PDA

View Full Version : Google site protection IDing Filesharingtalk as an unsafe site harboring phishing

wtj
12-23-2016, 03:30 AM
I've been here a L-O-N-G time and never had this popup before.
What gives?

adywan
12-23-2016, 04:21 AM
I'm getting the same "deceptive site" blocking using firefox.

Status45
12-23-2016, 05:43 AM
Same looks like they aren't even using SSL, which most modern browsers will flag as a deceptive site. Your password on this site is being sent in plain text so make sure it's not something you use for any other site.

dusty_6
12-23-2016, 06:23 AM
Have the system admins addressed this issue?

DngrMs
12-23-2016, 07:41 AM
Have the system admins addressed this issue?

Not yet.

kickinitdeep
12-23-2016, 11:59 AM
same here ,,,im outta here til its sorted .

anon
12-23-2016, 03:47 PM
Same looks like they aren't even using SSL, which most modern browsers will flag as a deceptive site.

SSL or lack thereof has nothing to do with being flagged as a phishing/malware site.

There are rumors Google gets paid to falsely flag "pirate" sites as malicious (since Chrome and Firefox both use their anti-phishing database and enable it by default). Either way, RealitY needs to get in touch with them before anything can happen.

wtj
12-24-2016, 03:51 PM
Same looks like they aren't even using SSL, which most modern browsers will flag as a deceptive site.

SSL or lack thereof has nothing to do with being flagged as a phishing/malware site.

There are rumors Google gets paid to falsely flag "pirate" sites as malicious (since Chrome and Firefox both use their anti-phishing database and enable it by default). Either way, RealitY needs to get in touch with them before anything can happen.

But this just started (on my desktop, anyway) and it makes some navigation impossible ie: new tab.
What is FST doing about it, or is there a SAFE work-around?
I note that some of the better posts in TV have fallen off.

anon
12-24-2016, 04:46 PM
What is FST doing about it, or is there a SAFE work-around?

Just turn off "malicious site detection" in your browser(s). You will no longer be (directly) telling Google about every site you visit, which is pretty safe ;)

With that said, this shouldn't happen in the first place, and it's going to drive people who don't know any better off the forum, so we need to get it fixed as soon as possible. I have just e-mailed RealitY about it.

Caballero
12-25-2016, 02:36 AM
I note that some of the better posts in TV have fallen off.

You mean in the NZB section? It's all repeats at the moment, there's nothing new to post...

banyon
12-25-2016, 05:22 PM
turned my "Malicious Site Detection" off and it works again but I was a little startled by this. Kept me away for a little. Went there through my iPhone cause chances of infection are small on an iPhone and saw the forum post about this. But if you can't get to the forum to see what this is, then you will stay away. If I had accesses this with a PC then I would have stayed away for sure.
No idea what you can do about this but this is not good.
And thanks Caballero for all you do. Don't know if people appreciate this enough. I do.

anon
12-25-2016, 05:43 PM
if you can't get to the forum to see what this is, then you will stay away. If I had accesses this with a PC then I would have stayed away for sure.

True, and that's what I'm afraid will happen with many other people.

RealitY hasn't replied to my e-mail so far.

wtj
12-26-2016, 10:32 AM
Wow, Google actually sent a pop-up this time asking if there were any sites that they were incorrectly identifying as involving Phishing or malware.
I entered filesharingtalk.com and offered that this user has been accessing it safely for a half decade or more.
I hope that didn't put me on some future list for a demand service or a no-knock intrusion!
With this bingo coming to the white house, anything's possible.

anon
12-26-2016, 05:00 PM
Wow, Google actually sent a pop-up this time asking if there were any sites that they were incorrectly identifying as involving Phishing or malware.
I entered filesharingtalk.com and offered that this user has been accessing it safely for a half decade or more.
I hope that didn't put me on some future list for a demand service or a no-knock intrusion!
With this bingo coming to the white house, anything's possible.

Please stay where you are while the Google Street View car arrives to take you to Guantánamo :whistling

RealitY answered, he says a bit of the code for Yahoo's YUI library (used for some site features) is triggering this problem, and it's being worked on.

weenden
12-26-2016, 08:16 PM
they bugged me too but yet here i am

sharaday
12-27-2016, 03:59 PM
If I look at the details in Chrome, it says "This page is insecure (broken HTTPS)."

anon
12-27-2016, 04:14 PM
If I look at the details in Chrome, it says "This page is insecure (broken HTTPS)."

But we don't have HTTPS at all :unsure:

brap
12-28-2016, 10:26 AM

But we don't have HTTPS at all :unsure:

Hence, thus, therefore: https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2016/09/09/google-to-slap-warnings-on-non-https-sites/ ?

Google is punishing all non-HTTPS sites...although it's not supposed to start until January. But I also get the warning in Firefox with DDG as my search engine, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Gribley
12-28-2016, 11:18 AM
Just turn off "malicious site detection" in your browser(s)
Just for added info in Chrome that is in settings, show advanced and un-tick "protect you and your device from dangerous sites".

Or you can just expand the warning page and click continue to site anyway thing at the bottom

anon
12-28-2016, 05:48 PM
Hence, thus, therefore: https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2016/09/09/google-to-slap-warnings-on-non-https-sites/ ?

Google is punishing all non-HTTPS sites...although it's not supposed to start until January.

I guess that's fair... not everything requires encryption, but "if you want a kitty ask for a horse" or something like that.

witchking42
12-29-2016, 09:28 AM
Not being flagged now.

megabyteme
12-29-2016, 03:42 PM
Dodgy site is dodgy...

I used an alternate browser, which came back *instantly* with a block of malware. Do your scans, I suspect Google was correct.

RealitY
01-06-2017, 03:26 AM
Was swamped bit and had meant to post this was sorted days ago. The code was updated and all is fine. We applied to Google to lift the restrictions which was accepted quickly. Big thanks to Tesco friend for assisting with this...