PDA

View Full Version : Hardware Anyone Got a Chromebook?

megabyteme
02-05-2016, 09:09 AM
Seriously considering one. Anyone lived with one for a while? Thoughts? Raves? Regrets?

I'm actually leaning towards an Acer 740 (http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Chromebook-C740-C4PE-11-6-inch-16GB/dp/B00SQG3MQE) series or one of their R11 with a touchscreen (http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/professional-model/NX.G55AA.003). Don't mind spending up to $400.

I want to be able to put Kodi on it, so a Linux-friendly processor and 4GB of RAM are necessary.

-------------------

In a mostly-unrelated note, I got my surveillance cameras fully operational and positioned. I'll eventually get everything connected via my phones and computers so I can keep an eye on things remotely. Well, mostly just to make the neighbor's life Hell for letting his dog crap all over the street, and his cats acting like they live here.

Nothing brings back the spirit of my Northern Idaho roots and 'Git OFF MY LAND' hospitality like a new set of HD cameras. :gunsmilie:photo:

IdolEyes787
02-05-2016, 01:25 PM
-------------------

In a mostly-unrelated note, I got my surveillance cameras fully operational and positioned. I'll eventually get everything connected via my phones and computers so I can keep an eye on things remotely.

This troubles me greatly*.
You own guns and surveillance cameras for "home protection".

It appears that unless you are a drug dealer, you are one short crazy step from living in an underground bunker in the wilds of North Dakota.

But I digress and to properly answer your question.... Regrets, I've had a few but then again too few to mention.

* Though to be fair, not as much as Gribley's belief that he is somehow a better person than me because of what we choose to post on this shithole of a site.

Gribley
02-05-2016, 03:34 PM
* Though to be fair, not as much as Gribley's belief that he is somehow a better person than me because of what we choose to post on this shithole of a site.
Are we going down that route again..... I assume that is where you want to be so I`ll leave you alone.

megabyteme
02-05-2016, 05:36 PM
-------------------

In a mostly-unrelated note, I got my surveillance cameras fully operational and positioned. I'll eventually get everything connected via my phones and computers so I can keep an eye on things remotely.

This troubles me greatly*.
You own guns and surveillance cameras for "home protection".

It appears that unless you are a drug dealer, you are one short crazy step from living in an underground bunker in the wilds of North Dakota.

But I digress and to properly answer your question.... Regrets, I've had a few but then again too few to mention.

Crazy is good- crazy keeps assholes at bay*. Granted, it's The Cold War all over again, but it is also a hobby. As soon as AI gets good enough (and prices come down) to determine with 100% accuracy the difference between a chicken and a cat (cock or pussy joke in there somewhere), I'll have sentry guns and drones. Ahhh, the future looks bright! :w00t:

And Shirley, there's got to be many other reasons why Grimbley is a better person than you. :idunno:

mjmacky
02-05-2016, 09:28 PM
so I can keep an eye on things remotely.

My last girlfriend's parents lived in Orlando, but not a busy part of Orlando. You had to drive miles through a forest until you ended up in a completely isolated neighborhood without any stores within a reasonable radius.

Their place was fully monitored, so they watched me as I stepped out front to smoke my cigarette in private and probably were trying to catch me in the act of tossing the butt somewhere.

To my point, what's the deal with the correlation between nothing to look at and the desire to look at it? A burning log in a fireplace was a hit show in Norway or something, and Meg is bent on keeping an eye on Idaho. Is it like scoring a goal in real football, where the scarcity makes it more exciting? Like, a potato rolling down the street is way more of a highlight in Idaho than a potato carrying a knife and chasing a homeless man down the subway stairs in New York.

megabyteme
02-05-2016, 09:32 PM
I am no longer in Idaho. I'm like 90 miles from there, so :tease: .

My neighbors pissed me off. The cameras are there to make them uncomfortable and (hopefully) make them not be disgusting, lousy pet owners. Surely you understand the glee of purely being an asshole after putting up with someone far too long. The proctoscope they are receiving is very justified.

And ANYTHING chasing a homeless man tends to be entertaining.

Skiz
02-05-2016, 10:21 PM
You moved away from Idaho? When did you move to Idaho? :blink:

IdolEyes787
02-05-2016, 10:24 PM
Totally unrelated but what is it with people that they no longer live their own lives but instead copy their personas from things they've seen in some video?

This is white guys in Utah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqD_zyWgU30

And I now present literally the definition of douche.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhluGals_1Y

megabyteme
02-06-2016, 12:12 AM

Mary seemed confused. I grew up there.

mjmacky
02-06-2016, 03:02 AM

The last I knew, you were still there, and I don't remember seeing anything about a move. How long has it been?

megabyteme
02-06-2016, 03:35 AM
The last I knew, you were still there, and I don't remember seeing anything about a move. How long has it been?

28 years.

shaina
02-06-2016, 04:46 AM
28 years.

Well that is a foot in the mouth:slap:... Or a broom handle straight up the Poop Shoot!!:O Pick your choice Macky:D

Seriously considering one. Anyone lived with one for a while? Thoughts? Raves? Regrets?
I'm actually leaning towards an Acer 740 (http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Chromebook-C740-C4PE-11-6-inch-16GB/dp/B00SQG3MQE) series or one of their R11 with a touchscreen (http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/professional-model/NX.G55AA.003). Don't mind spending up to $400.
I want to be able to put Kodi on it, so a Linux-friendly processor and 4GB of RAM are necessary.

Just look at the hard drive space??:cry:
If you don't mind plugging in external hard drives all the time looks great...
I got my son this one a while back and found it at Staples under $300 on sale with 3 year warranty (battery replacement as well on the warranty uses it for school because the tables were too small for a 15" laptop)..But the downfall of this one is you can only use 2gigs of ram(I see you need/want 4gigs??) but at least a 500gig hard drive

http://www.amazon.ca/ASUS-X205-11-6-Laptop-VERSION/dp/B00OBA5AZU/ref=pd_sim_sbs_147_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=51kHKTYE2yL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1Z78XAQEJN2DZ8HSXFR9

And as far as i know you can wipe any operating system on PC laptops and put whatever operating system you want on it:D
But Skiz may be able to be more accurate on that answer:yup:

megabyteme
02-06-2016, 06:37 AM
28 years.

Well that is a foot in the mouth:slap:... Or a broom handle straight up the Poop Shoot!!:O Pick your choice Macky:D

I especially enjoyed that because Mary so rarely gets caught with anything like that. :happy:

As for the computer, I actually want to run Chrome. I think there's a lot of potential and it seems some people are quite happy with it. Most of the programs on this Netbook I use constantly to visit with you guys on go unused. I figure it is worth a shot for my online and schools stuff. The touchscreen and ability to run android apps seems like it might be decent, as well. Just wanted to know if anyone else had taken the plunge. The idea of Windows 10 makes my skin crawl.

shaina
02-06-2016, 08:16 AM
As for the computer, I actually want to run Chrome. I think there's a lot of potential and it seems some people are quite happy with it. Most of the programs on this Netbook I use constantly to visit with you guys on go unused. I figure it is worth a shot for my online and schools stuff. The touchscreen and ability to run android apps seems like it might be decent, as well. Just wanted to know if anyone else had taken the plunge. The idea of Windows 10 makes my skin crawl.

First off.. Any new laptop i would purchase the first thing i do is wipe Windows 10 and put 7 on.. As for touch screen i guess you have to go to at least Windows 8 for that, but your idea of running Chrome might be the right idea:D..(To me it is a Ipad alternative or competitor :idunno:)
The only problem is the Hard Drive space on those laptops, and programs fill it up fast???:cry:
And i couldn't see myself lugging around a external hard drive and plugging it in all the time..
As i said i bought my son the ASUS 11.6" for school and my daughter we got the 14" ASUS touch-screen for school, it has windows 8 on it and she loves it:D..

Like i said if you think the Hard Drive is big enough for you, go for it:thumbsup:

Does look cool:cool:

megabyteme
02-06-2016, 08:21 AM
Google Drive takes place of large HDD space. Between 32GB SSD, a 64GB SD card, and 100GB online storage, I think I'd be covered.

shaina
02-06-2016, 08:42 AM
Google Drive takes place of large HDD space. Between 32GB SSD, a 64GB SD card, and 100GB online storage, I think I'd be covered.

Sounds Good:D

calvin
02-26-2016, 12:17 PM
You're probably used to a traditional laptop that runs Microsoft Windows. You'll need to think a little differently when it comes to using your Chromebook.

Chrome OS looks a lot like the Chrome browser you may have used on that traditional Windows laptop, but it's a full application platform in its own right. You have access to additional software through the Chrome Web Store, and many of the features and functions you'll want can be installed with the click of a button.

But some of the features and software you're used to having on another laptop aren't going to be available. Your new Chromebook isn't going to run Crysis, because Crysis isn't available. The same goes for full Microsoft Office (though Google Docs is a fair substitute for most things, and Microsoft is improving its online Office product regularly).

If you use a laptop to work and play online, chances are your new Chromebook will be perfect, but don't expect to be able to buy third-party software and drop in a CD to install