PDA

View Full Version : Concealing IP address from VPN provider

Primrose
01-01-2018, 11:33 PM
Is there a way to conceal my real IP from my VPN provider when downloading movies using my bit torrent client?

Thank you

mariad
07-31-2018, 01:36 PM
use a vpn. But go for a Paid one.

Gribley
07-31-2018, 03:52 PM
ipvanish is working OK for me (drop of about 10% bandwidth). My little odroid torrent box works fine on it`s own as it should. My kodi RaspPi are also happy with VPNManager doing the deed (underlying just openvpn)

If you need a bit of help setting up Debian and Deluge then just ask.

anon
07-31-2018, 08:05 PM
Is there a way to conceal my real IP from my VPN provider when downloading movies using my bit torrent client?

If you don't trust your VPN provider with your real IP address, then why are you willing to trust them with your online activities, which is far more specific and potentially compromising?

smcewa11
08-03-2018, 10:52 PM
Double vpn is the only way. Or a seedbox/vpn combo which I suppose means there is more than one way. :)

Gregg987
08-08-2018, 02:50 AM
It's a good question, what if the $3 a month VPN provider is ultimately owned (or pwned) by an industry association or a trolling law firm. Or by common criminals. I'm not suggesting that anybody do it, but if everybody piggybacked, and rotated their usage often, the question might be less pointed. Incidentally, in the Wikipedia article "Legality of piggybacking" , most of the references are over a decade old ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_piggybacking ).

I remember the days when every time you connected to the Internet, you were assigned an IP more or less at random from the ISP's pool. To get a persistent IP, you needed to pay extra. Now, even if the modem is down for a day, the same IP comes back on reconnection.

Gribley
08-08-2018, 05:13 AM
I remember the days when every time you connected to the Internet, you were assigned an IP more or less at random from the ISP's pool. To get a persistent IP, you needed to pay extra. Now, even if the modem is down for a day, the same IP comes back on reconnection.

I was one of those that paid vast amounts to have a static IP through Demon.... was paying about £50 a month which 20 years ago was a lot for an 512K ADSL line. Life was good back in those days, piracy was not so mainstream and you didn`t need to hide anything. Now you have to take extreme measures just to order your online shop from ASDA without getting logged and recorded somewhere, that is progress for yer

anon
08-08-2018, 08:18 PM
Some interesting thoughts...

https://gist.github.com/joepie91/5a9909939e6ce7d09e29
https://www.goldenfrog.com/blog/myths-about-vpn-logging-and-anonymity (article written by a commercial provider, but they're transparent about it and it's factually accurate)
https://restoreprivacy.com/vpn-scams/

Ultimately using a VPN (or any other kind of encrypted "middleman") is not a magic elixir, it just shifts trust from your ISP to the people who run whatever service you use.

I remember when NAT routers were disallowed and you had to pay for an additional public IP for each thing you wanted to get online, how the times have changed :turned:

MacGyverSG1
08-10-2018, 10:21 AM
Just make sure you sign up to a VPN service that has no logging. Nothing is 100%, but we are little fish in a large pond. They really care about the people who have access to pre-retail material and distribute it. Plus the people who make money from providing access to that material.

anon
08-11-2018, 01:02 AM
Just make sure you sign up to a VPN service that has no logging.

Some of those "no logs" services were caught with their hands on the information they claimed not to keep. Or mentioning that they do log it in their fine print (not sure which is worse). Make sure to do your homework beforehand, and be aware that ultimately, you can't really know if they're lying or not.

MacGyverSG1
08-11-2018, 07:08 AM
Well, these days the truth doesn't matter and lying is accepted as normal.

mariad
09-24-2018, 01:58 PM
Say it truth or deception, the VPN industry is booming. Expected to grow to $36 Billion by 2022 (https://www.vpnranks.com/how-a-12-billion-vpn-industry-grew-to-36-billion-in-10-years/). That's Jaw-Dropping.

MacGyverSG1
09-24-2018, 09:53 PM
FEAR motivates people. Religion and republicans have been using that strategy forever.

As soon as laws are passed to force them to log everything, business will die.

laro_ye
09-25-2018, 03:00 AM
For daily activities and work, one thing that I care about is if my connection is secure (encrypted) or not. I subscribe to a vpn provider.

Even though, I downloaded Wireshark to perform a test, and I realized that when my computer had vpn router as gateway (either PPTP or L2TP with encryption ON), some of the information were clean plain texts.
After that, I started to use this vpn router as gateway only for my xbox.
Today I have installed the vpn software on my PC and phone (gateway is my ISP), and it truly encrypts. Wireshark doesn't show the information in this case.

Gribley
09-25-2018, 03:55 AM
...As soon as laws are passed to force them to log everything, business will die.

Or they all move to the Netherlands. It is like a pirate radio for the Millennials

I agree with your sentiment but I still use one just to avoid getting that letter through the post saying I`ve been spotted downloading 'Chas and Dave' or something. Unless C&D get back together (I think now dead) and trace me via VPN logs then I think I am safe and didn`t get that crappy be nice letter

anon
09-25-2018, 05:54 AM
Say it truth or deception, the VPN industry is booming. Expected to grow to $36 Billion by 2022 (https://www.vpnranks.com/how-a-12-billion-vpn-industry-grew-to-36-billion-in-10-years/). That's Jaw-Dropping.

I remember SecureIX and Hotspot Shield 0.937 and when finding even paid services was hard :coffee:

MacGyverSG1
09-25-2018, 08:11 AM
For daily activities and work, one thing that I care about is if my connection is secure (encrypted) or not. I subscribe to a vpn provider.

Even though, I downloaded Wireshark to perform a test, and I realized that when my computer had vpn router as gateway (either PPTP or L2TP with encryption ON), some of the information were clean plain texts.
Today I have installed the vpn software on my PC and phone (gateway is my ISP), and it truly encrypts. Wireshark doesn't show the information in this case.

Which router are you using?

megabyteme
09-25-2018, 08:07 PM

I remember SecureIX and Hotspot Shield 0.937 and when finding even paid services was hard :coffee:

I didn't look for a credible source to dispute that claim, but that site has 'dodgy af' written all over it.

laro_ye
09-25-2018, 09:10 PM

I have 2 linksys, and it happens to both of them. The firmware is tomato by shibby.

anon
09-25-2018, 10:17 PM
I didn't look for a credible source to dispute that claim, but that site has 'dodgy af' written all over it.

The only ranklist I'd trust is the one on TorrentFreak ;) Even then, they've been accused of bias towards the services that advertise there.

And of course, there's always the possibility of renting a server, then setting up a VPN yourself. That way you know what you have, what you'll get and what's logged, and the only "higher power" you're subject to is the hosting provider.

MacGyverSG1
09-25-2018, 11:36 PM
I have 2 linksys, and it happens to both of them. The firmware is tomato by shibby.

I'm thinking of getting a new ASUS router (RT-AC86U) and running NordVPN on it. No need to install third party firmware (even though I might do it anyway).

anon
09-26-2018, 01:12 AM
No need to install third party firmware (even though I might do it anyway).

Once you try OpenWrt and see it lets you do pretty much anything you want, you'll never want to use stock firmware again ;)

megabyteme
09-26-2018, 02:12 AM

Once you try OpenWrt and see it lets you do pretty much anything you want, you'll never want to use stock firmware again ;)

Considering I just read through the wiki for the software and didn't feel like a Jedi of Networking after doing so, what super powers does it have for those of us who are generally networking phobic?

laro_ye
09-26-2018, 04:03 AM

I'm thinking of getting a new ASUS router (RT-AC86U) and running NordVPN on it. No need to install third party firmware (even though I might do it anyway).

I am a StrongVPN subscriber.
I don't know if the lack of encryption is because of tomato's.
I will take a look on this OpenWrt.

MacGyverSG1
09-26-2018, 04:12 AM

I've been reading about Asuswrt-Merlin custom firmwares. For most people the stock firmware is perfectly fine. All the extra features added to the custom firmware are seldom used by most. Some of the tweaks do make the Asus firmware even better. People like megabyteme should stay away from the custom firmwares. Keep it simple. ;)

megabyteme
09-26-2018, 11:07 AM
People like megabyteme should stay away from the custom firmwares. Keep it simple. ;) :lol::mad3:

Gribley
09-26-2018, 12:12 PM

Yep as he says. Why settle for less

laro_ye
09-26-2018, 01:31 PM

Do we need a programmer to set things right in this firmware, or it has also a user-friendly interface, which can do many of things too?
Does it really encrypt L2TP packages? I'm asking because I believed that until I installed wireshark.
I'm not sure if StrongVPN works in this firmware, tough.

Gribley
09-26-2018, 03:07 PM
, or it has also a user-friendly interface

That is why LUCI is there... it is more fun to jump into things but a UI is good too. Not sure what you expect from WS. Great program used it myself for various projects, it is what it is.

laro_ye
09-26-2018, 10:11 PM
, or it has also a user-friendly interface

That is why LUCI is there... it is more fun to jump into things but a UI is good too. Not sure what you expect from WS. Great program used it myself for various projects, it is what it is.

