PDA

View Full Version : Is the online piracy community dead?

renhoek93
06-08-2018, 05:59 AM
With sites like Bitsnoop Extratorrents Kickass Torrents and many others gone and TPB not doing much these days i've been wondering if the piracy community is dying out what do you guys think??.

Intr4ns1t
06-08-2018, 05:00 PM
With the affordability and accessibility of streaming pretty much everything, it's not as necessary as it used to be, so people have taken the easy route. It's easier to just pay a small monthly fee than constantly worrying about buffer and ratio on your sites and running your pc 24/7.

dion09529
06-08-2018, 09:05 PM
You sound just like my grandma. Only she thinks that Netflix is the discovery of the milenium.

anon
06-08-2018, 10:53 PM
TPB not doing much these days

TPB is still alive through and despite everything, what else do they have to "do"?

As for the titular question, I can't deny interest has declined over the years for the reasons Intr4ns1t mentioned, but it's not dead by any stretch of the imagination ;)

renhoek93
06-11-2018, 11:58 AM
TPB not doing much these days

TPB is still alive through and despite everything, what else do they have to "do"?

As for the titular question, I can't deny interest has declined over the years for the reasons Intr4ns1t mentioned, but it's not dead by any stretch of the imagination ;)

TPB used to be very active a few years ago before the 2014 raid with the promo bay and changing their doodle for political and social events regarding copyright and piracy i also noticed that the legal threats section that they used to have on the site was removed. And you're right that it's technically not completely dead nor will it ever be i did notice a few days ago that Kickass Torrents is back there is also still Seedpeer and a handful of others as well.

With the affordability and accessibility of streaming pretty much everything, it's not as necessary as it used to be, so people have taken the easy route. It's easier to just pay a small monthly fee than constantly worrying about buffer and ratio on your sites and running your pc 24/7.

Services like Netflix Hulu Amazon and so on may please some people but in the end they don't actually have everything and a lot of the time a lot of content on services like Amazon or say Spotify certain songs or movies and tv shows are region locked so the more they keep pissing consumers off the more piracy will happen. However there will be those people who do switch and are comfy with it.

Gribley
06-11-2018, 03:10 PM
Not dead, just reduced to a slightly more amateur nature I`ve observed. Things still come out around the release times but are so much worse (quality wise) than the old days... maven etc. These are the times we live in with digital water marks making it so traceable back to the source.

Things go up 'n' down and the last 5 years have been on the down slope so it only really has one way to go after that :) we can but hope.

IdolEyes787
06-13-2018, 06:27 PM
I think people on who spend exorbitant amounts of their time and money constantly creating and uploading stuff to trackers for no monetary reward have some sort of mental problem. In other words, J-Dye would probably be really good at it.

anon
06-13-2018, 10:42 PM
I think people on who spend exorbitant amounts of their time and money constantly creating and uploading stuff to trackers for no monetary reward have some sort of mental problem.

I download some of that stuff sometimes... so no complaints at all.

soulreaper
06-15-2018, 02:14 AM
streaming did this. plus sites like warez-bb can get you 1080p 1-3 gb movies which is good enough quality if you dont want to keep a ratio on ptp. Torrents really only serve as a market for rare stuff which you can't get via streaming services.

koolyt
06-21-2018, 09:44 PM
if you are into quality, nothing compares to specialized trackers. all the movie and music streaming services serve up mediocre quality files. additionally none of them have a truly expansive collection of media. they're not bad, but until you can find basically anything in one place, it'll be worthwhile for fans of music or movies to collect files offline.

that said, i certainly think things are moving in the right direction and hopefully 10 or 15 years from now there'll be basically one place to stream anything you want, or one for each major media category, and at real quality. there's only so much information contained on film or on a vinyl record, while bandwidth will continue to march ahead. pretty soon it'll be easy for people with an average internet connection to stream a 25gb video file that's 1.5 hours long.

mazriel
08-26-2018, 07:34 PM
Yeah, streaming and subscriptions have taken a lot of the need away. The likes of Office and the Adobe Creative Suite are a recurring payment - seems to be the way a lot of services are going now. Meals and razors to your door each week/month. It's kinda crazy if you think about it for a wee while.

Saying that, I've always enjoyed the sense of community from the early WinMX and Kazaa days with music, through to discovering torrents and laughing at a film that was watermarked Ellen DeGeneres haha. Wonder if she leaked it?

MacGyverSG1
08-27-2018, 12:38 AM
Sometimes famous people are given screeners to view to help promote a movie, and that screener gets borrowed or stolen. You have to guard those things with your life.

anon
08-27-2018, 11:38 PM
Remember the Wolverine 2009 workprint? Fox went apeshit over that leak, to the point of eventually busting the original uploader. They never got the real source, though...

yahoo3
08-30-2018, 12:14 AM
No its not , i was in a Russian DC++ room full of E-books few days ago :)

gemkat
08-31-2018, 09:41 PM
can we all please remember the scene has been goin for decades now in one form or another, just because its died for your doesn't mean its dead for everyone, perhaps it means u haven't really kept upto speed, personally things are fine and danday here for what I like to pursue.....

Tokeman
08-31-2018, 11:35 PM
The community is what we make of it. And that usually is derived from what we need. Change as always is the only constant

soulreaper
09-01-2018, 04:49 PM
torrents have become outdated so the hunt for torrent sites has died. You can get any show or movie on warez or a 10$ netflix subscription or if you have amazon prime is sufficient. For music there is streaming.

anon
09-02-2018, 03:13 AM
Streaming sux0rs, you need an Internet connection and Big Brother can know you had ABBA's greatest hits on repeat after watching Death Wish 3 :emo:

Tokeman
09-02-2018, 04:31 PM
Aside from a dedicated music site I'm doing just fine with torrents...

Evelyn
09-03-2018, 01:47 PM
yes. dead!

Tokeman
09-05-2018, 12:50 AM
So dead people keep posting

anon
09-05-2018, 01:41 AM

Tokeman
09-05-2018, 04:12 AM
God I hated that movie

anon
09-05-2018, 04:26 PM
Eh, I liked it. A lot of people say you can see the plot twist coming from a mile away, but it's easy to think that after you've already watched it.

IdolEyes787
09-05-2018, 05:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95ghQs5AmNk

I see fat people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENf5bUrJpgk

megabyteme
07-09-2019, 09:20 AM
Looks like meat's back on the menu, boys:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/stephenmcbride1/2019/07/08/netflixs-worst-nightmare-has-come-true/amp/

The cable companies and other media giants are looking to turn streaming back into cable subscriptions. That'll mean more people will return to piracy. Corporate greed is eternal...

Taz362
07-14-2019, 05:56 PM
I think a lot of file sharing sites remain because of the chat they allow.
It's not only a place to grab a download, but it's a meeting place for members to discuss varying topics.
With chat, it turns into a real community.

anon
07-15-2019, 12:18 AM
Pyracee phoareva :stuart:

H2PC
08-04-2019, 08:38 PM
Ahh. I remember the days of old when a 0day dump site on a T1 or a Private access FTP site was da bomb. IRC was booming and bandwidth was precious. Things have definately changed.

MacGyverSG1
08-05-2019, 08:03 AM
I haven't downloaded using FTP since 2003. The mid to late 90's was all FTP. Definitely the good old days.

Stehle
08-09-2019, 03:02 PM
Looks like meat's back on the menu, boys:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/stephenmcbride1/2019/07/08/netflixs-worst-nightmare-has-come-true/amp/

The cable companies and other media giants are looking to turn streaming back into cable subscriptions. That'll mean more people will return to piracy. Corporate greed is eternal...

I'm still alive, but barely*. :stars:

(They almost nabbed me with that "Area 51" shite.) :alien:

*I do like watching the rockets taking off and capsule & stages landing from my clandestine Florida complex. Mankind is rising up so well and fast! They most times don't even cover the launches live anymore, so yes we stream away. :alien:

megabyteme
08-09-2019, 03:43 PM
Good to see you, my friend!

For every Elon Musk, there's 1000 Kardashits. Technology is moving right along, but humanity seems to be struggling. We'll see how the 2020 vote goes...

Stehle
08-09-2019, 04:07 PM
Good to see you, my friend!

.... but humanity seems to be struggling. We'll see how the 2020 vote goes...

Indeed it definitely is in other respects and we will! ;)

(Yes, it's also good to see you too!) :alien:

dudfile
08-30-2019, 07:06 PM
Over the decades I have seen a lot. There was a moment back in about 2005 (or was it 7) when Suprnova got taken down ... that really made me think, and it has never been the same. The community is not dead, it has changed. I believe a lot of people are heading back to Usenet ... or never left in the first place.

Reddit is also a great place!

m7773d
08-30-2019, 08:06 PM
almost dead. thinking about canceling my newsgroup service.

anon
08-30-2019, 08:29 PM
Over the decades I have seen a lot. There was a moment back in about 2005 (or was it 7) when Suprnova got taken down ...

I remember Suprnova, I remember Mininova, I remember (more recently but still ten years ago) Scandinavian trackers going apeshit during the Pirate Bay trial.

And last but not least, I remember Demonoid, the loss of which is the biggest of this decade in the torrent world :(

jmonroe
08-31-2019, 02:59 PM
Everyone cut out cable due to high prices, thinking that Netflix and Amazon were the way to go. For awhile they were right. Now everyone wants their piece of the pie & we're going to have to pay monthly for ESPN, Disney, Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc...I think we will soon see another Golden Age of piracy. Media companies are going to kill the goose that laid the golden egg.

sam_ron
09-03-2019, 03:43 PM
It will be interesting to see if competition drives the overall prices down for the consumer or up as they need to cover off their viewing with many subscriptions. Of course competition is the way the market is supposed to work but sometimes the consumer benefits early on when their is a monopoly (until the prices go up). This is what we are seeing. Many of the people still downloading instead of streaming are old school and do it more for fun than because they have to (in this category)

cnotemd
09-03-2019, 04:00 PM
It ain't dead.....

TheBoz
09-26-2019, 01:09 PM
Streaming has it's share of problems the biggest fault, buffering. This is why I'll continue to use Usenet.

Gogomez50
10-03-2019, 07:56 AM
I would not say streaming is at fault here, there are ton of restrictions and bans towards a lot of content. Five to ten years ago, torrenting was not that risky, nobody honestly cared. Now, a lot of us have to hide behind proxies and vpns to even access certain webpages

richasis
12-10-2019, 11:28 AM
Pirates are a dying breed.