PDA

View Full Version : Best / Most Useful Extensions For FireFox

MacGyverSG1
05-22-2019, 12:09 AM
FireFox was acting crazy lately, so I did a refresh after a bunch of crashes. Now I have a blank slate to work with. Trying to figure out which extensions and add-ons would be the best to install.

Right now I only have uBlock Origin.

Any suggestions?

Caballero
05-23-2019, 02:16 AM
Ghostery

shaina
05-23-2019, 04:08 AM
Ghostery

Hey Cabby Does it work better than Adblock Plus??

Gribley
05-23-2019, 05:46 AM
Lose the local blockers and do piHole (just google). It is worth it as long as your router can take an alternative DNS server.... OpenWRT ideal but sure many other brand routers support it.

You are then covered regardless of browser or device :)

shaina
05-23-2019, 02:15 PM
Lose the local blockers and do piHole (just google). It is worth it as long as your router can take an alternative DNS server.... OpenWRT ideal but sure many other brand routers support it.

I am sending a reply Gribley before i try your suggestion, i don't use any of those VPN's or other stuff, and my modem/router is one from my ISP. no boosters or nothing..
Will your app still work?? And i use Firefox even know as MacGyver has also said has been a bit quirky lately, but i am not fond of Chrome, that is for the young people to use:lol:

Gribley
05-23-2019, 03:43 PM
As long as you can chose your DNS server (which will now be on your local network) then yes. Run a the little Pi where you want

For you I can setup an image of my running one (there is nothing specific to me in it anyway except root passwd, I will send you my web server separate = again another Pi :)). If your router supports it (DNS thing I mentioned) then just grab an original Pi MK1 (but second addition as the extra 256Mb helps)..... should set you back about $5 and another $5 for a 8Gb MicroSD card. You`ll love it if you want to try.

shaina
05-23-2019, 04:33 PM
As long as you can chose your DNS server (which will now be on your local network) then yes. Run a the little Pi where you want

Ok i am still not getting it, but i think we are talking about different reasons for an add blocker, i am not trying to isolate something buddy, i am just looking for something that blocks unnecessary pop ups or add on links?? Thinking that is what ADblocker's purpose is really needed for??

EG. I have it on all my PC's/Laptops's that access and are used just for surfing the net/websites, not any other reason?? I will read up on what you suggested and see if that is what i am looking for or will better up ADblocker's uses without changing or modifying anything that can fuck up my kids access with there laptops:)..As for my mock server, it is just internal, and never sees the internet or i don't give it access, i manually move things i download to it for screening/watching throughout the house.....

If that makes sense, and thank your for the help/suggestion
Shay

PS. I should add it is nice as always to hear from you buddy, alive and kicking is always a good thing :)

MacGyverSG1
05-23-2019, 11:37 PM

I am using an ASUS RT-AC86U. I'm still using stock firmware, but I plan on installing an Asuswrt-Merlin firmware soon.

But, my post is about extensions for Firefox. I also don't like Chrome (like shaina). I find it buggier than FireFox. I will use Chrome when FireFox has too many problems with a website.

Gribley
05-24-2019, 03:53 AM
I did go off topic I know. It was never a question about ad blockers but I road that train ;) I've no probs sending (well pm to private link) you a pihole image if you want to just try it

I actually like chrome but hey we all remember netscape navigator as well so our time is surely up soon. Oh the memories of using Base64 and uudecode for my newsgroup pleasures.......

shaina
05-24-2019, 04:11 AM
I did go off topic I know. It was never a question about ad blockers but I road that train ;) I've no probs sending (well pm to private link) you a pihole image if you want to just try it

I actually like chrome but hey we all remember netscape navigator as well so our time is surely up soon. Oh the memories of using Base64 and uudecode for my newsgroup pleasures.......

Well the start of my comment was to Cabby about Ghostery which is a blocker type program :), but i will say it is always nice to see you Gribley and your great contributions to try to make my life easier for all of us here:D

You lost me at navigator buddy :lol:, really my kids say without a doubt that Chrome is much more stable than Firefox, and really it seems that every major update on Firefox it is looking more and more of a copy of Chrome:).. And what is even more a hostage!!!, knowing most of the cable and satellite providers are mimicking ITV , and offering multiple connections without the stupidity of having to use a cable box!!! especially on flat screens that have built in tuners that have zero use, and more use of remotes:angry:
Anyways back to my point, Rogers my cable provider and ISP forces you to use Chrome to access there ITV (which they call ignite)!!, Why i have no idea,so i still have to install Chrome on any PC/Laptop that i am going to use to view live tv that i pay for!!!..

