PDA

View Full Version : Charmed (2018)

MacGyverSG1
10-16-2018, 02:46 AM
Wow, I didn't know they were doing a remake. Figures, since everything seems to be a remake/reboot these days. Of course they chose women of color. Fine by me though (I like all shades ;)). Don't think the show will last. Another show I won't be watching.

Gribley
10-16-2018, 07:39 AM
Go on give it a try, it ain`t that bad.... and (unrelated) I actually like the Magnum reboot so far.

Airwolf has got to be coming soon and as long as Blue Thunder, Street Hawk and Manimal all remain dead the world is not totally lost. Now Automan and Otherworld remakes would be interesting, Cursor was killed off far too young :(

IdolEyes787
10-16-2018, 04:56 PM
The original Charmed was thinly disguised T&A. Turning it into some faux feminist message is basically sacrilegious.

No doubt some liberal is behind it as they don't believe in God. :no:

Also do noteth blaspheme Blue Thunder, hippie.
Clearly the sheer originality of "maverick cop with unorthodox methods" is lost on you.

Btw the best thing about Airwolf was totally the absurd art collection he had at his place in the woods.

Gribley
10-16-2018, 06:31 PM
I am going to have to engage Whisper mode now. Yes why wouldn`t you have a button for that, why make it normal mode when you can add value with a little light up button.

Best thing about Airwolf was surely the fact he can fire a Mav out of a 2inch 4 round rocket launcher... well any missile really. As long as it was badly dubbed in or that yellow/orange blob graphic then that is 80`s TV.

MacGyverSG1
10-16-2018, 07:42 PM
I'd rather rewatch the original Charmed. I watched Magnum and MacGyver growing up. Can't even think about watching the remakes.

What about the A-Team? They did a movie (bad by the way). Hunter was a good show. There seems to be a never ending run of cop shows on TV.

I hardly doubt there's some liberal behind it as a feminist agenda. This seems to be a remake/reboot era. The supernatural shows are loved by the millennials. We've had enough vampire stuff, so let's do witches. Charmed was a hit and they still air reruns. A broad audience will watch it (guys, gals, lesbians and gays). It can potentially make a ton of money. That's what it is all about. It won't last long if the writing sucks and they can't come up with good story lines.

anon
10-16-2018, 08:12 PM
I hardly doubt there's some liberal behind it as a feminist agenda.

The official blurb is fairly transparent on this matter, though...

Charmed is a reimagining of the original Aaron Spelling 1998 to 2006 series. The new show will be a fierce, funny, feminist reboot centered on three sisters in a college town who discover they are witches. Between vanquishing supernatural demons, tearing down the patriarchy, and maintaining familial bonds, a witch's work is never done.

Gribley
10-16-2018, 08:22 PM
What about the A-Team?

That is already on the share drive (original that is before they remake it, as is the original Charmed). Sliders and Bab5 more ones to hope they bring back

IdolEyes787
10-16-2018, 08:24 PM
They can remake bad and mediocre stuff to their heart's content for there is a potential upside. Good, fondly remembered shows though....

Charmed is a reimagining of the original Aaron Spelling 1998 to 2006 series. The new show will be a fierce, funny, feminist reboot centered on three sisters in a college town who discover they are witches. Between vanquishing supernatural demons, tearing down the patriarchy, and maintaining familial bonds, a witch's work is never done.

I think you mean transgender.

MacGyverSG1
10-16-2018, 10:10 PM

I'm sure the show will just be a supernatural drama showing women with confidence taking the lead, instead of just men, like usual. It's just a TV show, people put too much thought into nonsense. If you like it fine, if not, watch something else.

shaina
10-17-2018, 02:16 AM
I'm sure the show will just be a supernatural drama showing women with confidence taking the lead, instead of just men, like usual. It's just a TV show, people put too much thought into nonsense. If you like it fine, if not, watch something else.

I just find that when the new shows start every year and then you have the new seasons of the old shows that you thought were shit and yet they got renewed and the ones you actually thought were entertaining got canned :huh: That sucks more than myself having to go back to the original 8 seasons of Two and a Half Men (Of course with Charlie Sheen!!), and watch that again for the 20th time, for me to still get a laugh and not have to watch the 50th season of Dancing With the Stars or Survivor (Ya i know it is your favorite Idol:)). I actually starting to re-watch the tv show Life (Damian Lewis ,Sarah Shahi:naughty:)..
And shit i may have to go back to watch Mad Men:idunno:

PS. I think someone mentioned they don't mind the new Magnum P I remake?? That i will have to figure out:unsure:, But i will say me personally i don't mind the remake of Hawaii Five O, but saying it was as good or better than the original?? Ah!! i would say no..............

