PDA

View Full Version : Request for Help with Mac

Monk3
08-24-2016, 08:00 PM
Hi,

A close friend of mine has been gifted a apple laptop. I know PCs inside and out but no nothing of Macs. I tried to help him get set up with usenet like I did with his old PC laptop but despite surfing for quite a while I am just hitting wall after wall and I assume it is because of my ignorance of the Apple OS. I tried searching for 'best usenet client for mac' tried to install one of them but got a 'this isn't a apple store product' error message.

All I need to know is what is a good client to install, that will install and what do apple users use for decompression software (I have always used WinRAR). That should do it. I can muddle around with their "Finder" app for the rest and I imagine configuring the client will be pretty straight forward.

Thanks for any help from anyone with some Mac knowledge!

M

banyon
08-25-2016, 12:58 AM
Just install SABnzbd. Is the same for Mac and PC. Worked for me on my Macbook.

Skiz
08-25-2016, 03:39 AM
Second vote here for sabnzbd. Web based. Essentially the same on any system. Highly versatile.

SenseiChaz
08-25-2016, 11:29 AM
I've used Panic's Unison. I believe it's free now. Easy to use, reliable.

Screener
08-25-2016, 07:49 PM
Or you can use NZBGet, for a while now my favourite client on my mac book pro. To decompress files i would advice to use keka on an apple system.

Monk3
08-27-2016, 04:37 AM
Thank you for the help! I will try out SAB first. Hope all goes well. Thanks again!
M

gerinhocaixa
11-20-2016, 08:49 PM
For free readers, sab and NZBget, or binreader. Unison is a good one to browse groups and not just open nzbs. Hogwasher is another but is paid and doesn't seem to be as good. NZBVortex is a good paid one (just for opening nzbs, and with search embedded if you input indexer api). For archives some free ones are the unarchiver and especially keka. A paid one, and the only one I know which opens the archives without extracting (on a window, like winrar), is BetterZip.

emehrkay
05-27-2017, 06:31 PM
Unison Still works even though it was discontinued. It is beautiful and very Mac-like (if that matters)

elmarvin0
10-27-2017, 05:29 AM
SABNzb every time. Install, open your browser and point it to http://127.0.0.1:8080/sabnzbd/ configure your Usenet service (usernames and passwords etc) and you're good to go.

Drop the NZB file into the browser window and hey presto :-)

jangai
11-18-2017, 09:49 AM
I use NZBVortex 3 which has made all others "oldfashioned" for me... :rolleyes: