PDA

View Full Version : Re-Encoding media and your take on it?

AdmiralSmith
08-21-2016, 06:11 PM
If a person re-encodes a media collection for online sharing and gives credit back to the original encoder then do you believe the person is stealing their glory? I just do not like media files that contain multiple languages and captions so I strip them out.

mjmacky
08-22-2016, 02:59 AM
If a person re-encodes a media collection for online sharing and gives credit back to the original encoder then do you believe the person is stealing their glory? I just do not like media files that contain multiple languages and captions so I strip them out.
If we're assigning glory now, the only party that should be receiving any is the group of original content producers (production staff, actors, etc.). Fuck anyone else trying to establish themselves as needing credit just because they encoded it. They're just as easily replaced as a distributor.

Gribley
08-22-2016, 09:19 AM

You`ve mixed up re-encoding with stripping bits from an MKV container. Not really the same thing.

I re-encode the TS stream now and again to bump up sharpness, brightness and/or de-blocking (all the nice MSU filters) but that is just for personal use and I have the time to waste. They'll be a bluray rip soon after anyway. Don`t have the skills or tools to sort out shite audio but there is always the HC HK subs to fall back on :D

mjmacky
08-23-2016, 02:44 AM
Also, group names are essentially a matter of convenience. If you've been satisfied with a group's releases, you can probably expect the same experience from other stuff (regarding playback).

Case in point: you know that whichever group's encodes you grabbed have extra stuff in the containers. Since that may be useful to others, it would be better to tag it with your own name if you repackage the containers. Another way would be to modify their name to indicate what was done.