PDA

View Full Version : Hippopotusmess

Biggles
11-07-2016, 11:32 PM
Well the day is upon us when our Merkin chums decide between having their testimonials firmly skelped between two bricks or having their eyes poked by a particularly pointy biro.

Which is it going to be?

Is asking Obama nicely to stay on for another couple of years until the country returns to sanity an option?

In the words of that great American philospher

"...you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?"

Something Else
11-08-2016, 12:00 AM
Does it really matter. Aren't they all actors. The face in the creamhouse never seems to have any actual power. Do they even get important, red buttons to press anymore. I would imagine they got rid of those years ago as Reagan kept falling asleep and dribbling on them. I can cynically say that either faceless sex alien is fine bye me.

manker
11-08-2016, 10:42 AM
Alright, Les. How goes it?

I'm not even sure Obama did anything good apart from the witty soundbites and cool pics with famous types like McKayla Maroney.
His intentions were decent (guns), he seemed like a sound bloke (healthcare), but to be blocked at each turn by the republican held congress kind of nullified all of that.
Ben's bang on imo.

That said, it's obviously preferable to have a decent chap capable of shrugging off 'insults' like the Chinese not giving him the right colour carpet off his aeroplane the other month.
I'm not so sure a guy like Trump has the dignity in him to rise above that kind of pettyness. A career politician like Hilary would, that's mainly why I'm hoping she wins.

mjmacky
11-08-2016, 01:15 PM
Actually, the office of the presidency has been gaining more power rather than less. I'm lumping in all the staff involved in running the executive branch with this. It was not traditionally supposed to hold this much power, but the duties of president are not as clearly defined as you would expect them to be, which leaves ample room for interpretation. As each president establishes a new role or function for the executive branch, those accumulate, and the subsequent presidents expand upon them. The trend of executive actions is leading us to a situation where we're likely going to regret having an executive office.

Obama was a net good for the country, especially considering the tea party movement. However, you might wonder if the tea party movement would have ever taken off if we had white male president(s) in office from 2008 until now. That aside, we have some major fucking idiots serving in the legislative branch, and the US could have found itself in a negative trend during that period with respect to economy, socially progressive movements, etc. Instead, it was a positive trend, hence the net good. The racists, sexists, and supremacists feel a little ignored, which is why we see the alt right hissy fit placing a buffoon of a demagogue as a major party nominee.

The election is kicking off right about now, isn't it?

Barbarossa
11-08-2016, 01:16 PM
Fuck knows we have some kind of Toblerone crisis going on in the UK today :idunno:

manker
11-08-2016, 01:57 PM
What, that's a real thing?
I thought it was you and your phoatieshop shenanigans.

manker
11-08-2016, 02:01 PM
Actually, the office of the presidency has been gaining more power rather than less. I'm lumping in all the staff involved in running the executive branch with this. It was not traditionally supposed to hold this much power, but the duties of president are not as clearly defined as you would expect them to be, which leaves ample room for interpretation. As each president establishes a new role or function for the executive branch, those accumulate, and the subsequent presidents expand upon them. The trend of executive actions is leading us to a situation where we're likely going to regret having an executive office.

Obama was a net good for the country, especially considering the tea party movement. However, you might wonder if the tea party movement would have ever taken off if we had white male president(s) in office from 2008 until now. That aside, we have some major fucking idiots serving in the legislative branch, and the US could have found itself in a negative trend during that period with respect to economy, socially progressive movements, etc. Instead, it was a positive trend, hence the net good. The racists, sexists, and supremacists feel a little ignored, which is why we see the alt right hissy fit placing a buffoon of a demagogue as a major party nominee.

The election is kicking off right about now, isn't it?Yep, it's a thing.
Thanks for that, and getting me to finally google what the 'tea party movement' actually is. I'm underwhelmed but a tiny bit more informed.

Barbarossa
11-08-2016, 02:07 PM

I dunno know, I'm starting to smell a hoax...

They announced back on october 15th the size of two bars was being reduced, suddenly these pictures appear? seems a bit odd...

manker
11-08-2016, 02:20 PM
Just read a couple of articles; I don't think it's a hoax, but it may well be a cunning publicity stunt.

the public: 'oh noes, plz bring back muh triangles'
toblerone: 'since you asked nicely and gave us lots of free publicity, ok sure'
toblerone: <releases toblerone classic packed with triangles >
the public; NOM NOM NOM

manker
11-08-2016, 02:29 PM

For 3rd world readers who have no earthly idea how important triangles are here in civilisation.

