PDA

View Full Version : Can non-HD pics be converted to HD?

DavidK
11-01-2015, 12:06 AM
Can non-HD pics be converted to HD? I have some non HD pics on my site which reviewers always rightly tell me need to be replaced with HD pics but one is of me in a uniform from many years ago and I have no uniforms anymore to take a new HD pic as I no longer get out in the field. Is there any way to convert my old pic of me in uniform to HD or something close to HD? Thanks.

anon
11-01-2015, 01:37 AM
Upscale + sharpen, of course :smilie4:

DavidK
11-01-2015, 02:55 PM
Upscale + sharpen, of course :smilie4:

Upscale + sharpen. Wow. Was that supposed to help? Ever considered specificity? Like the name of the photo editing software to use and what option(s)?

anon
11-02-2015, 01:55 AM
Upscale + sharpen. Wow. Was that supposed to help?

It's a common joke when someone asks this question :P

In short, you can't "make" what you'd call a high quality picture out of a low-resolution one. That only happens on CSI. I would try to find the original picture, assuming you still have it somewhere and it wasn't taken by a 0.3 MP camera phone or something similar.

atreus
11-16-2015, 08:49 PM
in one simple word: NO

DavidK
11-16-2015, 09:30 PM
in one simple word: NO

Cool, thanks for the straight answer. I did notice on YouTube that my non-HD video was uploaded and displayed by someone else this time as an HD video. Guess video can be converted to HD but not pics...weird as video is a sequence of many pics.

shaina
11-23-2015, 09:41 PM
Cool, thanks for the straight answer. I did notice on YouTube that my non-HD video was uploaded and displayed by someone else this time as an HD video. Guess video can be converted to HD but not pics...weird as video is a sequence of many pics.

You are asking a loaded question... Example, If you have a old photo/picture of family members (color not black and white), and you take it to a professional photographer known to edit and fill in colors, and charge you a arm and a leg, you sure can improve the quality of the photo..(I have done it many times on old family photos for special occasions)
But trying it yourself .. No you can't (tried it with all different fancy software myself and it didn't even come close to what the photographer did, or maybe time and patience had something to do with it)..
HD quality?? Using those words are loaded.. If you are happy with the finished product, i wouldn't care what it is called, as long as it is improved to your satisfaction, and you are happy with it..

If you live in Ontario Canada i can recommend a few photographers and they do a great job turning shit into gold...

PS. If you take a video that was not originally filmed in HD and you convert it ?? Do you really consider the finished product HD??:unsure:

simonwalker
01-01-2016, 11:43 AM
No.

whatcdfan
01-01-2016, 02:14 PM
Quality once lost from any digital media can't be retained. But you can alter the photos in such a way that wouldn't look weired upscaled. The most simplest of the techniques would be to first upscale the pic to your desired resolution then apply the blur ( there are many types of blurring , you have to select the one that suits your pic) and finally alter the "levels" There are numerous scripts for Photoshop/GIMP to remove noise from the image (blurring) with tons of different settings. You must have the patience to find the right combination of settings for the script you use which would be specific to your image.

Also, a non-HD movie can't be transcoded into an HD movie, you can't bend the laws of the physics.

VermonS
01-30-2016, 01:21 PM
Hi David. There are some photo editing softwares which promises to convert normal images to HD images like PicSizer and some online tools. Though I have never used it myself, still I wish it would be helpful for you.
Good Luck.

nerw
03-08-2016, 08:22 PM
⁣⁣

Joomladev
04-08-2016, 07:55 AM
Canva makes design simple for everyone. Create designs for Web or print: blog graphics, presentations, Facebook covers, flyers, posters, invitations and so on

You should try this.You have to register on the website. I think it would be helpful for you.

JonieDerby
04-29-2016, 05:03 AM
You may not be able to convert them to HD but depending on the picture maybe you can still improve their quality.
As for which software to use, you can try Photoshop or if you don't have the budget, you can use GIMP which is free.

rowingcowardice
09-13-2016, 01:03 PM
You can't turn a non HD pic into an HD one. You an try the upscale + sharpen technique but the image will never be HD quality. Here's a free software that you can try for that.

https://www.gimp.org/

validyeoman
03-28-2017, 01:56 AM
To make it simple, the answer is no.

