PDA

View Full Version : Riddler's Brainteasers...episode 1

Pages : 1 [2]

Riddler
12-01-2003, 06:57 AM
Yup, it helps....helps me to realize that I'm sorely lacking in riddle-solving skills ! Now ain't THAT ironic ? :lol:

PS; Hi, how are ya ? ;)

ang3968
12-01-2003, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by Riddler@1 December 2003 - 16:57
Yup, it helps....helps me to realize that I'm sorely lacking in riddle-solving skills ! Now ain't THAT ironic ? :lol:

PS; Hi, how are ya ? ;)
hehe..

I don't believe it!!

are you seriously telling me I have stumped the famous Riddler??????

:o :o

:lol:

let me know if you want the answer... ;)

and I'm good thanx matee... hows you?

Riddler
12-01-2003, 07:14 AM
Never !! I am Riddler ! I will not ask for the answer ! Not in a million years !!

* pm me the answer ok ? * :P :lol:

....and I'm good thanks. :)

ang3968
12-01-2003, 07:20 AM
damn... can't find the pm button... :P

the answer uses mainly a rearrangement of the words...... and playing with the sounds within this arrangement.....

a clue.... erm...... the creditors are chasing, you better keep them off your back with this comment...... something easily said to the creditors over the phone.....

and if you don't get it with those hints then I'll just have to tell you the answer.....

:D

hope I haven't given it away cos I would love to stump you well and truly in the nicest possible way of course :lol:

Riddler
12-01-2003, 07:38 AM
" The cheque is in the mail " ? :unsure:

ang3968
12-01-2003, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Riddler@1 December 2003 - 17:38
" The cheque is in the mail " ? :unsure:
ohhhh... so close!!!

I have to give it to ya... :D

Check's in the mail... (check sin the male)

Riddler
12-01-2003, 07:49 AM
:D Good one Ang. Here's one right back atcha.............

Can you name 4 sports that require going backwards in order to win?

ang3968
12-01-2003, 07:54 AM
ok.....

swimming.. (backstroke)
rowing
highjump....

and and and......

hang on..... doh....

tug-o-war!

if I hadn't bluddy said hang on I would neva have got the last one!!!.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Riddler
12-01-2003, 07:58 AM
http://members.shaw.ca/wenpigsfly/smileys/clap.gif Good show !

The subject matter for this one's rather morbid but it's a good puzzler....

Gerta's husband left her for another woman, so she decided to make a lethal mixture to take her life. Attempting to make it as powerful as possible, she mixed sodium hydroxide with hydrochloric acid. She quaffed her cocktail of death, but nothing happened. Why?

ang3968
12-01-2003, 08:05 AM
ok, I used google.... can't lie, had to find out the properties of each to figure it out.... chemistry was not my strong point in school....

they cancel each other out don't they.... it makes salt....

:lol: :lol:

Riddler
12-01-2003, 08:07 AM
Yup.
You know your Google. :D

John got in trouble in class for throwing paper, the teacher made him clean it up and asked for his phone number so he could call John's parents. John said it was ninety-one, fourteen, sixty-three, seven. The teacher automatically knew it was a fake, how?

Lamsey
12-01-2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Riddler@1 December 2003 - 08:07
Yup.
You know your Google. :D

John got in trouble in class for throwing paper, the teacher made him clean it up and asked for his phone number so he could call John's parents. John said it was ninety-one, fourteen, sixty-three, seven. The teacher automatically knew it was a fake, how?
Well, if he was American or Canadian, it would be a problem because it starts with 911!

Riddler
12-01-2003, 09:48 AM
Yep. :D

As far east as east...
As far west as west...
If north is the future
What name fits me best?

ang3968
12-01-2003, 09:58 AM
North to Alaska!

:)

Riddler
12-01-2003, 10:02 AM
:o Very impressive ! :)

Here's the bonus part of the question.....name the 2 points east and west. ;)

ang3968
12-01-2003, 10:04 AM
research time!!!

research sounds much more sophisticated than google

:P

Riddler
12-01-2003, 10:05 AM

ang3968
12-01-2003, 10:10 AM
western-most point Little Diomede Island,
the eastern-most point Semisopochnoi Island in the Aleutians

howzat???

both in the US..... this is possible because Alaska straddles the international date line...????.... or so google said

Riddler
12-01-2003, 10:20 AM
Bravo ! http://members.shaw.ca/wenpigsfly/smileys/clap.gif

I'm determined to stump you yet....I have to get on even terms somehow for the other thread ! :lol:

Sam Rottenegger got some free tickets to go and see his least favorite band. Sam, feeling a little unruly, stopped at the corner store so he could bring a 1/2 dozen eggs with him to the concert.
The concert was packed and the tunes where so loud that Sam could hardly stand it. He started making his way through the crowd when one of the eggs broke in his pocket and ran down the inside of shirt. Sam squirmed with disgust but thought how great it would be to see that yellow ooze on the band members.

It took him 60 grueling minutes to make his way close enough to launch his attack. Sam chucked one right at the bass player but it just bounced off him without breaking.

"Odd," Sam thought, but every one of the 4 eggs he threw just landed unbroken. He never got to throw the 5th as security removed Sam promptly. Sam, now half deaf, bruised, battered, and confused looked closely at the egg and noticed it wasn't exactly raw anymore. Frustrated, Sam chucked the egg over his shoulder hitting an Officer who gladly gave him a free nights stay at the Bars Inn.

So what happened to the eggs that caused them not to break? Note that they were totally raw when he brought them in.

ang3968
12-01-2003, 10:24 AM
oooooooo.....toughy

ok... I don't think it was body heat even if it did take 60 mins to get thru the crowd... :unsure:

gonna have to put the thinking cap on for this one....lol.. don't think google will help at all

Riddler
12-01-2003, 10:28 AM
Yup, this one's a classic science puzzle....you could do a different kind of search if you had to. ;)

ang3968
12-01-2003, 10:40 AM
AHA..........

high volume sound waves at certain frequencies can cause the proteins in an egg to stick together almost like when it is boiled...... so the eggs bounced like a hard boiled egg instead of breaking.

Riddler
12-01-2003, 10:47 AM
Hmmm.....I see you found it huh ? :D ;)

Find the only words in the English language that contain these three letters in the exact order below.

1) ADQ
2) EKD
3) FSP
4) GNP

ang3968
12-01-2003, 10:55 AM
do you know how many egg sites I had to look at to find it????

ok...
1)
2) Weekday
3)
4) Signpost

and I'm still working on the other two... :)

Riddler
12-01-2003, 11:05 AM

Two for four....good start.http://www.emotipad.com/emoticons/Big%20Thumb%20Up.gif

ang3968
12-01-2003, 11:07 AM
3) Offspring

btw hows the skeleton hunt going???.... :P

Riddler
12-01-2003, 11:09 AM
Check it out. ;)

ang3968
12-01-2003, 11:22 AM
1) Headquarters
2) Weekday
3) Offspring
4) Signpost

Riddler
12-01-2003, 11:28 AM
http://members.shaw.ca/wenpigsfly/smileys/spoton.gif

Here's another classic....

There was once a man named Harold. Harold was from England. The king would always get upset with Harold because it seemed like Harold never failed at anything and the king was jealous.
So one day, the king was determined to prove Harold a failure. He drew a line across the floor. He said:
"Harold, make this line shorter. You may not erase it in any way".
Harold said
"No problem your highness".
And he made the line shorter.

How is this possible?

ang3968
12-01-2003, 11:38 AM
did he draw another line that was longer???

