PDA

View Full Version : Xp Unexpected Restarts... Help Plz!

nizers
02-12-2003, 02:41 PM
Okay... the first time i let it slide. Then XP booted back up and i was off have a good ol' time when suddenly... it happened again. I'm in the middle of surfing the net and playing some music videos when suddenly the computer just restarts???!!! :( Instantly. No Windows shut down or logging off, just one second Angie Martinez is bouncing around my screen and the next i've got the blue HP logo rebooting XP. If anyone knows what's going on here, please clue me in... i'm lost. Is there some kind of glitch in XP or maybe a conflicting program?? If so, i don't know what it could be. This is VERY VERY annoying!! :angry:

CornerPocket
02-12-2003, 04:17 PM
Lets make it easy to figure out, your system is set to auto-reboot in such cases as system failure or errors. In order to pin point or give explanation on what to do you will have to disable the auto-reboot function.

To disable it, go to>Control Panel, double click on System, select the Advanced tab, select Startup And Recovery, and under System Failure, uncheck "Automatically Reboot". What this does is, instead of displaying a BSOD(Blue screen of death), it will automatically reboot your computer. It is always best to disable that option, for troubleshooting purposes.

If the error occurs again the system will show the infamous BSOD (blue screen of death), with error message, post that and we can provide suggestions......

Amarjit
02-12-2003, 06:30 PM
This was on Experts-Exchange, I was looking for it, had no luck.

nizers
02-13-2003, 12:50 AM
I'll do that.... i think it must've had something to do with my WMP cause i've been on for a while now and nothings happened. But i'll post something as soon as it happens again.

nizers
02-13-2003, 01:23 AM
Okay... I try'd to invoke the system to do it again by playing more videos in Windows Media Player and sure enough it did it again. This is what the STOP line said:

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xBFA071F7, 0xEF275AEC, 0x00000000)

*** ialmdd5.DLL - Address BFA071F7 bast at BF9EA000, DateStamp 3ca1eff9

It also mentioned some remedies like checking for adequete disk space. I just did a Disk Defrag before this last BSOD and everything okay in the mem department.

Supernatural
02-13-2003, 05:10 PM
Make sure you have all the latest patches/service packs via Windows Update. If still no luck, then my guess would be that something might be shorting the Power Supply. Make sure there aren't any metal objects making contact with the motherboard or powersupply (maybe the case itself?). The same thing used to happen to my friends previous computer. There was a static build up in the power supply due to improper, pull the plug, shut downs. Eventually the computer wouldn't even startup at all. Someone told him to use a spoon to discharge the buildup (hold the spoon to each of the 3 prongs of the power supply for about 10 secs for each). This should be a last resort and PLEASE be careful if you attempt this. Use a napkin or glove to hold the spoon. :blink:

nizers
02-14-2003, 05:13 PM
DL'd all the latest updates through Windows Update and none of them referred to anything closely similar to my problem. Since what you mentioned above you stated as a last resort i haven't tried that yet. I'm gonna wait for a few other suggestions. Thx.

4play
02-14-2003, 05:46 PM
the first ever patch i downloaded for xp was help with this problem. ;)

i would search into that ialmdd5.DLL file
google results (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=ialmdd5.DLL&btnG=Google+Search)

find out what it is and if you can do without. or even try here (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/servicedesks/fileversion/dllinfo.asp&SD=MSDN&FR=0)

good luck these thinks are a pain to work out.

CornerPocket
02-14-2003, 05:47 PM
The STOP: 0x0000008E error is a common error that occurs for various types of reasons. Incompatible hardware, software, faulty hardware, etc. It appears you have used the Windows Update to no avail, another option to is intergrate the XP SP if you have not done so already. SP has additional fixes that may not be found on Windows Update. That would be my next choice at fixing the issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;EN-US;322389 (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;322389)