PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendation for syncing subtitles?

dion09529
11-13-2018, 05:52 PM
There's a bunch of softwares, but what you're using?

joneson
11-14-2018, 05:46 AM
What software do you need?

Gribley
11-14-2018, 06:05 AM
Damn you start a question thread by asking a 2nd question in the body. What are you after, doing hard coded subs? Unless you have a really shit SRT file then it should already be in-sync.

Always Vdub(2) anyway

anon
11-14-2018, 08:44 AM
I used VisualSubSync once. It worked :unsure: All I did was push all lines two seconds forward since the subtitles were for a different encode of the movie, but it can do more advanced stuff too.

dion09529
11-14-2018, 07:30 PM
Damn you start a question thread by asking a 2nd question in the body. What are you after, doing hard coded subs? Unless you have a really shit SRT file then it should already be in-sync.

Always Vdub(2) anyway

Here'a 3rd question in the body: What is a peppergrinder?

What software do you need?

I used VisualSubSync once. It worked :unsure: All I did was push all lines two seconds forward since the subtitles were for a different encode of the movie, but it can do more advanced stuff too.

I need something that can match subtitle frame rate to video rate. For that I'll test the above recommended softwares.
Thank you!

gerinhocaixa
08-06-2019, 01:30 AM
I use Subtitle Edit. Open the subtitle and "point sync to another subtitle", then select the video file to point sync with whatever embedded subs there are. If they are .vob then I extract them and "import vob by ocr" or whatever. I don't bother with dictionary or accuracy, just so long as I get an .srt in the end, so again, I can "point sync" to that. You can also extract the subtitles prior to doing that stuff via gmkvextract.

Both of these are Windows programs, but I could never find anything that does the same "point syncing" for mac or linux, nor could I find anything to make a vob into a sub other than SE, so I have to use Wine/Crossover/etc.

If I can't do it by point sync, I don't bother, I won't sync by the video these days when I can do that. Besides if you have to sync by the video don't you have to see the ending or something?

I would be very happy indeed to find software that "point syncs" and is multiplatform. By that, I mean, you sync the first line to the first line of the synced (but in another language) subtitle, then the last and apply so it interpolates.

anon
08-06-2019, 02:42 AM
I would be very happy indeed to find software that "point syncs" and is multiplatform. By that, I mean, you sync the first line to the first line of the synced (but in another language) subtitle, then the last and apply so it interpolates.

Have you tried Aegisub? I don't know if it can actually do this, but it's a fairly advanced program so I'd be surprised if it couldn't.

gerinhocaixa
08-06-2019, 03:49 AM
I have... So far I use Aegisub only for offsetting subtitles entirely, as it takes much less long to load than Subtitle Edit (which is inside a wineskin along with .net and a whole bunch of stuff), but it can't do that. And apparently, it also can't set first and last subtitles and interpolate from that, like Subtitle Workshop (another one from windows).

Haven't had luck with Jubler either. I have gotten used to waiting a bit to load the whole wineskin bundle to fire up Subtitle Edit. Apparently, the Mac is kind of poor in subtitle editors.

I might give Aegisub another try some other day, but if these features are there, they are quite well hidden.

niplips
09-12-2019, 11:17 PM

thanks. I'll give it a try.

shaina
09-13-2019, 12:26 AM

Have you tried Aegisub? I don't know if it can actually do this, but it's a fairly advanced program so I'd be surprised if it couldn't.

Since most of the things i download are in "MKV" format i use "MKVToolNIX", it is easy and basically3 clicks and it is done. And i didn't read back if someone suggested this program or not but it is good both to add and to remove subs if you want......

anon
09-13-2019, 06:25 AM
MKVToolNix can do basic subtitle work - complete retiming and stretching. If that's all you need, then it's certainly an alternative.

With that said, all of the options mentioned thus far were likely made under the assumption of wanting to archive a copy of the video that has good subtitles. For stuff that you're going to watch once and then delete, using the subtitle delay setting in your media player of choice is the fastest way.

In the case I mentioned in post #4, the original files came from a torrent I wanted to keep seeding and I didn't want to use up extra space with duplicates, so demuxing the subs and editing them was the only way.

shaina
09-13-2019, 06:51 AM
In the case I mentioned in post #4, the original files came from a torrent I wanted to keep seeding and I didn't want to use up extra space with duplicates, so demuxing the subs and editing them was the only way.

In between watching the A Team and trying to read this, i understand the seeding where does the space with duplicates come in?? Are you saying for us layman's ,that it was 2 separate files and you wanted to merge them so you only have to seed one file:), and if it was multiple subs?? Again if it was an MKV format you can add/merge multiple anything you want no??

There could be multiple uploads of say movies or shows but as long as the length of them are the same usually i find the subs work and are in sync. my go to is usually subscene.com or opensubtitles.org and either i just rename the files the same and UMS (universal media player), auto plays them or i can force them in a option mode. I actually just recently started to merge them together, and i use the Tool to remove other languages or full subs, because i never use them.. And a few times which is a real pain in the ass!!!, i open the srt file and edit it so it only has the non English speaking parts if i can't find one..
Do you have other places to find Subs Anon??

anon
09-13-2019, 08:38 PM
In between watching the A Team and trying to read this, i understand the seeding where does the space with duplicates come in?? Are you saying for us layman's ,that it was 2 separate files and you wanted to merge them so you only have to seed one file:), and if it was multiple subs?? Again if it was an MKV format you can add/merge multiple anything you want no??

Altering the original files and seeding the torrent were mutually exclusive, because doing the former would have changed their size and hash, and my torrent client wouldn't have recognized them anymore. This left the choice of either remuxing the movie to a duplicate with proper subtitle delay using MKVToolNix, or extracting the subs from the MKV, retiming them and keeping them as separate .srt files. Since I didn't want to waste disk space and my media player prefers external subtitles over built-in ones, I did the latter.

Do you have other places to find Subs Anon??

I can definitely recommend podnapisi.net.