Barbarossa
11-08-2016, 02:29 PM
I did do a phoatieshawp though...

manker
11-08-2016, 02:38 PM
:lol:
That is quality.

megabyteme
11-08-2016, 02:42 PM
That cheered me up quite a bit. Well done!

Something Else
11-08-2016, 02:43 PM
:lol: barbs. You're such a card.

mjmacky
11-08-2016, 02:59 PM
I wonder how long it took you to find an image that said repair kit on a background with similar coloring and in a similar font and coloring as the Toblerone packaging.

Edit: I might not know how photoshopping works.

Barbarossa
11-08-2016, 03:22 PM
I wonder how long it took you to find an image that said repair kit on a background with similar coloring and in a similar font and coloring as the Toblerone packaging.

Edit: I might not know how photoshopping works.

:lol: :smilie4:

manker
11-08-2016, 03:43 PM
I think, subjectively, that mary's on the Babycham again.

mjmacky
11-08-2016, 03:57 PM
I haven't had a drink since Wednesday. It's Wednesday again, so I'm talking about the last one.

Have you ever had one of those days where you're thinking it's Sunday, but it's actually Monday? That happened to me last Tuesday.

manker
11-08-2016, 04:14 PM
Nah, mate. I work for a living. Ben might remember. JP will absolutely empathise with you.

manker
11-08-2016, 04:18 PM
Thinking about it, mbm and Idol don't work either, those scoundrels. They'll have days like that.
So will Shay, as it happens, although he'll misinterpret your post and think you were calling him filthy Jew infidel or something.

mjmacky
11-08-2016, 04:19 PM
Nah, mate. I work for a living. Ben might remember. JP will absolutely empathise with you.

Well, telecommuting had its perks, but occasionally working 7 days a week wasn't one of them. Also, I lied when I said it was last Tuesday. It was really the 2nd Thursday of August.

Caballero
11-08-2016, 06:09 PM

I dunno know, I'm starting to smell a hoax...

They announced back on october 15th the size of two bars was being reduced, suddenly these pictures appear? seems a bit odd...

Seems real. --> http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/shrinking-toblerone-triangle-bar-leaves-u-k-chocolate-fans-bitter-n679526

Unless you're telling me that you just can't rely on the fact-checking of the American mainstream media anymore... ;)

Biggles
11-08-2016, 07:47 PM

I'm not even sure Obama did anything good apart from the witty soundbites and cool pics with famous types like McKayla Maroney.
His intentions were decent (guns), he seemed like a sound bloke (healthcare), but to be blocked at each turn by the republican held congress kind of nullified all of that.
Ben's bang on imo.

That said, it's obviously preferable to have a decent chap capable of shrugging off 'insults' like the Chinese not giving him the right colour carpet off his aeroplane the other month.
I'm not so sure a guy like Trump has the dignity in him to rise above that kind of pettyness. A career politician like Hilary would, that's mainly why I'm hoping she wins.

Hey Manker

I am mostly well. Working too hard though. We had a recruitment ban and people kept leaving and I kept getting their work to do. Currently covering three jobs and had no leave this year. Good for my pension though as one of the jobs was my boss's. I have managed to spoof the last couple of years quite well and by the power of Google l can compare SSAPS with these newfangled IAS things and produce vaguely modern accounts.

I would like to retire but SGG is still a student. She is supposed to finish her postgraduate degree in June so there is a potential train in the tunnel. :unsure:

How goes it with you? I am sure I was told you were lion taming in Peru or something.

Agree on Obama. There is a lot to be said for a politician that is decent and quiet and doesn't have mad ideas.

JPaul
11-08-2016, 07:50 PM
I did do a phoatieshawp though...

It's quality work like that that makes you think your garden is a fake and that you actually have a yard, as I believe the merkins call some slabs with weeds twixt them.

JPaul
11-08-2016, 07:53 PM
The 7 day week is an artificial construct and I will have no truck with it.

Years, no problem. Months, yup that's a thing. Days, absolutely, one of my favourite periods of time. Weeks, pish, just made up.

JPaul
11-08-2016, 07:55 PM

Ben's bang on imo.

Hey Manker

I am mostly well. Working too hard though. We had a recruitment ban and people kept leaving and I kept getting their work to do. Currently covering three jobs and had no leave this year. Good for my pension though as one of the jobs was my boss's. I have managed to spoof the last couple of years quite well and by the power of Google l can compare SSAPS with these newfangled IAS things and produce vaguely modern accounts.

I would like to retire but SGG is still a student. She is supposed to finish her postgraduate degree in June so there is a potential train in the tunnel. :unsure:

How goes it with you? I am sure I was told you were lion taming in Peru or something.

Agree on Obama. There is a lot to be said for a politician that is decent and quiet and doesn't have mad ideas.

Are you doing the whole work to 65 thing.

I had thought that beneath you. However if it's for the wean then that makes sence.

Biggles
11-08-2016, 08:15 PM
have mad ideas.

Are you doing the whole work to 65 thing.

I had thought that beneath you. However if it's for the wean then that makes sence.

I had considered before 60 but the postgraduate thing in Lahndan suggested otherwise. I am thinking next summer. The Chief Exec suggested I stay on until then...since discovered that she is thinking of going then....she didn't get where she is today.....

JPaul
11-08-2016, 08:49 PM
Good grief man, if you are paying for her to live in London and some sort of stipend that must be the thick end of 20 guineas a month.

Do the Scottish Government make some sort of payment for advanced degrees or just the first one.

Biggles
11-08-2016, 09:01 PM
Good grief man, if you are paying for her to live in London and some sort of stipend that must be the thick end of 20 guineas a month.

Do the Scottish Government make some sort of payment for advanced degrees or just the first one.

Sadly just the first one and you are behind the times...it is 21 guineas a month these days. I look forward to her graduation in so many ways :)

JPaul
11-08-2016, 09:14 PM

Sadly just the first one and you are behind the times...it is 21 guineas a month these days. I look forward to her graduation in so many ways :)

Red meat, a fine wine and a decent cigar I'll be bound. Or a chicken tikka masala and a can of diet irn bru.

What is it the young 'un is being advanced about.

I'm guessing something philosophical or food related.

Biggles
11-08-2016, 10:10 PM

Red meat, a fine wine and a decent cigar I'll be bound. Or a chicken tikka masala and a can of diet irn bru.

Art - although she is mixing philosophy in there (and computer programmes and plants and electrical impulses and all sorts of weird stuff).

JPaul
11-08-2016, 10:57 PM

Art - although she is mixing philosophy in there (and computer programmes and plants and electrical impulses and all sorts of weird stuff).

Chapeau, good for her.

Do what you want to do, be as eclectic as you dare.

Bee awl ewe can bee.

manker
11-09-2016, 08:50 AM

Ben's bang on imo.

Hey Manker

Agree on Obama. There is a lot to be said for a politician that is decent and quiet and doesn't have mad ideas.Jebus, I haven't heard anyone mention a standard statement of accounting principle since A Levels. Slight exaggeration but I'm not even sure I expanded the acronym correctly. Google does make what we do pretty easy, me more than you I suspect. I just hope that with all this MTD stuff happening soon that people don't cotton onto it and cut out the middle man. If they do, I've always got the lion taming to fall back on.

Please pass on my best regards to SGG. I think you told me a while ago, perhaps kindly, that she likes it when some cawk from a distant interwebs in the before-time says hai.
Still getting subs from dad for education at, what, 27? Les, you're a giant softie :wub:

===

Trump, eh. Politics, bloody hell.

Biggles
11-09-2016, 06:58 PM
Jebus, I haven't heard anyone mention a standard statement of accounting principle since A Levels. Slight exaggeration but I'm not even sure I expanded the acronym correctly. Google does make what we do pretty easy, me more than you I suspect. I just hope that with all this MTD stuff happening soon that people don't cotton onto it and cut out the middle man. If they do, I've always got the lion taming to fall back on.

Please pass on my best regards to SGG. I think you told me a while ago, perhaps kindly, that she likes it when some cawk from a distant interwebs in the before-time says hai.
Still getting subs from dad for education at, what, 27? Les, you're a giant softie :wub:

===

Trump, eh. Politics, bloody hell.

Statement of standard etc...but close enough :) They were great...especially as there were only a couple of dozen of them.

Will pass on Hai's to the girl -

She is only 26...so I am only a medium sized softie:unsure:

manker
11-10-2016, 09:21 AM
Ah. Well, it's only to be expected at your chronological station, mate.