PDA

View Full Version : Are there types of scrambled NZB

nQQ
04-21-2018, 07:54 AM
I'm used to NZB that allow posting of scrambled rar file names e.g. qwertyuiop.r01 , qwertyuiop.r02 ... etc that will then contain a file like qwertyuiop.mkv but increasingly there does seem to be NZB here that when you load into alt.binz (my reader of choice) seem to have nonsensical files e.g. jhcg%jc£d , %gftjsl*&%bdi76an^gd, etc. If I proceed to grab them I get the same files but unsure what then to do.

I had assumed that that the files downloaded from my newsserver had been corrupted (maybe partial takedown) but it seems the filenames in the NZB file are similarly named, so there seems to be no obvious way to recompile them. Am I missing something, do they require a particular newsreader or is there a web page somewhere with more info.

praxis
04-21-2018, 08:05 AM
Adding the extension .par2 to the smallest file then running it works for me.

nQQ
04-21-2018, 08:18 AM
Adding the extension .par2 to the smallest file then running it works for me.
WOW that works - no idea why I didn't think of that! The Par2 then simply renames them to the expected rar files to extract, oh happy days :)

Thanks praxis

perky55
08-04-2018, 01:48 PM
Glad I found this post. Good info.

sam_ron
11-07-2018, 12:40 PM
Is there something more to it than this? I've done this rename trick and get the rar files, but they still won't open.

Tokeman
11-07-2018, 04:13 PM
Well, why not? Do you get an error or something?
Have you tried alternate extraction programs?

sam_ron
11-07-2018, 05:57 PM
Sure, says 'cannot open <filexxx.part01.rar> as archive. Using 7-zip, will trying another extraction program.

Gribley
11-07-2018, 06:54 PM
You are making life more difficult than needed. Get SAB or Newsbin (my pref) and you click on a single item which will download and unrar/repair via PAR etc. I find SAB doesn`t fix my final filenames which is an arse but newsbin seems to work it out OK (probably just based on the nzb filename but it works)

MacGyverSG1
11-09-2018, 03:17 PM
I don't like using programs that will download, repair (if necessary), and extract (then delete RARs when done). Sometimes they screw things up. Then I have to redownload files. I like to do each step manually. No f*ckups that way. An extracting problem might be an issue will using an old version of WinRAR or 7-zip.

nQQ
11-09-2018, 06:03 PM
or set the program to not delete archives ...

Tokeman
11-09-2018, 07:39 PM
I don't like using programs that will download, repair (if necessary), and extract (then delete RARs when done). Sometimes they screw things up. Then I have to redownload files. I like to do each step manually. No f*ckups that way. An extracting problem might be an issue will using an old version of WinRAR or 7-zip.
Or too new as well, not just old

If the archive is old there could be an issue. I've had issues with some newer versions of tools working with older archives.

MacGyverSG1
11-10-2018, 12:10 PM
Or too new as well, not just old

If the archive is old there could be an issue. I've had issues with some newer versions of tools working with older archives.

I've never had that issue (WinRAR).

sam_ron
11-16-2018, 07:49 PM
Sorry for late reply, switching to the latest version of 7-zip indeed solve my problem. Thanks!

MacGyverSG1
11-21-2018, 05:28 PM
Sorry for late reply, switching to the latest version of 7-zip indeed solve my problem. Thanks!

That's usually how it goes. When WinRAR makes an update, the other programs have to update themselves also. Luckily WinRAR doesn't make many updates that cause that issue too often.

or set the program to not delete archives ...

I like programs that don't have that option. When I want them deleted, I'll do it. Settings sometimes get reset with an update. Default should be to leave files alone. I don't like surprises.

nntpbot
11-27-2018, 10:14 AM

Completely agree with you. So many times grabbers have screwed my downloads. Do it all by hand with multipar.