PDA

View Full Version : Is A 25-30 Minute Gym Workout, 3 Times A Week Good

Vamp
11-24-2003, 09:21 PM
Last year December I used to be rather large... 90KG (198)

Over the last year I've been going to gym doing strictly cardio workouts, I'm not into weight-training or things like that.when I was trying to lose weight, I'd go on a execycle for about 50 minutes, on level 1 (out of 12) which is basically the equivalent of cycling on a straight road. About 2 months ago I reached my goal of 141 pounds (64 KG) But by then I had toned down my workout to around 25-30 minutes at level 3 - 4

I'm now doing 25-30 minutes at level 4-6, which is bacially the same as riding uphill and now weigh 60 KG (132lbs) which is bordering the line of being underweight according to my BMI, although I have a naturally medium-big, broad-shouldered build...

I'm basically going to gym now to keep my weight stable, but I seem to be losing weight faster now, which is an added bonus. I don't eat any junk food and eat lots of fruit, drink lots of fruit juice and basically eat right.

I consider myself pretty fit now, I can walk long distances with friends whose fitness I used to hold in high-regard, and still be going strong while they're huffing and puffin'

I can also do a 1 1/2 hour Ninjutsu class without breaking a sweat.

Should I carry on doing Gym at this method or push up the time, because it's almost Summer holidays here in South Africa, I'll probably go 4 times a week?

I'm 15, and am around 5'6... Last year I was 5.4 or so... OBESE!!!!

My BMI is now 21... But as I said, I have a naturally big build, as all the guys in my family have, so I'll never actually be stick thin, but I'm thin enough now that you can tap on my jutting out hip bones and hear a pleasent thocking sound
Believe it or not, I'd prefer to be lanky than muscularly defined, although I am semi-defined because of my natural build... I get freaked out if I see that I've gained weight even if it is muscle mass... It's a phobia of mine, and I know it's stupid... But it bugs me...

Now, this dilema is really bugging me.... Please read and give feedback on this... I'm terrified!

I'm going to camp for 20 days on December the ninth, so I wont be able to go to gym for those 20 days... So I'm terrified of gaining weight! But I'll be jogging on the beach for around 30-45 minutes every day... And there will be very balanced meals served... Apparently most people lose weight at camp because of the lack of junk food and the fact that there're activities such as volleyball, soccer, beach time, hikes and stuff... Think that there's a very low chance of gaining weight at a camp for 20 days with no conventional gym just natural exercise and healthy food?

callum
11-24-2003, 09:38 PM
I read all of that :o
I thought the answer to your question would be obvious.

Vamp
11-24-2003, 09:40 PM
They aren't to me... I need some advice and opinions... I'm bordering on becoming Anorexic :huh:

callum
11-24-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Vamp@24 November 2003 - 21:40
They aren't to me... I need some advice and opinions... I'm bordering on becoming Anorexic :huh:
So you want to know if you will put on weight by jogging for 35-40 minutes a day, eating a balanced diet and taking part in a variety of activities such as such as volleyball, soccer, beach time and hikes.

LTJBukem
11-24-2003, 09:45 PM
What a self indulgent thread. :lol:

Seriously though, well done for losing the weight. Good for you!!

I think that you should pay serious attention to your fitness/diet regime, so as not to continue losing weight. Yes, by all means continue to exercise, if not to lose weight then for cardio vascular fitness, but consider that having lost your excess weight, you will now need to increase your calorific intake. Also, having lost so much weight, consult your GP/Doctor/Physician for a check up.

:)

fugley
11-24-2003, 09:59 PM
Personally I am an exponent of furious wanking!!! The pounds just drop off!

And me has a mighty meaty handshake too!! :blink:

Vamp
11-24-2003, 10:00 PM
Thanks Man !

I'm already very psycholoically damaged from it all... I'm trying to get over it myself, I'm not anorexic, but I'm like Nicholas Cage's character in Matchstick Men... I have obsessive compulsive disorder regarding my weight, I'll spend hours looking in a mirror to make sure my stomach is totally flat and that I havn't gained any fat... I have to do this like 5 times a day... But I'm slowly working over it... I'm not sure how much body fat I have, but I can only feel loose skin on my body...

Callum, I'm asking you if that's a good enough substitue for gym...

Illuminati
11-24-2003, 10:31 PM
If you don't want to drop any exercise in the danger of becoming obese again, why not substitute some of your CV routine with some weight exercise?

As you said, you don't really like it - So take about 5 minutes out of each extensive CV activity (roughly those that are longer than 15 minutes) and use that spare time doing some weight exercise machines for about 5-10-15 minutes (depending on how much you think is enough). As it goes on, keep shortening the CV and increasing the weight work until you find a great balance between the two. The result should be that the fat should stay off for a while, and in the meantime you'd be building your muscles up a bit more :D

I use to do that when I did exercise routines for a long while - Then the bloody borough council demo&#39;d the town&#39;s baths (which contained my regular gym) in July. Now the weight&#39;s come back on <_<

Vamp
11-24-2003, 11:54 PM
I have quite a bit of loose skin, which, fortunatly is not repulsive, but it&#39;s there... When I run, or jump up and down, you can clearly see pronounced abdominal muscle definition, I&#39;m assuming this is from the situps I do some nights...

Because of the loose skin, will that definition never be fully visible, unless I&#39;m running or jumping, not just standing still, or will the more exercises I do, the more hardened the muscles will get and will eventually push against the loose skin and be visible all the time? They&#39;re pretty damn hard now, but there is a layer of loose skin over them...

Would doing exercises that will result in serious muscle definition make me gain weight? Whether or not it&#39;s muscle mass, I prefer seeing 60 KG when I step on a scale.

Also, about the camp question, will those camp activities and meals and beach-jogging be a good enough substitue for what I do at gym now, therefore meaning that I&#39;ll either lose weight, or stay the same weight I am now and the chances of gaining weight are very very very slim?

callum
11-25-2003, 12:01 AM
At your age, you are still growing. You could be doing yourself more harm than good.

•Balla•
11-25-2003, 12:01 AM
ok so i didnt read waht everyone said but lol 20 days dont worry you wont gain weight so you can go camping and you wont get fat and you said you do only cardio? start weight lifting too because when you weight lift and you build more muscle and then you do cardio you will burn off the fat

also if you plan on weight lifting dont work on each muscle more then once or twice a week.... if you have aim IM me on e 1337 kr3w ill help ya out

•Balla•
11-25-2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by callum@25 November 2003 - 00:01
At your age, you are still growing. You could be doing yourself more harm than good.
sorry to be an ass

but if you dont know what your talking about then dont talk

thats WRONG im 14 and i have been workin out since i was 13 and NO ITS NOT BAD for you its actually good for you. people just spread myths such as if your too young and weight lift you wont grow

callum
11-25-2003, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by •Balla•+25 November 2003 - 00:03--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (•Balla• &#064; 25 November 2003 - 00:03)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-callum@25 November 2003 - 00:01
sorry to be an ass

but if you dont know what your talking about then dont talk

thats WRONG im 14 and i have been workin out since i was 13 and NO ITS NOT BAD for you its actually good for you. people just spread myths such as if your too young and weight lift you wont grow [/b][/quote]
So you are saying it is ok to be severely under weight, while your body is still developing.

We already know your an ass Octopussy.

•Balla•
11-25-2003, 12:11 AM
dude look you dont know anything about weight lifting/diet trust me he said what? 132 lbs? wait hold on

wtf

weight has nothign to do with this

callum
11-25-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by •Balla•@25 November 2003 - 00:11
I think you&#39;ll find it is the main point if this whole thread.

•Balla•
11-25-2003, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by callum+25 November 2003 - 00:13--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (callum @ 25 November 2003 - 00:13)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-•Balla•@25 November 2003 - 00:11
I think you&#39;ll find it is the main point if this whole thread. [/b][/quote]
hmmm i thought you hijacked this topic by saying So you are saying it is ok to be severely under weight, while your body is still developing.

and i said weight has nothign to do with this ( with body building) OWNED

callum
11-25-2003, 12:27 AM
In reply to your first point :blink:
In reply to your second :blink: :blink:

•Balla•
11-25-2003, 12:31 AM
:unsure:

Spindulik
11-25-2003, 02:59 AM
Hmmm...

I sit around eating cheese curls watching movies all day. I guess I can&#39;t help you there.

•Balla•
11-25-2003, 04:03 AM
you should....go exercise....unless you wana die early&#33;....

kAb
11-25-2003, 05:34 AM
i play water polo. i&#39;m thin. but i&#39;m also short.

probably the most physically demanding game.

but thats my opinion :D

so i&#39;m good to go http://www.mcbriens.net/liam/img/smilies/thmbup.gif

of course that has nothing to do with you.

i&#39;m not you so i&#39;m sorry, can&#39;t help.

•Balla•
11-25-2003, 05:40 AM
water polo? like marco and polo?

sparsely¹
11-25-2003, 05:49 AM
If it&#39;s a co-ed camp, I&#39;d recommend eating as much *expletive deleted* as possible.
Having that on the cafeteria table will impress your friends far more than your fragile physique.

Vamp
11-25-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by •Balla•@25 November 2003 - 00:01
ok so i didnt read waht everyone said but lol 20 days dont worry you wont gain weight so you can go camping and you wont get fat and you said you do only cardio? start weight lifting too because when you weight lift and you build more muscle and then you do cardio you will burn off the fat

also if you plan on weight lifting dont work on each muscle more then once or twice a week.... if you have aim IM me on e 1337 kr3w ill help ya out
I&#39;m not worried about getting fat... I&#39;m worried about gaining any weight at all... IS it possible to go through 20 days of camp, just joggin&#39; on the beach, playing soccer, volleyball, swimming, hiking etc and not gain any weight? I want to stay stable at 132, I&#39;ll be happy to lose a few pounds (Not that I need to) But I&#39;ll be broken if I gain, just a grams will piss me off...

If I were to start swimming as exercise, and my muscles became more defined (as is the case with most swimmers) would that muscle definition cause me to gain weight? (muscle mass weight)

I don&#39;t want to gain any weight at all, whether it&#39;s muscle or not...

LTJBukem
11-25-2003, 06:38 PM
What are you expecting to hear? There are so many influencing factors, how can anyone possibly answer your question?

I&#39;m not being nasty when i say this, but your self obsession sounds quite worrying, i&#39;d speak to a doctor about it.

:)

Knights of the Round
11-25-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Vamp+25 November 2003 - 15:41--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Vamp @ 25 November 2003 - 15:41)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-•Balla•@25 November 2003 - 00:01
ok so i didnt read waht everyone said but lol 20 days dont worry you wont gain weight&nbsp; so you can go camping and you wont get fat and you said you do only cardio? start weight lifting too because when you weight lift and you build more muscle and then you do cardio you will burn off the fat

also if you plan on weight lifting&nbsp; dont work on each muscle more then once or twice a week.... if you have aim IM me on e 1337 kr3w ill help ya out
I&#39;m not worried about getting fat... I&#39;m worried about gaining any weight at all... IS it possible to go through 20 days of camp, just joggin&#39; on the beach, playing soccer, volleyball, swimming, hiking etc and not gain any weight? I want to stay stable at 132, I&#39;ll be happy to lose a few pounds (Not that I need to) But I&#39;ll be broken if I gain, just a grams will piss me off...

If I were to start swimming as exercise, and my muscles became more defined (as is the case with most swimmers) would that muscle definition cause me to gain weight? (muscle mass weight)

I don&#39;t want to gain any weight at all, whether it&#39;s muscle or not... [/b][/quote]
what the hell?

why are you afraid to gain muscle weight????

Vamp
11-26-2003, 09:26 AM
Believe it or not, I feel alot better when I see very low weight appear on the scale, more than a heavy weight, even if it is alll muscle mass... My mind is fucked over this... Losing so much weight is seriously a thing with some bad side effects

MUSLEMAN
11-26-2003, 12:36 PM
losing weight is 80% diet, eat 4 times a day first 2 meals consist of: 30 grams complex carbs( whole wheat, brown rice, yams, oat meal) 30 grams protien(chicken, turkey, tuna)

next 2 meals are 30 grams of protien again with vegatalbes, no carbs

do your cradio in the morning first thing when you wake up( this way you body has no carbs to burn so when you train you are burning mostly fat, instead of spending anywhere from 15 to 25 minutes burning carbs first then fat)

give your self a cheat meal once a week but don&#39;t go crazy,

do your cardio 5 times a week with 2 days off

remember what you are doing is like draining a bucked full of water
there is a small hole at the bottom of the bucket( your workout)
and there is water being pured in to the bucket (your food)

as you can imagin if and how fast the bucket drains does not realy rely on the samll hole at the bottom but the amount of water being pured in the bucket

as far as weight taining goes you need to break up your body parts to 1 big and 1 samll muscle group a day :

mon= chest and triceps(day 1)

tuestsay= quads and calvs(day 2)

wed= lats and biceps(day 3)

thur= hams and calvs(day 4)

fri= shoulder and traps(day 5)

train each muscle group once a week only otherwise you are over training, despite of how you feel, remember just like eveything else there needs to be balance otherwise your plan is going to crash at some point

i recommend doing it like this

mon= workout(day 1)

tuesday workout(day 2)

wed= rest

thur= workout(day 3)

friday workout(day 4)

sat= rest

sun= workout(day 5)
now this is the las of the 5 day split so take 2 days off and repeat the 2days on and 1 day off with the 2 day break at the end of the 5 day split again

good luck feel free to pm me or ask questions and remember better to be healthy and as a side effect look great then to just lose weight, which is not being healthy every time