PDA

View Full Version : Lounge Lizards Please Read....

UKMan
11-26-2003, 01:56 PM
I made a post:
http://klboard.ath.cx/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=84167

Please read and give your comments. Its a subject very close to me and i think deserves more attention.

Peace
UKMan

bigboab
11-26-2003, 01:59 PM
Yes I definately need a new face UK. :lol: Come to think of it a new body would not go amiss. ;)

UKMan
11-26-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by bigboab@26 November 2003 - 14:59
Yes I definately need a new face UK. :lol: Come to think of it a new body would not go amiss. ;)
Errm - maybe i worded it wrong :blink:

AussieSheila
11-26-2003, 02:07 PM
:rolleyes: Well, I agree to both of the above... it's taken months for all our friends to settle in here. (pic BB?) :P

;) See? You finally have Honey! :lol: How many more 'Honeys' are not game to stick around long enough to post here?

:angry: Stop hasslin' the nOObies!

:)

Rappy
11-26-2003, 02:08 PM
read my post in the topic ;)

Riddler
11-26-2003, 02:10 PM
That's not a bad idea UKMan. We could even post some welcoming smilies to show them we're really easy to get along with. I'll provide a couple of my favourites........

http://www.jeffpylenz.com/Web%20animations/FLUKE.gifhttp://www.emotipad.com/emoticons/Whip.gif

:D

Honey
11-26-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by AussieSheila@26 November 2003 - 22:07
:rolleyes: Well, I agree to both of the above... it's taken months for all our friends to settle in here. (pic BB?) :P

;) See? You finally have Honey! :lol: How many more 'Honeys' are not game to stick around long enough to post here?

:angry: Stop hasslin' the nOObies!

Andie hon... you and i know that if it hadnt been for you in particular.. i wouldnt have even poked my head in the door.. :huh:

it can be really intimidating.... and as i said in the thread UK posted.. its still not that easy a week down the track... :)

though its getting better... ;)

Billy_Dean
11-26-2003, 02:14 PM
I think there should be a whole area for nOObs. Give them somewhere to talk to each other for a month before they venture out onto the big board for good. Don't let anyone in who's been here for more than a month. Base it on their sign-up date, after one month they can't access the area any more. They can still access the rest of the board during the month, but will have other nOObs to talk to and gain confidence.

UKMan
11-26-2003, 02:14 PM
Hmmm - this is gonna be tough :unsure:
I'm not gonna give up though :D

Peace
UKMan

cowswithguns
11-26-2003, 02:15 PM
*chuckles* at Ozbabe........but you were a special nOOb hon ;)

UKMan
11-26-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Billy_Dean@26 November 2003 - 15:14
I think there should be a whole area for nOObs. Give them somewhere to talk to each other for a month before they venture out onto the big board for good. Don't let anyone in who's been here for more than a month. Base it on their sign-up date, after one month they can't access the area any more. They can still access the rest of the board during the month, but will have other nOObs to talk to and gain confidence.

If i remember correctly, a similar idea like that was suggested way back. Its not THAT bad an idea actually ;)

AussieSheila
11-26-2003, 02:16 PM
UKMan! You blew it for me! I posted in your bloody thread and it's a real post, I'm not on 69 anymore!

aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UKMan
11-26-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by AussieSheila@26 November 2003 - 15:16
UKMan! You blew it for me! I posted in your bloody thread and it's a real post, I'm not on 69 anymore!

aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
n00bs - :lol: :lol: :lol:

You'll allways be a 69 to me Andie :P

cowswithguns
11-26-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Billy_Dean@27 November 2003 - 00:14
I think there should be a whole area for nOObs.  Give them somewhere to talk to each other for a month before they venture out onto the big board for good. Don't let anyone in who's been here for more than a month.  Base it on their sign-up date, after one month they can't access the area any more.  They can still access the rest of the board during the month, but will have other nOObs to talk to and gain confidence.

Great idea BD but you'd have to make sure the regular lounge lizards didn't venture into there and cause havoc............. :rolleyes:

Edit: Ooops..maybe I should've read BD's post slowly....I guess access would be restricted for the regulars :">

Yogi
11-26-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by UKMan+26 November 2003 - 16:15--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (UKMan @ 26 November 2003 - 16:15)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Billy_Dean@26 November 2003 - 15:14
I think there should be a whole area for nOObs.&nbsp; Give them somewhere to talk to each other for a month before they venture out onto the big board for good. Don&#39;t let anyone in who&#39;s been here for more than a month.&nbsp; Base it on their sign-up date, after one month they can&#39;t access the area any more.&nbsp; They can still access the rest of the board during the month, but will have other nOObs to talk to and gain confidence.