Caballero
05-24-2019, 05:50 AM
Ghostery

I use them both; there's no conflict between the two. Ghostery does seem to catch some redirects that slip by Adblock Plus and does seem to work on some websites that make me disable Adblock Plus.

shaina
05-24-2019, 12:51 PM

I use them both; there's no conflict between the two. Ghostery does seem to catch some redirects that slip by Adblock Plus and does seem to work on some websites that make me disable Adblock Plus.

Thanks Cabby, i will install it and check it out;)

anon
05-24-2019, 01:13 PM
i am not fond of Chrome, that is for the young people to use:lol:

Oh, I agree! Pale Moon and ungoogled-chromium forever ;) Pale Moon in particular can run SimpleBlock, which is the best ad blocker addon to have ever existed.

You're going to love this!

https://rn10950.github.io/RetroZillaWeb/

shaina
05-24-2019, 02:05 PM
Oh, I agree! Pale Moon and ungoogled-chromium forever ;) Pale Moon in particular can run SimpleBlock, which is the best ad blocker addon to have ever existed..

What about this Anon??

https://www.howtogeek.com/335712/update-why-you-shouldnt-use-waterfox-pale-moon-or-basilisk/

anon
05-24-2019, 02:29 PM
What about this Anon??

https://www.howtogeek.com/335712/update-why-you-shouldnt-use-waterfox-pale-moon-or-basilisk/

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21626

shaina
05-24-2019, 03:17 PM
What about this Anon??

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21626

Perfect!!, thank you. and will check it out;)

MacGyverSG1
05-26-2019, 02:33 AM
Going to check out Pale Moon.

shaina
05-26-2019, 03:53 AM

I havn't checked it out yet, but i can say without a doubt that Chicken Shit Anon would never steer anyone wrong!!, and he is the Guru Pitka of that shit MacGyver :yup:

anon
05-26-2019, 04:07 AM

For addons, see https://addons.palemoon.org/ and https://legacycollector.org/firefox-addons/index.html. https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/moon-tester-tool/ will let you install those that don't recognize the browser's ID but are otherwise 100% compatible.

I barely know what the "real" Firefox is like anymore. They lost me when they started turning the interface into a Chrome clone, and post-2017 versions were the final nail on the coffin; for the sake of rendering speed (which was always a bit behind Chrome's, mind you), they sacrificed everything else that made it worth using.

Also, the Windows XP port of Pale Moon is the only modern browser that works on that operating system and receives regular updates.

shaina
05-26-2019, 04:34 AM
Also, the Windows XP port of Pale Moon is the only modern browser that works on that operating system and receives regular updates.

Wait i thought i was in the stone age still using Windows 7?? Are you telling me you are still using XP:unsure:

anon
05-26-2019, 08:27 AM
Are you telling me you are still using XP:unsure:

No, but every now and then I get customers with very old computers that want a format and reinstall, and XP is the only option for those.

By the way, Windows 7 was the last sane system Microsoft produced, so welcome to the club ;)

shaina
05-27-2019, 03:36 AM
Are you telling me you are still using XP:unsure:

No, but every now and then I get customers with very old computers that want a format and reinstall, and XP is the only option for those.

By the way, Windows 7 was the last sane system Microsoft produced, so welcome to the club ;)

Actually i have done/cleaned up some vintage pc's/laptops for friends and i am talking dinosaur machines, and i did put windows 7 on them. Yes the difficulty was finding the right drivers and stuff, but most of them i used XP drivers or Vista drivers:whistling, and seemed to get a clean Device Manager (meaning zero conflicts or caution marks). And at least now they could get updates and stuff, and really i didn't notice any slowdowns.....

Just sayin :happy:

I am very happy with Windows 7 easy and i am not a big PC gamer or nothing so internet surfing, Usenet, and really that is about it.......