Riddler
12-01-2003, 11:45 AM
He soitanly did. :D

The time is twenty-six minutes to one in the afternoon. The year is 1978, and the date is May 6th. What is the significance of this?

* other than the fact that it's actually not the date today * :P

AussieSheila
12-01-2003, 11:47 AM
:D Ang and Riddler sittin' in a tree... K I S S I N G

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:ph34r: Whoops! j/k

:ph34r: :ph34r: Double whoops! j/k in a serious thread.

http://www.chinkii.com/uploads/album/misc/eekout.gif

Riddler
12-01-2003, 11:53 AM
http://members.shaw.ca/wenpigsfly/smileys/shy.gif am not, am not, am not....nah, nah, nah, nah, nah.

ang3968
12-01-2003, 11:58 AM
almost had me on this one...

we don't write the date the same way here....

12:34 5/6/78

but if you were in Australia it wouldn't make sense.... 12:34 6/5/78, you have to use the 5th of June 1978

:blink: :blink:
erm.... in a tree???....
damn I haven't climbed a tree for years....

couldn't we just make out in the car???..... ;)

promise to leave the lights on for ya Andie so you can watch.... :P

Riddler
12-01-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by ang3968@1 December 2003 - 04:58
almost had me on this one...

we don't write the date the same way here....

12:34 5/6/78

but if you were in Australia it wouldn't make sense.... 12:34 6/5/78, you have to use the 5th of June 1978

I thought that might give a bit of trouble.....but you came through ! :D

Riddler
12-01-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by ang3968@1 December 2003 - 04:58

:blink:  :blink:
erm.... in a tree???....
damn I haven't climbed a tree for years....

couldn't we just make out in the car???.....  ;)

promise to leave the lights on for ya Andie so you can watch....  :P
...and um...........http://home.no.net/ungpike/emoticons/bryddsmil.gif

Riddler
12-01-2003, 12:36 PM
OK, mystery time................

Detective Knickers had just finished examining the body of Gertrude Munsch which was lying on couch in her plush living room.

"Mrs. Munsch was hit on the back of her head 3 or 4 times with the butt of that pistol," the sleuth said.

The .45 lay on the floor near the body. Sheriff Googler was dusting the weapon for fingerprints.

"I've telephoned her husband at his office and only told him to come home, I dislike breaking bad news.Will you do it?", the sheriff said.

"I'll do it," said Knickers as he watched the body being removed from the scene. Then he took a seat in a lounge chair to wait for Mr. Munsch.

The Ambulance drove away just as Mr. Munsch arrived. He came into the living room and asked, "Where's Gerti ? What's happened?"

"I'm sorry to have to tell you that she was murdered about 3 hours ago," said Knickers. "Your cleaning lady found the body and called the sheriff."

"I can't find any fingerprints on this gun," said the sheriff. "I'll send it to the lab."

Mr. Munsch's face flushed as he got angry and said, "please find the fiend that clubbed Gertie to death, I'll put up a twenty-five thousand dollar reward!"

"Save your money," said Googler. "The murderer won't be that hard to find." Why?

Lamsey
12-01-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Riddler@1 December 2003 - 12:36
Detective Knickers had just finished examining the body of Gertrude Munsch which was lying on couch in her plush living room.

"Mrs. Munsch was hit on the back of her head 3 or 4 times with the butt of that pistol," the sleuth said.

The .45 lay on the floor near the body. Sheriff Googler was dusting the weapon for fingerprints.

"I've telephoned her husband at his office and only told him to come home, I dislike breaking bad news.Will you do it?", the sheriff said.

"I'll do it," said Knickers as he watched the body being removed from the scene. Then he took a seat in a lounge chair to wait for Mr. Munsch.

The Ambulance drove away just as Mr. Munsch arrived. He came into the living room and asked, "Where's Gerti ? What's happened?"

"I'm sorry to have to tell you that she was murdered about 3 hours ago," said Knickers. "Your cleaning lady found the body and called the sheriff."

"I can't find any fingerprints on this gun," said the sheriff. "I'll send it to the lab."

Mr. Munsch's face flushed as he got angry and said, "please find the fiend that clubbed Gertie to death, I'll put up a twenty-five thousand dollar reward!"

"Save your money," said Googler. "The murderer won't be that hard to find." Why?
It was the husband - he knew that she'd been clubbed to death with the pistol rather than being shot, but the detective never told him that.

ang3968
12-01-2003, 12:45 PM
oh well done Lamsey!!

it's obvious when someone points it out... :rolleyes:

Riddler
12-01-2003, 12:48 PM
Yes, nicely done Mr.Holmes. ;)

You prob'ly remember this one Liam, so hold off til next one, K?. :D

"I've finally earned my place as assistant curator of the museum", said Bob Hobbie to Max, the chief administrator of the Belgra Archeological Museum. "I moved West of the Pakistani dig site and we've just unearthed some wonderful coin artifacts."

"Why did you start digging in a new location?" asked Max.

"One of the local natives told me that, for many generations, his family had passed down a legend of a lost village and he found a map among his father's things," said Bob. "His father recently passed away", he added. "The native followed the map and led me to this site on the condition that if we discovered anything of value he would be paid one thousand dollars", explained Bob.

"And what is it that you found buried,?" asked Max.

"It's just terrific," exclaimed Bob, "we found 3 gold coins of various sizes dated 400 B.C., and after properly dusting them off I found them to be in excellent condition." "I quickly paid the native to complete our verbal contract and keep him from trying to claim a portion of the discovery," concluded Bob. After considering for a few moments, Max told Bob that when he returns home he should look for another job!! Why?

bigboab
12-01-2003, 12:51 PM
I will pass on this one too. I was there when these coins were minted. That old Eh? :lol:

ang3968
12-01-2003, 12:59 PM
erm... :blink:

how could they date coins BC.... they wouldn't know it was BC till after it was BC....

Riddler
12-01-2003, 01:16 PM
Yup. :) http://members.shaw.ca/wenpigsfly/smileys/clap.gif

Riddler
12-01-2003, 01:57 PM
This one's kind of enlightening really ;) ....finish the last line of this poem;

It was the first time as I recall,
One evening in May, you gave it me,
My mother was hiding and watching it all,
My very first time with her own eyes to see.
It was an experience beyond compare.
You pushed it between my lips, I swear,
I could feel it, feel it, all of it there.
I coughed and I spluttered, I thought I would choke,
So great was the feeling that nobody spoke,
The first time you gave me - my ____ ____ _____.

ang3968
12-01-2003, 02:05 PM
oooer Ridds... ;)

but being a smoker I'm guessing it would be "my ( first puff or something along those lines) first smoke"

only cos I remember coughing and spluttering, and thinking I would choke, bit....

Riddler
12-01-2003, 02:10 PM
http://www.emotipad.com/emoticons/Smokin.gif
....very first smoke.

Good one Ang. :)

titey
12-02-2003, 03:43 PM
.:blink: *BOINK!* :blink:

This thread seems to be lacking somefin Ridds. <_<

Riddler
12-02-2003, 03:47 PM

Right you are tw..............

This one&#39;s a groaner....don&#39;t think too seriously, but you will have to think.

The tour guide was finishing the tour at Mozart&#39;s grave and told everyone that if they listened very carefully, they could hear actual music coming from the grave. Everyone immediately fell silent and, sure enough, symphony music could be distinctly heard coming from the ground although it sounded as if it were being played backwards. What could possibly explain this?

titey
12-02-2003, 03:50 PM
Yes of course groan....Hes was DEcomposing. :rolleyes:

Riddler
12-02-2003, 03:54 PM
http://members.shaw.ca/wenpigsfly/smileys/clap.gif

Two people come to a pirahna infested river. There is a rowboat, however it can carry one person only. How can they each get to the other side of the river using the boat?

ilw
12-02-2003, 03:55 PM
whichever side the boat is on the person gets in and rows to the other side where the other person gets in and rows back :D

titey
12-02-2003, 03:56 PM
Do they both start out on the same side? http://members.shaw.ca/wenpigsfly/smileys/fish2.gif

<_< That&#39;s what I get for takin the time to add a fish to my post.

Riddler
12-02-2003, 03:57 PM
ilw nailed it. :D

IBIS IBEX ORYX SIKA ZEBU

Which of the above words don&#39;t belong in that set ?

bigboab
12-02-2003, 04:00 PM
Ibis? I think it is a bird.

Riddler
12-02-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by bigboab@2 December 2003 - 09:00
Ibis? I think it is a bird.
It certainly is, bb.http://members.shaw.ca/wenpigsfly/smileys/clap.gif

Someone else have a go for a while. :)

ilw
12-02-2003, 04:19 PM
With fingers alone, I can make you drop things in your hands.
With flies, I can make you lose concentration.
With balls, I can make all of you fat.

titey
12-02-2003, 04:31 PM
http://www.good4asmile.com/images2/candy/butterfinger.gifhttp://teacherweb.com/images/butterfly.gifhttp://www.metropolismag.com/images/images_1298/de98mo4.gif

ilw
12-02-2003, 04:39 PM
artistically done titey :P

Timothy and Urban play a game with two dice. But they do not use the numbers. Some of the faces are painted red and the others blue. Each player throws the dice in turn. Timothy wins when the two top faces are the same color. Urban wins when the colors are different. Their chances are even.
The first die has 5 red faces and 1 blue face. How many red and how many blue are there on the second die?

titey
12-02-2003, 04:42 PM
<s>I wanna say 5 blue an&#39; 1 red.... but that seems too easy</s>. :unsure:

:rolleyes: Ignore that.... it&#39;s wrong&#33;

ilw
12-02-2003, 04:45 PM
http://members.shaw.ca/wenpigsfly/smileys/no2.gif

that would be too easy.

titey
12-02-2003, 04:52 PM
I can&#39;t wrap my head around how to figure out an equasion for this, but it must be 2 red an&#39; 4 blue. :blink:

ilw
12-02-2003, 04:58 PM
http://members.shaw.ca/wenpigsfly/smileys/no2.gif

a bit of the reasoning behind it,
there are 36 possible combinations, so for equal odds each player must win with 18 of these 36. Tim&#39;s wins are 5 x two blues + 1 x two reds.

titey
12-02-2003, 05:28 PM
:unsure: I was gonna say 3 each before the last post, but it just didn&#39;t seem possible that it was right, so I said 2 & 4.... but after twiddlin #s, I&#39;m back to 3 & 3 again.

It still don&#39;t seem right though, but.... :blink:

<_< An&#39; NO, I&#39;m not just workin my way down the possibilites.... if&#39;n this ain&#39;t it, then I quit&#33;

ilw
12-02-2003, 05:37 PM
3 each wins the prize

http://www.superweddings.com/shopfor/cigar.jpg

for old times sake :P

titey
12-02-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by ilw@2 December 2003 - 11:37
http://www.superweddings.com/shopfor/cigar.jpg

for old times sake :P
http://members.shaw.ca/wenpigsfly/smileys/smokeing.gif

Sorry for the delay.... having some "issuses" wif another "member" (a-hole more like. <_< )

Riddler
12-03-2003, 02:01 PM
Wow, had to get out the Big Shovel to dig this back up. :P

A woman was standing at a table while a man sat on the other side of the table. The man had a drink but had not ordered any food. The woman took something out of her shoe and put it in front of the man on the table. The man looked at it carefully but did not touch it. The woman then took something else out of the same shoe and put it on her side of the table, but the man did not look at it. The woman then took something else out of her shoe and put it on the table in front of the man, who looked at it but again did not touch it. The woman then pulled a fourth object out of her shoe and put it on her side of the table. This time the man looked at the object she had just put down and asked her politely not to give him anything else from her shoe. What is going on here?

Snee
12-03-2003, 02:21 PM
They are playing cards...blackjack?

Riddler
12-03-2003, 02:25 PM
Hiya SnnY...." hit me." :D

What do the following numbers - and only these numbers - have in common?
3 7 10 11 12

Snee
12-03-2003, 02:29 PM
Only vowel in them is "e"?

No wait- there&#39;s always seventeen, and so forth :unsure:
Only numbers without teen in them, but still with only "e&#39;s" then :blink:

Riddler
12-03-2003, 02:33 PM
:o Uh-oh, this could be another short night for this thread &#33; You&#39;re on fire again. :D

This one was designed to stump the peeps in warm climates...I doubt you&#39;ll have any trouble with it SnnY. ;)

Eight children spent a fun-filled 2 hours on a winter&#39;s day running back and forth between two houses, throwing rocks at the houses. Their parents watched them without trying to stop them at all, even though there was ice where they were running. In fact, the parents cheered the good throws. Why?

Snee
12-03-2003, 02:35 PM
Curling? :huh:

Riddler
12-03-2003, 02:40 PM
Yikes &#33; Get a pail of water and put this man out. :lol:

Billy-Bob was touring Europe in his car and arrived in the city of Zurich, Switzerland. Upon locating a parking space next to a lake he placed enough money in the parking meter for one hour. Two hours later he returned to his car to find a parking ticket on his windscreen.

After a little thought he came up with an idea, and in thirty minutes he was able to drive out of the city without any need of paying his fine. How did he perform this scam?

ang3968
12-03-2003, 02:44 PM
told the coppers he couldn&#39;t find the car??

Riddler
12-03-2003, 02:46 PM
Nope.http://members.shaw.ca/wenpigsfly/smileys/no2.gif

OK...............yes.

.....Damn &#33;

Snee
12-03-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Riddler@3 December 2003 - 15:40
Yikes &#33; Get a pail of water and put this man out. :lol:

Billy-Bob was touring Europe in his car and arrived in the city of Zurich, Switzerland. Upon locating a parking space next to a lake he placed enough money in the parking meter for one hour. Two hours later he returned to his car to find a parking ticket on his windscreen.

After a little thought he came up with an idea, and in thirty minutes he was able to drive out of the city without any need of paying his fine. How did he perform this scam?
Has it to do with different timezones?

he set his watch to another one or something... How close is Zürich to the next/previous one?

Riddler
12-03-2003, 02:48 PM
Well, at least I stumped SnnY :D

Snee
12-03-2003, 02:49 PM
Ang was right? :blink:

Damn those simple solutions&#33; :lol:

ang3968
12-03-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by SnnY@4 December 2003 - 00:49
Ang was right? :blink:

I was right??? :blink:

:lol: :lol:

Riddler
12-03-2003, 02:56 PM
http://members.shaw.ca/wenpigsfly/smileys/spoton.gif

Once upon a time in the town of Kaylitelounge, a servant lived with his master. After 30 years of faithful service, his master became ill and was going to die. One day, the master called his servant and asked to make a wish. It could be any wish.... but just one. The master gave him one day to think about it. The servant became very happy and went to his mother for some direction. His mother was blind and she asked her son to ask the old man to restore her sight. Then the servant went to his wife. She became very excited and asked for a son as they&#39;d been childless for many years. After that, the servant went to his father who wanted to be rich and so he asked his son to wish for a lot of money. The next day he went to his master and made one wish through which all three (mother, father, wife) got what they wanted. What did the servant say to his master ?

ang3968
12-03-2003, 03:00 PM
erm...

his mother would like to see her grandson in a golden crib.... or something along those lines??

Snee
12-03-2003, 03:01 PM
i guess the money&#39;d help with all three: eye-operation, adoption, wealth.

But thats too easy :huh:

dwightfry
12-03-2003, 03:03 PM
"I wish to give each of them (mother, wife, father) one wish"

Snee
12-03-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by ang3968@3 December 2003 - 16:00
erm...

his mother would like to see her grandson in a golden crib.... or something along those lines??
Oh yer sooo good.

In a way we&#39;re all right I&#39;d say:

Mine&#39;s the best one in reality

Ang&#39;s the Most Accurate

And dwight&#39;s is a lawyer&#39;s answer.

ilw
12-03-2003, 03:06 PM
I think i know where you get your riddles from Mr Riddler Sir :P I saw all the last ones you posted on a website when i went looking for riddles yesterday

Whats the secret of your mysterious powers worth? :D :lol:

Riddler
12-03-2003, 03:06 PM
http://members.shaw.ca/wenpigsfly/smileys/clap.gif Way to go Ang.

...although the other two answers were excellent as well. :)

Anyone care to give one ?

* I&#39;ve got to find a puzzle book that Ang doesn&#39;t have * j/k luv. ;)

dwightfry
12-03-2003, 03:08 PM
You should do another. :P

Riddler
12-03-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by ilw@3 December 2003 - 08:06
I think i know where you get your riddles from Mr Riddler Sir :P I saw all the last ones you posted on a website when i went looking for riddles yesterday

Whats the secret of your mysterious powers worth? :D :lol:
:lol: Not much really, ilw. Everyone knows that I&#39;m just not that bright. :huh:

Snee
12-03-2003, 03:10 PM
I got a puzzle-book in the mail a while ago - some sort of promotion-stunt, maybe I&#39;ll translate a few one of these days, I made up a couple of my own as well, but those need work.

:) I solve yours by figuring them out though, Ridds&#39;. :)

ang3968
12-03-2003, 03:14 PM
there are puzzle books???? :o :o

lol... actually I used to solve a lot of puzzles and find once you get in the right frame of mind they aint that hard to figure out....
it just requires thinking outside the square...

got me old brain ticking anyway... :D

and gave me a good excuse to chat up Ridds.... :P

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Riddler
12-03-2003, 03:15 PM
http://home.no.net/ungpike/emoticons/bryddsmil.gif

ilw
12-03-2003, 03:15 PM
In a far away land, it was known that if you drank poison, the only way to save yourself is to drink a stronger poison, which neutralizes the weaker poison. The king that ruled the land wanted to make sure that he possessed the strongest poison in the kingdom, in order to ensure his survival, in any situation. So the king called the kingdom&#39;s pharmacist and the kingdom&#39;s treasurer, he gave each a week to make the strongest poison. Then, each would drink the other one&#39;s poison, then his own, and the one that will survive, will be the one that had the stronger potion.
The pharmacist went straight to work, but the treasurer knew he had no chance, for the pharmacist was much more experienced in this field, so instead, he made up a plan to survive and make sure the pharmacist dies. On the last day the pharmacist suddenly realized that the treasurer would know he had no chance, so he must have a plan. After a little thought, the pharmacist realized what the treasurer&#39;s plan must be, and he concocted a counter plan, to make sure he survives and the treasurer dies. When the time came, they king summoned both of them. They drank the potions as planned, and the treasurer died, the pharmacist survived.
What exactly happened there?

Riddler
12-03-2003, 03:32 PM
Hmmm...I can&#39;t seem to find that one ilw.....I really hope I don&#39;t have to actually try to figure it out on my own. :P

Snee
12-03-2003, 03:36 PM
If the treasurer swaps the pharmacists potion for water, then drinks a weaker potion before the test he&#39;ll make it.

But if the pharmacist swaps it back, then the treasurer is in trouble.

Best one I&#39;ve got right now.

dwightfry
12-03-2003, 03:38 PM
um..... lets see

did the treasurer just use water, and planned fake drinking the pharmisists.

So the pharmasist just used water also and poisoned the water before giving to the treasurer, the treasurer figuared it must just be water also and drank it?

ang3968
12-03-2003, 03:41 PM
ok... hows this sound....

the only way to save yourself would be to drink a weak poison first then the strong one which would neutralise the weaker one right....

so the treasurer&#39;s plan was to drink a weak poison first then the stronger one made by the pharmacist and to bring water....

when the pharmacist figured that out he took water so the treasurer died from the first weaker poison and the pharmacist only drank water.....???

well it started out making sense... :blink:

edit:... blah took so long trying to figure it out and then type it two people got in before me... :lol: :lol: :lol:
maybe I should forget the puzzles and work on the typing skills...

Snee
12-03-2003, 03:47 PM
nm ang said it.

:"> and I read it too before I posted, I just didn&#39;t get what she was saying, me=eejit :lol:

ang3968
12-03-2003, 04:09 PM
lol SnnY... I didn&#39;t get it after I typed it either... :blink:

ok here&#39;s one for you all but as I&#39;m going to bed you&#39;ll just have to assume you are right..... or wait for tomorrow to find out... :D

To the bold, I am a weapon;
To the gallant, I am a pin;
To the gracious, I am a service;
To the bridesmaid, I am a win.

To the traitor, I am a bribe;
To the star, I am a screen;
To the swift, I am an arrow;
To the bride, I am a dream.

What am I?

Snee
12-03-2003, 04:18 PM
silver
no wait, it don&#39;t make sense :blink:

dwightfry
12-03-2003, 04:20 PM
I think you got it, but I don&#39;t understand these 2 lines then

-------------------------------------

To the bold, I am a weapon; (you can make a weapon)
To the gallant, I am a pin; (you can make a pin)

To the traitor, I am a bribe; (you can bribe with silver)
To the star, I am a screen; (movies are the silverscreen)
To the swift, I am an arrow; (you can make an arrowtip)
To the bride, I am a dream. (A bride would have silverdreams, good dreams of the future)

Snee
12-03-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by dwightfry@3 December 2003 - 17:20
I think you got it, but I don&#39;t understand these 2 lines then

-------------------------------------

To the bold, I am a weapon; (you can make a weapon)
To the gallant, I am a pin; (you can make a pin)

To the traitor, I am a bribe; (you can bribe with silver)
To the star, I am a screen; (movies are the silverscreen)
To the swift, I am an arrow; (you can make an arrowtip)
To the bride, I am a dream. (A bride would have silverdreams, good dreams of the future)
The traitor would be judas

the gracious I don&#39;t get

the bridesmaid- silver-wedding i assume

AussieSheila
12-03-2003, 04:52 PM
To the gracious I am a service. Well, wouldn&#39;t that be a silver tea service, that the &#39;gracious&#39; would serve afternoon tea on?

And a bridesmaid is usually given a piece of jewellery as thanks.

I think you&#39;ve got it Snny.

Hi BTW&#33;

B)

Snee
12-03-2003, 04:53 PM
This one may be too easy :unsure:

The beginning of time, late in the past, near the middle of the future.

what am I?

hi Andie :D

Lamsey
12-03-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by SnnY@3 December 2003 - 15:53
The beginning of time, late in the past, near the middle of the future.

what am I?
I don&#39;t think the answer to that is very difficult to work out :rolleyes:

Snee
12-03-2003, 04:57 PM
I said it was too easy, think it lost something in the translation. :)

I may try posting some harder ones another time, but now I gotta eat :)

Snee
12-03-2003, 06:40 PM
Here&#39;s an old one, hope it hasn&#39;t been posted yet.

What has rivers but no water?
Forests but no trees?
Cities but no houses?

EDit:oops, wrong tags :unsure: I&#39;m weird today&#33;

MagicNakor
12-03-2003, 06:47 PM
Hmm back to actual riddles again?

I may have to pay attention to this thread once more. ;)

:ninja:

lynx
12-03-2003, 06:49 PM
This is just spam.

Or do I have that backwards?

dwightfry
12-03-2003, 06:54 PM
It&#39;s more powerful than God.
It&#39;s more evil than the devil.
The poor have it.
The rich need it.
If you eat it, you&#39;ll die.
What am I

Snee
12-03-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by lynx@3 December 2003 - 19:49
This is just spam.

Or do I have that backwards?
:lol: Good one :)

@dwight, I recognize this one, but it&#39;s good, so I won&#39;t answer

dwightfry
12-03-2003, 06:56 PM
I have to leave work soon, so just to speed things up here is the other one I wanted to post

The maker doesn&#39;t want it
The Buyer doesn&#39;t need it
The User doesn&#39;t know he&#39;s using it
What is it?

Illuminati
12-03-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by SnnY@3 December 2003 - 19:40
What has rivers but no water?
Forests but no trees?
Cities but no houses?
Trying to tell us you haven&#39;t got a map, eh? ;)

EDIT: Dammit - Only just got lynx&#39;s post :(

Illuminati
12-03-2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by dwightfry@3 December 2003 - 19:56
The maker doesn&#39;t want it
The Buyer doesn&#39;t need it
The User doesn&#39;t know he&#39;s using it
What is it?

Doing a Charles Ingram, eh? :lol:

(i.e. coffin ;) I know - Bad pun :rolleyes:)

dwightfry
12-03-2003, 07:02 PM
Yep

I gotta go

Here is the answer for the first one spelled backwards and yellow

*G*h*I*h*T*o*N*

bigboab
12-03-2003, 09:58 PM
Here is a difficult one&#33;

Name me four islands in Great Britain. Also give their location.

Gemby!
12-03-2003, 10:01 PM
island 1 2 and 3 (thats their names) and they are all in a secret location which i cannot discuss

Lamsey
Originally posted by bigboab@3 December 2003 - 20:58
Lewis, Barra, Uist, Skye - all in the Western Isles.

http://www.familyrapp.com/maps/western-isles.gif

Mat_At_Home
Hey Guys these are great but does anyone know where I can get a database just to print with the riddle and answer?
Thanks Guys (and Laydeez :P]

Mat

http://members.shaw.ca/wenpigsfly/smileys2/band.gif

bigboab
12-03-2003, 10:03 PM
Sorry Liam, but none qualify. :rolleyes:

Snee
12-03-2003, 10:04 PM
for gemby&#33;:

I belong to you, but everyone else will use me more than you

What am I?

Mat_At_Home
12-03-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by SnnY@3 December 2003 - 22:04
for gemby&#33;:

What am I?
A toilet.. oi oi hahaha

Snee
12-03-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by bigboab@3 December 2003 - 23:03
Scotland England and Wales is on an Island, don&#39;t know if it has a name though :D

as is Northern Ireland(still a part of GB?).. on Eyre?

Snee
12-03-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Mat_At_Home+3 December 2003 - 23:06--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mat_At_Home @ 3 December 2003 - 23:06)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-SnnY@3 December 2003 - 22:04
for gemby&#33;:

What am I?
A toilet.. oi oi hahaha [/b][/quote]
:lol: No

Nice try.

Mat_At_Home
12-03-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by SnnY+3 December 2003 - 22:06--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SnnY @ 3 December 2003 - 22:06)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigboab@3 December 2003 - 23:03
Scotland England and Wales is on an Island, don&#39;t know if it has a name though :D

as is Northern Ireland(still a part of GB?).. on Eyre? [/b][/quote]
I live on Northern Ireland and as a strict Unionist I say that we are a part of GB and what I says goes see? Cause I&#39;m Northern Irish&#33; Heh&#33;

bigboab
12-03-2003, 10:18 PM
No correct answers yet.(Bump)

Mat_At_Home
12-03-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Mat_At_Home@3 December 2003 - 22:01
Hey Guys these are great but does anyone know where I can get a database just to print with the riddle and answer?
Thanks Guys (and Laydeez :P]

Mat

http://members.shaw.ca/wenpigsfly/smileys2/band.gif
??

Snee
12-03-2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by bigboab@3 December 2003 - 22:58
Here is a difficult one&#33;

Isle of Man, off the coast of northern ireland.

Isle of Wight, off the southern coast of England.

Yell, one of the shetland isles (googled for this)

Fair Isle, the same.

then there&#39;s the Falklands, and the hebrides and the other Shetlands

bigboab
12-03-2003, 10:34 PM
No sorry Snny. :(

Snee
12-03-2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by bigboab+3 December 2003 - 22:58--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigboab @ 3 December 2003 - 22:58)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Name me four islands in Great Britain. Also give their location. [/b]
For anyone who drops in, I have to retire for the night so here are the unsolved ones for today.^ and:

<!--QuoteBegin-Me

for gemby&#33;:

What am I?

[/quote]
Gemby appears to be gone, so this one is open for anyone now too.

Gemby!
12-03-2003, 11:20 PM
my good and luvly nature :lol: - im back NOW &#33;&#33; :P

bigboab
12-03-2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by gemby&#33;@3 December 2003 - 23:20
my good and luvly nature :lol: - im back NOW &#33;&#33; :P
Is that my name Gemby?

Gemby!
12-03-2003, 11:22 PM
no your name is bigboab

bigboab
12-03-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by gemby&#33;@3 December 2003 - 23:22
no your name is bigboab
No&#33; I mean is My Name the answer to your riddle? :lol:

Snee
12-03-2003, 11:27 PM
@bb: correct, of course. :lol: It isn&#39;t gemby&#39;s riddle, I posted it especially for her to solve originally is all. :lol:

seein&#39; as how I&#39;m still here, here&#39;s another, until someone really good comes along and solves the one bigboab posted:

(It&#39;s a modern one):

I live above a star, without being burnt.
Eleven neighbors surround me, they won&#39;t ever move.

What am I?

Gemby!
12-03-2003, 11:27 PM
you sure - i still think its bigboab :P

and not many people call me gemby&#33; its usually gemma or gem or G ( some fool calls me that) or jimbob

them sweets with the stars and the rats that hover above them before eating them ... and i dont think this is right ...

bigboab
12-03-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by SnnY@3 December 2003 - 23:27
@bb: correct, of course. :lol: It isn&#39;t gemby&#39;s riddle, I posted it especially for her to solve originally is all. :lol:

seein&#39; as how I&#39;m still here, here&#39;s another, until someone really good comes along and solves the one bigboab posted:

(It&#39;s a modern one):

What am I?
At the present moment Snny I am thinking of a fairy on a Christmas tree. But I dont know why. :(

Gemby!
12-03-2003, 11:34 PM
now im off - is it a comet ?

they are perdy :)

nite nite xx

Snee
12-03-2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by bigboab+4 December 2003 - 00:32--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigboab &#064; 4 December 2003 - 00:32)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-SnnY@3 December 2003 - 23:27

(It&#39;s a modern one):

What am I?
At the present moment Snny I am thinking of a fairy on a Christmas tree. But I dont know why. :( [/b][/quote]
Not what I was looking for, but it isn&#39;t a bad answer :)

@gemby, nope sorry :)

:santa:

bigboab
12-03-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by SnnY+3 December 2003 - 23:35--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SnnY @ 3 December 2003 - 23:35)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by bigboab@4 December 2003 - 00:32
<!--QuoteBegin-SnnY@3 December 2003 - 23:27

(It&#39;s a modern one):

What am I?
At the present moment Snny I am thinking of a fairy on a Christmas tree. But I dont know why. :(
Not what I was looking for, but it isn&#39;t a bad answer :)

:santa: [/b][/quote]
Thank goodness for that Snny. I did not want to go to bed dreaming about a fairy. :D

ang3968
12-03-2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by SnnY@4 December 2003 - 09:27

What am I?

the number "7" on a telephone???

if it&#39;s right then thank gawd for the phone call that interrupted my train of thought... :D

Snee
12-03-2003, 11:45 PM
Well done&#33; ang :D

This was my last, at least for this time. :)

ang3968
12-03-2003, 11:48 PM
thanx SnnY :)

I have one.....

Seven horses in a farm in Kentucky,
Of three blacks, the oldest is a daddy;
Of two browns, the 3 year old male is called BILLY,
And the horse SNOWY is white as a lily.

Of two half-sister mares, the black won in the Derby,
She&#39;s a shade lighter than her daughter, BEAUTY;
BEAUTY and her cousin LUCKY, both half the age of their auntie,
But faster than either ROCKY or SUNNY.

Three of the horses are ready for the Derby,
A horse must be three years to be an entry;
Maybe this year the farm gets lucky,
Their stallion&#39;s loss last year was a pity.

CHALLENGE: Describe the horse that lost in last year&#39;s Derby.

still trying to work on the 4 island one.... :blink:

lynx
12-04-2003, 02:32 AM
Dogs, Ely, Thanet, Wight.

:rolleyes:

Edit: It was too logical to refuse.
@ang: your&#39;s takes a bit more thinking about, and I&#39;m not sure I&#39;m capable at the moment. Cos I&#39;m pished.

bigboab
12-04-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by lynx@4 December 2003 - 02:32
Dogs, Ely, Thanet, Wight.

:rolleyes:

Edit: It was too logical to refuse.
@ang: your&#39;s takes a bit more thinking about, and I&#39;m not sure I&#39;m capable at the moment. Cos I&#39;m pished.
Sorry one wrong Lynx. One of yours is an actual island. ;)

But you have done all the work. :)

Alucard1475
12-04-2003, 11:49 AM
Snowy B)

dwightfry
12-04-2003, 05:27 PM
That&#39;s tough.

I noticed that it says there are 7 horses, but only 6 are named and only 6 are described by there color. Is that a mistake...or a hint/clue?

I think this is how it all works out.

(Black #1) - ROCKY,(AGE?),Can Enter/Not going to/Too old
(Black #2) - SUNNY,(AGE?), Can enter/Won Derby last yr
(Black #3) - BEAUTY, 1.5 yrs old, Can&#39;t enter
(Brown #1) - BILLY, 3 yrs old, Can enter/Couldn&#39;t last year
(Brown #2) - LUCKY, 1.5 yrs old, Can&#39;t enter
(White #1) - SNOWY,(AGE?), Can Enter

..............................................ROCKY
....................................../...........|............&#092;
.............................. SUNNY.....BILLY......SNOWY
.............................../..................................&#092;
..........................BEAUTY....................... LUCKY

So....My guess is that Rocky lost last year, It was a pity because he is getting old.

Riddler
12-05-2003, 02:13 PM
That looks right Ang.......nice work on that, dwightfry &#33;

Allow me to put one out there while we wait for Ang&#39;s yay or nay..........

Scatterbrain the Treasurer was a bit of a ... well, scatterbrain, and he had forgotten how many gold, silver and bronze coins were kept in the town vaults. So he decided to ask the three guards, each of whom guarded one type of coin, how many coins were in his charge. However, the guards were uncooperative, and the best that Scatterbrain could get from each was a statement about the numbers of coins in the other two vaults. Dimwit, who was guarding the gold, said there were 3000 silver and 5000 bronze coins; Thickplank, who was in charge of the silver, said there were 3000 gold and 5000 bronze; while Beefbrain, who was protecting the bronze, said there were 4000 gold and 3000 silver. Unfortunately, only one guard was being truthful, each of the other two stating at least one false amount. If there were 12000 coins altogether, how many of each type were there?

ilw
12-05-2003, 02:19 PM
Thickplank is telling the truth

3000 gold, 5000 bronze and 4000 silver

Riddler
12-05-2003, 02:29 PM
Bravo ilw &#33; :D

Your turn. :)

ilw
12-05-2003, 02:40 PM
didn&#39;t realise we had a turns system :blink:

Gertie just came from the office of her dear departed aunt&#39;s lawyer. She was told that her aunt (who loved language teasers) left her a certain amount of money in US Dollars. The lawyer explained that according to the terms of her aunt&#39;s Last Will and Testament, Gertie will get fifty times the original amount bequethed if she could correctly guess the amount left her by midnight tomorrow. "God, that would be thousands of dollars if you succeed," the lawyer said as he handed her a note from her aunt. It read:

RAIN RIDDLE: OLD ASTRONOMY HOST ALLOWS ABLE LASS ENTRY IN OWN LAND ESTATE. Love Aunt Alley.

Question: How many thousand dollars did her millionaire aunt left Gertie?

Riddler
12-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Any clues for me ilw ? :)

ilw
12-05-2003, 02:53 PM
theres something linking all the capitalised words.

ang3968
12-05-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by dwightfry@5 December 2003 - 03:27
That&#39;s tough.

I noticed that it says there are 7 horses, but only 6 are named and only 6 are described by there color. Is that a mistake...or a hint/clue?

I think this is how it all works out.

(Black #1) - ROCKY,(AGE?),Can Enter/Not going to/Too old
(Black #2) - SUNNY,(AGE?), Can enter/Won Derby last yr
(Black #3) - BEAUTY, 1.5 yrs old, Can&#39;t enter
(Brown #1) - BILLY, 3 yrs old, Can enter/Couldn&#39;t last year
(Brown #2) - LUCKY, 1.5 yrs old, Can&#39;t enter
(White #1) - SNOWY,(AGE?), Can Enter

..............................................ROCKY
....................................../...........|............&#092;
.............................. SUNNY.....BILLY......SNOWY
.............................../..................................&#092;
..........................BEAUTY....................... LUCKY

So....My guess is that Rocky lost last year, It was a pity because he is getting old.
hey all...

and good try dwightfry but it wasn&#39;t Rocky.... :)

ilw... &#036;16,000 ???

Riddler
12-05-2003, 02:57 PM
:lol: I was just going to say you can add a G to all the words and.......well, good work Ang. :D

ang3968
12-05-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Riddler@6 December 2003 - 00:57
:lol: I was just going to say you can add a G to all the words and.......well, good work Ang. :D
thanx matee.... :)

Riddler
12-05-2003, 03:03 PM
My pleasure....I&#39;ll have to give your riddle a think while the Treasure Hunt is on. ;)

ang3968
12-05-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Riddler@6 December 2003 - 01:03
My pleasure....I&#39;ll have to give your riddle a think while the Treasure Hunt is on. ;)
ooo... I got all tingly then.....

must be the thought of the 2nd treasure hunt&#33;&#33;

Riddler
12-05-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by ang3968+5 December 2003 - 08:11--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ang3968 @ 5 December 2003 - 08:11)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Riddler@6 December 2003 - 01:03
ooo... I got all tingly then.....

must be the thought of the 2nd treasure hunt&#33;&#33;

:D [/b][/quote]
I like a girl who gets easily tingled. :P

Ahem....uh....*cough*...Very well Mrs. Ang, about your riddle then.... :lol:

ilw
12-05-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by ang3968@5 December 2003 - 14:54
ilw... &#036;16,000 ???

ilw
12-05-2003, 03:28 PM
oops double post :">
havent&#39; done that in a while

dwightfry
12-05-2003, 03:30 PM
How did you get 16,000? I NEED to know&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :P

Riddler
12-05-2003, 03:30 PM
Methinks someone wants another riddle.......hmmmm ?

It was puzzle time down the Pig and Bucket. "It&#39;s a real digital dilemma," remarked Bert as he supped his ale. Alf had the self-satisfied smile, he always wore when he was confident he had Bert over a barrel. Alf had drawn the equation below on card and given Bert the digits 1-6. Bert had to put two digits on each line, using each digit once and once only, to make a valid equation.

____ + ____ = ____

Using only the six digits and no further symbols, in how many ways can it be done? ...

scribblec
12-05-2003, 03:40 PM
as i enter my first post in the riddle world :D
and its wrong :( :angry:

ang3968
12-05-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by dwightfry@6 December 2003 - 01:30
How did you get 16,000? I NEED to know&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :P
16 Gs....&#036;16,000.....a G is a thousand dollars.

Each word in the note may be preceded by a G.
Grain Griddle Gold Gastronomy Ghost Gallows Gable Glass Gentry Gin Gown Gland Gestate Glove Gaunt Galley.

oh that and the fact I have seen this one before and remembered... :P

ilw
12-05-2003, 03:42 PM
Is it possible at all?

TheDave
12-05-2003, 03:44 PM
closest i can get is 21+34=55

scribblec
12-05-2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by TheDave@5 December 2003 - 15:44
closest i can get is 21+34=55
i got 41 + 25 = 66

35 + 41 = 76 :P

Riddler
12-05-2003, 03:50 PM
@ ilw...it is.

@ scribblec.......each digit from 1 to 6 only once each

ilw
12-05-2003, 03:54 PM
If the sum of the answer&#39;s digits is odd, then the digits on the other side add up even. Likewise if answers even the others add up odd. so it won&#39;t work, at best your one off

Edit: ok so that must be wrong, or is there trickery afoot?

Riddler
12-05-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by ilw@5 December 2003 - 08:54
If the sum of the answer&#39;s digits is odd, then the digits on the other side add up even. Likewise if answers even the others add up odd. so it won&#39;t work, at best your one off

(I think?) Or is there trickery afoot?
....afoot, ahand, and anelbow. :D

HINT;
There&#39;s another way to make a number from two digits using no other symbols, apart from side by side. ;)

dwightfry
12-05-2003, 04:12 PM
I give up on the horse one :(

ang3968
12-05-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by dwightfry@6 December 2003 - 02:12
I give up on the horse one :(
it is a hard one dwightfry... :(

want the answer??

dwightfry
12-05-2003, 04:28 PM
yeah

Riddler
12-05-2003, 04:35 PM
:o NOOOOOOOO &#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

* ok then * :P

ang3968
12-05-2003, 04:38 PM
okies....

SNOWY, a 4 year old male white horse lost last year.

The Derby is for three year old horses. Therefore only a current four year old horse could have lost last year.

SNOWY is the only horse which could have been three last year (four this year).

The farm is preparing three of the seven horses for this years Derby.....there must therefore be at least three 3-year old horses among the seven. BILLY is 3-years old.....necessarily, BEAUTY and her cousin LUCKY must be 3 years old both. ( they are of the same age)......
Beauty&#39;s mum could not be three because she won in the Derby before. The oldest black is even older than BEAUTY&#39;s mum.
BEAUTY&#39;s aunt could not be three......... if she were, then SNOWY must also be three to complete the three entries this year. This would mean that no horse would be four years old as BEAUTY and LUCKY would be one and a half years old.

does that make sense ????

:huh:

I think I&#39;ve lost the plot now with all that typing.... :blink:

edit:.... left a bit of the explanation out ... realised when I read it back... d&#39;oh

ilw
12-05-2003, 04:38 PM
Can the horses be too old to enter or not be prepared to enter despite being old enough? if not its gotta be the oldest black stallion, if they can be too old or chosen not to enter then it must be the horse of unknown colour.
The name I dunno
Edit: doh. i took it to mean that they had to be 3 or older damn

dwightfry
12-05-2003, 04:42 PM
1^2 + 4 ^ 3= 65

(The &#39;^&#39; aren&#39;t needed if you write it out)

Riddler
12-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by ang3968@5 December 2003 - 09:38
okies....

SNOWY, a 4 year old male white horse lost last year.

The Derby is for three year old horses. Therefore only a current four year old horse could have lost last year.

SNOWY is the only horse which could have been three last year (four this year).

The farm is preparing three of the seven horses for this years Derby.....there must therefore be at least three 3-year old horses among the seven. BILLY is 3-years old.....necessarily, BEAUTY and her cousin LUCKY must be 3 years old both. ( they are of the same age)......
Beauty&#39;s mum could not be three because she won in the Derby before. The oldest black is even older than BEAUTY&#39;s mum.
BEAUTY&#39;s aunt could not be three......... if she were, then SNOWY must also be three to complete the three entries this year. This would mean that no horse would be four years old as BEAUTY and LUCKY would be one and a half years old.

does that make sense ????

:huh:

I think I&#39;ve lost the plot now with all that typing.... :blink:

edit:.... left a bit of the explanation out ... realised when I read it back... d&#39;oh
I was just gonna say that &#33;

:rolleyes: :P

@ dwightfry........Bravo &#33;&#33; :D

scribblec
12-05-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by dwightfry@5 December 2003 - 16:42
1^2 + 4 ^ 3= 65

(The &#39;^&#39; aren&#39;t needed if you write it out)
wtf???
that still equal 55

dwightfry
12-05-2003, 05:57 PM
wtf???
that still equal 55

^ = to the power of

1^2 = 1 X 1 = 1

4^3 = 4 X 4 X 4 = 64

1 + 64 = 65

ilw
12-05-2003, 05:58 PM
4^3 = 64 not 54 :P

lynx
12-17-2003, 01:28 AM
Bump&#33;

Anyone seen Riddler recently?

Riddler
12-17-2003, 03:53 PM
Yeah I seen him the other day looking all dishevelled and confused...looked like he hadn&#39;t slept for weeks. He kept muttering to himself " If it takes a bale and a half of cotton to make a smoking jacket for an elephant, how long will it take a spider with a wooden leg to bore through an onion? I don&#39;t get it....I just don&#39;t get it....AAAAARRRRRGH &#33; "
Maybe one of you can explain the answer for me and I&#39;ll put his mind at ease....poor bugger. :unsure:

:D * Hiya five-oh &#33; how ya doin&#39; ? *

lynx
12-17-2003, 06:41 PM
About seven feet? :rolleyes:

Thought you&#39;d disappeared with Musleman

bigboab
12-17-2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Riddler@17 December 2003 - 15:53
Yeah I seen him the other day looking all dishevelled and confused...looked like he hadn&#39;t slept for weeks. He kept muttering to himself " If it takes a bale and a half of cotton to make a smoking jacket for an elephant, how long will it take a spider with a wooden leg to bore through an onion? I don&#39;t get it....I just don&#39;t get it....AAAAARRRRRGH &#33; "
Maybe one of you can explain the answer for me and I&#39;ll put his mind at ease....poor bugger. :unsure:

:D * Hiya five-oh &#33; how ya doin&#39; ? *
Ignore the bit about the elephant Riddler, that is just there to confuse you. Concentrate on the spider with the wooden leg, boring through the onion.

I will give you a couple of days to solve the second part.

lynx
12-18-2003, 04:35 PM
Just a quick one till Riddler recovers from eating spider infested onions.

At a local bar, three friends, Mr. Green, Mr. Red and Mr. Blue, were having a drink. One man was wearing a red suit; one a green suit; and the other a blue suit.

"Have you noticed," said the man the blue suit, "that although our suits have colours corresponding to our names, not one of us is wearing a suit that matches our own names?"

Mr. Red looked at the other two and said, "You&#39;re absolutely correct."

What colour suit is each man wearing?

Riddler
12-18-2003, 05:11 PM
Something tells me it isn&#39;t this easy, but..............

Mr. Red is wearing a blue suit.
Mr. Green is wearing a red suit.
Mr. Blue is wearing a green suit.

or.........An orange because motorcycles don&#39;t have doors.http://www.emotipad.com/emoticons/Eye%20Spin.gif

http://www.emotipad.com/emoticons/Felix.gif * I just don&#39;t get it.....AAAAAAAH * :blink:

;)

oldmancan
12-18-2003, 05:25 PM
I think Mr. Red is in a green suit. So Mr. Blue would be in a red suit and Mr. Green is in the blue suit.

cheers omc

edit: spelling

lynx
12-18-2003, 05:58 PM
Sorry, Riddler, that&#39;s not it.

omc - spot on.

Mr Red replies to the man in the blue suit, so he can&#39;t be wearing it himself. And we know that Mr Blue can&#39;t be wearing the blue suit, so it must be Mr Green.
Mr Red can&#39;t wear the red suit, so he must be wearing the green one, which leaves the red suit being worn by Mr Blue.

Bill bets Craig &#036;100 that he can predict the score of the hockey game before it starts. Craig agrees, but loses the bet. Why did Craig lose the bet?

titey
12-18-2003, 06:05 PM
:rolleyes: The score is always 0-0 before a game starts ain&#39;t it?

DanB
12-18-2003, 06:09 PM
Because Bill predicted it correctly? <_<

titey
12-18-2003, 06:11 PM
.http://members.shaw.ca/wenpigsfly/smileys/doh.gif

lynx
12-18-2003, 06:17 PM
Titey http://members.shaw.ca/wenpigsfly/smileys/yes.gifhttp://members.shaw.ca/wenpigsfly/smileys/clap.gif

Danbhttp://members.shaw.ca/wenpigsfly/smileys/no.gifhttp://members.shaw.ca/wenpigsfly/smileys/duh.gif

DanB
12-18-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by lynx@18 December 2003 - 19:17
Danbhttp://members.shaw.ca/wenpigsfly/smileys/no.gifhttp://members.shaw.ca/wenpigsfly/smileys/duh.gif
That&#39;s not nice :o

oldmancan
12-18-2003, 06:31 PM
OK this may have been done, but I didn&#39;t see it. (And my head hurts too much to search for it :x).

What walks on four, in the morning; two, at noon; and three, in the evening?

Bonus points for the source of this oldie.

cheers omc

lynx
12-18-2003, 06:33 PM
Man.

Crawls on all fours when an infant.
Walks upright later in life.
Needs a stick when old.

Edit: Isn&#39;t it Shakespeare?

oldmancan
12-18-2003, 06:38 PM
:beerchug: Lynx

No bonus points though. Homer, the Iliad.

btw was that in any of Rid&#39;s guantlets?

peace omc

lynx
12-18-2003, 06:40 PM
I heard it a long time ago.
I don&#39;t remember seeing it on here, but I can&#39;t say I&#39;ve seen them all.

lynx
12-18-2003, 09:09 PM
I saw this and thought of you, omc.

An old man wanted to leave all of his money to one of his three sons, but he didn&#39;t know which one he should give it to. He gave each of them a few coins and told them to buy something that would be able to fill their living room.
The first son bought straw, but there was not enough to fill the room.
The second bought some sticks, but they still did not fill the room.
The third son bought two things that filled the room, so he obtained his father&#39;s fortune. What were the two things that the son bought?

I think it&#39;s been done before, but I like it anyway.

Snee
12-18-2003, 09:25 PM
With matches and oil, I guess he could fill the room with fire, or smoke.

bigboab
12-18-2003, 09:28 PM
Two foam fire extinquishers?

TheDave
12-18-2003, 09:29 PM
a torch and some batteries and filled it with light

lynx
12-18-2003, 09:38 PM
I think that&#39;s a draw between SnnY and TheDave.

The actual answer was a candle and a box of matches, light the candle and fill the room with light.

oldmancan
12-18-2003, 09:49 PM
Hey ya Grumpy Old Fart, I&#39;d be thinking the Dave had it. Although he kinda updated it with the electricity bit.

I was on the gaseous phase thing, steam, smoke or scent.

@Lynx I can&#39;t imagine giving my sons any more money, let alone leaving all my wealth to them. Your not the only old grump, eh?

peace omc

Snee
12-18-2003, 09:52 PM
I daresay all answers were correct, but Dave&#39;s was the one closest to the original answer. Sorry I posted on yer riddle OMC, I didn&#39;t notice it was especially for you. :)

oldmancan
12-18-2003, 10:14 PM
SnnY, no worries mate. Lynx just said that he saw that riddle and thought of me. I don&#39;t think it was only for me. But I certainly appreciate the consideration.

:beerchug: A round for the house&#33;&#33;

@TheDave, your up dude.

peace omc

Gemby!
12-18-2003, 10:19 PM
anymore - i got a couple rite so far - shame i have only got round to reading them now though :P

oldmancan
12-19-2003, 12:12 AM
Here&#39;s one for ya gemby&#33;

What do we often catch yet never see?

Hint, I was thinking of you and J&#39;Pol when I posted. Me runs for cover. Actually goes for a walk to the store. Back in an hour or so.

peace omc

oldmancan
12-19-2003, 01:38 AM
Back from walk.

Nice new hat TheDave.

thewizeard
03-02-2004, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by oldmancan@19 December 2003 - 00:12
Here&#39;s one for ya gemby&#33;

What do we often catch yet never see?

Hint, I was thinking of you and J&#39;Pol when I posted. Me runs for cover. Actually goes for a walk to the store. Back in an hour or so.

peace omc
a cold... :lol:

oldmancan
03-03-2004, 05:07 AM
True nigel123, but not the answer. Check the clue. I mean how would you catch a cold from J&#39;Pol? He always updates his virus protection so you should be safe...

I thought maybe Riddler was back when I saw this thread get bumped.

cheers omc

thewizeard
03-03-2004, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by oldmancan@3 March 2004 - 05:07

I thought maybe Riddler was back when I saw this thread get bumped.

cheers omc
Well I was hoping if I bumped it...he might just return.... :)

bigboab
03-03-2004, 09:57 AM
I thought Ridds was back too. :) Hope you are right Nigel and we lure him back. :) I hope this thread and the scavenger thread can be started again. It always gave us something to keeps us occupied and was fun. Heres hoping. :)

@ Gemby needs this to keep her mind off those ginger toms. :rolleyes: