PDA

View Full Version : What a week, I tell ya... *does bad Rodney Dangerfield impression*

megabyteme
08-31-2020, 11:00 PM
Aug. 22: Dishwasher nearly catches fire, have to disconnect power as smoke started to fill kitchen

Aug. 23: Wife has stroke, spends few days in hospital, luckily only speech part of her brain affected

Aug. 23-28 Fought with severely plugged up basement toilet, once I gave up on the do-it-myself effort, roto rooter was not able to get it cleared for the usual $300 so we had to pay an additional $600

Aug. 23-28 (simultaneous) Ran myself ragged being a single dad with 2 kids, and a dog with a bladder infection (frequent pissing in house) and who chewed up bathroom door to the point of needing replacement

Aug. 31: Informed that my mother had been in hospital with failed pancreas, kidneys shut down, unlikely to regain consciousness, and her saliva was causing pneumonia. An hour after speaking with her doctor, I was informed that she had passed away. Donated her corneas about 30 minutes ago.

Hope everyone except Idol has had a better week!

I'm actually doing okay, just maxxed out.

Caballero
09-01-2020, 12:13 AM
So sorry for your loss, but appreciate you being willing to donate her organ(s) and improve someone else's life.

Life will get better again.

j2k4
09-01-2020, 01:24 AM
Meg, your life is running parallel to my own.

I'm saying prayers for you, brother - prayers for all; best to your Missus, God's Embrace for your Mum.

Things have to improve, they absolutely have to.

Barbarossa
09-01-2020, 08:18 AM
Aug. 22: Dishwasher nearly catches fire, have to disconnect power as smoke started to fill kitchen

Aug. 23: Wife has stroke, spends few days in hospital, luckily only speech part of her brain affected

Aug. 23-28 Fought with severely plugged up basement toilet, once I gave up on the do-it-myself effort, roto rooter was not able to get it cleared for the usual $300 so we had to pay an additional $600

Aug. 23-28 (simultaneous) Ran myself ragged being a single dad with 2 kids, and a dog with a bladder infection (frequent pissing in house) and who chewed up bathroom door to the point of needing replacement

Aug. 31: Informed that my mother had been in hospital with failed pancreas, kidneys shut down, unlikely to regain consciousness, and her saliva was causing pneumonia. An hour after speaking with her doctor, I was informed that she had passed away. Donated her corneas about 30 minutes ago.

Sounds fucking awful, and very very sorry to hear about your loss :(

Still, every cloud...

At least you'll get some peace and quiet :)

IdolEyes787
09-01-2020, 12:41 PM

Truly sorry to hear about your wife and your Mum. Try to remember that all the rest is just stuff. You can include the kids under "stuff". If you made two then you can probably always make more.
Btw In Third World countries if their dishwasher catches fire usually they just have them roll around on the ground until the flames go out.

Annus horribilis. Rough translation. You are a horrible asshole.

Stehle
09-01-2020, 12:45 PM
I am so, so very sorry for you all my friend. My sincerest condolences. :(

IdolEyes787
09-01-2020, 12:50 PM
I took a year of Latin in High School. Back in the day when there use to be schools.
What I took away from all that time trying to conjugate a dead language was that my teacher Mrs Irving was hawt as fuck and that's about id.

IdolEyes787
09-01-2020, 01:07 PM
In dion's country when the toilet breaks, they just douse everything with holy water and pray for the dawn.

megabyteme
09-01-2020, 04:18 PM
So sorry for your loss, but appreciate you being willing to donate her organ(s) and improve someone else's life.

Life will get better again.

Being asked to donate her corneas actually made the day seem a little less pointless and empty.

I told my boss yesterday that it really sucks using up all of the really good excuses for missing work all at once. :)

Meg, your life is running parallel to my own.

I'm saying prayers for you, brother - prayers for all; best to your Missus, God's Embrace for your Mum.

Things have to improve, they absolutely have to.

My wife has made substantial gains in her speech. I described her as sounding like, "a cross between Porky Pig and William Shatner". Not only did I survive, but we had a good laugh.

May our parallels run into good fortunes and happiness-- although, I would honestly settle for uneventful and somewhat stable.

Sounds fucking awful, and very very sorry to hear about your loss :(

Still, every cloud...

At least you'll get some peace and quiet :)

Thank you :)

Once my wife's condition improved a little, I told her that when I first learned that she couldn't speak, I thought, "I can live with that..." :devil:

Truly sorry to hear about your wife and your Mum. Try to remember that all the rest is just stuff. You can include the kids under "stuff". If you made two then you can probably always make more.
Btw In Third World countries if their dishwasher catches fire usually they just have them roll around on the ground until the flames go out.

Annus horribilis. Rough translation. You are a horrible asshole.

Thank you, Idol. You have a way with words...It's not a good one, buy a way, ntl... ;)

JK Rowlings missed an opportunity in not using that as one of the spells in *Potter*.

I am so, so very sorry for you all my friend. My sincerest condolences. :(

Thank you, my friend. I've been comforted to see you continuing to post throughout the storms in your area. I can only hope that the anti-maskers are all standing outside protesting the storm "invading their 'rights' "

And to everyone, your kind replies and care mean a lot to me. It's one thing when the bad things happen to us, something far worse when they happen to our loved ones.

IdolEyes787
09-01-2020, 06:55 PM
Thank you, Idol. You have a way with words...It's not a good one, buy a way, ntl... ;)

Unimportant what you think. My comments were directed mostly at my base anyway.

anon
09-01-2020, 07:48 PM
I thought my August was difficult, but evidently I was just a spoiled child compared to this. I'm very saddened to hear about your wife and mother, especially the latter - I always got along well with my mom and still do to this day, so I don't even want to imagine what going through that must have been like. The rest of the stuff can ultimately be fixed by throwing money at it, so there's that. Just don't let the weight of everything pull you down, because then things become even worse.

anon
09-01-2020, 07:49 PM

As an actual third world citizen I'd like to add that even with all this corona conundrum, $900 for unclogging a toilet sounds like a total rip-off :mushy: I had a clogged pipe in my bathroom last year and was charged $60 for the fix, which included an emergency surcharge (because you know, I needed it done quick as the whole place was getting flooded). Prices for toilets were about the same.

As for the anus horrible, you're an expert on those matters so I won't contest your statement :ghey:

megabyteme
09-01-2020, 09:21 PM
Thank you, anon! Hearing about your wonderful relationship with your mother made me smile. Mine certainly had her good and not so good qualities, but during the past few years we made a lot of progress in building a somewhat more comfortable relationship. Looking back now, I am relieved that I invested myself into making that work.

Plumbing problems are expensive here. It's not out of the norm for repairs to be in the $200+ for the first hour range. Out of 20 years being in our house, I've only had 2 issues like this. And these guys spent over 3 hours working on it. The entire line out to the sewer system was backed up, and they had to come back with a high-pressure system to blow it all out. We couldn't use either bathroom until it got fixed. I certainly didn't begrudge them for what they did. I have a very good friend who has done all of my minor plumbing and electrical work for those 20years, so I can't complain. Coincidentally, his father died, then a couple weeks later his brother overdosed.

megabyteme
09-01-2020, 09:27 PM
I'm not letting this drive me into the ground. I'm fortunate that my wife is doing well and that she was not severely injured by the stroke. She goes back to the hospital in the next couple/few weeks to have the hole between the two chambers of her heart that allowed the clot to reach her brain fixed.

anon
09-02-2020, 01:32 PM
Thank you, anon! Hearing about your wonderful relationship with your mother made me smile. Mine certainly had her good and not so good qualities, but during the past few years we made a lot of progress in building a somewhat more comfortable relationship. Looking back now, I am relieved that I invested myself into making that work.

Glad you were able to patch things up while it was still possible. Sometimes people miss on that opportunity.

All the best to the wife... as long as she's in good hands everything should be fine :)

megabyteme
09-03-2020, 12:55 AM
We have *amazing* doctors and surgeons nearby.