Thanks for the info. I'm not a skilled programmer. :lol:
It took me some time to do a simple batch file that do on windows a "touch" linux command, to adjust the timestamp.
:cheers:

Gribley
09-27-2018, 05:42 AM
I do program but Linux based systems are like going back to the stone age of DOS.... sad people with beards and sandals think it good to type instead of click.

Just remember opkg update and opkg list-upgradable. And there was a problem with apt-get? who knows, bloody linux hippy arse people.

laro_ye
09-27-2018, 12:52 PM
I do program but Linux based systems are like going back to the stone age of DOS.... sad people with beards and sandals think it good to type instead of click.

Just remember opkg update and opkg list-upgradable. And there was a problem with apt-get? who knows, bloody linux hippy arse people.

True.
I'm a "keep it simple" kind of guy. May be an excuse for my lack of programming though :lol:

mariad
09-27-2018, 02:15 PM
Just a suggestion for all the users looking forward to getting a VPN service to follow these 6 ways to choose a VPN (https://www.vpnranks.com/how-to-choose-a-vpn-service/).

Gribley
09-27-2018, 02:42 PM
It should not be on encryption, just go with anyone. Everyone uses AES256. Is serpent better yes but then so is two fish.... you really need to read the white papers on this stuff if you are interested. P-box, s-box join the group.

anon
09-28-2018, 02:26 AM
Considering I just read through the wiki for the software and didn't feel like a Jedi of Networking after doing so, what super powers does it have for those of us who are generally networking phobic?

Pretty much all of them :P

Run programs on your router, including VPN, torrent clients and servers. Remap ports to create isolated networks or turn the WAN port into an additional LAN. Reprogram LEDs, buttons and sliders to act however you want. Make it work as a range extender without spending extra money on an actual range extender (which is essentially a crippled router with reduced features sold at a premium). Use any kind of USB device, including storage, modems, printers, cameras, sound cards, whatever. And much, much more... almost anything networking related or doable by a "real" computer, and almost any device that has Linux support, you can do and use with OpenWrt. Not to mention the security benefits of running firmware that is reviewed, tested and updated regularly, instead of some stock image where you don't know what's inside or how old it is.

The only downsides are that not all routers are compatible (though most are) and it has a learning curve. You only get minimum functionality out of the box, and have to be willing to spend some time making things work. But it's worth it.

MacGyverSG1
09-28-2018, 03:18 AM

Run programs on your router, including VPN, torrent clients and servers. Remap ports to create isolated networks or turn the WAN port into an additional LAN. Reprogram LEDs, buttons and sliders to act however you want. Make it work as a range extender without spending extra money on an actual range extender (which is essentially a crippled router with reduced features sold at a premium). Use any kind of USB device, including storage, modems, printers, cameras, sound cards, whatever. And much, much more... almost anything networking related or doable by a "real" computer, and almost any device that has Linux support, you can do and use with OpenWrt. Not to mention the security benefits of running firmware that is reviewed, tested and updated regularly, instead of some stock image where you don't know what's inside or how old it is.

The only downsides are that not all routers are compatible (though most are) and it has a learning curve. You only get minimum functionality out of the box, and have to be willing to spend some time making things work. But it's worth it.

All great things, but as I said before, very few people will ever use those features. Most people will just screw things up playing around with all those new settings available. Then they will be asking you a ton of questions to fix it. :P

laro_ye
09-28-2018, 04:04 AM

All great things, but as I said before, very few people will ever use those features. Most people will just screw things up playing around with all those new settings available. Then they will be asking you a ton of questions to fix it. :P

I'm very found of user-friendly interfaces because my way of setting parameters related to routers and network is entropic... The more I click, the more it stinks. :lol:

anon
09-29-2018, 12:41 AM
Most people will just screw things up playing around with all those new settings available.

Which is a good way to learn! I don't think what you're saying is invalid, though. Sometimes not having to think too much is an advantage :)

Oh, and there is also a third way: Gargoyle. It attempts to combine the usability of stock firmware with the power of OpenWrt, and I would say it's very much successful.

laro_ye
09-29-2018, 11:53 PM
Which is a good way to learn! I don't think what you're saying is invalid, though. Sometimes not having to think too much is an advantage :)

Agreed. In terms of learning, there are some technical skills needed that a wrong setting can compromise...

Gribley
09-30-2018, 03:56 AM
Oh, and there is also a third way: Gargoyle.

Never heard of that one, year out of date compared to main branch of OpenWRT but interesting alternative if your router supports I guess

Tokeman
10-06-2018, 06:22 PM
I just use NORD. point and click. Vast server types and locations. No much of a speed drop but always expect some.
Only had to change one setting to get it working better which is nice.
You can also set it up manually (without app) for those who prefer.
They give great (and I mean great) deals a few times a year. Think my subscription is like 5 years...

MacGyverSG1
10-08-2018, 04:17 PM
I want to use Nord on a router so every device is protected. But it seems speed is an issue if the router can't handle it. A PC is much more powerful than a router, to handle VPN.

Tokeman
10-10-2018, 01:11 AM
My router had no issues as the vpn point, but its a beast cause I have 8 people here
I still just use it on demand on my pc though, mostly cause I hate slowdowns at all where avoidable. I don't care much about site tracking etc.
Changed Nord from UDP to TCP and over doubled my speeds as they were disappointing to say the least

I don't know how viable it is anymore but I used to use a PC as a router years back, fun project. If you are wired; an older PC with 2 nics would probably handle household VPN just fine and be your new router (you'd still need a modem).

anon
10-10-2018, 02:39 AM
Changed Nord from UDP to TCP and over doubled my speeds as they were disappointing to say the least

Are you sure it wasn't the other way around? Encapsulating TCP-based traffic (such as most BitTorrent) over a TCP tunnel generally results in reduced performance, since certain protocol mechanisms overlap with each other.

http://sites.inka.de/~W1011/devel/tcp-tcp.html

Then again, if you're sharing the connection with so many others, it could be that UDP transfers get deprioritized along the way and switching protocols merely results in, uh, less worse results.

Also, I agree that building your own router can be pretty fun :happy:

james_bond_rulez
10-21-2018, 01:11 AM
I only use nordvpn when i need to, like when i am doing torrents or some other stuff i don't want logged, they offer 3 day trial, no banking info needed

https://free.nordvpn.com

all you need is a gmail account and just register with the + sign after ur username for multiple registrations. works perfect for me

Also if you are on a rooted android, get expressvpn app, they give you 7 day trial, great service, and if u dont want them to have ur banking details just change your device id and get free trial again

all of above methods i've tried and works, use vpn to protect urself while not giving them ur banking info

btw great to be back!

Tokeman
10-21-2018, 02:13 AM
I only use nordvpn when i need to, like when i am doing torrents or some other stuff i don't want logged, they offer 3 day trial, no banking info needed

https://free.nordvpn.com

all you need is a gmail account and just register with the + sign after ur username for multiple registrations. works perfect for me

Also if you are on a rooted android, get expressvpn app, they give you 7 day trial, great service, and if u dont want them to have ur banking details just change your device id and get free trial again

all of above methods i've tried and works, use vpn to protect urself while not giving them ur banking info

btw great to be back!

Free trials are great. But seriously I got 5 years for a stupid low price, low 2 digits... Go for it if you use it!

james_bond_rulez
10-21-2018, 03:04 AM
Tokeman I would if i use them all the time, but fact is I only use it when needed and accounts for just a few hours a month. not really worth it if i purchase for the whole month so...

i guess the real issue here is for the people who aren't power users and want to save their banking details from the vpn vendors. this would be a great way to use vpn

Tokeman
10-21-2018, 03:55 PM
Tokeman I would if i use them all the time, but fact is I only use it when needed and accounts for just a few hours a month. not really worth it if i purchase for the whole month so...

i guess the real issue here is for the people who aren't power users and want to save their banking details from the vpn vendors. this would be a great way to use vpn

Use another proxy to sign up and use a gift card?

Anonymity to vendors is easy enough. But more options are always useful so thanks!

james_bond_rulez
10-22-2018, 12:12 PM
there is no need to sign up using a proxy if u don't trust the vpn vendor with ur preliminary data

Tokeman
10-22-2018, 06:08 PM
What if I want to conceal from my ISP that I'm going to sign up for proxy service B so I use free proxy A to do the signup.
Yea, stupid paranoid.

anon
10-22-2018, 08:06 PM
What if I want to conceal from my ISP that I'm going to sign up for proxy service B so I use free proxy A to do the signup.
Yea, stupid paranoid.

They will find out either way when you connect, the OpenVPN protocol is different from regular TLS and they can be readily distinguished by a passive eavesdropper, even if the traffic is encrypted and they can't know what you're transferring. Sometimes metadata can be almost as revealing as actual data.

Additionally, you have to trust that the people running the proxy you used to reregister are not logging your details for nefarious purposes...

james_bond_rulez
12-02-2018, 04:38 PM
an update to nord free trial, well they no longer offer it without a pay method first

so the android hack with express vpn still works for me...

cheers