PDA

View Full Version : Unwanted hardware

JonieDerby
04-24-2016, 11:33 AM
There are a lot of hardware in our office which are no longer needed because they are either very outdated or broken. And I'm wondering what we can do with them.
What do you do with your unwanted hardware?

anon
04-25-2016, 01:16 AM
Define "very outdated". Even a 15 year old computer can work well as a file server, router/firewall, or point of sale terminal. For the broken ones, you can rescue the parts that still work, keep them as spares, and sell the remaining scrap metal :P

JonieDerby
04-29-2016, 04:59 AM
I don't know exactly how outdated they are but they do look like they're 15 years old. Not everything, but some.
I don't know if my supervisor will approve of recycling them to use as file server, router/firewall, or POS terminal like you've said but maybe he will since we just launched a go-green program. We even hired a company (http://www.ecova.com/solutions/commercial-industrial/facility-optimization/continuous-monitoring-management.aspx) to help us minimize our energy consumption.
Anyway, if they don't approve, maybe we can donate them to somebody who needs them?
For the broken ones, that seems a lot of work and I might need to get the help of someone who'll know what to do.
Thanks for the tips!