PDA

View Full Version : Hardware Paging anon...help, pleaseTV.

megabyteme
08-30-2018, 04:46 PM
Thought you'd probably be the one answering this anyway...

Here's what I need to do:

I have an Nvidia Shield TV. On it, I have Plex Media Server, which I would like to stream to my Samsung GearVR headset.

I have already been successful in doing this....BUT...

I want to do this at work and the internet connection is so iffy that I use phone data most of the time. I really don't want to spend $30 to watch a movie.

What I want to be able to do is connect a router to the ethernet port of the Shield TV so that I can stream content from it to the headset without using the internet.

Any way to know if this will work? I have a spare router or 3 that I can flash to any necessary firmware. I just don't want to go through the trouble to find out it's impossible/improbable to work.

Thank you, sir!

anon
08-30-2018, 10:50 PM
Can't say no to a thread with ore-sama's name on it :smilie4:

Anyway, let me get this straight: Internet at work is useless and data plans in Trumptopia aren't great either, so you want to stream content from the TV (that you've already downloaded) to the VR headset.

In that case, setting this up won't be too hard, you won't even need to flash custom firmware. Grab one of the (wireless) routers you have, do a factory reset on it, configure network name and password to your liking and make sure AP isolation is disabled. Plug the TV to one of the LAN ports and connect the headset to the wireless network you configured previously. Obviously, you won't have Internet access, but both TV and headset will be in the same broadcast domain and thus "see" each other, which as far as networking is concerned is all you need to stream video.

Ideally, you'd be able to skip using the router altogether and use Wi-Fi Direct, but it seems the Shield TV only supports that for controllers.

Let me know if there are any problems (or if I completely misunderstood the current one :P).

IdolEyes787
08-30-2018, 11:03 PM
Let me know if there are any problems. His legs don't work so good. Probably better than his penis but then that's a very low bar.

anon
08-30-2018, 11:14 PM
Probably better than his penis but then that's a very low bar.

Your knowledge on this matter is suspiciously thorough :sly:

IdolEyes787
08-30-2018, 11:15 PM
You're the one who showed me how to hack his webcam.

anon
08-30-2018, 11:24 PM
Who would have known that sort of knowledge would be misused for sexy purposes :( Hopefully we all learned that having a camera and microphone constantly pointing at us is as good as it sounds that day.

megabyteme
08-31-2018, 07:35 AM
Guys, guys... I appreciate your recognition-- that 'low bar' being my knees :01:

Thanks, Anon ... I was hoping that I could set a router to broadcast a network, then connect to that. I will get it started, then may have further questions since networking tends to be a plague (very much like Idol).

IdolEyes787
08-31-2018, 12:59 PM
I hope it's the water to blood one because I can see that impressing college girls.

Guys, guys... I appreciate your recognition-- that 'low bar' being my knees :01:

On top of all your other problems I now learn that you've also had to go through life without femurs.:(

MacGyverSG1
09-01-2018, 11:58 AM
Does megabyteme look like Cotton Hill?

IdolEyes787
09-01-2018, 12:50 PM
More like Faith Hill actually.

anon
09-02-2018, 03:07 AM
Thanks, Anon ... I was hoping that I could set a router to broadcast a network, then connect to that. I will get it started, then may have further questions since networking tends to be a plague (very much like Idol).

Hah! I love networking, but I can see why it would feel that way. Anyway, keep us updated on your progress with Operation Netflix at Work :turned:

Skiz
09-03-2018, 11:11 PM
Ffs...What do you do for work that allows you to wear a VR headset and watch a movie? This sounds like Mulder level slacking.