PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia equivalent of the MSI R9 270X?

Mr. Mulder
12-21-2015, 09:59 PM
Skipping a long boring story, my gfx card is fucked and I'm done with AMD/ATI now <_<

I want to get the Nvidia equivalent of what I had - I understand there are no true equivalents when comparing the two brands, given the different technologies they use. But I'd rather be recommended something slightly better than slightly worse...

I don't care about future proofing, there's pretty much only two games I play - Fallout 4 and GTA5 - my R9270x 2GB handled FO4 on High Settings with ease (it recommended Ultra but there was noticeable stuttering in large, built up areas) and it handled GTA5 on mid to high... what should I get Nvidia wise as a replacement?

Again, the above is all I'd use it for as far as recent games go - I don't need a super expensive high end card.

I've used a popular Internet search engine to pose this question but nearly every result contradicts the other and I trust you guys, not with my life or virginity but with my hardware...

IdolEyes787
12-22-2015, 02:49 PM
In the 200- 300 dollar range you're basically looking at either the GTX 960 or a newer model 760 with the Maxwell technology.

Or not as like you I'm basically basing my opinion on what I found on the internet.That said you probably won't get anything better unless you want to double your budget and even then you won't be able to play everything on ultra with VR capabilities until you spend 1000 bucks which is frankly ludicrous unless your name is Bill Gates.If you are then you're old and funny looking so it's still a win/lose situation.

Whatever you get just be aware that prices and quality vary greatly between brands even on seemingly identical cards.

Mr. Mulder
12-22-2015, 04:03 PM
Wurd to your words. This looks like it might do the job. :eyebrows:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B012G7VCGU/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1450798295&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=gtx+960+4gb&dpPl=1&dpID=51b9Vnc5buL&ref=plSrch

IdolEyes787
12-22-2015, 05:20 PM
Yeah 960 seems to be the better card, just depends if you're willing to ante up the extra squid or not.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487091&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Desktop+Graphics+Cards-_-N82E16814487091&gclid=Cj0KEQiAr9ymBRDdqYrH6Mj5170BEiQAcRUsi2fANR-KzdPNlYzZd0yYKt8Vg4ozLE0-rT02Iret8cIaAiyu8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

This review is from: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 02G-P4-2966-KR 2GB SSC GAMING w/ACX 2.0+, Whisper Silent Cooling Graphics Card

Pros: Decent price (bought when newegg had it on sale). Pretty quiet. Low power consumption. Able to handle every game I've thrown at it. Easy install. Crushes anything current gaming consoles have.
Cons: None that I can see thus far. Will update review if anything happens.
Other Thoughts: I upgraded from a radeon 7770 1gb card. There were no issues going from AMD to Nvidia. My goal was to see an improvement in fallout 4. Went from low-med settings with my 7770 (sometimes dipping as low as 25fps) to now being able to run on ultra with a steady 60fps. No regrets. Really digging the card. Thank you EVGA & newegg.

Skiz
12-23-2015, 07:21 AM
EVGA GTX960 Superclocked or GTFO.

Mr. Mulder
12-23-2015, 07:54 AM
Wurd? Is that the best version of a 960? I'm Def gonna make the jump from 2GB to 4GB this time, you know how those GTA settings are :pinch:

Skiz
12-23-2015, 08:05 AM
I love EVGA SC cards. The last 2 cards I've had fit that and they've been gangster as fk. I have this one (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130932) right now and would like a second for SLI but I can't find that exact one.

I really don't like buying GPU's very often bc they depreciate so fast. :no:

I've also had my eye on an LG ultrawide 34" curved monitor for a while now. I currently have 2 x 24" Dell Ultrasharps that I may be selling off and making the switch. Don't really feel like dropping an extra $500 on a GPU too. :pinch:

Mr. Mulder
12-23-2015, 09:38 AM
That EVGA 4GB equivalent is like £50 moar than the vanilla one I linked to, is it worth it lyke? :eyebrows: I never OC anything, is it that it comes configured with moar jiggawotts out of the box? :eyebrows:

You could move your ultra sharps so that they sit more at a curved angle, I just saved you $100,0000 :smilie4:

IdolEyes787
12-23-2015, 05:37 PM
From what I can find the only real possible need of the 4 GB is if you have a monitor that runs native resolutions of over 1080p or if like skiz you run dual monitors.

Of course the problem is that on the internet everyone's an expert even if they aren't.

Links to some stuff that you will skim though and probably ignore.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-nvidia-geforce-gtx-960-2gb-vs-4gb-review

They tested games all take ridiculous amount of graphics power.I have a fairly high end card and Assassin's Creed suggests I should play on low.:mellow:I told it to fuck off and I play on high anyway, the racist.

http://techreport.com/review/27806/five-geforce-gtx-960-cards-overclocked

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2684508/gtx-960-2gb-4gb.html

If you want to know what I'd do and taking into account you don't and that I really don't know what I'm talking about, then I'd opt for the "better" card if the price difference isn't a significant one and just as long as it doesn't exceed whatever vague budget I've already set in my head knowing that's already a stupid amount.

Technology is like Chinese food, even if you get what you want and at the time it was very satisfying, sooner than later it's going still to leave you with that empty feeling.

Also Merry Christmas because......

megabyteme
12-24-2015, 01:07 AM
"640K is more memory than anyone will ever need on a computer,"

STHNSv3
12-31-2015, 07:11 PM
See meg there is no actual proof Gates actually even said that BUT its just mostly quoted and common mistake people who are computer illiterate makes.

Now during the time when comment allegedly took place was during the 80's where IBM just replaced its unit with 640KB memory limit. As most initial PC were based on 8088 which was 8/16bit processor thus memory limit was 640KB. Now keep in mind Bill Gates himself denied ever making that comment as we know in late 90s. So even if he was defending IBM 3 decades ago on its standard then again it all worked out as he was hit in the face with pie. But anyways just like the comment that Al Gore invented THE internet people always misquote this also.

IdolEyes787
12-31-2015, 07:36 PM
See meg there is no actual proof Gates actually even said that BUT its just mostly quoted and common mistake people who are computer illiterate makes.

As opposed to just being fundamentally illiterate like you.:mellow:

STHNSv3
12-31-2015, 08:27 PM
As opposed to just being fundamentally illiterate like you.:mellow:

This is coming from the simpleton who thinks English Toast is not actual thing lol btw nice post count still can't find 1 single post where the IQ meter went over 90 huh?

:pets IdiotEye's head: go on lil fella FLY away... damn Canadians dumb as a rock aye.

IdolEyes787
12-31-2015, 08:53 PM
Google "English toast" and tell me what you find, mon amie.:mellow:

mjmacky
01-02-2016, 01:38 AM
Don't take my advice about anything graphics related because I have to pull up system information every time I need to reference my model number.

I have converted completely to a laptop lifestyle. My desktop has been in bubble wrap for 5 months and I don't see it being unsheathed any time soon. I have this Clevo/Sager notebook, which is equipped with a mobile GeForce GTX 970M, and I couldn't be happier with it. The desktop version must have much bigger tits if you're into that. I've been disappointed in every video card before this (mostly ATI), so that's why I think it might be something. The GeForce Experience (GFE) application also cured my resolution and video setting problems for Fallout 4 (only works if I launch the game via GFE), which also grabs and applies optimal settings for games on your system (I never bothered to find out if the settings are any good).

Now, there are several manufacturers including these higher end chipsets into their video cards, but I don't really know who's on the ball at the moment since I haven't seriously window shopped for computer components in at least 5 years (could be 3 years or 10 years, but I'm bad with long periods of time).

None of this was a recommendation. I'm just satisfied with what I presently maintain, and you suck. Extract what you can from the drivel, but don't forget to blow me when you're done.

STHNSv3
01-02-2016, 02:13 AM
I have also done away with PC in ATX desktop infrastructure last month and fully moved to laptop, as other then server I don't use any systems other than laptop now. Far as graphic goes I was never upto date on graphic as I don't play video games so I can careless as mostly all my work is done on server via CLI while on laptop as I use GDE/XDE. Currently I have tweaked my graphic config to allocate both my HD4600 and GTX 860M and scale and utilize both depending on load balance. However I do care about the 4k display i'm using :) as uHD is a must at least and min 1080p as standard. I did Computer Visual Modeling, Graphic Design, Multimedia decade ago so I don't need to use high end 3D graphic models any more to render, edit, ect.

Hive Division - Metal Gear Solid Philanthropy.avi (725.35 MB)
ed2k://|file|Hive%20Division%20-%20Metal%20Gear%20Solid%20Philanthropy.avi|760585100|BEA87FF710D5FE1B4D54B6160C2AB05F|h=ZQGFZHMFOWPIJ3QO7NYJD6K3XKACZKY6|/

IdolEyes787
01-02-2016, 12:54 PM
I have also done away with PC in ATX desktop infrastructure last month and fully moved to laptop, as other then server I don't use any systems other than laptop now. Far as graphic goes I was never upto date on graphic as I don't play video games so I can careless as mostly all my work is done on server via CLI while on laptop as I use GDE/XDE. Currently I have tweaked my graphic config to allocate both my HD4600 and GTX 860M and scale and utilize both depending on load balance. However I do care about the 4k display i'm using :) as uHD is a must at least and min 1080p as standard. I did Computer Visual Modeling, Graphic Design, Multimedia decade ago so I don't need to use high end 3D graphic models any more to render, edit, ect.

Hive Division - Metal Gear Solid Philanthropy.avi (725.35 MB)
ed2k://|file|Hive%20Division%20-%20Metal%20Gear%20Solid%20Philanthropy.avi|760585100|BEA87FF710D5FE1B4D54B6160C2AB05F|h=ZQGFZHMFOWPIJ3QO7NYJD6K3XKACZKY6|/

This is literally a true internet story.

I looked up the phrase "tedious poseur" on Google and your picture was the first thing that popped up.

If this post bothers you, well frankly I couldn't careless.

mjmacky
01-02-2016, 02:05 PM
If this post bothers you, well frankly I couldn't careless.

Throw caution to the wind every once in awhile, Safety Steve.

IdolEyes787
01-02-2016, 03:03 PM
STDSv3 sees what you did there, Steve.

I did too although admittedly there was some smoke in the brain area involved.
Then again you probably can't play the harpsichord anywhere near as well as I can.

mjmacky
01-03-2016, 08:46 AM
STDSv3 sees what you did there, Steve.

I did too although admittedly there was some smoke in the brain area involved.
Then again you probably can't play the harpsichord anywhere near as well as I can.

You've got me there, maestro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozjQ1UrK0eM

Mr. Mulder
01-06-2016, 09:47 PM
I went with the EVGA 960 2GB in the end, it's the first Nvidia card I've ever owned. Nvidia drivers are weird. I know what's what with the AMD Catalyst but this GeForce Experience stuff I don't know about, apparently if you launch games from within it they play better or something? I can't be bothered with all that, just went for the basic driver install :ermm:

I noticed a difference straightaway with Fallout 4 - I can play it on ultra now (with god rays turned off), with the R9270x it recommended ultra but would stutter... GTA looks a lot cleaner now too, mid to high settings with the real card eating settings turned down.

mjmacky
01-06-2016, 10:33 PM
apparently if you launch games from within it they play better or something?

Do it. Just mess with it once, and it will all be easier after that, unlike bus rides.