PDA

View Full Version : Mega.nz suspends/terminates account

mh1313
03-03-2017, 12:39 AM
I had a Mega.nz account for many years.
Thru it, I shared some files publicly and some privately at various FS Message Boards.
On the same day in Feb 2017, several files got wildfire-flagged (several files at once).
The files were a mixed bag of music-album files (different artists, different media companies). The Complainant was someone (supposedly) from umusic.com (universal music, UMG ??). Most (if not all) files that were flagged were not UMG to the best of my knowledge.
I think the Complainant may be a troll or a file-sharing competitor.
Then, I got a email from Mega saying my account was suspended for Multiple Infringements. I could file a dispute via a lengthy form on Mega's site.
I only shared certain files with friends or a small similar-interest community. My Mega account was never monetized.
I think close to 12 files were flagged. I had about 40 files (~48GB) total -- all were "lost", flagged or not . I have filed a single Dispute via the Mega form. I don't want to put too much time/effort into this issue. In any case, the FS community, at large, deserves to be alerted about a company (Mega) whose motto is:

"The Privacy Company"

Due to my account suspension (possible termination??), I'm curious as to the reliability of Mega.nz.
Their draconian action occurred before I had a chance to react .
Is it better just to open another Mega account, go with another host, or dispute?

Thanks!

anon
03-03-2017, 03:15 AM
Well, their terms of service do not allow uploading files you don't have permissions from the copyright holder(s) to spread. I don't see how that's mutually exclusive with "The Privacy Company". Next time, use encrypted archives, obfuscated filenames and link protectors. If you still get takedowns, someone's reporting your links.

With that said, I like Mediafire more.

mh1313
03-04-2017, 06:15 AM
Another MAJOR reason for not using Mega is that they "like" to make it PUBLICLY known that ...

No that's not me. Might as well be, though!

Does it make sense that a file-hoster publicly shames a user so explicitly?!!

anon
03-04-2017, 04:59 PM
Another MAJOR reason for not using Mega is that they "like" to make it PUBLICLY known that ...

No that's not me. Might as well be, though!

Does it make sense that a file-hoster publicly shames a user so explicitly?!!

I think you're too sensitive.

digbooker
08-17-2019, 09:44 AM
...Next time, use encrypted archives, obfuscated filenames and link protectors. If you still get takedowns, someone's reporting your links.

Yes, you are absolutely right. Let me add my twopence worth.

I think the Complainant may be a troll or a file-sharing competitor.

It might've been, because not only blow-whistlers ["competitor"] exist but also (that is much the worse and important!) the hoster can read filenames. Moreover, the hoster can open and read content of archives itself. So, in the future you should encrypt the filenames and archives, packing them one into other (like turducken or nested doll), preferrably in .7z/ .tar/ .targz formats (.sitx also possible). What the most crucially, you needn't use your Mega account for file sharing even privately let alone publicly. (As the Germans say, when two know it, pig also knows.) Use it as your own file storage, as your own digital fortress. It should be Neverland for all living beings.

With that said, I like Mediafire more.

I would find difficulty to quarrel with this statement. Although, a lot another file hostings befit. To be sure you've been untracked always use VPN or Tor. It stands to reason always read the ToS carefully.