Martinsmith
06-29-2017, 08:48 AM
No, pics cannot be converted in to HD..

lightshow
05-24-2018, 08:23 PM
Google's new machine learning RAISR looks promising for what you're looking to accomplish. You can try out some of the python SDKs for it on github!

https://www.pcmag.com/news/351027/google-raisr-intelligently-makes-low-res-images-high-quality

nQQ
05-26-2018, 07:39 PM
Upscaling involves spreading the pixels out and guessing what was in there. Sometimes video conversion route could look okay because they have multiple frames, so a good program can use that to make better guesses. It won't be as good as if it was shot in HD.

Assuming the still was always digital there is software out there that works better than others. Ones that use fractals or similar and analyse the image rather than simple guess missing pixels based on average of the colours around, work better but take longer.
You don't say what quality & resolution the original is verses what HD res you want.

rajputrana
06-29-2018, 06:27 PM
There are many site are available in internet.. you can convert pics into HD form through online these sites...

Gribley
06-29-2018, 09:07 PM
nQQ has the right response I think. I must admit didn`t consider that upscale would do a predictive algo based on previous/subsequent frames.... interesting idea but not sure that would work with anything mpeg encoded unless on key frame since a delta surely already encoded just the difference in a block anyway ? Could work in a raw format but would be a hell of a plugin to be able to work it out against movement etc.

rotansharma
08-10-2018, 08:30 AM
If you need to convert your image using HDR, you can use this tool to convert your image into the EXR format. You can also apply effects to alter your HDR

tony_stark
08-14-2018, 07:41 AM
Non HD pics are low resolution with low pixel then how can we make it HD pics

MacGyverSG1
08-14-2018, 11:08 AM
Non HD pics are low resolution with low pixel then how can we make it HD pics

You can't.

joneson
10-30-2018, 01:44 PM
Non-HD movies cannot be transcoded into HD movies

anon
10-31-2018, 07:54 AM
Non-HD movies cannot be transcoded into HD movies

What about upscales :P

MacGyverSG1
10-31-2018, 07:56 AM
I think too many people watch CSI and NCIS. Zooming in on security footage doesn't look pristine like it does on TV.

nQQ
11-03-2018, 09:44 AM
Non-HD movies cannot be transcoded into HD movies More likely than converting a still image. Upscaling any image/movie works by moving pixels apart and filling the gaps, so often you get fuzzy/blurry results because the gaps are filled by approximations or averages of surrounding pixels. For movies you have the surrounding frames to provide more information, e.g. where two pixels are part of the same object or separate ones. that can help making the approximations more accurate. It would be a painstaking process and not a simple transcoding process, and no guarantee results would be that much better.

Most formats people watch movies in are highly compressed versions using lossy compression i.e. a lot of information is thrown away as part of the compression, and when you watch a film it is uncompressed and the missing information is filled in with approximations.

Gribley
11-03-2018, 02:45 PM
Lossy compression is much more complicated than that but yes you can`t get away from the fact that is not an RGB raw format and as you say it has to lose detail. But I really appreciate how much things have moved forward since VCD encodes (granted a lot because of hardware decoding).... a new world. Just look at a raw TS rip to see the difference!

nQQ
11-03-2018, 09:15 PM
Ah VCD encodes - the picture would just pixelate to hell at a complex scene. Was been a bit flippant as the compression algorithms are very good and the hardware allows realtime decodes.

Markdc123
11-05-2018, 04:58 AM
Hi,
Nowadays, some photo converters apps and programs are available online that can convert your normal pics to HD pics like Apowersoft, convertimage etc.you can take help from these and convert your images.

anon
03-02-2019, 10:53 PM
https://waifu2x.me/ :unsure:

johnsmith9200
05-02-2019, 11:24 AM
Increment Resolution. Open your document in Adobe Photoshop. Press "Move Ctrl-I" to open the Image Size discourse box. Turn on the "Resample Image" check box and set the goals to 300 pixels for every inch.