PDA

View Full Version : Formal English

ramon37
11-25-2003, 11:07 AM
For a lot of people in this forum, english is not our own language, so we can find very hard to understand you, when you use very informal expressions, that are very familar to you, but unknown for us. I think, we'll be very grateful if you only use formal english, so that we can understand everything.
Thanks

Wizzandabe
11-25-2003, 11:59 AM
:lol: :lol:
Sory got to laugh at this.

3rd gen noob
11-25-2003, 12:01 PM
why don't you just speak in your natural tongue (tongue meaning language, not the bit of meat in your mouth (someone might make a joke based on sexual innuendo on this statement (sexual inuendo is when a joke is made which relates to a position of comedy based on sex and/or sexuality)))

hope that was clear :rolleyes:

vivitron 15
11-25-2003, 12:09 PM
whay aye, course a can dee like

UKMan
11-25-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by ramon37@25 November 2003 - 12:07
For a lot of people in this forum, english is not our own language, so we can find very hard to understand you, when you use very informal expressions, that are very familar to you, but unknown for us. I think, we'll be very grateful if you only use formal english, so that we can understand everything.
Thanks
Where are you from by the way?

Unfortunately this is impossible to control - as you may understand, there are thousands who are members and all from different country's. Its bad enough trying to stop them from posting garbage, let alone speak properly :lol:

Your point is well taken though, but i fear you are not gonna be pleased. Try to find some other members of your nationality here and exchange views and problems with them. The Dutch certainly do ;)

Peace
UKMan

~FunK_mOb~
11-25-2003, 12:44 PM
Or get yourself a dictionairy(serious) ;)
Always a good way to broaden(<used dictionairy for this one :P ) your vocabulairy.Asking everyone to use simple words won&#39;t help you much with learning and better understanding englisch(<didn&#39;t use a dictionairy for this one...and it shows :lol: ).

3rd gen noob
11-25-2003, 12:48 PM
http://dictionary.reference.com

also, you might want a good thesaurus ;)

tracydani
11-25-2003, 12:51 PM
Talking about americans in general, it will be hard to find any that speak formal or correct english.

Just travel around a little and you will see the differances in dialect. Most were not raised with any formal or correct english spoken language(myself included).

When I went to germany, the first time I ran into english speaking germans they were speaking formal english they had learned in school; [ and ] I was speaking in the slang version I grew up with. Talk about confused :blink: [ And ] I was about 19 at the time, so I was speaking anything but an acceptable version of english :D

TD

corrected by RF :P

echidna
11-25-2003, 01:18 PM
also remember that you probably have far greater english skill, than a native english speaker would likely have of your first language. ;)

Virtualbody1234
11-25-2003, 02:43 PM
Or get yourself a dictionairy(serious)
I&#39;m quite sure that the English he was referring to wouldn&#39;t even be in the dictionary.

Rappy
11-25-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by UKMan+25 November 2003 - 12:19--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (UKMan @ 25 November 2003 - 12:19)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ramon37@25 November 2003 - 12:07
For a lot of people in this forum, english is not our own language, so we can find very hard to understand you, when you use very informal expressions, that are very familar to you, but unknown for us. I think, we&#39;ll be very grateful if you only use formal english, so that we can understand everything.
Thanks
Where are you from by the way?

Unfortunately this is impossible to control - as you may understand, there are thousands who are members and all from different country&#39;s. Its bad enough trying to stop them from posting garbage, let alone speak properly :lol:

Your point is well taken though, but i fear you are not gonna be pleased. Try to find some other members of your nationality here and exchange views and problems with them. The Dutch certainly do ;)

Peace
UKMan [/b][/quote]
haha i agree with that one

clocker
11-25-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by ~FunK_mOb~@25 November 2003 - 05:44
Or get yourself a dictionairy(serious) ;)
Always a good way to broaden(<used dictionairy for this one :P ) your vocabulairy.Asking everyone to use simple words won&#39;t help you much with learning and better understanding englisch(<didn&#39;t use a dictionairy for this one...and it shows :lol: ).
While you had the dictionary out...

ramon37
11-25-2003, 04:16 PM
Thanks, UKMan, I am from Spain, and I go to England once or twice a year, I have three grandchildren that live in Manchester. I seldom have problems with my english. One year ago they lived in Newcastle, and that was a bit harder. There is KaZaadores, is like this forum but in spanish; I used to enter both. For me, this is the last time I enter this forum. I had a wrong idea of people.
Thanks Tracyman, but I&#39;ve been plenty of times in UK, more times in France, in Belgium, in Holland, where I live for a while, in Germany many times, in Italy, in the States, seven times, in Argentina, in Chile, in Portugal, etc. Do you think I have travelled enough? But I repeat, thanks, I think you understood what I meant and what my problem was.
Thanks Funk_mOb, but I have The American English Learner&#39;s dictonary (1085 pages), The new Oxford Dictonary of English (2152 pages), Collins Dictonary (1290 pages), Larousse (1079 pages), The Tony Thorpe Dictionary of Contemporary Slang (583 pages), The Penguin Dictonary of English Idioms, and some others. Do you really think the problem is my dictonary? Please, be honest.
Virtualbody1234, YOU ARE RIGHT.
3rd gen noob. Do you know what formal english mean? INNUENDO IS FORMAL ENGLISH, and I bet I knew the word long before you were born.

~FunK_mOb~
11-25-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by ramon37@25 November 2003 - 17:16

Thanks Funk_mOb, but I have The American English Learner&#39;s dictonary (1085 pages), The new Oxford Dictonary of English (2152 pages), Collins Dictonary (1290 pages), Larousse (1079 pages), The Tony Thorpe Dictionary of Contemporary Slang (583 pages), The Penguin Dictonary of English Idioms, and some others. Do you really think the problem is my dictonary? Please, be honest.

I was merely making a suggestion,not really saying this would solve it all.
Anyway,I&#39;m quite impressed with your collection of dictionairies. :lol:

;)

UKMan
11-25-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by ramon37@25 November 2003 - 17:16
Thanks, UKMan, I am from Spain, and I go to England once or twice a year, I have three grandchildren that live in Manchester. I seldom have problems with my english. One year ago they lived in Newcastle, and that was a bit harder. There is KaZaadores, is like this forum but in spanish; I used to enter both. For me, this is the last time I enter this forum. I had a wrong idea of people.
I am sorry to hear that you will not be joining us again. Please do not let yourself be upset by a few uncivilised remarks. This is an international forum and as such, attracts everyone and everything <------yepp - thing&#33;

If you visit Manchester every year, then your knowledge of the English language is very complex - ha ha.

I understand what you are trying to say though, there is a language used by many on these boards that has been born out of the IT virtual world of typing not talking. Trying to understand all these different phrases can be cumbersome to say the least. Also, of course, the usuall foul mouthed individual and thoughtless remark will allways seep through.

I urge you to reconsider, as there are many here who would enjoy your company.

Peace
UKMan

Kunal
11-25-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by UKMan@25 November 2003 - 17:37
I urge you to reconsider, as there are many here who would enjoy your company.
I know i would :)

I love different cultures, brings life to a place.

ramon37, there are very few people in the forum that use informal language, so please stay B)

Sparkle1984
11-25-2003, 05:50 PM
So we all have to use formal language in this forum, like the Queen&#39;s English, now do we??&#33;&#33; :lol:

One will be extremely obliged to do so &#33;&#33;&#33; LOL&#33;&#33; :lol:

3rd gen noob
11-25-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by ramon37@25 November 2003 - 15:16
3rd gen noob. Do you know what formal english mean? INNUENDO IS FORMAL ENGLISH, and I bet I knew the word long before you were born.
calm down...just attempting to be slightly comical (obviously didn&#39;t work then)

and yeah, you are demasiado bien para mi&#33;

Jayhawk
11-25-2003, 09:47 PM
i dont get half the stuff americans say anyways and i am american so its a lost cause :)

I.am
11-25-2003, 11:23 PM
My 2 cents:

Writing clearly helps a lot while answering questions or even while holding a decent conversation.

One has to keep in mind that the users are not just "Native English Speakers." To me words can go here and there it doesn&#39;t really make a difference unless I am not able to understand anything about it, which has never happened. So if your reason to leave is that you don&#39;t want to be in a community of people who are from different countries, having different native languages, different cultures...then I am not sure where you are going with this. Your reason is understandable but your post about leaving is kiddish here unless you had another reason.

I am not sure if i would even welcome you if you have an attitude like that. If you have another reason to write about leaving the forum then i apologize.

Otherwise, you know better now, I hope.

Have a nice day&#33; :)
I.am

Worthless
11-27-2003, 08:06 AM
im not smart enough to speak in formal engilsh

internet.news
11-27-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by ramon37@25 November 2003 - 12:07
For a lot of people in this forum, english is not our own language, so we can find very hard to understand you, when you use very informal expressions, that are very familar to you, but unknown for us. I think, we&#39;ll be very grateful if you only use formal english, so that we can understand everything.
Thanks
I understand what you mean...

sorry, I am writing as I my thoughts passes through my mind ;)

but feel free to ask if you are not sure to understand ;)

:rolleyes:

internet.news
11-27-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by I.am@26 November 2003 - 00:23
My 2 cents:

Writing clearly helps a lot while answering questions or even while holding a decent conversation.

One has to keep in mind that the users are not just "Native English Speakers." To me words can go here and there it doesn&#39;t really make a difference unless I am not able to understand anything about it, which has never happened. So if your reason to leave is that you don&#39;t want to be in a community of people who are from different countries, having different native languages, different cultures...then I am not sure where you are going with this. Your reason is understandable but your post about leaving is kiddish here unless you had another reason.

I am not sure if i would even welcome you if you have an attitude like that. If you have another reason to write about leaving the forum then i apologize.

I.am
I think as well that we should help us together, means
if there is polish guy who posts a polish message, I can translate
it to english ;) for the rest...

the same if you understand spanish, arabic, african...

Sparkle1984
11-28-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by internet.news+27 November 2003 - 21:02--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (internet.news @ 27 November 2003 - 21:02)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-I.am@26 November 2003 - 00:23
My 2 cents:

One has to keep in mind that the users are not just "Native English Speakers." To me words can go here and there it doesn&#39;t really make a difference unless I am not able to&nbsp; understand anything about it, which has never happened.&nbsp; So if your reason to leave is that you don&#39;t want to be in a community of people who are from different countries, having different native languages, different cultures...then I am not sure where you are going with this. Your reason is understandable but your post about leaving is kiddish here unless you had another reason.

Have a nice day&#33;&nbsp; :)
I.am

the same if you understand spanish, arabic, african... [/b][/quote]
you can speak polish as well as german?

nanotek
11-28-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Sparkle1984+28 November 2003 - 15:17--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sparkle1984 @ 28 November 2003 - 15:17)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by internet.news@27 November 2003 - 21:02
<!--QuoteBegin-I.am@26 November 2003 - 00:23
My 2 cents:

I.am

the same if you understand spanish, arabic, african...
you can speak polish as well as german? [/b][/quote]
there are lots of polish talking germans :D

leonidas
11-28-2003, 08:31 PM
Ja ja&#33;&#33; Ramon Sabes ke la cosa e mucho mas peor cuando se trata de un francés que llega a Cadiz :lol: Alli ni siquiera hablan espanol :)

SniperInTheShadows
11-28-2003, 08:42 PM
As you can see we&#39;ve had no luck stopping UKMan from posting garbage so far (heh ;) :P) so wanting everyone to post &#39;Formal English&#39; (Wazzup wit dat? Wat id dat? ;) :P ) is impossible, and unfair as some peep&#39;s aren&#39;t as well versed in the English language as other&#39;s are.

Sniper.

J'Pol
11-28-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by UKMan@25 November 2003 - 13:19

Unfortunately this is impossible to control - as you may understand, there are thousands who are members and all from different country&#39;s.
I find that very hard to believe.

In fact I am absolutely certain that there are at least half a dozen regular posters who are all from Scotland.

There are at least 1,627 from Australia, or it might be 3, I&#39;m not sure.

How can you substantiate this preposterous claim of your&#39;s. You are normally such a balanced individual, have you perhaps run mad at all.

Spider_dude
11-28-2003, 08:53 PM
you think reading what us scots read is bad wait till you try deciphering what we say.

translated to phonetic scots

yoo fink that reedin whit us scos read is baad, wait till ye try ta work oot whit we say.

MediaSlayer
11-28-2003, 08:54 PM
this calls for another "what country are you from" poll

J'Pol
11-28-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by MediaSlayer@28 November 2003 - 21:54
this calls for another "what country are you from" poll
Poland one would have thought.

MediaSlayer
11-28-2003, 09:01 PM
????

UKMan
11-28-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol+28 November 2003 - 21:51--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (J&#39;Pol @ 28 November 2003 - 21:51)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-UKMan@25 November 2003 - 13:19

Unfortunately this is impossible to control - as you may understand, there are thousands who are members and all from different country&#39;s.

In fact I am absolutely certain that there are at least half a dozen regular posters who are all from Scotland.

How can you substantiate this preposterous claim of your&#39;s. You are normally such a balanced individual, have you perhaps run mad at all. [/b][/quote]
yepp - i&#39;m mad - but i got 2 nice pm&#39;s from this guy. Just goes to show you what civility and understanding can do instead of the fucking crap that spews out from some peoples lips ;)

Am i angry - yepp
Am i surprised - nope

Call me what you will, but i take some people very seriously here - unlike others. Allways have, allways will. Sometimes joking goes too far and we lose a lot of good people through it. I refuse to be part of that crowd.

J'Pol
11-28-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by UKMan+28 November 2003 - 22:25--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (UKMan @ 28 November 2003 - 22:25)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@28 November 2003 - 21:51
<!--QuoteBegin-UKMan@25 November 2003 - 13:19

How can you substantiate this preposterous claim of your&#39;s. You are normally such a balanced individual, have you perhaps run mad at all.
yepp - i&#39;m mad - but i got 2 nice pm&#39;s from this guy. Just goes to show you what civility and understanding can do instead of the fucking crap that spews out from some peoples lips ;)

Am i angry - yepp
Am i surprised - nope

Call me what you will, but i take some people very seriously here - unlike others. Allways have, allways will. Sometimes joking goes too far and we lose a lot of good people through it. I refuse to be part of that crowd. [/b][/quote]
My apologies

Just having a bit of fun on a Friday night after a particularly hard week at work.

I will keep my fucking crap away from you in future.

Once again, my apologies if I have caused you any upset or anger.

Cheers

JimF

UKMan
11-28-2003, 09:40 PM
I dont think i would have answered anyones elses post anyway J,Pol - i know your joking - i do anyways, this is the whole point. Just read all of the answers above and you will see how we have insulted one good individual away from this board because of jokes and god knows what else.

Your a great guy, i respect you, one of the few we can have an intelligent conversation with - if somewhat dry, there are others too - but sometimes we go too far.

Like i said, i have 2 PM&#39;s from the original poster - food for thought dont you think?

This is a very close subject for me.

You havnt offended me J,Pol, i dont think you would anyways, you were just the one i had to reply to. Take that as a sign of my friendship.

Peace
UKMan

fugley
11-28-2003, 09:47 PM
Can anyone understand me?? :blink:

bigboab
11-28-2003, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by fugley@28 November 2003 - 21:47
Is that rhetorical Fuga? :lol:

fugley
11-28-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by bigboab+28 November 2003 - 21:49--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigboab @ 28 November 2003 - 21:49)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-fugley@28 November 2003 - 21:47
Can anyone understand me??&nbsp; :blink:
Is that rhetorical Fuga? :lol: [/b][/quote]
No Bigboab it was not rectorical it came from me head&#33; :blink:

bigboab
11-28-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by fugley+28 November 2003 - 21:54--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (fugley @ 28 November 2003 - 21:54)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by bigboab@28 November 2003 - 21:49
<!--QuoteBegin-fugley@28 November 2003 - 21:47
Is that rhetorical Fuga? :lol:
No Bigboab it was not rectorical it came from me head&#33; :blink: [/b][/quote]
I was only arsing. :rolleyes:

j2k4
11-29-2003, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by ramon37@25 November 2003 - 12:16
INNUENDO IS FORMAL ENGLISH, and I bet I knew the word long before you were born.
I thought an INNUENDO was an Italian suppository? :huh:

shinzuiski
11-29-2003, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by ramon37@25 November 2003 - 11:07
Thanks
why dont u juse put some more effort into reading the threads or posts that are not in formal english, that would also help.