PDA

View Full Version : Android Multimedia Players

MacGyverSG1
06-14-2018, 04:59 AM
I have been using a Minix NEO U1. Once the firmware updates matured to a certain point the device has been great. The newer box, the NEO U9-H has better hardware, but it will be months before the firmware and software is stable like the U1. Looking to buy another box, but not sure what to get. Might just get another NEO U1, but the U9-H has features the U1 doesn't (Faster CPU/GPU, HDR, Android 6.0.1). I mostly play videos and music stored on network through box to TV. I don't care about streaming so much.

Anyone else here using the same boxes or similar? What are your experiences?

Gribley
06-14-2018, 05:43 AM
I stick with Pi2/Pi3 and an Odroid C2 which was an experiment in 4k viewing... all run LibreElec Leia (aka Kodi 18). CEC works on all my main TV`s (LG and Panasonic) so I have no need or want for additional remotes.

All of these run sweet and I upgrade at a whim, none of that waiting for offical firmware releases for "custom" boards like the ones you use.... still it is all choice, I like to have the control over my devices that using these devices allow but I guess there is a bit of extra work involved initially and does require CEC to really be viable (although I do run a couple off bluetooth airmouse remotes - a Samsung and plain old monitor in kitchen)

The Odroid now runs Debian Stretch as my torrent box, vpn and sabnzbd server along with minidnla (for music share around the house)... best thing I ever setup along with PiHole that is and a webserver I also have running off an SD card on an 'original' Pi :)

MacGyverSG1
06-16-2018, 03:58 AM
My other option would be a NUC. But, I was trying to keep the price small (which the Pi does, but more initial work than I have time for). I'm thinking about an NVIDIA Shield TV/Pro. More money than I'd like to spend, but would get the job done. Many people are getting the Minix NEO U9-H and scrapping Android and loading LibreElec (how many versions are there?). I hear it is great as a Kodi machine, which is really all I care about.

Gribley
06-16-2018, 11:51 AM
My other option would be a NUC. But, I was trying to keep the price small (which the Pi does, but more initial work than I have time for). I'm thinking about an NVIDIA Shield TV/Pro. More money than I'd like to spend, but would get the job done. Many people are getting the Minix NEO U9-H and scrapping Android and loading LibreElec (how many versions are there?). I hear it is great as a Kodi machine, which is really all I care about.

For LibreElec the main Krypton (Kodi 17) ones are available from the official site but Raybuntu (various arm devices) and Millhouse (pi) do Leia releases usually daily. Ray chap seems to be much more generic and not so specific to Odroid but he therefore releases them less often.

Really there is no effort in setup, just burn the img to a microsd card (I use Etcher but other also free options available) and on first boot it will resize and set itself up fully.

It only gets (a little) difficult when you setup on of these devices from the start with Debian/Ubuntu and then get to know the joys of apt-get. LibreElec just works out of the box which is kind of the point :)

If you try and not happy then convert it to a PiHole DNS server, another great thing and saves me all sorts of hassle with adblockers..... really you need to try it to understand but the jist is basically you`ll not waste your $35 on a Pi no matter what happens with you media server as it has many other practical uses.

MacGyverSG1
06-18-2018, 05:48 AM
I like the sound of using LibreElec loaded onto the NEO U9-H (uses ARM CPU) for just KODI use. That's all I'm looking for.

Thanks for the input.

Gribley
06-18-2018, 05:59 AM
Seems like it is well possible on the platform, always wonder as device providers lock down boot loaders so it comes to someone hacking `em normally.

Anyway a AM912, you beat me on my old 905 Odroid C2 :S

But get a Pi3+ if in budget just to fuck about with the possibilities and future uses. I have recycled mine even from the original Pi 256Mb versions (got 2) and only have one idle with nothing to contribute.... lets just call it a cold swap for my webserver :)

humphery21
07-12-2018, 11:28 AM
I'm still using Media Monkey, seems to sync with MB and play counts still updated by the Android Last.fm App
Before Media Monkey I used Rocket Player on Android, and that was nice looking and fully functional, the guys responded well to questions and wishlist requests.
I only moved to MM when I started using the MM Windows meia player... The amount of effort that goes into Music Bee is phenomenal, thus should very soon include every conceivable option, if not already available!

perky55
08-04-2018, 02:00 PM
Another vote for Libreelec - I replaced Openelec with it due to the lack of updates and it's ben rock solid ever since.

rotansharma
08-10-2018, 08:28 AM
The Android multimedia framework includes support for playing variety of common media types, so that you can easily integrate audio, video and images into your applications. You can play audio or video from media files stored in your application's resources (raw resources), from standalone files in the filesystem, or from a data stream arriving over a network connection, all using MediaPlayer APIs.

This document shows you how to write a media-playing application that interacts with the user and the system in order to obtain good performance and a pleasant user experience.

VLC
MX PLAYER