PDA

View Full Version : A New Subheading For The Lounge

UKMan
11-26-2003, 01:52 PM
I was thinking a new sub-heading for the lounge might be appropriate. It seems that many n00bs/newbies are intimidated by the lounge in the fact that only the regulars frequent it - at least 90% of the time. Even though this is great in itself, i would like to see more n00bs come in.

Therefore i suggest renaming the sub-heading to:

Lounge.
You may talk about anything here. Newbies especially welcome.

It might not seem so obvious, but i know for a fact that many are intimidated by the intimacy of the lounge. We need more new faces there ;)

Peace
UKMan

Rappy
11-26-2003, 02:00 PM
yea
i think we do need more faces less falmeing may help and mabe stop calling them noobs :lol:

pusher
11-26-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by RapFan@26 November 2003 - 14:00
yea
i think we do need more faces less falmeing may help and mabe stop calling them noobs :lol:
:lol:

I agree though. More people would start posting more if they knew how casual the lounge is.
But maybe a message more subtle? Like:

Lounge
You may talk about anything in here. Just jump in head first. :unsure:

Just a suggestion. :)

Honey
11-26-2003, 02:06 PM
being one of the "newbies" UK.. you are very right.. :)

if i hadnt already known Andie, Ella, cowsy, ang, BD and Jonno... i wouldn't have come in and posted at all...

and it is hard those first few days especially when you're finding your feet..

heck what am i saying... a week later and its still not that easy... :huh:

Rappy
11-26-2003, 02:10 PM
well my first days in the lounge weren't good ones i was being flamed,insulted,harassed,and called a noob like more times than i can count
mabe if we stopped that the new members would post there more

AussieSheila
11-26-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Ozbabe@27 November 2003 - 00:06
being one of the "newbies" UK.. you are very right.. :)

if i hadnt already known Andie, Ella, cowsy, ang, BD and Jonno... i wouldn't have come in and posted at all...

and it is hard those first few days especially when you're finding your feet..

heck what am i saying... a week later and its still not that easy... :huh:
:o SPLUTTER!!!!!

There goes the freaking monitor again!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

DarthInsinuate
11-26-2003, 02:17 PM
i agree with UKMan, the lounge is a nice place but its scary taking the first step

i'm not entirely sure about "Newbies especially welcome" though - maybe something along the lines of "please introduce yourself" or "don't be afraid to post" or "everyone is welcome, except netwiser"

Benno
11-26-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by DarthInsinuate@26 November 2003 - 15:17
"everyone is welcome, except netwiser"
:lol:

lets take this :lol:

Illuminati
11-26-2003, 03:04 PM
Yep - An idea might be to create the area as an area for newbies to post in where the rules would dictate that others cannot do the (apparently) fine art of n00b-bashing in the "newbie's area". It gives new members a place to gain confidence and look around the forums to get more used to the community. :)

If it helps clear out or move a lot of the conflict and/or the repeatedly asked questions, I'm all for it :D

UKMan
11-26-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Illuminati@26 November 2003 - 16:04
Yep - An idea might be to create the area as an area for newbies to post in where the rules would dictate that others cannot do the (apparently) fine art of n00b-bashing in the "newbie's area". It gives new members a place to gain confidence and look around the forums to get more used to the community. :)

If it helps clear out or move a lot of the conflict and/or the repeatedly asked questions, I'm all for it :D
Thats also a very good suggestion. As you say, it would prepare the real new members for what to expect and how to deal with it. Sounds very complicated, but dosnt have to be.

BD was on the same lines.

This is what i want anyway, new members to not only post questions, but hang out with the regulars.

I have a few PM's from people who have been frightened away, but because of a kind word have at least sent a thank you.

Peace
UKMan

PS: would be great if a mod/admin could also input here with some ideas ;)

ang3968
11-26-2003, 04:04 PM
posted this in the lounge... just repeating it here...

n00bs do get flamed... and that will always happen unfortunately

a better welcome might entice them into the lounge but they wont stay if they are not made to feel comfortable.... I know I was confident only cos I came in with a group... if I had ventured in here on my own I'm not sure I would have stayed long....

maybe an area pinned at the top of the lounge for new people to post would help??
somewhere for them to say their first 'hello I'm.... '

7thElement
11-26-2003, 04:20 PM
changed to make new users feel welcome :)

UKMan
11-26-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by 7thElement@26 November 2003 - 17:20
Many thx 7th - lets see the reactions to that - it looks more inviting anyways :lol:
This topic is still being heavily discussed in the lounge :P

Peace
UKMan

DanB
11-26-2003, 07:02 PM
I agree wholeheartedly with that UKMan and its good to see that someone has listened too :D

Spindulik
11-27-2003, 04:50 AM
Lounge.
You may talk about anything here. Well, um except for a few things, like direct links, extreme pron, flaming, anything that that isn't allowed, etc... Newbies especially welcome.

Adster
11-27-2003, 05:25 AM
Lounge
Talk about how big your dick is, sex and for hijacking threads with irrelevant material, mainly for posting crap here!

Worthless
11-27-2003, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by Adster@27 November 2003 - 05:25
Lounge
Talk about how big your dick is, sex and for hijacking threads with irrelevant material, mainly for posting crap here!
i donno if that would work because thats basically whats in all the other forums :P

7thElement
11-27-2003, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by Adster@27 November 2003 - 05:25
Lounge
Adster,

I am open minded but I also think that this is getting a bit too far since "About our website and forum" is the first impression that a new user gets.

If you like to talk this way do so in the lounge in related topics but this is not ok at this place.

I do understand jokes but I also want to keep information sections clean.

AussieSheila
11-27-2003, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by 7thElement@27 November 2003 - 02:20
:) Good change, now we just have to work on a few attitudes.

:huh: :P :D

Worthless
11-27-2003, 08:02 AM
u guys are mean :(

internet.news
11-27-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by UKMan@26 November 2003 - 14:52
I was thinking a new sub-heading for the lounge might be appropriate. It seems that many n00bs/newbies are intimidated by the lounge in the fact that only the regulars frequent it - at least 90% of the time. Even though this is great in itself, i would like to see more n00bs come in.

Lounge.

It might not seem so obvious, but i know for a fact that many are intimidated by the intimacy of the lounge. We need more new faces there ;)

Peace
UKMan
I think "The Lounge" is ok, as same as Lounge.

I would leave it at "The Lounge", but if you think New Users may think
it is an erotic forum? if you mean that, you can change it...

I did not for myself combine "The Lounge" with "SEX" - Where did
you get this imagination?

UKMan
11-28-2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by internet.news+27 November 2003 - 23:05--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (internet.news @ 27 November 2003 - 23:05)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-UKMan@26 November 2003 - 14:52

Lounge.

It might not seem so obvious, but i know for a fact that many are intimidated by the intimacy of the lounge. We need more new faces there&nbsp; ;)

Peace
UKMan
I think "The Lounge" is ok, as same as Lounge.

I would leave it at "The Lounge", but if you think New Users may think
it is an erotic forum? if you mean that, you can change it...

I did not for myself combine "The Lounge" with "SEX" - Where did
you get this imagination? [/b][/quote]
What are you talking about?????
Nobody mentioned sex - nobody mentioned changing the name of "Lounge" - read again please&#33;&#33;

Adster
11-28-2003, 01:47 AM
sorry i just keep my mouth shut from now on......

Nightwolf
11-29-2003, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by UKMan@26 November 2003 - 08:52
Lounge.

I thought we were supposed to call them Newcomers, because Newbies is too derogatory. :unsure:

J'Pol
11-29-2003, 12:19 AM
Should I stop using the term n00b.

Will that annoy people, coz I don&#39;t want to do that.

clocker
11-29-2003, 12:49 AM
There is an ill wind blowing, methinks.

If "nOOb" becomes unacceptable, can "wOOt" be far behind?

Darth Sushi
11-29-2003, 12:55 AM
All n00bs must wear Fire-Retardant Underwear while visiting the Lounge. ;)

Yogi
11-29-2003, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by Darth Sushi@29 November 2003 - 02:55
Or no underwear at all..........

Yogi-WhoLikesSushisInsightsOnToothlessBlowjobs

bigboab
11-29-2003, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by Darth Sushi@29 November 2003 - 00:55
Surely, not shirley&#33; The answer would be to remove newcomer from the members title. Then no one would know if they are new or just returning. Just look at mine. I am a &#39;Newcomer&#39; yet I have nearly 2000 posts in the lounge. If some unsuspecting, actual newcomer was to attack me, well heaven help them. :P

Except you SG. I eagerly await your assault in the summertime. :rolleyes: