PDA

View Full Version : Which Privacy Protection Software can I use with BitTorrent

TorrentRedical
11-15-2016, 10:06 AM
I recently receive an infrigment notice from my ISP bell media for downloading a tv show using bittorent. i have not responded to the notice and i binned it after reading it. I red on a blog that ISPs retain user activity and reported it to the mpaa, who send out notices to torrent users.
My question is: Is there any privacy tool that can secure me even from the ISP and not let them know what i am downloading.

Prior
11-15-2016, 11:27 AM
I recently receive an infrigment notice from my ISP bell media for downloading a tv show using bittorent. i have not responded to the notice and i binned it after reading it. I red on a blog that ISPs retain user activity and reported it to the mpaa, who send out notices to torrent users.
My question is: Is there any privacy tool that can secure me even from the ISP and not let them know what i am downloading.

Just out of curiosity which tracker were you using and what was the tv show? Surprised a little bit you were flagged for TV show downloading. I usually associate those notices with movies and video games.

Also I'd like to hop on this thread a bit with a question of my own. I'm a Time Warner user. Are they known as being consistently on the lookout for torrent downloads?

TorrentRedical
11-15-2016, 12:21 PM

Just out of curiosity which tracker were you using and what was the tv show? Surprised a little bit you were flagged for TV show downloading. I usually associate those notices with movies and video games.

Also I'd like to hop on this thread a bit with a question of my own. I'm a Time Warner user. Are they known as being consistently on the lookout for torrent downloads?

I downloaded the torrent from Piratbay of all westword episodes. I guss was using a public tracker, em not an expert so don't know that much.

mrRizviOnline
11-15-2016, 01:31 PM

Usually North American ISPs give the MPAA full access to their servers and these dirty copyright trolls take a second to have a notice sent to your home, its nothing new just be careful when downloading torrents next time. I was always under the impression that my vpn, which i specifically got to secure my torrent downloads, would hide me from the ISP and the MPAA, so i dont know what Prior means by unsafe. I have never been tagged or have ever received a notice even since my university days. I have been using vpn to torrent (https://www.vpnranks.com/torrent-vpn/) since 2011 partially because of throttling on the dorm network, but i realize now I was smart to follow the experts.

anon
11-16-2016, 03:44 AM
https://torrentfreak.com/vpn-anonymous-review-160220/
https://www.privacytools.io/#vpn

But if you don't want to shell out money for this just yet, get a good IP blacklist and stay out of public torrents.

TorrentRedical
11-16-2016, 12:32 PM

Usually North American ISPs give the MPAA full access to their servers and these dirty copyright trolls take a second to have a notice sent to your home, its nothing new just be careful when downloading torrents next time. I was always under the impression that my vpn, which i specifically got to secure my torrent downloads, would hide me from the ISP and the MPAA, so i dont know what Prior means by unsafe. I have never been tagged or have ever received a notice even since my university days. I have been using vpn to torrent (https://www.vpnranks.com/torrent-vpn/) since 2011 partially because of throttling on the dorm network, but i realize now I was smart to follow the experts.

But if you don't want to shell out money for this just yet, get a good IP blacklist and stay out of public torrents.

Thanks for the suggestions both of you. I am looking in to it. And thanks for the tip for avoiding public torrents

Prior
11-16-2016, 01:45 PM

I'm curious about using the VPN. Is it possible to alter the setup so I can just use it on a particular browser? For instance lets say I use Firefox to browse torrent sites, but wanted to use Chrome for browsing regular sites and downloading non-copyrighted material. Would it be possible to alter the VPN to not have access to Chrome? That way I wouldn't risk my speed for that browser being effected.

anon
11-17-2016, 03:18 AM
I'm curious about using the VPN. Is it possible to alter the setup so I can just use it on a particular browser?

Some providers have browser addons for this task (Hola is one of them; the latest Opera also offers a built-in free VPN), although I haven't tested their functionality or the technical accuracy of those claims.

As a general rule, VPNs are meant to be used on a system-wide basis. It's possible to only use them on certain programs by setting up adapter bindings and such, but that's pretty unwieldy. Using virtual machines is another possibility...

Prior
11-17-2016, 12:41 PM
I'm curious about using the VPN. Is it possible to alter the setup so I can just use it on a particular browser?

Some providers have browser addons for this task (Hola is one of them; the latest Opera also offers a built-in free VPN), although I haven't tested their functionality or the technical accuracy of those claims.

As a general rule, VPNs are meant to be used on a system-wide basis. It's possible to only use them on certain programs by setting up adapter bindings and such, but that's pretty unwieldy. Using virtual machines is another possibility...

Do you find that most reputable VPN's cause a significant dropoff in speed for browser usage (youtube and downloading directly from websites)? Also since it seems configuring the VPN could be rather tricky, in order for certain browsers not to use it, is it easy to go about turning the VPN on and off?

For instance lets say I want to use the VPN to download a torrent via utorrent. Once the torrent is finished is it relatively simple to stop using the VPN and browse without it?

anon
11-18-2016, 01:33 PM
Do you find that most reputable VPN's cause a significant dropoff in speed for browser usage (youtube and downloading directly from websites)?

All proxies and VPNs are going to slow you down to some degree, because you're routing your traffic through another server before it reaches its final destination. This can be minimized (but never completely eliminated) by choosing a server which is physically close to you and has a fast connection speed.

In other words: do you remember that scene from Sneakers where they route a phone call all around the world and through three satellites, and can still talk without any delays? That's how it doesn't work.

Also since it seems configuring the VPN could be rather tricky, in order for certain browsers not to use it, is it easy to go about turning the VPN on and off?

Usually it's right-click -> Disconnect.

lance554331
11-27-2016, 02:28 AM
what are some fast VPN's speeds are good?