MacGyverSG1
10-17-2018, 03:48 AM
Life was a great show. The end seemed rushed. Assume they knew the show was getting axed. What a piece of ass Sarah was, still is. I'll only watch the Charlie Sheen episodes, also. I don't watch reality shows, unless you count Forged In Fire. I have yet to watch Mad Men. I have the complete series ready to go. When I finish watching Stargate SG-1 (which I haven't watched since the show first aired), I might just start Mad Men. I couldn't get into the new Hawaii Five-O. I can't stand Caan.

laro_ye
10-20-2018, 02:28 AM
Remake should work like tributes.
Not that kind of thing that adapts the scenes and dialogues for teens.

Something new, but inspired by the original, with the core elements. Take Lost in Space, for instance, or House of Cards.

MacGyverSG1
10-20-2018, 02:46 AM
Lost In Space might work since many people are too young to have seen the original. I watched it as a kid. It was cheesy, but what do you expect for 1960's TV. House of Cards works because the original show was British.

nQQ
10-21-2018, 10:21 AM
It really depends how they tackle the remake i.e. same idea/plot lines with new cast or new ideas/stories but bast on the characters/situations.

SG-1 was good but many of the follow ups simply rehashed stories from SG-1

MacGyverSG1
10-21-2018, 10:50 PM
I really liked SG-Atlantis. I could have watched another 4-5 seasons. It was better than SG-1 after Hammond left. Never watched Stargate-Universe (looked stupid).

laro_ye
10-22-2018, 11:06 PM
Lost In Space might work since many people are too young to have seen the original. I watched it as a kid. It was cheesy, but what do you expect for 1960's TV. House of Cards works because the original show was British.

It can be true, but we may not think and judge anachronistically. We can't expect the plots from the 90's to be used in 2018.

nQQ
10-28-2018, 01:03 PM
It depends if its a simple remake or reenvisaged. I remember Sabrina the teenage Witch so when this remake was mooted, was going to pass it by but the reviews were good in that it is more faithful to the original archie comic. Strangely there have been a few grumbles because its no longer a light hearted comedy and that they've changed things from the original TV series (back to being more in line with the graphic novel).

IdolEyes787
10-28-2018, 01:20 PM
The question is being faithful to an Archie comic actually a good thing? Kind sad that CW teen pap has invaded original Netflix shows now as well.

MacGyverSG1
10-29-2018, 02:16 AM
Unfortunately the studios don't care about quality, it's all about profit. It's why good shows get canceled and bad shows continue airing.

nQQ
10-29-2018, 07:46 AM
A "good show" is very subjective though - I've worked my way through a lot of the Marvel shows on Netflix, but the missus thinks they are pap. Though tbh quality has gone down on these as they are being churned out to a formula.

The problem has been a lot of "good" shows are fairly niche market and so whilst they have a dedicated following may get axed because the viewing figures are not as expected.

MacGyverSG1
10-30-2018, 01:49 AM
A "good show" is very subjective though - I've worked my way through a lot of the Marvel shows on Netflix, but the missus thinks they are pap. Though the quality has gone down on these as they are being churned out to a formula.

The problem has been a lot of "good" shows are fairly niche market and so whilst they have a dedicated following may get axed because the viewing figures are not as expected.

Lower than expected viewing figures means little or no profit. The budget for a show is based on predicted profit. If a show doesn't make a profit right away, then it gets axed. Some shows need time to catch on. Look at Breaking Bad. I watched that show from the very beginning. Nobody was even talking about Breaking Bad until season 4-5. I loved it from s01e01. TV shows used to get time to find an audience. Now they have to be hits from day one or get cancelled.

nQQ
10-30-2018, 09:22 AM
A "good show" is very subjective though - I've worked my way through a lot of the Marvel shows on Netflix, but the missus thinks they are pap. Though the quality has gone down on these as they are being churned out to a formula.

Lower than expected viewing figures means little or no profit. The budget for a show is based on predicted profit. If a show doesn't make a profit right away, then it gets axed. Some shows need time to catch on. Look at Breaking Bad. I watched that show from the very beginning. Nobody was even talking about Breaking Bad until season 4-5. I loved it from s01e01. TV shows used to get time to find an audience. Now they have to be hits from day one or get cancelled.
TBF that's been the case for a long while. For many years I've done search in the fall schedule for s01e01 pilot shows and often many that seem good don't get pushed for a full series. Then there are those that get cancelled mid season so you don't even get a full season of episodes. What you do get now with streaming services is lower acceptable figures, or they release a whole season, so it doesn't end up with a short season. You will always get shows that have a single season and don't get carried forward, just as you will get shows renewed because some TV exec wants it to even though you feel that its not a patch on another show that they cancelled.

MacGyverSG1
10-31-2018, 07:44 AM
That's why I have only been watching new shows if they make it to season 3. I got burned too many times to invest time into a new show that gets canceled after one or two seasons. Unfortunately I haven't seen a "streaming service" show that has interested me yet (except Disenchantment).

patkhoo
11-01-2018, 05:02 AM
That's why I have only been watching new shows if they make it to season 3. I got burned too many times to invest time into a new show that gets canceled after one or two seasons. Unfortunately I haven't seen a "streaming service" show that has interested me yet (except Disenchantment).

I tried the remade Macgyver for a bit, and it is its own style, but in honesty, it is just not like the original Macgyver. I didn't know there is a Charmed remake either, but it seems very dubious. I can imagine if they remade Buffy, then there would be some giant huge twist on the whole thing to "update it for modern times" or whatever. Very few "remakes" really make a difference. When BSG was remade, there was this huge outcry over changing genders for Starbuck. I think in the end, it sort of worked, but I really don't know if it is change for the sake of change.

On the other hand, since you mention Disenchantment, the style may be similar (it is Matt Groening after all), but at least he tried very hard to turn the genre on its head. The princess is not the one who needs saving, but rather the elf is. LOL! And so unconventional a princess. So yeah, kudos for that, a great show. Can't wait for S2 :)

nQQ
11-01-2018, 07:04 AM

I tried the remade Macgyver for a bit, and it is its own style, but in honesty, it is just not like the original Macgyver. I didn't know there is a Charmed remake either, but it seems very dubious. I can imagine if they remade Buffy, then there would be some giant huge twist on the whole thing to "update it for modern times" or whatever. Very few "remakes" really make a difference. When BSG was remade, there was this huge outcry over changing genders for Starbuck. I think in the end, it sort of worked, but I really don't know if it is change for the sake of change.
I suppose its a hard choice, if they simply recast in a straight remake, actors will always be compared to the originals, if there are elements that show that are dated, then how to modernise - if its exactly the same are you just retelling to a new crowd. There will always be those who outcry the modernisation because producers differ from the old mainly white, mainly male, heterosexual setting. I suppose some do go too far the opposite direction, it is all about the audience and what they expect. after all, if not enough people watch then its doomed, however modern it does or doesn't become.

Gribley
11-01-2018, 07:14 AM
I suppose its a hard choice, if they simply recast in a straight remake, actors will always be compared to the originals, if there are elements that show that are dated, then how to modernise - if its exactly the same are you just retelling to a new crowd. There will always be those who outcry the modernisation because producers differ from the old mainly white, mainly male, heterosexual setting. I suppose some do go too far the opposite direction, it is all about the audience and what they expect. after all, if not enough people watch then its doomed, however modern it does or doesn't become.

Well put. Reboots are lets face it sad since they can`t come up with original ideas anymore and it is left to us older gen to compare however I still watch `em.

I am still waiting on Sliders and Bab5 reboots, the one where there are more girls and every other person is gay (non-gender specific).

MacGyverSG1
11-01-2018, 09:01 AM
A new Sliders could be interesting. It's unfortunate that Jerry O'Connell left the show, plus the other original actors and writers. Season one and two were great. Season 3 was alright. The show dies after that. Kari Wuhrer was hot, but the show didn't work anymore.

nQQ
11-01-2018, 05:47 PM
How many new shows are often said to have been influenced by others, so a remake simply avoids to any pretence that it's a new concept. I agree about sliders, it became one of those shows I seeked out in BT for completeness but it really did go downhill by the third season. Sometimes shows explore all the ideas from the original concept but continue simply because its bringing in money.

patkhoo
11-06-2018, 06:25 AM
A new Sliders could be interesting. It's unfortunate that Jerry O'Connell left the show, plus the other original actors and writers. Season one and two were great. Season 3 was alright. The show dies after that. Kari Wuhrer was hot, but the show didn't work anymore.

Hmm, do you think it is a bit like Quantum Leap -> Sliders -> Timeless ? :)

I think in these cases, at least the show is different enough to not be considered a "remake", but the basic premise of having the same characters jumping around in time and space is the same..

Gribley
11-07-2018, 05:52 AM
QL was OK but very GOD based (as you`d expect from the director). Sliders was just good and let us not forget same year, same time, different dimension. Timeless was OK but way to recent to consider.

nQQ
11-07-2018, 06:17 PM
Any new series in the same ilk? QL for was far too god orientated for my liking.

IdolEyes787
11-07-2018, 08:24 PM
The Ministry of Time. The series is in Spanish but the blu rays have English subtitles.

https://www.thetvdb.com/series/the-ministry-of-time

Also under time traveling and very highly thought of ..

Dark. In German with English subtitles

https://www.thetvdb.com/series/dark

and one that is at least in English if not so universally praised

12 Monkeys

https://www.thetvdb.com/series/12-monkeys