PDA

View Full Version : External 3.5" HDD Enclosure USB 3.0

MacGyverSG1
08-24-2018, 03:59 AM
I just bought three Thermaltake Silver River 5G enclosures. I bought one a few years ago and it has performed great. I installed a HDD (3TB Toshiba with movies on it) into one of the new enclosures and Windows Explorer did not see it. I went into Computer Management->Storage->Disk Management and the drive was listed, but it was offline. I initialized it, but it showed that the HDD was not partitioned (100% unallocated). I then installed the HDD, connecting it to motherboard, Windows Explorer showed the HDD and I could read the files. I tried the other two enclosures, same thing, nothing. I even tried the older Thermaltake enclosure with same results. I installed another 3TB Toshiba HDD (partitioned and formatted, empty) and Windows Explorer didn't see that drive either. I went into Disk Management and initialized the drive, created a new volume and then formatted it. Windows Explorer now sees that drive and I can copy files to it and play movies from it. I pulled that HDD from the enclosure and tried it in the other two new enclosures and they work.

In the past I've always been able to install a HDD (already used containing data) into an external USB enclosure and just plug it in and use it. Those were probably USB 2.0, though. Am I missing something? I'm going to try hooking up that 3TB HDD that was configured while installed in an external enclosure to see if it will still be readable.

joneson
10-28-2018, 02:28 AM
There should be no problem

MacGyverSG1
10-28-2018, 05:06 AM

That's what I thought, but I guess it isn't the case. If a HDD is first partitioned and formatted when connected to motherboard (SATA port), it will not be readable if removed from computer and installed into external USB enclosure and connected to USB port. It might be an issue with GPT vs. MBR. All of my HDDs are GPT partitioned. I guess the conversion from SATA -> USB might be the issue.

I've had to copy all data off any HDD to another HDD before disconnecting it from motherboard and installing it into an external USB enclosure and having to initialize it, partition it, and formatting it, to be able to use it again.

shaina
10-28-2018, 08:17 AM

That's what I thought, but I guess it isn't the case. If a HDD is first partitioned and formatted when connected to motherboard (SATA port), it will not be readable if removed from computer and installed into external USB enclosure and connected to USB port. It might be an issue with GPT vs. MBR. All of my HDDs are GPT partitioned. I guess the conversion from SATA -> USB might be the issue.

I've had to copy all data off any HDD to another HDD before disconnecting it from motherboard and installing it into an external USB enclosure and having to initialize it, partition it, and formatting it, to be able to use it again.

I can say i have an Antec HDD enclosure it is a bit older, and i have no problem reading all the info from a 4TB drive?? (but i have mostly 3tb), and i am running windows 7 64 if that makes a difference to you?? and i plug it into a usb 2.o or 3, shows everything, it also came with E-sata connection but i never use it. Saying that, i would assume a newer enclosure should have no problem reading everything on the drive??, And again i assume you are running a 64bit operating system....

I bought it because a friend of mine fucked up his operating system and he needed the files off of it, now i my kids use it to transfer bigger file stuff from my main computer to there's , it was worth it to buy and have for sure.......

Edit: Now you gave me an idea!!! If i see streaming through the network to the smart tv can't handle the 4k movies?? I am wondering if i plug in the enclosure directly will it work better:unsure:

MacGyverSG1
10-28-2018, 08:43 AM
I'm using Win 7 Pro x64. I tried using an older USB 2.0 enclosure and a 3TB, 4TB, and a 6TB HDDs that were first installed and set up connected to motherboard, and they were not readable after installing into USB enclosure. I'm using Thermaltake Silver River 5G enclosures (USB 3.0). They've been around for a while. I haven't seen newer enclosures that look good. The new USB 3.1 enclosures are too much money right now.

I was streaming movies from a USB 2.0 enclosure and high-bitrate videos stuttered. USB 3.0 I have no issue. Not sure about 4k videos. Would depend on video bitrate. If it's untouched 2160p video, USB 3.0 should still be able to handle it (in theory). Your USB 3.0 ports could be sharing bandwidth with other components.

shaina
10-28-2018, 08:54 AM
I'm using Win 7 Pro x64. I tried using an older USB 2.0 enclosure and a 3TB, 4TB, and a 6TB HDDs that were first installed and set up connected to motherboard, and they were not readable after installing into USB enclosure. I'm using Thermaltake Silver River 5G enclosures (USB 3.0). They've been around for a while. I haven't seen newer enclosures that look good. The new USB 3.1 enclosures are too much money right now.

I was streaming movies from a USB 2.0 enclosure and high-bitrate videos stuttered. USB 3.0 I have no issue. Not sure about 4k videos. Would depend on video bitrate. If it's untouched 2160p video, USB 3.0 should still be able to handle it (in theory). Your USB 3.0 ports could be sharing bandwidth with other components.

No no MacGyver, i have never used the enclosure direct to stream, i stream through wired Ethernet server, i have way too much stuff downloaded and too many tv's that use the media server, but i was just wondering if it will work better with a HDD connected direct to a smart tv to stream the full BD rips, being i only have one Pivos box in my bedroom that actually does....

This is the enclosure i have and the specs say one thing but i have done way more stuff with it and i plug it in to anything that is 64bit OS and it reads no problem and reads full HD meaning all 3tb (or the 2.8 something conversion shit).....

And it has a fan as well to keep the hard drives cool plus it's own power supply....I have had it for a very long time, still works great, and assuming you bought a newer one it should be even better:)

Edit: And i should really look at the specs on the LG tv if it has a 3.O usb port or not?? If that makes a difference?? I just saw it does have a few on it.....

And yes they are pricey considering you can buy a enclosed hd already for cheaper today, but i bought it for repairing and getting information on damaged drives, that actually was the main reason why i got one....

anon
10-28-2018, 11:26 PM
I just bought three Thermaltake Silver River 5G enclosures. I bought one a few years ago and it has performed great. I installed a HDD (3TB Toshiba with movies on it) into one of the new enclosures and Windows Explorer did not see it. I went into Computer Management->Storage->Disk Management and the drive was listed, but it was offline. I initialized it, but it showed that the HDD was not partitioned (100% unallocated). I then installed the HDD, connecting it to motherboard, Windows Explorer showed the HDD and I could read the files. I tried the other two enclosures, same thing, nothing.

Apparently this particular model is quirky on this regard?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R23Y8MDNS32W8Y/

Edit: Now you gave me an idea!!! If i see streaming through the network to the smart tv can't handle the 4k movies?? I am wondering if i plug in the enclosure directly will it work better:unsure:

But of course. The only downside is that USB 3.0 makes 2.4 GHz wireless work badly or not at all due to electromagnetic interference, but since you're all wired, that shouldn't be a problem.

shaina
10-29-2018, 12:03 AM
But of course. The only downside is that USB 3.0 makes 2.4 GHz wireless work badly or not at all due to electromagnetic interference, but since you're all wired, that shouldn't be a problem.

That's a positive Anon thanks, but is there an advantage or speed difference connecting direct usb 3.O tv vs Ethernet streaming?? The other thing, is there a difference in the router speeds when you are streaming internally?? Right now i am just using the rogers gigabit modem/router, and it works great with multiple tv's streaming at the same time and no lag or screw ups, but that is with encodes or everything smaller than true BD rips. Again repeating only one streaming box i have now works with those larger untouched rips.....

MacGyverSG1
10-29-2018, 02:38 AM
Apparently this particular model is quirky on this regard?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R23Y8MDNS32W8Y/

Luckily I have (4) of the Thermaltake enclosures. So I shouldn't lose data if one of the enclosures fails. I have moved a HDD from one enclosure to another without issue.

anon
10-29-2018, 09:27 PM
That's a positive Anon thanks, but is there an advantage or speed difference connecting direct usb 3.O tv vs Ethernet streaming??

For Fast Ethernet, absolutely, an order of magnitude greater. For Gigabit Ethernet, less so, though you may get an indirect benefit from not going through the network in the first place (see below).

The other thing, is there a difference in the router speeds when you are streaming internally??

Well, bandwidth is always finite and any sort of transfer requires some of it. If you push things too hard, there would eventually be a point where you don't have enough. A gigabit router should have plenty of headroom, though, so you'll be fine unless you stream 4K to multiple TVs at the same time you download a Linux ISO or whatever.

shaina
10-30-2018, 05:18 AM
For Fast Ethernet, absolutely, an order of magnitude greater. For Gigabit Ethernet, less so, though you may get an indirect benefit from not going through the network in the first place (see below).

The other thing, is there a difference in the router speeds when you are streaming internally??
Well, bandwidth is always finite and any sort of transfer requires some of it. If you push things too hard, there would eventually be a point where you don't have enough. A gigabit router should have plenty of headroom, though, so you'll be fine unless you stream 4K to multiple TVs at the same time you download a Linux ISO or whatever.

Ok Anon, i am a bit confused on the "Fast Ethernet"?? Is that not 10/100?? and gigabit is 10/1000??

http://www.fiber-optic-solutions.com/fast-ethernet-vs-gigabit-ethernet.html

And doing multiple testing on my actual internet speeds i have never his 1000Mbps, 975-980Mbps max!!!, and i kind of know that has nothing to do with internal streaming right?? And yes i understand if i am downloading something i will get a bit of loss on streaming , and remember i am a Usenet guy so no Torrent shit is running....

I appreciate that response and help Anon, but did you answer the difference between streaming with a HDD connected to the tv direct or streaming Ethernet throughout the whole house, is there an advantage to lets say having the bigger BD and 4K rips on a HDD and connected direct??? The big thing with my setups is i have surround sound in all of the rooms as well not sound bars or TV speakers?? So the bigger rips sound a ton better as well not just the picture, but i don't waste space on bigger rip TV shows, or Drama Movies, just some of the Favorites i like EG. Deadpool (a few other ryan renolds movies), Fast and Furious (and a Few other vin diesel movies),The Fifth Element (same a few Bruce Willis movies)....

PS.. MacGyver!!.. What's with all the enclosures??!! never heard of Servers??:), is it not more cost effective and efficient to have a server??? Again i am not sure how many TV's you stream too??

PPS.. So we understand Anon?? I don't use the internet to stream, it is all internal using Universal Media Server not Plex. It never sees the internet, it is all internal. So really is that not internal networking?? and if it is all wired Gigabit network (cat6, and a few cat5e :cry: and all Gigabit switches )?? Is that not better than "Fast Internet"??

MacGyverSG1
10-30-2018, 07:40 AM
I have many HDDs. When I buy a new HDD, it goes into computer and older one goes to USB enclosure. I don't have smart TVs, so I use a Minix NEO-U1 and NVIDIA Shield TV to play videos and music shared on HDDs. I don't stream from Internet.

shaina
10-30-2018, 01:28 PM
I have many HDDs. When I buy a new HDD, it goes into computer and older one goes to USB enclosure. I don't have smart TVs, so I use a Minix NEO-U1 and NVIDIA Shield TV to play videos and music shared on HDDs. I don't stream from Internet.
Not all of my TV's are either.....

My Kids stream Netflix and Amazon and Rogers Cable from the internet, but everything i download is only streamed internally. As i said i use Universal Media Server, and using wired or WIFi in your house you can do the same, it never needs to touch the outside internet, only uses your router......

We have had this discussion here many many times, even on Plex and again no need for outside internet, and the advantage is you don't need to waste and put duplicate things on HDD's and have them connected to each streaming box.....

https://www.universalmediaserver.com/

anon
10-31-2018, 07:43 AM
Ok Anon, i am a bit confused on the "Fast Ethernet"?? Is that not 10/100?? and gigabit is 10/1000??

http://www.fiber-optic-solutions.com/fast-ethernet-vs-gigabit-ethernet.html

And doing multiple testing on my actual internet speeds i have never his 1000Mbps, 975-980Mbps max!!!, and i kind of know that has nothing to do with internal streaming right?? And yes i understand if i am downloading something i will get a bit of loss on streaming , and remember i am a Usenet guy so no Torrent shit is running....

Fast Ethernet is 10/100, yes. That comment was purely educational, as I knew you're on gigabit :) Also, you will never get 100% of your connection speed due to various factors. But around 98% of that is very good.

I appreciate that response and help Anon, but did you answer the difference between streaming with a HDD connected to the tv direct or streaming Ethernet throughout the whole house, is there an advantage to lets say having the bigger BD and 4K rips on a HDD and connected direct???

I'm fairly sure I answered that in my previous post, but let's rehash :P In theory, and all else being equal, a direct connection is always better. Of course, you can't plug a disk on every TV and manage the files individually, that would negate the comfort of streaming in the first place. In practice, gigabit is good enough to the point you wouldn't really notice a difference, unless you're using several TVs all at the same time or something like that. Whether the streams are from your local network or come from the Internet doesn't affect this, they both use the same (finite) internal bandwidth you have.

MacGyverSG1
10-31-2018, 07:53 AM
Not all of my TV's are either.....

My Kids stream Netflix and Amazon and Rogers Cable from the internet, but everything i download is only streamed internally. As i said i use Universal Media Server, and using wired or WIFi in your house you can do the same, it never needs to touch the outside internet, only uses your router......

We have had this discussion here many many times, even on Plex and again no need for outside internet, and the advantage is you don't need to waste and put duplicate things on HDD's and have them connected to each streaming box.....

https://www.universalmediaserver.com/

I don't have duplicates of any files. All of my devices stream the files from my Windows 7 Pro PC. The PC has 7 internal HDDs (1 SSD for OS). Then I have 5 HDDs connected by USB external enclosures. I don't do streaming services because Comca$t has bugged me many times in the past about bandwidth abuse. I don't have another high-speed Internet access option.

anon
10-31-2018, 08:04 AM
I don't do streaming services because Comca$t has bugged me many times in the past about bandwidth abuse. I don't have another high-speed Internet access option.

So they sell you high-speed access, but don't want you to use it too much? I thought traffic caps were already supposed to take care of this "abuse" :dry:

MacGyverSG1
10-31-2018, 08:40 AM
I remember the first time I got a phone call from a company that Comca$t subcontracts to take care of notify customers about bandwidth abuse. They told me I was using too much bandwidth. I asked them what is the limit. They told me there isn't a limit. Then how am I using too much? I told them I wasn't going to adjust my Internet use. I got another call from them a few months later. Again, I'm using too much bandwidth, but there is no limit. I finally got the guy to say 350GB /month. I was doing 400-600GB. I think the limit is closer to 1TB /month now. I've been doing 20-30GB /day and no complaints so far. Some days I might use less than 1GB.

I think the problem is Comca$t can't handle the demand. They don't like spending money to upgrade their hardware. Of course they continue to increase their monthly rental fees for remote controls and cable boxes. With republicans in control, it's only going to get worse.

Gribley
10-31-2018, 10:40 AM
Skipping the whole fast(100) vs Gig (1000) debate. Just get aODROID-HC2

shaina
10-31-2018, 02:35 PM
I don't have duplicates of any files. All of my devices stream the files from my Windows 7 Pro PC. The PC has 7 internal HDDs (1 SSD for OS). Then I have 5 HDDs connected by USB external enclosures. I don't do streaming services because Comca$t has bugged me many times in the past about bandwidth abuse. I don't have another high-speed Internet access option.

Ok.. That still doesn't make any sense to me, but here it goes, why wouldn't you just buy a Mother Board that has at least 6 sata connections?? For what it costs you to buy those enclosures?? and you did complain, you could buy a reasonably price MOBO and have direct connections :idunno:...

EG. I started off with smaller drives (500gb), and now have eliminated them into min 3TB ones, for me to stream pretty much anything, no need for anything connected other than HD to the sata connections?? Heck you could buy 2 mother boards and save money on enclosures??..

Comcast??..... On bandwidth?? well as you may see on my older posts, that i use rogers and my service in unlimited downloads, i know Comcast offers that and it is usually cheap to add that feature:yup:, and they do that to stay competitive with other internet providers. Just a hint, the downloads in my house are up to 3tb a month!!, not a peep form rogers, they know i am streaming and downloading from something?? but no idea what nor do they care??

Honestly McGyver, it seems that using a straight MOBO it will save you costs even in electricity no?? And you being a Yankee , the cost to build a full machine to stream will be under $500 easy!!! How much are those enclosures ??? And $10 extra a month to have unlimited downloads?? May be worth it as well??

Just saying :D

PS. I will give you some advice as well in case you didn't know?? When you phone any of these Putz companies, never!!! ever!! speak to the first person that answers the phone!!, ask for Retention or Cancellation;). The first person looks at a screen and has limited things they can do, the Retention department has way more flexibility, and usually wants to keep you happy and as a customer......

MacGyverSG1
10-31-2018, 11:51 PM
shaina, If you read my post correctly, you would have noticed that I wrote that I have (7) internal HDDs and (1) internal SSD (that is 8 SATA ports on my MB). Seven HDDs is not enough space (all internal HDDs are 5TB+). The external HDDs are 3TB or 4TB. My next option would be to get a NAS, but they are expensive (the good ones anyways).

Comca$t in my area wants an extra $30 /month for Unlimited. They didn't add that feature to stay competitive (but to make more money), there is no other option for high-speed Internet (which I also wrote in previous post).

It would cost me more than $500 to build another computer to use just for streaming.

I never called anyone. Some Comca$t subcontractor that handles "bandwidth abuse" calls me. I asked for a supervisor when they told me there is no limit, but I'm using too much bandwidth. I get the same message from them. They don't care if Comca$t looses customers. I called Comca$t and they had no idea what I was talking about. Back then their Internet service never had a limit (written in print), not until they had customers like us. The problem was high bandwidth users were slowing things down for other customers on the same node. Then Comca$t started monitoring bandwidth use and hired a company to contact customers that were deemed bandwidth abusers. Monopolies can do what they want, especially when politicians are complicit.

shaina
11-01-2018, 02:58 AM
shaina, If you read my post correctly, you would have noticed that I wrote that I have (7) internal HDDs and (1) internal SSD (that is 8 SATA ports on my MB). Seven HDDs is not enough space (all internal HDDs are 5TB+). The external HDDs are 3TB or 4TB. My next option would be to get a NAS, but they are expensive (the good ones anyways).

Oh i read your post on this buddy, i am just trying to figure out what the fuck are you downloading to fill up 35TB internal give or take for games and some programs!!!. I know by any means it is not my business, but come on McGyver!!! that is insane!!!, and i am crazy and heck even Cabby is crazy (we discuss this every once and a while:)), but that is really insane!!! now you say you have another x amount for external??!! Again that is just insane!!!, you will be in heaven before you can watch everything you have downloaded!!!..I can download a ton of shit!! but half of it i skim through and delete it if it is shit!!, like a lot of the B movie shit that is uploaded on the servers, to me it is a waste of space and i don't bother keeping it, and no one in the household will ever watch it either.. All the best to you buddy, or should i say you are a Audio and Video whore hoarder :D

Comca$t in my area wants an extra $30 /month for Unlimited. They didn't add that feature to stay competitive (but to make more money), there is no other option for high-speed Internet (which I also wrote in previous post).

I know that Comcast Xfinity now in Florida where i stay in Hollywood, they deal, i call retention like i do here and got better promotions, so they will deal, and this is in a condo that part of it is paid in the maintenance and the rest my mother-in law;), and i do it here with rogers as well. Now don't jump down my throat and i can assume you are using SSL to download, so they see how much but don't know shit on what?? Forget all that VPN crap !! I never used it for downloading, i used it when i wanted to get the US Netflix programing that's all....

It would cost me more than $500 to build another computer to use just for streaming.

What you are telling me on the space you have and all the HDD's no doubt it will cost more!! Still insane, but i was told a long time ago you shouldn't really have those enclosures on 24hrs a day?? The one i have with a fan is a bit better, but some of them only have thermal shells and that is not the greatest for the drives??

What program are you using for streaming?? If you don't mind me asking??

I never called anyone. Some Comca$t subcontractor that handles "bandwidth abuse" calls me. I asked for a supervisor when they told me there is no limit, but I'm using too much bandwidth. I get the same message from them. They don't care if Comca$t looses customers. I called Comca$t and they had no idea what I was talking about. Back then their Internet service never had a limit (written in print), not until they had customers like us. The problem was high bandwidth users were slowing things down for other customers on the same node. Then Comca$t started monitoring bandwidth use and hired a company to contact customers that were deemed bandwidth abusers. Monopolies can do what they want, especially when politicians are complicit.

Fuckin Call!!! What will it hurt?? Especially if you are a good customer and been with them for a long time?? Forget your politics crap!! we all don't have the best choices if you want the better quality ISP!!, so you work with what you got and try to get the best deal to put the money towards your new NAS buddy;)

If you look at Rogers site?? and look at the prices they show, i am paying less than half, of what is posted on there, that is the truth!!! And i have been with them for umpteen years!!. EG. I was with Bell, which would be your at&t, and i had there internet for a short time and it was shit compared to Broadband in my area, and i slowly moved all my services to Rogers and i have no contract, i can cancel anytime, and when the promotions come close to expiring, i call them back ask for retention and get the best deal i can, and most of the time it goes up maybe $5 a month, and they give me better cable channels or something, but the last time i called them it actually went down, because they knew i was really pissed on the cost they show on the web page, and i am a loyal customer!!!!
Again it doesn't hurt to try...
Just a suggestion and trying to help buddy:)

PS. I should tell you that when i am in Florida, i don't really download that much, i get my son to send me stuff on the Google Cloud, in December a ton of screeners usually come out and i watch them there when i go back late to what i call the shoe box (condo is not that big) , and retrieve and put on a 64GB key that i bought at your best buy cheaper than i could buy here including the Tax and Exchange!!!, and i just leave that one there......
Again just sayin;)

MacGyverSG1
11-01-2018, 09:19 AM
I mostly have movies. I hardly ever download games or apps. Don't have a powerful video card to play games, plus no interest anymore. It's true that I probably could never watch all the movies I have, but I'll try. I only download movies that I think I'll like or know I like. The problem is I like all kinds of movies.

Comca$t does not negotiate in my area. They don't care how long I've been a loyal customer. They could care less if I dropped their service. I've talked to them many times. The best they do is give a $5 credit for one month. They know I don't have another choice. The cable companies are unregulated and can do whatever they want. With Ajit in charge of FCC, it's only going to get worse.

BTW, I use KODI to play videos and music. It's easy to view shared folders on all my HDDs and it plays everything I throw at it. The android boxes work great (Shield TV and Minix NEO-U1).

shaina
11-01-2018, 02:05 PM
BTW, I use KODI to play videos and music. It's easy to view shared folders on all my HDDs and it plays everything I throw at it. The android boxes work great (Shield TV and Minix NEO-U1).

Plex, Emby, Universal Media Server ??

Gribley
11-01-2018, 04:17 PM
Upnp servers are a bit crappy, an NFS share or minidlna depending on if you share direct off the drive or it is on a PC. I do both with many Pi clients. minidlna is really just for my audiostreams folder.

Samba also works fine on the odroid\debian for movie shares but usually I move those onto one of my PC drives and NFS `em as required.

Just try one out, they go for about £60 so might be worth having a play just to see, you can always resell on ebay if you don`t get on with it.

shaina
11-01-2018, 04:42 PM
Upnp servers are a bit crappy, an NFS share or minidlna depending on if you share direct off the drive or it is on a PC. I do both with many Pi clients. minidlna is really just for my audiostreams folder.
Samba also works fine on the odroid\debian for movie shares but usually I move those onto one of my PC drives and NFS `em as required.
Just try one out, they go for about £60 so might be worth having a play just to see, you can always resell on ebay if you don`t get on with it.

Not really sure about Samba Gribley?? I know the advantages of the 3 i mentioned also have to do with all the encoders built into the programs, eg. surround sounds, and picture image quality itself. No need to load up other crap to play certain formats, does everything on the fly.....

That's why i also assumed they are now all available on all OS's as well EG. Macs, Linux, Windows, and have some features that make searching and file sorting better??
And you can keep the HDD cleaner and more efficient in that way, and most brand name and popular streaming box's and smart tv's and even game consoles work with the licensing...

Again you can always use what you prefer, there is no really right or wrong answer or setup, always your choice. But if you look at most big setup media households today, Plex is the best known one out there, and even look at the menu's of Netflix, Amazon etc., they are very similar in ease of use. Again i am talking internal network streaming in the house, not xbmc or the rename kodi features of using outside internet to stream....

You can call UPNP crappy?? but for everyone in the house to have easy streaming and no trouble's playing anything, that is the way to go, and it is very pretty/professional looking and no fuss, in searching for anything you want.....

Gribley
11-01-2018, 04:52 PM
I have a playon lifetime license and don`t use it. That did my n'flix but with Kodi 18 didn`t need it anymore with inputstream :) Plex I gather is much the same.

As an external drive then whacking an odroid in the mix just gives options, many many options whilst keeping the core premise

shaina
11-01-2018, 05:06 PM
I have a playon lifetime license and don`t use it. That did my n'flix but with Kodi 18 didn`t need it anymore with inputstream :) Plex I gather is much the same.

As an external drive then whacking an odroid in the mix just gives options, many many options whilst keeping the core premise

Sure but if you have multiple TV's/Media trying to access all of your library of crap?? Attaching one external drive to a TV won't work right??

And to Odroid and Pi's are tinker projects and require a lot of programing and stuff, but don't get me wrong great also for emulators of old games and stuff, but not for an efficient media in a whole household?? It is like these stupid Google round things my kids have all over the house!!!!. To me they are dumb, but to them it is the lazy future :lol:

If you want to give me the Playon license to tinker with i am in:01: Just kidding buddy, and still Playon is not really a big player on household media builds in my opinion.

Really Gribley.. Take a guy who just bought a few tv's and surround sound systems for his house and wants to set up an efficient way to stream everything?? Movies, Music, media etc... and he does want to do everything in a cost efficient way?? But also wants ease of use and not waste a ton of time setting it up?? Hens the UPNP methods right?? and have less breakdown and ease of updates and all of that??
Your way is great for tinkering and stuff, but not for an everyday guy or a lazy guy that doesn't want to have steaming and setup problems all the time, and when he turns on anything?? a few buttons clicked and he is there!!
Would you really recommend your setup to a person like that??

Gribley
11-01-2018, 05:13 PM
Shay, don`t knock the KODI. A Pi3 running KODI is as good as it gets (give or take 10bit HEVC which it does manage just with a little bit of toasting - aka it gets hot for a passive solution)

odroid HC2 would be both the external drive and a bitchin` server if setup that way, I see no reason it couldn't service all local network requests. It does require some involvement to setup but the rewards are there for those that push through.

shaina
11-01-2018, 09:14 PM
Shay, don`t knock the KODI. A Pi3 running KODI is as good as it gets (give or take 10bit HEVC which it does manage just with a little bit of toasting - aka it gets hot for a passive solution)

odroid HC2 would be both the external drive and a bitchin` server if setup that way, I see no reason it couldn't service all local network requests. It does require some involvement to setup but the rewards are there for those that push through.

No argument here on you setup or methods Buddy, and you should know me by now i would never knock you:), but take a guy that is not interested in a lot of setup and wants ease of use?? Go buy an inexpensive Firestick or some streaming box, and even if the costs is a bit higher on a better box, you will have it for many many years!!
And it sits in front of the tv and your PC be it wifi or wired in the room you want and done....Now install Plex and done, or if you want to spend a bit subscribe to the other features of Plex and done. Everything looks neat and in it's own shiny box and done.. Or you have a newish TV that is smart and the same goes with that, load Plex and done. But if you are looking for free to air type stuff or looking for TV live stations because you have no other source?? Kodi is it for sure, and i would never knock kodi, it does have it's positives, but you have to be willing to stay on top of the changes when say one of the connections gets shut down, and the search goes on...
EG. i use to use it for some news channels that i couldn't get through cable, but then it became a pain in the ass with freezes and no connections, the same with streaming movies direct?? it would have a ton of links, some would work and some were just shitty quality picture. The same for the UFC fights?? Now i just find direct links for a Pentium I5 laptop that has a HDMI connection and use that, and i found some direct links for the news stations if i really want to use them (Have most of them on Cable now).
So again buddy if it works for you great!!, but i just like simple setups and actually now i am just eliminating crap. I just bought a new smart TV because one of my plasma's finally blew up:cry:, now i got rid of all the shit i had to use to stream with, PS3 and all other crap, and now i can do everything right through the tv, the only pain in the ass is the tv also had a tuner built in but the way the cable companies work and to keep the pirating down you still have to use there digital terminal boxes to view!!!, that's all i need connected now, and all of this filters through the amp, and a lot less wires and mess...
Again there was no intention to disrespect your setup at all, i just prefer less shit and have pretty much all the benefits of quality streaming. Being real, there is still a ton of people that go out and have 100's of Blu-ray disks, to them that is the quality they are looking for to watch?? Myself who the fuck wants all that shit all over the place!!, and with multiple tv's in my house, you would never be able to find the disks or just myself too fucking lazy:D.
But i do like tinkering, and my sons girlfriend has on of the original Pi's, and uses it for an emulator of old nes and other games;), and to let you know she has her Masters in Computer Engineering :01:

PS. The odroid HC2 sounds and looks interesting too, i am going to check it out on the net, and tell my sons girlfriend about it as well..
Thanks Buddy:D

MacGyverSG1
11-02-2018, 06:18 AM
KODI is very simple if you are just playing videos shared on a PC. You don't need to install any extras. Nothing will get shut down.

Now Plex is confusing and didn't work for me. I tried it out when I got my NVIDIA Shield TV. Setting it up was confusing and I gave up and went back to KODI. Was up and running in less than a minute.

I guess the moral of the story is, use what works for you.

shaina
11-02-2018, 06:51 AM
KODI is very simple if you are just playing videos shared on a PC. You don't need to install any extras. Nothing will get shut down.

Now Plex is confusing and didn't work for me. I tried it out when I got my NVIDIA Shield TV. Setting it up was confusing and I gave up and went back to KODI. Was up and running in less than a minute.

I guess the moral of the story is, use what works for you.

I couldn't agree with you more McGyver.....

joneson
11-12-2018, 11:42 AM
Stellite Nude (https://www.newbecca.com/product/44131885032) CRHC535U3ISC sata 3.0 6G Transmission rate This is my hard drive box

Gribley
11-12-2018, 01:13 PM
A very expensive pure NAS unit. Nothing wrong with that if that is what you need. I`m sticking with the more generalised solution

Oh take that back, isn`t even network enabled. Just a really expensive external drive cage. Not sure why dropping $300 on that would make sense but it is as always down to what you need

joneson
11-12-2018, 04:32 PM
It still depends on personal values.

Tokeman
11-12-2018, 09:04 PM
It still depends on personal values.

I'll just cram drives into my case and act as the household NAS until I can justify buying a real one (or retired one from work with new drives?)
Most semi-recent halfway decent boards have 6+ sata connections. Using a PCI or m.2 drive frees up more sata slots for storage drives.
Don't even have to put them in the case, just ignore that thing hanging over there...

anon
11-12-2018, 09:12 PM
Oh take that back, isn`t even network enabled. Just a really expensive external drive cage. Not sure why dropping $300 on that would make sense but it is as always down to what you need

At least it's USB 3.0 :smilie4: My first hard drive enclosure was USB 2.0, IDE, limited to 137 GB... and the power brick was huge!

MacGyverSG1
11-13-2018, 12:30 PM
Luckily files were pretty small back when IDE was used. Plus I didn't get high-speed Internet access in my area until 2004. SATA and 1TB HDDs were common then. No bluray, web-dls, 720p/1080p HDTV. I used an IOMEGA Zip Drive for external storage.

shaina
11-13-2018, 01:06 PM
Luckily files were pretty small back when IDE was used. Plus I didn't get high-speed Internet access in my area until 2004. SATA and 1TB HDDs were common then. No bluray, web-dls, 720p/1080p HDTV. I used an IOMEGA Zip Drive for external storage.

Wow!!!, you are making me feel so young all over again buddy:lol:

I think those were the days when you downloaded a movie and it was split "A" and "B" so you could burn to fit CD's because DVD's were too expensive to buy let alone a DVD ROM player to boot. Then you splurged, and got even more excited when you could put 4 movies plus on one DVD:clap:. What was that format before AVI and you had to go searching everywhere to find a DVD player that would play the disks??.
Then you were so pissed off on how many disks you wasted because you couldn't find the other half of the movie, and you ended up with umpteen half disks of it!!!!..
Then you are talking the days when a bootleg copy of a movie came out, be it cam or whatever, and you could barley see the dam picture, but yet you were so excited to watch:slap:..Now in the future you hope and pray you don't have a HDD failure, because you will loose 3tb of movies, tv shows, or music, and have to download all the shit back again!!!!. The only nice thing is it will take you less than a day to get everything back, in the old day you would just say fuck it and move on, and you had a 20gb hard drive for storage that cost you more than building a whole computer today!! (Ok a little less for the HDD), and the days when you felt like pistol pete because you were paying and arm and a leg for Giganews!!, and how many times you went over the limit of headers and downloads, in a month!!!, and had to pay again!!!..
But i can say without a lie MacGyver, i never used a Zip Drive for storage of movies or downloads?? But having the jam ups because you cued too many headers to view in the binary groups i don't miss either....
Oh the good ol days buddy;)

PS. But i will say i still have my mint special DVD burner to burn Xbox and Wii games:D

And i just threw this out from my basement at the dump the other day, if you can believe that, other shit i dropped off at Best Buy to recycle..

MacGyverSG1
11-13-2018, 01:48 PM
I still have my 19" Sony Trinitron CRT (flat screen). It's in a box somewhere.

DivX was used before XviD, but I believe you are referring to VCD (.vcd and sometimes .bin and .cue). VCDs for movies were very popular. Many movies came in two 700MB files. I still have a couple of old DVD players ( 5 disc carousel) that will play VCD and DivX/XviD.

I still have a couple Plextor CD and DVD burners that can copy protected CDs/DVDs (along with BlindWrite or similar app).

I never used Zip disks for storage. Mainly to transfer files from school computer to home computer and vise versa.

Gribley
11-13-2018, 05:31 PM
Luckily files were pretty small back when IDE was used

Files tend to be all the way from the start to the end. But I get your point in shit keeps getting bigger and yet is it getting better? Also had a zip drive.

I like the monitor, my amiga 14" ones look about as good as that :) I lie they went many years ago along with my A2000 and a g-lock.... there is something to retro google :D

anon
11-14-2018, 08:47 AM

That's all.

MacGyverSG1
11-14-2018, 12:41 PM
I had the blueish-gray external model, for portability. I think the disks were only 100MB, IIRC. I did have an internal drive that looked like that for my PC. I might still have the external unit somewhere. I have dropped off so much old electronics to Best Buy I can't remember.

shaina
11-14-2018, 06:09 PM
Luckily files were pretty small back when IDE was used

Files tend to be all the way from the start to the end. But I get your point in shit keeps getting bigger and yet is it getting better? Also had a zip drive.

I like the monitor, my amiga 14" ones look about as good as that :) I lie they went many years ago along with my A2000 and a g-lock.... there is something to retro google :D

My point was i am a pack rat!!, and now i am trying to purge shit in my basement:). And things are getting bigger because you need the space to keep up with the growth or technology no?? going from a 27" console tv that had a remote antenna that got 10 channels, it has come a long way from that, and thinking a good quality sound and picture quality movie fit on a 700mb disk, was like WoW!! right buddy:). Now you expand the TV to 60" and try to view the same quality?? I think you have to be back about a 100 feet and squint to see a clear picture:lol:

But OH!!! the good ol days;)

shaina
11-14-2018, 06:30 PM

DivX was used before XviD, but I believe you are referring to VCD (.vcd and sometimes .bin and .cue). VCDs for movies were very popular. Many movies came in two 700MB files. I still have a couple of old DVD players ( 5 disc carousel) that will play VCD and DivX/XviD.

I still have a couple Plextor CD and DVD burners that can copy protected CDs/DVDs (along with BlindWrite or similar app).

I never used Zip disks for storage. Mainly to transfer files from school computer to home computer and vise versa.

School!!!!?? I assume you are talking you became a Teacher latter in life?? The only thing i remember from school is those fill in punch cards:huh:, The only thing with zip in it was my coat, Velcro was not around yet:lol:
Just Kidding......

Got rid of my Plextor long time back (IDE), was not on the list for burning Xbox 360 games, and thanks buddy for the memory of VCD, i had a 5 disc player as well but no go in the VCD's, you always had to look around for the cheap players to work or if i remember the better Pioneers also worked?? I had Onkyo and Denon players but no go either. And i just purged those as well, and how about at least 40 Direct TV and Dish Network receivers (Dish and Bell worked for both), and at least 20 activation cards!, and a ton of boards!!..
Oh the good ol days with having wide open channels:D......

Had a few of these lined up on a table as well;)

OH Wait!!! Gribley!!! isn't that a Raspberry Pi:lol:

Gribley
11-16-2018, 02:50 PM

Not even close, more like a Elvis or maybe a smartspy without the case. I do come from that funcard background don`t forget.... although that was 15 years ago but I know my ISO protocols

MacGyverSG1
11-21-2018, 05:25 PM

School!!!!?? I assume you are talking you became a Teacher latter in life?? The only thing i remember from school is those fill in punch cards:huh:, The only thing with zip in it was my coat, Velcro was not around yet:lol:
Just Kidding......

Got rid of my Plextor long time back (IDE), was not on the list for burning Xbox 360 games, and thanks buddy for the memory of VCD, i had a 5 disc player as well but no go in the VCD's, you always had to look around for the cheap players to work or if i remember the better Pioneers also worked?? I had Onkyo and Denon players but no go either. And i just purged those as well, and how about at least 40 Direct TV and Dish Network receivers (Dish and Bell worked for both), and at least 20 activation cards!, and a ton of boards!!..
Oh the good ol days with having wide open channels:D......

Had a few of these lined up on a table as well;)

College classes. I had a Sony 5-disc spinner that played VCDs. I think it was a Panasonic after that. Then I went to Oppo.

My Plextor is SCSI. Came with its own controller card (probably ISA card). Might be why it could copy anything with proper software. I was copying PC games that used SecuROM for myself and PSX games for my brother. After a while copying became impossible, so resorted to CD cracks. Then when I only downloaded games, the cracks were included.

I never got into satellite TV. I had a few "black boxes" over the years.