PDA

View Full Version : What The Hell Is Goin On Atx To At

milosummer
11-25-2003, 09:14 AM
hey, :o :o
what the hell is goin on i cant understand damn it (very very frustated) :angry:
JUST TELL me the reason why
Recently i installed win XP in P.C AND it has converted my ATX into AT
it configures my ATX as AT
kindly help me :( :(
I"ll always be grateful to u all
thank u

Darth Sushi
11-25-2003, 09:42 AM
Why don't you just give us your PC's exact specs. "converted my ATX into AT" ????? :blink:

AT/ATX is hardware related. Hows does software converts it???

3RA1N1AC
11-25-2003, 10:39 AM
this is a bizarre thread. i don't even know how someone would arrive at the conclusion that their ATX has been converted to AT. that's like saying "my alarm clock changed my 9-Volt battery to AA's." :huh:

random nut
11-25-2003, 11:21 AM
He's probably confusing ATX with PC/AT.

Evil Gemini
11-25-2003, 12:18 PM
Recently i installed win XP in P.C AND it has converted my ATX into AT

Drugs

Must be drugs.

milosummer
11-25-2003, 12:25 PM
no no no what i am saying is that the winXP asks me to shut down the computer as if my computer were AT which is exactly not This never happened when i had installed win2000
i am not tellin that ATX has been converted into AT by devils grace
By the way thanks for ur participation
my computer has pretty much old configuration
motherboard-- 815
memory -------64mb
pentium--3 550Mhz
cabinet ATX
KINDLY help
thank u very much again

zapjb
11-25-2003, 12:30 PM
imho those are too low specs to run XP on.

3RA1N1AC
11-25-2003, 12:42 PM
XP can be made to run suitably well on a 550mhz P3... you just have to go through the GUI configuration and get rid of some of the eye-candy, and tweak the startup programs and services a bit. it'd prolly do better with more RAM, though.

are you saying that when you select Start -> Turn Off Computer, it displays this menu?
http://www.wintricks.it/recensioni/xpgifs/shutdown.gif
if so, this is perfectly normal.

if it's something else, i'm not sure what you're referring to.

Darth Sushi
11-25-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by From: http://www.tweakxp.com/display.aspx?id=312
Many people have been having problems with their system not automatically closing down when they 'turn off' their PC. This is because of the APM setting which is not enabled. To enable it, right click on my computer goto properties select hardware and click device mangager.
Click view and then on show hidden devices. You should see the NT ATM / Legacy Interface mode with a red cross on it. Double click it and on the screen that appears at the bottom choose enable from the drop down menu.

Your PC should now automatically switch off completely on shutdown.

Note: If there is no NT ATM / Legacy Interface mode in your device manager, then this tweak will not work with your system.

milosummer
11-25-2003, 12:43 PM
i know but there r so many computers that have such configuration
which run WinXP perfectly How come it feels as if i have plugged it to an AT cabinet
well thanku very very MUCH for ur participation

Evil Gemini
11-25-2003, 01:14 PM
See above

clocker
11-25-2003, 02:45 PM
Here's What You Need to Use Windows XP Home Edition
PC with 300 megahertz (MHz) or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233-MHz minimum required;* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended
128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)
1.5 gigabyte (GB) of available hard disk space.*
Super VGA (800 × 600) or higher resolution video adapter and monitor
CD-ROM or DVD drive
Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device
Is this an exercise in masochism?
You may be able to get the GUI up, but it's gonna crawl, begging to be put out of it's misery.
Most sites recommend at least 256Kb of RAM, with 512 being ideal.

Kunal
11-25-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by clocker@25 November 2003 - 15:45
Most sites recommend at least 256Kb of RAM, with 512 being ideal.
Kb :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: , i didnt think even win 95 ran on that little RAM :lol:

balamm
11-25-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by milosummer@25 November 2003 - 05:43
i know but there r so many computers that have such configuration
which run WinXP perfectly How come it feels as if i have plugged it to an AT cabinet
well thanku very very MUCH for ur participation
I still don't know what the hell you think you mean. AT and ATX are power supply and design specifications that have nothing to do with the speed of your OS.

What's the difference between AT and ATX?
    AT and ATX are different form factors for Computers.  A form factor is the physical layout of the motherboard and its associated case.  Changing the design of a motherboard usually means changing the design of the case.

There are different variations on the AT design.  There is the original AT, and the Baby AT form factor.  The Baby AT design is simply a smaller version of the original AT design.  It is therefore less expensive to make.  A Baby AT motherboard can usually fit inside either a Baby AT case or a full AT case.  However, an AT motherboard is too big to fit in a Baby AT case and it therefore must fit into an AT case only.

The ATX is a newer design for motherboards and cases.  The ATX design uses a different power supply connector and the ATX case cools internal components much more efficiently than its predecessor.  In addition to ATX, there is also Mini ATX and Micro ATX.  These are smaller versions of the ATX motherboards and cases which adhere to the ATX design specifications, but skimp on expandability.

For the most part, we recommend that our customers who wish to upgrade their PCs use a motherboard and case which adheres to the ATX standards of design.  ATX is not an expensive technology, but it is the more modern and the best suited for expansion.

Did you mean to point out the performance difference between 386 and 486 computers maybe? Most or all 386's are in the AT format simply because of their age. ATX is a relatively new standard.
If none of this sorts it, I have no idea what you're on about.

Smurfette
11-26-2003, 12:21 AM
XP has not detected a fully compatible ACPI on the motherboard, therefore not installed ACPI stuff like auto turn-off - it's the same on the two Into Celery POS machines where I used to work.

clocker
11-26-2003, 12:47 AM
Bingo!
I think we have a winner folks!

boyzeee
11-26-2003, 07:45 PM
IT IS NOW SAFE TO TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER

well i would leave it off if i was trying to run xp those specs :blink:

sorry, i couldnt resist ;)

Smurfette
11-26-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by clocker@26 November 2003 - 00:47
Bingo!
I think we have a winner folks!
I'm flattered to receive such an award.

I'd like to thank mom 'n' pop for believing in me and God for giving me the talent to win. Also I'd like to say that these awards are not won by one person but many - there are many people behind the sc3n3s without whom this would not be possible... my agent, my brother, my chauffeur, my...

<cut to ad-break to save the sanity of TV audiences>

clocker
11-26-2003, 11:15 PM
Erm...Smurfette?

You are aware that typically awards such as these are presented at a luncheon held weeks before the main event?
If you&#39;re lucky I&#39;ll see if I can&#39;t squeeze you into the review clip footage.
Been nice knowin&#39; ya.
Don&#39;t call us, we&#39;ll call you.
Ciao, baby.

boyzeee
11-26-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Smurfette+26 November 2003 - 23:08--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Smurfette @ 26 November 2003 - 23:08)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-clocker@26 November 2003 - 00:47
Bingo&#33;
I think we have a winner folks&#33;
I&#39;m flattered to receive such an award.

I&#39;d like to thank mom &#39;n&#39; pop for believing in me and God for giving me the talent to win. Also I&#39;d like to say that these awards are not won by one person but many - there are many people behind the sc3n3s without whom this would not be possible... my agent, my brother, my chauffeur, my...

<cut to ad-break to save the sanity of TV audiences> [/b][/quote]
:lol:

Smurfette
11-27-2003, 12:03 AM
...1978 Lincoln Continental, my old piano, my friend Stan, my old man&#39;s a dustman, my favourite waste of time, my boomerang won&#39;t come back...

hehe LOL @ Clocker :D

I forgot to add that with more RAM (256MB should be plenty) that system will run XP fine without all the bells n whistles; the ones where I worked were slot1s - 333 and 500 IIRC.

bob_the_alien
11-27-2003, 06:50 AM
With many all the advanced style options turned off, and with many of the services disabled, I got Xp to run perfectly on a PII 333mhz with 96mb of ram.
I was very proud of myself :P

_John_Lennon_
11-27-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by bob_the_alien@27 November 2003 - 01:50
With many all the advanced style options turned off, and with many of the services disabled, I got Xp to run perfectly on a PII 333mhz with 96mb of ram.
I was very proud of myself :P
Right, now lets see it crash when it tries to run like, windows update, or even the tour or something, lol.

The Win XP tour crashing, oh the irony.

"Lets see whats instore for you with windows XP"

tesco
11-27-2003, 10:17 PM
Why are all you guys against teh old computers they arent that slow and dont crash that much...

I was running my old K62 333mhz 64mb ram for like a year with XP and didnt find it to be any slower than windows 98 was until i started to get BSOD&#39;s and had to upgrade the RAM to 128 then it was perfectly fine.

Now i have my newer computer and still use the old one occasionally.

Smurfette
11-28-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2003@27 November 2003 - 22:17
Why are all you guys against teh old computers they arent that slow and dont crash that much...

I was running my old K62 333mhz 64mb ram for like a year with XP and didnt find it to be any slower than windows 98 was until i started to get BSOD&#39;s and had to upgrade the RAM to 128 then it was perfectly fine.

Now i have my newer computer and still use the old one occasionally.
I totally agree with you there.
There are many people running newer OSes on older system mainly because some software or hardware requires a later OS but they can&#39;t justify the expense of new mobo/cpu/ram.
It&#39;s ridiculous and childish to diss people in that sort of situation.
Basically, run what you can run and put up with the speed of. :)