If i remember correctly, a similar idea like that was suggested way back. Its not THAT bad an idea actually ;) [/b][/quote]
I totally support the idea of BD&#33;&#33;&#33;

Yogi

AussieSheila
11-26-2003, 02:22 PM
http://www.chinkii.com/uploads/album/misc/crybaby.gif

cowswithguns
11-26-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by AussieSheila@27 November 2003 - 00:22
http://www.chinkii.com/uploads/album/misc/crybaby.gif
Don&#39;t cry Sheila....you&#39;ll always be a 69 in spirit :D

AussieSheila
11-26-2003, 02:31 PM
:lol: Don&#39;t you love the way we jump on to a thread titled lounge lizards? ;)

:rolleyes: I&#39;m ok now, can&#39;t believe I did it, I have the alter ego for such situations&#33;

:P

pol
11-26-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Billy_Dean@26 November 2003 - 14:14
I think there should be a whole area for nOObs.&nbsp; Give them somewhere to talk to each other for a month before they venture out onto the big board for good. Don&#39;t let anyone in who&#39;s been here for more than a month.&nbsp; Base it on their sign-up date, after one month they can&#39;t access the area any more.&nbsp; They can still access the rest of the board during the month, but will have other nOObs to talk to and gain confidence.

thats a joke right :huh:

what you would be trying to accomplish, ie bring people &#39;out of their shell&#39; or &#39; give confidence&#39; etc can be done just as well in here as anywhere. peoples characters would emerge just the same, some funny, some aggressive, some ....

if i visited a board for the first time to find that i had to go through some kind of nursey stage before i could join in with the big boys id be like....&#39;f*ck that&#39;

if people want to post then they post, whats the big deal. and how do you qualify as a n00b, this is supposed to be a forum about filesharing / computers etc. - if i joined when i did and someone joined today it doesnt mean i know more or are more qualified to make posts about software / whatever

Yogi
11-26-2003, 02:36 PM
Edit: Forget my remark here.

No intention bashing UKmans idea.

His intention is very good.

Sorry, Ukman.

Yogi

Billy_Dean
11-26-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by pol@26 November 2003 - 23:32

what you would be trying to accomplish, ie bring people &#39;out of their shell&#39; or &#39; give confidence&#39; etc can be done just as well in here as anywhere. peoples characters would emerge just the same, some funny, some aggressive, some ....

if i visited a board for the first time to find that i had to go through some kind of nursey stage before i could join in with the big boys id be like....&#39;f*ck that&#39;

if people want to post then they post, whats the big deal. and how do you qualify as a n00b, this is supposed to be a forum about filesharing / computers etc. - if i joined when i did and someone joined today it doesnt mean i know more or are more qualified to make posts about software / whatever
Why don&#39;t you read the fucking post before you spout off and make yourself look stupid&#33; No-one said it should be compulsary.

UKMan
11-26-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by SensualGardening@26 November 2003 - 15:36
In additio to BD&#39;s idea:

Noobs coming from KinderGarten should pass a LoungeLizzard-exam&#33;&#33;&#33;

Yogi-StillNoob
You dont have to rub it in you dont like my idea SG <_<

I was hoping for some genuine comments and suggestions. As usuall, lizards are not to be trusted.

Some of you obviously have not the slightest idea of what im talking about. Im very well aware that newbies or anyone else for that matter can just jump in anywhere on this site and post - and rightly so.

BUT - my trusty lizards, the lounge is somewhat different in that its a place to get to know people, settle down and just generally have fun. BUT, and this is a fact, a LOT of new members ARE VERY intimidated because this place is frequented for the most by regulars.

I want new faces in here to bring new life and new content to this room.

Thats all im suggesting. One way to accomplish this would be some sort of title to show that at least in this room thay are very welcome to come in, siot down and join in without the risk of being jumped on and flamed at the first word.

Now if you guys cant understand that, then dont bother - the ones that do bother or care will help out.

Peace
UKMan

cowswithguns
11-26-2003, 02:59 PM
I&#39;m sure a heap of nOObs would be daunted by the Lounge...I know I was when I first arrived...still am to a certain extent&#33;

Some people are natural extroverts and make friends easily whereas the shyer ones often hold back for fear of being flamed.

I think anything that helps newbies settle in is welcome. :)

pol
11-26-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Billy_Dean+26 November 2003 - 14:49--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Billy_Dean &#064; 26 November 2003 - 14:49)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-pol@26 November 2003 - 23:32

Why don&#39;t you read the fucking post before you spout off and make yourself look stupid&#33; No-one said it should be compulsary.

:)[/b][/quote]
what are you talking about, compulsory ?

I think there should be a whole area for nOObs. Give them somewhere to talk to each other for a month before they venture out onto the big board for good. Don&#39;t let anyone in who&#39;s been here for more than a month. Base it on their sign-up date, after one month they can&#39;t access the area any more. They can still access the rest of the board during the month, but will have other nOObs to talk to and gain confidence.

where in that piece of piss does it say you have a choice ?

you posted a stupid idea, and i replied with what i thought of that stupid idea.

and learn to spell before you call someone stupid

AussieSheila
11-26-2003, 03:01 PM
:) I Care (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=70979)

Billy_Dean
11-26-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by pol@27 November 2003 - 00:00

you posted a stupid idea, and i replied with what i thought of that stupid idea.

They can still access the rest of the board during the month, but will have other nOObs to talk to and gain confidence.

This bit stupid, or can&#39;t you read English?

Yogi
11-26-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by UKMan+26 November 2003 - 16:49--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (UKMan @ 26 November 2003 - 16:49)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-SensualGardening@26 November 2003 - 15:36

Yogi-StillNoob

[/b][/quote]
Fixed it.

Yogi

MediaSlayer
11-26-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Billy_Dean+26 November 2003 - 14:49--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Billy_Dean @ 26 November 2003 - 14:49)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-pol@26 November 2003 - 23:32

:) [/b][/quote]
showing your true colors, eh Billy? ;)

but wait, i must have overlooked something. even if you were&#39;nt allowed in an area based on your sign-up date, what about proxies? am i missing something? multiple accounts? changed netblocks?

pol
11-26-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Billy_Dean+26 November 2003 - 15:05--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Billy_Dean &#064; 26 November 2003 - 15:05)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-pol@27 November 2003 - 00:00

They can still access the rest of the board during the month, but will have other nOObs to talk to and gain confidence.

This bit stupid, or can&#39;t you read English?

lol

well this part, to me, reads like they can access areas but not post..

They can still access the rest of the board during the month, but will have other nOObs to talk to and gain confidence

..as they still have other &#39;n00bs&#39; to talk to so as to "gain cofindence" in themselves before entering the dark & mysterious lounge

ps - please stop calling me stupid billy boy as it really is too much to bare, and we cant all be geniuses and come up with great ideas for the board like yourself :(

i look forward to seeing the new section of the board totally devoted to "n00bs" :lol:

JONNO_CELEBS
11-26-2003, 03:32 PM
Well considering I on&#39;t come in the Lounge much I should&#39;nt be reading this :blink:

I have stated before that the way Newbies are welcomed is&#39;nt always good, it depends largly on the way they introduce themselfs, I remember one guy came in, started a new thread and just posted.......

"I&#39;m new...........wazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzup"

At which point everybody ignored that fact he was new and took the piss for saying "Wazzzzzzzzzzzup", he got flamed and left within an hour, so there are 2 sides to the story

1= Introduce yourself as a normal person and just say hi

2= The regulars should not yake the piss out of n00bs

A seperate room I don&#39;t think would be the answer, it would just end up a seperate Lounge, when would they leave it, they would find their own little group and stick with it.

Thats my opinion anyway :)

Jonno B)

UKMan
11-26-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by SensualGardening+26 November 2003 - 16:06--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SensualGardening @ 26 November 2003 - 16:06)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by UKMan@26 November 2003 - 16:49
<!--QuoteBegin-SensualGardening@26 November 2003 - 15:36

Yogi-StillNoob

Fixed it.

Yogi [/b][/quote]
Thx - i dont mind if you have other ideas - as long as you post &#39;em here bro.
This is a very important subject, for me at least.

I even like some of the ideas that BD had. Every input is important here as long as it goes forward.

Peace
UKMan

Yogi
11-26-2003, 03:40 PM
Thx - i dont mind if you have other ideas - as long as you post &#39;em here bro.
This is a very important subject, for me at least.

I don&#39;t have another idea. I actually like yours and BD&#39;s.

I just was trying to be funny at the wrong time/place.

That&#39;s why i corrected.

Yogi

Billy_Dean
11-26-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by pol@27 November 2003 - 00:31

I accept your apology, just be more careful in future, read the posts.

pol
11-26-2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Billy_Dean+26 November 2003 - 15:42--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Billy_Dean &#064; 26 November 2003 - 15:42)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-pol@27 November 2003 - 00:31

I accept your apology, just be more careful in future, read the posts.

hehe - take it how you will but it was no apology ;)

try to be a little clearer in future and we should all get along just loverly in n00bland :)

Billy_Dean
11-26-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by pol@27 November 2003 - 00:45
Thanx Billy, I&#39;ll try and lift my game.
No probs.

ang3968
11-26-2003, 03:50 PM
n00bs do get flamed... and that will always happen unfortunately

a better welcome might entice them into the lounge but they wont stay if they are not made to feel comfortable.... I know I was confident only cos I came in with a group... if I had ventured in here on my own I&#39;m not sure I would have stayed long....

maybe an area pinned at the top of the lounge for new people to post would help??
somewhere for them to say their first &#39;hello I&#39;m.... &#39;

MediaSlayer
11-26-2003, 04:00 PM
good idea, some members what not bother to click the pinned topic, but it&#39;s still a good idea

pol
11-26-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Billy_Dean+26 November 2003 - 15:47--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Billy_Dean &#064; 26 November 2003 - 15:47)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-pol@27 November 2003 - 00:45
Thanx Billy, I&#39;ll try and lift my game.
No probs.

lol@billy

i want to do my part too

http://server4.uploadit.org/files/261103-billy.jpg

Billy_Dean
11-26-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by pol@27 November 2003 - 01:00
I want to do my part too, so mommie&#39;s given me the money to start my own site. Me gonna be a mod.

http://server4.uploadit.org/files/261103-billy.jpg

Well done POL, can I be a mod too?

pol
11-26-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Billy_Dean@26 November 2003 - 16:04
Well done POL, can I be a mod too?

you have me all wrong billy, i wouldnt do it for your money :)

Honey
11-26-2003, 04:13 PM
okay... jumping into the fray... coz im like that...

BD.. luv ya heaps... but i dont think your idea is a good one... sorry hon... i think angs is much better&#33;

like i said earlier if it hadnt been for knowing you lot there is NO way i would have posted... not even in a newbie room... which btw... i find a little ummm nasty to be called... it makes me feel like ive got something contagious&#33;... :(

the thread set up for me by shared was a great idea.. it let me stay in my own little space without venturing out unless i wanted to... a NEWCOMER intro thread would be nice... :)

Billy_Dean
11-26-2003, 04:24 PM
It doesn&#39;t matter where you put a thread, if the idiots on this board are allowed in they will flame and abuse. Saying be nice to them is so naive it doesn&#39;t warrant thinking about. Look at the very early threads on the forum, from last year even, it&#39;s always been a problem, and it won&#39;t go away. There are supposedly 55,000 + members, where are they? The truth is, most members don&#39;t come back, and plenty of them have told us why. Honey, you had a whole bunch of friends here before you signed up, and friends of friends who posted in that thread, that&#39;s not the reality for most people. I still think they should be given an area of their own, to use if they wish. Somewhere they are able to tell each other of their experiences, and ask questions without being told to read the fucking FAQ.

SniperInTheShadows
11-26-2003, 04:35 PM
I&#39;m a &#39;newbie&#39; (Soz for using this word Honey but i&#39;m being specific so everyone know&#39;s what i&#39;m on about) in a sense given that i&#39;ve only really been very active on the board for the last few week&#39;s, but i&#39;ve got an idea that could work -

A &#39;newbie&#39; room where they can post what they like, but they&#39;re limited to posting in that room for a week/few week&#39;s/month (meaning unable to post outside of the room unless they talk to a mod/friend who then talk&#39;s to a mod and their status is changed), but in order to help them out the room is moderated by a few of the more knowledgeable peep&#39;s who have been here a while and would be willing to do that in order to help them with their question&#39;s. They would be able to view the other section&#39;s of the board, it would help as they could possibly find answer&#39;s that way (it would possibly encourage them to do that more than just posting a question without even looking), but unable to post in any other sections.

It doesn&#39;t have to work exactly like that, it&#39;s just an idea that could do with a little work on detail&#39;s etc :)

That&#39;s my 2 cent&#39;s on this :)

Sniper.

EDIT : I finished a sentence unfinished lol

UKMan
11-26-2003, 04:38 PM
Keep these ideas coming people - the sub-title has been changed anyways to try to be a bit more inviting ;) Whether they stay or not, is another story - but its a start.

Peace
UKMan

Honey
11-26-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Billy_Dean@27 November 2003 - 00:24
Honey, you had a whole bunch of friends here before you signed up, and friends of friends who posted in that thread, that&#39;s not the reality for most people. I still think they should be given an area of their own, to use if they wish. Somewhere they are able to tell each other of their experiences, and ask questions without being told to read the fucking FAQ.

my point exactly BD... i said if it hadnt been for you guys i would have hightailed it out of here for sure... day 1...

i mean even I tried to read the FAQ and lost my way in there too... honestly i felt so stupid making my first post regarding profiles... :(

SniperInTheShadows
11-26-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Ozbabe@26 November 2003 - 16:51
my point exactly BD... i said if it hadnt been for you guys i would have hightailed it out of here for sure... day 1...

i mean even I tried to read the FAQ and lost my way in there too... honestly i felt so stupid making my first post regarding profiles... :(
You tried reading them though :)

I only found out about a month ago how to change the bit of text under my avatar, and that was only because I read a post about it lol So there&#39;s alway&#39;s going to be question&#39;s that even peep&#39;s who have been here a while might come up with :)

Well, i&#39;m going bed soon so night all, be naughty and i&#39;ll speak to ya all later ;) :)

Night Ozbabe Honey :wub: :*

Sniper.

Honey
11-26-2003, 05:07 PM
i asked the question Sniper babe, coz i couldnt do what the FAQ&#39;s said... and i was getting frustrated with it all.. :)

anyways... nite nite hon... catch up with you tomorrow or in the morning or something... :wub:

namzuf9
11-26-2003, 05:13 PM
How about a n00b room moderated by Funky Carpicorn, he&#39;s real good at breaking them in&#33; Well he took my cherry anyway (so to speak)

Seriously though it doesnt matter how long you&#39;ve been here people can be dicks and will continue to be so.
But us lounge lizards are great people with a strange sense of humour so maybe we should just have a pinned explaining that when we take the piss its just for fun :)

I think maybe a lounge sub forum with the heading "introduce yourself" would be nice (I&#39;m not sure if some one suggested this before, cant be arsed to read back)

UKMan
11-26-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by namzuf9@26 November 2003 - 18:13
How about a n00b room moderated by Funky Carpicorn, he&#39;s real good at breaking them in&#33; Well he took my cherry anyway (so to speak)

Seriously though it doesnt matter how long you&#39;ve been here people can be dicks and will continue to be so.
But us lounge lizards are great people with a strange sense of humour so maybe we should just have a pinned explaining that when we take the piss its just for fun :)

I think maybe a lounge sub forum with the heading "introduce yourself" would be nice (I&#39;m not sure if some one suggested this before, cant be arsed to read back)
sub-title allready changed - now you dont have to scroll up :lol:

namzuf9
11-26-2003, 05:56 PM
I&#39;m slow today :rolleyes:

I.am
11-26-2003, 07:06 PM
Sorry I didnt read all the 4 pages obviously but i read the original in About Our Website and Forum.

Just have me 2 cents to add in.

People seem to take pride in bashing the new members. They seem to think they are senior as compared to others. I dont know what joy it gives them only spoils their image in front of other members.

First of all, we need to stop calling New Members expressions "noobs" or "newbies" indicating that they dont know anything about the forum or whatever. When you joined in you were new then. If I have had a welcome like someone calling me "noob" etc. and laughing on my posts. i would have left the forum coz i wasnt welcome. Luckily, I started posting in a place where I knew what was going on more than the majority.
No one is a born genius, help as much as you can while you welcome them in your own community. And if they turn out to be people like n-e-t-w-e-i-s-e-r kinds kick
their ass off. You will get full support from each single member ;)

Otherwise, the only request is Stop Bashing them. And one more thing, just because some posted a question in the lounge it doesnt mean you can ridicule them and laugh at their question and post useless answers. It only reinforces the thought why the decision was made not to increase the Post Count here. Just because one can talk about anything here doesnt mean you reply nonsense.

I am not pointing at anyone, just bringing something to light. Although, I do visit lounge every once in a while to get my laughs ;) and trust me this is more effective then the Funny Section :D

I dont know what i said above. Hope it makes sense.

DanB
11-26-2003, 07:23 PM
Just thought that I&#39;d add when I first started using here there was a bit of bashing but luckily nothing like the scale it is now <_< I mean if anything I found the lounge to be the first place I came :lol:

I&#39;m pretty sure we have all asked silly questions or asked someone the answer to something instead of looking it up ourself? I know I do at work :lol:

We&#39;ve all got ideas and we should listen to them all and not fly off the handle. Come on we are talking in a thread about how to make the lounge more welcoming and there&#39;s bad feeling in here&#33;&#33; What kind of an example does that set :blink: :blink:

Edit - still can&#39;t remember to proofread :rolleyes:

J'Pol
11-26-2003, 08:46 PM
How many people who come here for the first time are actually new to internet forums. I have no way of knowing, however I would think that proportionately it is a small number.

It just seems more sensible that, for the majority of new people, they actually have visited other forums before finding their way here.

If that is the case, then I doubt that they leave or fail to post because they are intimidated. They will be aware of forum politics, because in all honesty they will have seen it elsewhere.

A Poll would clarify whether or not this was the first forum for the members here. Though I doubt it would achieve anything.

Bottom line, I don&#39;t think most people fail to post or leave quickly because they feel intimidated.

fugley
11-26-2003, 08:55 PM
This is my first forum experience&#33;

I have gathered that it is one of the better ones so I don&#39;t see the need to look further.

J'Pol
11-26-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by fugley@26 November 2003 - 21:55
This is my first forum experience&#33;

I have gathered that it is one of the better ones so I don&#39;t see the need to look further.
Do you feel intimidated at all ?

Do you sometimes hold back your thoughts because you fear being flamed ?

Would a room where you could chat with other new people have helped bring you out of your shell a bit earlier ?

Do you intend leaving because of the incessant bashing you have had to endure ?

fugley
11-26-2003, 09:04 PM
Nope but I&#39;m too weird to be delicate. I can imagine some aint so "mentally" robust or do I mean retarded?

J'Pol
11-26-2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by fugley@26 November 2003 - 22:04
Nope but I&#39;m too weird to be delicate. I can imagine some aint so "mentally" robust or do I mean retarded?
I rarely know what you mean, I suspect I am not the only member of that particular club.

MediaSlayer
11-26-2003, 09:10 PM
you need the fugley translator.

look for the hash in the verifieds. ;)

AussieSheila
11-26-2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@27 November 2003 - 06:46
How many people who come here for the first time are actually new to internet forums. I have no way of knowing, however I would think that proportionately it is a small number.

It just seems more sensible that, for the majority of new people, they actually have visited other forums before finding their way here.

If that is the case, then I doubt that they leave or fail to post because they are intimidated. They will be aware of forum politics, because in all honesty they will have seen it elsewhere.

A Poll would clarify whether or not this was the first forum for the members here. Though I doubt it would achieve anything.

Bottom line, I don&#39;t think most people fail to post or leave quickly because they feel intimidated.
:( Well I was intimidated and if it hadn&#39;t been for my friends I wouldn&#39;t have stayed.

I&#39;m Too Scared To Post On This Forum (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=70979)

:) You don&#39;t scare me anymore.

B)

fugley
11-26-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol+26 November 2003 - 21:08--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (J&#39;Pol @ 26 November 2003 - 21:08)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-fugley@26 November 2003 - 22:04
Nope but I&#39;m too weird to be delicate.&nbsp; I can imagine some aint so "mentally" robust or do I mean retarded?
I rarely know what you mean, I suspect I am not the only member of that particular club. [/b][/quote]
That&#39;s it&#33; - I&#39;m miffed now&#33; I knew I should never have joined this clever peoples oranisationonion&#33;&#33; :ph34r:

Ella
11-26-2003, 10:58 PM
Perhaps a separate "Meet and Greet" forum may be a good idea - one for those who not only want to post about filesharing and such, but would like to stick around and chat generally. And I think, given the friendly nature of many posters in here, there would be enough bods around to respond to a post from a n00b introducing themselves and saying hi.

Of course, not all new posters would want to do this, but given the huge number of members KLF has, I&#39;m sure those who wished to say "hi" in a designated area would do so.

And I must say, I was never scared of this place. I&#39;m not really scared of anything. Except clowns..*shudder* :o

AussieSheila
11-26-2003, 11:07 PM
B) Morning Ella&#33; Another board I&#39;ve been to has an "Introduce Yourself forum" and it seems to work really well. They always get welcomed.

:rolleyes:

UKMan
11-26-2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by AussieSheila@27 November 2003 - 00:07
B) Morning Ella&#33; Another forum I&#39;ve been to has an "Introduce Yourself forum" and it seems to work really well. They always get welcomed.

would they welcome me? :)

hello Andie :teehee:

AussieSheila
11-26-2003, 11:18 PM
:) Good morning UKbeenverybusyMan&#33;

(You&#39;ve been exposed in "What&#39;s Wrong With This Picture" just in case you missed it.) :D
:blink: It&#39;s probably not the forum you&#39;re thinking of, we do have a "meet and greet" there. But I&#39;m sure you&#39;d be welcomed at both. :rolleyes:

B)

UKMan
11-26-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by AussieSheila@27 November 2003 - 00:18
:) Good morning UKbeenverybusyMan&#33;

(You&#39;ve been exposed in "What&#39;s Wrong With This Picture" just in case you missed it.) :D
:blink: It&#39;s probably not the forum you&#39;re thinking of, we do have a "meet and greet" there. But I&#39;m sure you&#39;d be welcomed at both. :rolleyes:

B)
Ahh yes, the top 10 for the day - the image is gone now :unsure:
I was&#39;nt thinking of any particular forum, but i know which one you thought i thought :blink: :unsure: wow - my head hurts&#33;&#33;

Yepp - been a busy bee t&#39;day - managed to get the Lounge sub-title changed so it looks more friendly - not that it is mind you :lol:

Peace
UKMan

AussieSheila
11-27-2003, 12:10 AM
:rolleyes: Well it does look friendlier&#33; ;)

I&#39;m looking for a Swedish pic for Scavenger Hunt. You should have a go at it.

B)

Ella
11-27-2003, 12:31 AM
What about a "Pinned" Meet and Greet thread up there with the mirc one? That would work&#33; :D

UKMan
11-27-2003, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by AussieSheila@27 November 2003 - 01:10
:rolleyes: Well it does look friendlier&#33; ;)

I&#39;m looking for a Swedish pic for Scavenger Hunt. You should have a go at it.

B)
heres one for ya Andie:
What is this and which town is it in?
http://w1.542.telia.com/~u54207239/Sv.jpg

Good Luck

Peace
UKMan

Rappy
11-27-2003, 01:43 AM
uh thats werid

hobbes
11-27-2003, 01:43 AM
Proposal by Hobbes

1. A New Arrivals or Introduce Yourself section is a rather standard part of most forums. This is distinct from the General Discussion section.

2. The first experience a person has on a forum, can have quite an influence on their desire to stay. When noobs come to the general lounge and "re-invent the wheel" there, the more senior people sometimes snap because they are tired of the same old questions and telling people to read the fucking FAQ.

3. The Arrival section would allow these rookies to get these awkward first posts out of the way in a forgiving environment, learn how to post on an online forum, and get to observe the lounge, as they learn the interpersonal "dynamics". (oh he&#39;s nice, oh, he&#39;s a joker, what the fuck is BD&#39;s problem, etc.).

4. I think everyone should be allowed to post in any forum at any time. I will probably never enter the Noob section unless I am feeling all warm and fuzzy or something.

5. Any regular who enters there routinely to aggrevate the noobs, will be easily spotted as "a total ass" and will soon be on moderation.

So I propose a Welcome Forum, which can be visited by the regulars who feel altruistic and give noobs a chance to feel comfortable. This will also keep those aggravating noob-type posts out of the lounge.

Rappy
11-27-2003, 01:47 AM
would be nice but ya know 1 step at a time lol half the board would be under moderation if the rule about harassing the noobs was a rule back then including a moderator :lol:

AussieSheila
11-27-2003, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by hobbes@27 November 2003 - 11:43
Proposal by Hobbes

1. A New Arrivals or Introduce Yourself section is a rather standard part of most forums.&nbsp; This is distinct from the General Discussion section.

2. The first experience a person has on a forum, can have quite an influence on their desire to stay.&nbsp; When noobs come to the general lounge and "re-invent the wheel" there, the more senior people sometimes snap because they are tired of the same old questions and telling people to read the fucking FAQ.

3. The Arrival section would allow these rookies to get these awkward first posts out of the way in a forgiving environment, learn how to post on an online forum, and get to observe the lounge, as they learn the interpersonal "dynamics". (oh he&#39;s nice, oh, he&#39;s a joker, what the fuck is BD&#39;s problem, etc.).

4. I think everyone should be allowed to post in any forum at any time.&nbsp; I will probably never enter the Noob section unless I am feeling all warm and fuzzy or something.

5. Any regular who enters there routinely to aggrevate the noobs, will be easily spotted as "a total ass" and will soon be on moderation.

So I propose a Welcome Forum, which can be visited by the regulars who feel altruistic and give noobs a chance to feel comfortable.&nbsp; This will also keep those aggravating noob-type posts out of the lounge.
;) Well that sounds really good Hobbes&#33; I think it could work.

:) Sowwy bout the smilies... can&#39;t seem to help myself. :P

Anyway I need them for these bits.

I will probably never enter the Noob section unless I am feeling all warm and fuzzy or something.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(oh he&#39;s nice, oh, he&#39;s a joker, what the fuck is BD&#39;s problem, etc.).

:lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.chinkii.com/uploads/album/misc/bye2.gif

:) Seriously, sounds good.

UKMan, I put your &#39;what is it&#39; in Guess The Pic B)

Rappy
11-27-2003, 02:00 AM

SniperInTheShadows
11-27-2003, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by Ozbabe@26 November 2003 - 17:07
i asked the question Sniper babe, coz i couldnt do what the FAQ&#39;s said... and i was getting frustrated with it all.. :)

anyways... nite nite hon... catch up with you tomorrow or in the morning or something... :wub:
Hi Honey, i&#39;m up ;) :wub:

Understood about getting frustrated, as its easy to get like that when thing&#39;s don&#39;t work like their ment to :)

Perhap&#39;s when a member has signed up they could be taken directly to a guide to the forum, with a menu which will answer all their questions, and then after they&#39;ve read it (and hopefully bookmarked it) they can move on to the room&#39;s? :)

As for the names &#39;noob&#39; and &#39;newbie&#39;, how about changing them to &#39;boob&#39; and &#39;boobies&#39;, would at least be more of a laugh for the guy&#39;s heh ;) Or, more seriously, something like "Fresher" (as in they&#39;ve not been tainted by all the sex talk yet heh ;)) or something, i&#39;m not really sure as i&#39;ve only been up 5 minutes and it take&#39;s my mind about 5 hour&#39;s to start working slightly lol :P :lol:

Well, i&#39;ve got some waking up to do so i&#39;m going to stop using my mind now as I can already smell bacon cooking, and will just read some threads for now and spam.. I mean reply, yea, that&#39;s what I ment heh ;)... to them in a while (unless I find any that I can&#39;t resist replying to lol) :)

Have a great morning/afternoon/evening/night all wherever you are :)

&#33;Hugs Ozbabe Honey :wub: :* &#33;

Sniper. (Once my eye&#39;s aren&#39;t so blurry still from just waking i&#39;ll look in a mirror to clarify it&#39;s really me lol)

Rappy
11-27-2003, 04:26 AM
:D boobies

AussieSheila
11-27-2003, 04:35 AM
:o Oh shit can we please at least be not PC?

A newbie or a nOObie, I don&#39;t think it&#39;s insulting. It&#39;s descriptive that&#39;s all.

B)

;) And why don&#39;t you boys go and make a thread where you say boobies over and over, alternating with the occasional tits or knockers. You could have a competition to see who can come up with the most names.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Rappy
11-27-2003, 04:43 AM
open it 4 us

AussieSheila
11-27-2003, 04:50 AM
:lol: LMAO&#33; Okay, but it might be a while, I&#39;ve got things to do. But I will, you look out for it.

;)

SniperInTheShadows
11-27-2003, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by AussieSheila@27 November 2003 - 04:35
:o Oh shit can we please at least be not PC?

A newbie or a nOObie, I don&#39;t think it&#39;s insulting. It&#39;s descriptive that&#39;s all.

B)

;) And why don&#39;t you boys go and make a thread where you say boobies over and over, alternating with the occasional tits or knockers. You could have a competition to see who can come up with the most names.

:lol:&nbsp; :lol:&nbsp; :lol:
heh I like your way of thinking ;) Working on it right now heh ;)

Sniper.

EDIT : Done :D :lol: Alternative names for breasts (http://klboard.ath.cx/index.php?act=ST&f=5&t=84313) :D ;)