MacGyverSG1
05-27-2019, 10:32 PM
Windows 10 is finally starting to come along. I play around with it on an old PC. I might make the switch with my main PC in the next 6-12 months.

For addons, see https://addons.palemoon.org/ and https://legacycollector.org/firefox-addons/index.html. https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/moon-tester-tool/ will let you install those that don't recognize the browser's ID but are otherwise 100% compatible.

I barely know what the "real" Firefox is like anymore. They lost me when they started turning the interface into a Chrome clone, and post-2017 versions were the final nail on the coffin; for the sake of rendering speed (which was always a bit behind Chrome's, mind you), they sacrificed everything else that made it worth using.

Thanks, I'll check those out. srrDB extension stopped working with the latest FireFox update. Hope to get that working again.

anon
05-28-2019, 05:53 AM
Actually i have done/cleaned up some vintage pc's/laptops for friends and i am talking dinosaur machines, and i did put windows 7 on them. Yes the difficulty was finding the right drivers and stuff, but most of them i used XP drivers or Vista drivers:whistling, and seemed to get a clean Device Manager (meaning zero conflicts or caution marks). And at least now they could get updates and stuff, and really i didn't notice any slowdowns.....

Our definition of a dinosaur machine may differ :turned:

https://www.driveridentifier.com/

This program helps a great deal with "impossible" drivers. It sometimes even finds versions that are newer than what's listed on the manufacturer's page and/or have been deleted from it.

Windows 10 is finally starting to come along. I play around with it on an old PC. I might make the switch with my main PC in the next 6-12 months.

https://itvision.altervista.org/why-windows-10-sucks.html
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Talk:Windows_10

If you don't mind this, go for it :ninja:

Thanks, I'll check those out. srrDB extension stopped working with the latest FireFox update. Hope to get that working again.

Chances are you will. The vast majority of old-style (XUL and Jetpack) extensions continue to work on Pale Moon and that's one of its strong points.

shaina
05-28-2019, 12:39 PM
Our definition of a dinosaur machine may differ :turned:.

Thanks for the Link Anon, Bookmarked and will check it out, and i assume it is safe:)

MacGyverSG1
05-30-2019, 08:37 PM
Our definition of a dinosaur machine may differ :turned:

https://www.driveridentifier.com/

This program helps a great deal with "impossible" drivers. It sometimes even finds versions that are newer than what's listed on the manufacturer's page and/or have been deleted from it.

https://itvision.altervista.org/why-windows-10-sucks.html
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Talk:Windows_10

If you don't mind this, go for it :ninja:

Chances are you will. The vast majority of old-style (XUL and Jetpack) extensions continue to work on Pale Moon and that's one of its strong points.

Windows 10 is much better now than when it first came out. Some of the reasons why it "sucks" no longer exist or have changed for the better. It's not perfect, but unfortunately Windows 7 is getting long in the tooth. Win 7 still gets everything done that I need/want, but the biggest issue with Win 10 is the spying and Win 7 has that now. There are ways to disable most of the spying in Win 10 (not sure about Win 7).

shaina
05-30-2019, 09:02 PM
Windows 10 is much better now than when it first came out. Some of the reasons why it "sucks" no longer exist or have changed for the better. It's not perfect, but unfortunately Windows 7 is getting long in the tooth. Win 7 still gets everything done that I need/want, but the biggest issue with Win 10 is the spying and Win 7 has that now. There are ways to disable most of the spying in Win 10 (not sure about Win 7).

Windows 7 spying?? For shits and giggles. Knowing you are kind of a conspiracy theorist MacGyver...

What spying is there on Windows 7 that are even close to Windows 10??

And even if you use linux of any name, you could say there is spying on that as well, but not your everyday use like Win 10??

The same with using a anti virus?? Of course they are getting information/feedback on a licensed software that actually you never own you are just borrowing and making life easier to use the Internet or software programs??, Even Firefox is spying on you if you look at it that way??

But Windows 10 is known to monitor everything that you are doing and it is very difficult to block it the way they designed the software.. Example...
Xbox X or Xbox 360 operating system is now based on Windows 10, and they can communicate with a PC , did you ever read the signup agreement in full when you us Xbox Live??. They are constantly monitoring all the system for anomalies, and other things, and they can do it any time they want, as long as a PC or Microsoft products are connected to the Internet!!!
But Wn 7 vs Win 10, and how the operating system relies more on the internet?? Win 7 has always been less thinking there is less connection to any Microsoft servers??
So my thinking?? Where is the spying on Win 7 vs Win 10 ever be close??

Just sayin and my opinion MacGyver;)

MacGyverSG1
05-30-2019, 11:17 PM
I'm not a conspiracy theorist. I believe in facts.

But, Win 7 does have telemetry stuff that was added after Win 10 was released. Obviously Win 10 has features that Win 7 doesn't that allows collection of different data. Win 10 can be made less intrusive, though. I'll still use Win 7 until it doesn't serve my needs anymore.

I haven't owned a game console since NES.

BTW, I'm using Win 10 Enterprise on my test rig, which is probably comparable to Win 7 with the spying, "data collection".

shaina
05-31-2019, 02:12 AM

But, Win 7 does have telemetry stuff that was added after Win 10 was released. Obviously Win 10 has features that Win 7 doesn't that allows collection of different data. Win 10 can be made less intrusive, though. I'll still use Win 7 until it doesn't serve my needs anymore.
BTW, I'm using Win 10 Enterprise on my test rig, which is probably comparable to Win 7 with the spying, "data collection".

I was just kidding with the conspiracy stuff MacGyver :), but facts are in the eyes of the which web site you want to believe today, that's all...

The reason you started to see a ton of updates for Win 7 they were trying to push everyone to update, that has stopped a long time ago, Telemetry?? That is way above my pay grade MacGyver... You have a bunch of young people that are not big hackers or pirate's, that love windows 10 for ease of use, especially if they have touch screen pc's/laptops, again not available on windows 7, and we all know that the original platform of win 10 was to flood the market with there operating system with tablets, then they had to make drastic adjustments and updates to correct it for just normal use of a standard PC/Laptop...
You do not or never will even own your copy of any Windows operating system even if you did pay for it!!! It is borrowed/rented to make your life easier, hens i would think using the spying word on how you use the system to make it better in the future, plus to send updates if someone is trying to fuck with it and have more 3rd party spying or easy access to your data... Again if you read the fine print on the operating system?? They have the right to do what the fuck they want!!;), and now you try to put other software on there to block that..
Now saying all of that... It is fact not fiction or a conspiracy theory that windows 10 was designed to give Microsoft easy access to all the machines out there!!, and the same from XP to windows 7, so saying that!!, being windows 7 has been out a lot longer that 10, and 7 has way more 3rd party programs to manipulate code to block Microsoft and what they see, i have no doubt we will go through this conversation again once the new operating system comes out ;), the same as new game consoles that come out and sooner or later that code is broken and hacked, and usually NES systems were the easiest to do that, go figure:whistling

Again some facts and some of my opinions...

PS. And just because you don't own a new console or video game, knowing that everyone is on the bandwagon if they do have multiple platforms out there that they want them to communicate and be able to as they say "'Smart Home" everything, that is the future. Even now Cable and Satellite providers are now offering some sort of ITV, or WIFI boxes/Terminals that every home/dwelling will be forced to use or have the internet. I remember the days that you made buddies with one of the cable guys and slipped him a few bucks and he use to take the govern er(resister) off in the box outside your house so you would get full open cable for the cheaper price, now everything is controlled through a cable setup box, and if you don't have one you ain't getting cable period!!! They know and control your access!!, now it is your choice if you want it or not right, but your provider has control and now reduces piracy;) Ask yourself?? Do you think you could survive without a cell phone or internet today?? Do you think the younger generation could?? Talk about poor people!!, Why is it that they will say to have one meal a day but pay and have internet or a cell phone??

Again Just sayin MacGyver

MacGyverSG1
05-31-2019, 10:31 PM

I was just kidding with the conspiracy stuff MacGyver :), but facts are in the eyes of the which web site you want to believe today, that's all...

I don't trust any website. Not a place to get your "news" from.

PS. And just because you don't own a new console or video game, knowing that everyone is on the bandwagon if they do have multiple platforms out there that they want them to communicate and be able to as they say "'Smart Home" everything, that is the future. Even now Cable and Satellite providers are now offering some sort of ITV, or WIFI boxes/Terminals that every home/dwelling will be forced to use or have the internet. I remember the days that you made buddies with one of the cable guys and slipped him a few bucks and he use to take the govern er(resister) off in the box outside your house so you would get full open cable for the cheaper price, now everything is controlled through a cable setup box, and if you don't have one you ain't getting cable period!!! They know and control your access!!, now it is your choice if you want it or not right, but your provider has control and now reduces piracy;) Ask yourself?? Do you think you could survive without a cell phone or internet today?? Do you think the younger generation could?? Talk about poor people!!, Why is it that they will say to have one meal a day but pay and have internet or a cell phone??

In the old days of cableTV (in my area anyway) there was no "governor" on the line going into the home. All channels were being sent out. You needed a cable box (Jerrold Texas Instruments box with fake wood grain) to read the signal to view channels. Depending on which plan you paid for determined how many channels you could view. You could buy a used Jerrold box (probably NOT legal) and use it to get basic cable without needing to pay cable company. Or you could buy a converter box (legal to own, and could buy at Radio Shack) and a "black box" descrabler (NOT legal to own, and usually bought by mail order or out of the back of a van). The cable company would not know what was going on.

Then the cable companies changed over to an IP based system. Every TV needs a box that has a MAC address that is registered to a subscribers account and is activated to view channels. Now all channels are scrambled. Unfortunately the end of "black boxes". If you could create a device to descramble the signal coming in and then clone the MAC address of an existing cable box working in your home; that might work. Not very practical though.

I survive without a cellphone. I use MagicJack at home for telephone. I could survive without the Internet also, but then I would have to go back to a regular land-line phone and buying/renting movies (bring back Blockbuster!!!). An HD antenna hooked up to my TV would be fine.

People these days have backwards priorities created by corporations. Lying to the public to get them to do what you want. A page taken from religions and politicians.

shaina
05-31-2019, 11:37 PM
Well if you had a TV that came with a built in tuner you didn't need a cable box here, it was really more when HD channels became popular they started to make it mandatory/required cable box... Now the lingo you used IP and that i am not sure if that is correct considering cable and satellite are not internet based??. They track everything and the box is registered to your household, but i am not sure if i would say internet?? Maybe private controlled server base sounds better??
ITV now is and offered with voice commands and shit like that... And you use a VOIP system for your phone, that is nice:D..
And i don't think people have backward priorities MacGyver, i just think that all these gadgets are in your face and people like having new toys no matter any age...

I know you don't know much about golf, but it is like my friend that has a golf set and with the clubs he can shoot close to par all the time (74-78), but if he sees a new driver he goes out and gets it, again likes new toys, but i can say so far it has not improved his game, but it is his choice buddy, and that is the luxury of living in a Democratic Society;)..

The way you talk buddy i think a pager may be more your speed for safe outings, but good luck today on finding a public phone, that doesn't have a direct dial to a taxi service only LOL!!!, and saying that i assume you never take "UBER" either:unsure:

(Just kidding on the pager part buddy, you are entitled to do whatever the heck you want!!!, It is your life G-D Bless:yup:)...

Shay

PS. i am not really sure when you speak of corporations and stuff, but i can say MacGyver i am happy they exists , because if they didn't i wouldn't have the opportunity to speak to you long distance over the internet, or Most Americans wouldn't be able to actually see there kids without Facetime/Skype etc.. I do think some things that are available give piece of mind and bring joy.....

Again my opinion.........

anon
06-01-2019, 09:09 AM
I'm a bit late, but here goes.

Some things have been fixed in the four years Windows 10 has been out there, but it's still a perpetual beta by design, and it has been proven to keep sending data to Microsoft no matter what you disable or attempt to, over and over again. On the other side, Windows 7 is okay if you don't install the telemetry updates (difficult since nowadays Windows Update provides rollups instead of patches, but possible) and apply a few tweaks. I verified this myself via packet sniffing.

Now, "okay" may not sound too flattering, but I'm not dumb enough to believe I can control everything a closed source system made by an American corporation does behind my back. If you want to be 100% sure that your OS isn't spying on you, you have to pull a Stallman and only use a Linux distribution that's fully open source and doesn't have any proprietary binaries. Anything less than that is an assumed risk.

MacGyverSG1
06-01-2019, 05:32 PM

Some things have been fixed in the four years Windows 10 has been out there, but it's still a perpetual beta by design, and it has been proven to keep sending data to Microsoft no matter what you disable or attempt to, over and over again. On the other side, Windows 7 is okay if you don't install the telemetry updates (difficult since nowadays Windows Update provides rollups instead of patches, but possible) and apply a few tweaks. I verified this myself via packet sniffing.

Now, "okay" may not sound too flattering, but I'm not dumb enough to believe I can control everything a closed source system made by an American corporation does behind my back. If you want to be 100% sure that your OS isn't spying on you, you have to pull a Stallman and only use a Linux distribution that's fully open source and doesn't have any proprietary binaries. Anything less than that is an assumed risk.

Is there a website that goes into detail about disabling/removing telemetry from Win 7 (thinking about doing a fresh install soon)? I have a list of updates to avoid (ex. KB971033, KB2952664, etc.), but I assume the newer rollups for the patches prevents you from choosing which patches not to install. I could just do a web search to find out, but that would take time to sift through all the results and I have shit to do.

Well if you had a TV that came with a built in tuner you didn't need a cable box here, it was really more when HD channels became popular they started to make it mandatory/required cable box... Now the lingo you used IP and that i am not sure if that is correct considering cable and satellite are not internet based??. They track everything and the box is registered to your household, but i am not sure if i would say internet?? Maybe private controlled server base sounds better??
ITV now is and offered with voice commands and shit like that... And you use a VOIP system for your phone, that is nice:D..
And i don't think people have backward priorities MacGyver, i just think that all these gadgets are in your face and people like having new toys no matter any age...

I know you don't know much about golf, but it is like my friend that has a golf set and with the clubs he can shoot close to par all the time (74-78), but if he sees a new driver he goes out and gets it, again likes new toys, but i can say so far it has not improved his game, but it is his choice buddy, and that is the luxury of living in a Democratic Society;)..

The way you talk buddy i think a pager may be more your speed for safe outings, but good luck today on finding a public phone, that doesn't have a direct dial to a taxi service only LOL!!!, and saying that i assume you never take "UBER" either:unsure:

(Just kidding on the pager part buddy, you are entitled to do whatever the heck you want!!!, It is your life G-D Bless:yup:)...

Shay

PS. i am not really sure when you speak of corporations and stuff, but i can say MacGyver i am happy they exists , because if they didn't i wouldn't have the opportunity to speak to you long distance over the internet, or Most Americans wouldn't be able to actually see there kids without Facetime/Skype etc.. I do think some things that are available give piece of mind and bring joy.....

Again my opinion.........

For a short time I could use the tuner built into my TV to view cable channels, but I did not get all the channels that using a cable box would give. When HD channels arrived, only TVs with a capable HD tuner built in could receive a handful of HD channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX).

The fact that ALL cable TV devices have a MAC address that is registered to a subscribers account, makes me believe they are using an IP system. The cable modem has a MAC address and all PCs so they can be identified. All the devices are sending data over the fibre/copper lines. The cable boxes are basically computers.

Many people DO have backwards priorities. Paying $100+ per month for cellphone service, but can barely put food on the table or provide some other real necessity doesn't make sense.

I know enough about golf. I have been golfing many times. It's a rich man's game. Probably why soccer (aka football) is the most popular sport in the world.

I never had a pager. I didn't like the idea of someone bothering me when I wasn't home (or at home for that matter). That's part of the reason why I don't have a cellphone.

I'm not anti-corporations, but in today's atmosphere everything is about profits. Corporate greed has taken over. It's all about having record profits every quarter (not feasible), and if you don't, people get fired. It's one of the bad parts of capitalism which is why some industries should be socialistic (education and healthcare). Take profit out of the equation and they could be affordable and accessible by everyone.

Microsoft has decided to do what apple and other OS developers are doing and just continually update the OS instead of releasing a new version every few years. They are ALL in perpetual beta by design. I don't know if that is a good thing or bad.

I don't think you can ever be 100% sure that you are not being tracked, spied on, data collected. I just like to keep it as limited as possible. It would be nice to know what the data being collected is that can't be stopped.

shaina
06-01-2019, 07:02 PM

What can you say about this post Anon is it "ALL" makes sense buddy:)

anon
06-02-2019, 07:00 AM
Is there a website that goes into detail about disabling/removing telemetry from Win 7 (thinking about doing a fresh install soon)? I have a list of updates to avoid (ex. KB971033, KB2952664, etc.), but I assume the newer rollups for the patches prevents you from choosing which patches not to install. I could just do a web search to find out, but that would take time to sift through all the results and I have shit to do.

https://8ch.net/tech/w7tele.html

But the best "I don't have time for this crap" solution is to grab a Windows 7 ISO made by generation2 from The Pirate Bay, they have all non-telemetry updates integrated. I've been using his releases for several years and can vouch for them.

It would be nice to know what the data being collected is that can't be stopped.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/even-when-told-not-to-windows-10-just-cant-stop-talking-to-microsoft/

And Windows 10 is known to ignore the hosts file for "special" hostnames (a practice that goes back to XP, but had the benign intention of preventing malware from disabling system and antivirus updates at the time), so you have to block those things at the router level.

shaina
06-02-2019, 08:49 AM

But the best "I don't have time for this crap" solution is to grab a Windows 7 ISO made by generation2 from The Pirate Bay, they have all non-telemetry updates integrated. I've been using his releases for several years and can vouch for them.

Sounds good Anon, thank you and will check it out and see if there is that version on Usenet somewhere as well..
I know if you try to remove updates manually if you don't do it in a certain order, it fucks everything up!! It is like doing those how to speed up windows 7 for older machines tips, you know going into "services" and stopping and then disabling them.....
Again thanks buddy and will check it out for my older Internet laptops......

Shay

MacGyverSG1
06-03-2019, 02:51 AM

It would be nice to know what the data being collected is that can't be stopped.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/even-when-told-not-to-windows-10-just-cant-stop-talking-to-microsoft/

And Windows 10 is known to ignore the hosts file for "special" hostnames (a practice that goes back to XP, but had the benign intention of preventing malware from disabling system and antivirus updates at the time), so you have to block those things at the router level.

I have downloaded many gen2 copies of Win7. I don't know which copy I have. I might also have another release because I was looking for a copy of Win7 with USB 3.0 and NVME drivers added to install.

anon
06-04-2019, 01:38 PM
I know if you try to remove updates manually if you don't do it in a certain order, it fucks everything up!! It is like doing those how to speed up windows 7 for older machines tips, you know going into "services" and stopping and then disabling them.....

Tweaking services is pretty fun. I only have six instances of svchost.exe running :smilie4:

I have downloaded many gen2 copies of Win7. I don't know which copy I have. I might also have another release because I was looking for a copy of Win7 with USB 3.0 and NVME drivers added to install.

There's a new release every month. Unfortunately, they don't have any additional drivers integrated, so that may be a dealbreaker. Last time I reinstalled I had to change from XHCI to EHCI in the BIOS, then switch back and install the corresponding drivers manually afterwards. If you do this you'll also be able to load the NVMe one from a flashdrive at setup time.

MacGyverSG1
06-05-2019, 04:54 AM
I can add the drivers (USB 3.0 and NVME) to the Win 7 install manually. Just easier to have it done already. You can also use an install file from Win 10 with Win 7 to add USB 3.0/NVME support to install (much easier).

I made a Win 7 install using a gen2 release and adding USB 3.0/NVME support. I think it's a year old though.

shaina
06-05-2019, 06:10 PM
Tweaking services is pretty fun. I only have six instances of svchost.exe running :smilie4:.

I bet that would make my older laptops that i use for internet surfing more efficent:)

Is there a way you could show me or guide me on that setup Anon?? Again i don't need any crap!! I just use a few older Laptops for the internet and minimal Windows 7??
But saying that, I assume that you use at least Windows 7 Pro, or how else can you make drastic changes in the operating system??

Again thanks in advance for the help:whistling

anon
06-07-2019, 09:39 AM
Is there a way you could show me or guide me on that setup Anon??

I can give you a copy of my notes and scripts, but a lot of functionality is disabled in the process, so don't hate me if your laptops turn into a dildo :sly: