PDA

View Full Version : Astraweb has stopped accepting Paypal as a form of payment

Belleaux
08-25-2017, 07:04 AM
So Astraweb has stopped accepting Paypal as a form of payment, I'm not sure how comfortable I feel about directly giving them my CC info. Anyone have any reliable newz site suggestions? I was paying $8 for unlimited.

fishtsticks
08-25-2017, 07:51 PM
I read about this on reddit, I guess paypal dropped them. they most likely will be dropping every usenet provider just because they can. They already did this kind of thing with most indexing sites.

everyone likes to bad mouth Astraweb because of it's poor level of service and that is true but no one points out that they never have raised there prices in 10 years. what I would do with them is buy a prepaid visa card and just register it and use that with them for that service. or just buy a block account for 50 dollars, that's the best deal going. reddit has a really good Usenet provider map so you should have two Usenet providers that are not on the same path, if you want to get any tv shows on a Sunday night, that is what I do.

but you may want Astraweb because it has no resellers.

CashStock
10-12-2017, 01:56 PM
Well, it is quite sad news. Because paypal was a secure payment system. But now giving my personal banking details is quite scary as it could be misused. They should come up with other options that are reliable and people have trust on it.

MacGyverSG1
01-30-2018, 10:15 AM
Unfortunately I stopped using AstraWeb because of the PayPal issue. I was thinking of trying PaySafeCard. Don't know if AstraWeb accepts it though. A prepaid MC or Visa is also an option.

Mustermann
01-31-2018, 03:56 PM
I dont think paypal is much more secure than CC. Why dont you try bitcoin instead? You could buy some here (as an example):

https://paxful.com/buy-bitcoin/paypal

Disclaimer: I dont know paxful, I just read here

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1337755.0

about it.

ACS651
03-20-2018, 10:42 AM
That is a shame because my Astraweb account has just run out of credit and was just about to make payment. I don;t really want to use cards connected to my main baking accounts and so wil think about looking in to a prepaid Mastercard or Visa. I don;t know anything about how they work. I presume you preload them with credit and then the card company takes some sort of percentage per transaction, is that right?

nQQ
04-08-2018, 10:04 AM
Well they accept payments via iDeal and Sofort so if its not giving astraweb your card details then that's an alternative to paypal

pr0n_lover
05-13-2018, 06:32 AM
yeh, it was shit when paypal stopped :(
but i have moved to tweaknews, seems ok so far, but still see DMCA corrupted on incomplete posts
:(

nQQ
05-13-2018, 03:14 PM
Do you get that with NZB from here?

MacGyverSG1
05-13-2018, 10:54 PM
There are companies hired by movie studios (TV and music) to remove (inform newsgroup providers) of any instance of their copyright work stored on NGs. The posters have made it harder for the companies to find stuff, but it has also made it harder for us folks to find it.

Gribley
05-14-2018, 03:41 PM
As a different provider free-usenet (not so free for real use) accepts crypto currencies and one of the backbones is Astraweb.... not sure Astraweb is a plus point as far as my experience goes but hey it is there. You get Astraweb, get to use virtual coins and have a few other providers thrown in as a bonus.

I use the above. However lets play the throw away card numbers game: I use a virtual card via Entropay. Has real money against it but you can throw it away (del) and create new numbers as needed, rather handy for the more monthly free trial type stuff but does also give you that extra one level buffer between you and a real card.

nQQ
05-15-2018, 06:49 AM
As a different provider free-usenet (not so free for real use) accepts crypto currencies and one of the backbones is Astraweb.... not sure Astraweb is a plus point as far as my experience goes but hey it is there. You get Astraweb, get to use virtual coins and have a few other providers thrown in as a bonus.

I use the above. However lets play the throw away card numbers game: I use a virtual card via Entropay. Has real money against it but you can throw it away (del) and create new numbers as needed, rather handy for the more monthly free trial type stuff but does also give you that extra one level buffer between you and a real card.

Probably better than paypal then. Never sure if the reason that other payment methods is wanted because they don't trust giving card details to the organisation or because of some level of anonymity. Surely paypal does not give the latter, and many ISP use 3rd party interactions for the card payments so never actually see your card number themselves.

Gribley
05-15-2018, 07:24 AM
Never sure if the reason that other payment methods is wanted because they don't trust giving card details to the organisation or because of some level of anonymity. Surely paypal does not give the latter, and many ISP use 3rd party interactions for the card payments so never actually see your card number themselves.

Good point, but Netflix for instance do at least verify the token if not the number directly to check if you`ve already had your free trial month. This is where the virtual card comes in handy in that you create a new number, move your small balance (I keep £10 on it) over and destroy the then "used" card. In combination with a disposable email address - unlimited Netflix albeit with the hassle of setting up each month ;)

nQQ
05-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Never sure if the reason that other payment methods is wanted because they don't trust giving card details to the organisation or because of some level of anonymity. Surely paypal does not give the latter, and many ISP use 3rd party interactions for the card payments so never actually see your card number themselves.

Good point, but Netflix for instance do at least verify the token if not the number directly to check if you`ve already had your free trial month. This is where the virtual card comes in handy in that you create a new number, move your small balance (I keep £10 on it) over and destroy the then "used" card. In combination with a disposable email address - unlimited Netflix albeit with the hassle of setting up each month ;)
I have a relative who pays and set my TV up to is their a/c so free for me too. The virtual card sounds intriguing, so long as they are accepted and you cater in the transfer fees and avoid dormancy.

Gribley
05-16-2018, 09:04 AM
...transfer fees and avoid dormancy.

With them so far I can xfer to wallet and back out to new card without cost. Not sure if they`ll steal my £10 if I don`t use the card enough but for them it is just interest in the bank so doubt that will be an issue but to be fair for £10 I couldn`t be arsed to read all the T&C

nQQ
05-17-2018, 06:20 PM
It would be interesting to see how CPA is handled, i.e. recurring subscription

Gribley
05-17-2018, 07:27 PM
It would be interesting to see how CPA is handled, i.e. recurring subscription

They`ll pre-auth for the first monthly amount just like 'flix I assume.... that is released (with them instantly, but others like Amazon seems to take the full week to auto rollback) and I move the funds off the card before it can ever be settled. Trash it and wait for the next month to start up anew with another Nada email and humerus name I can think to subscribe as :)

Guess it all depends on the merchant, may or may not work in your situation but does for 'flix and amazon UK (kindle unlimited, not tried prime myself)