PDA

View Full Version : Quibi

Caballero
10-22-2020, 01:50 PM
Found in my inbox this morning:

Quibi, the short-form video app that probably generated more memes than paying subscribers, is shutting down. It’s an abrupt end for former eBay CEO Meg Whitman and Hollywood super-mogul Jeffery Katzenberg who, armed with $1.8 billion in funding, tried to spend their way into the streaming wars.

* Quibi dropped up to $100k/minute on original shows featuring the talents of Chrissy Teigen, Chance the Rapper, Anna Kendrick, and other stars.

Katzenberg and co. envisioned users consuming Quibi’s "quick bites" of highly produced video content while on their commute or waiting in line at Starbucks, activities that ended up being the dinosaurs to the pandemic’s asteroid.

* In an open letter Whitman and Katzenberg posted yesterday, they admitted Quibi failed “Likely for one of two reasons: because the idea itself wasn’t strong enough...or because of our timing.”

Looking ahead...you can debate whether it was the pandemic that caused Quibi to fail or its unpopular content, but either way, it’s left picking up the pieces. The company is looking to sell its content and technology assets, a potentially tempting investment for big-name tech and media firms should they want to go second-hand shopping.

I think I downloaded a grand total of *two* of their shows. Haven't watched either one of them. Honestly, that 10-minute-per-episode format never made sense to me. I don't think that "timing" had anything to do with it, so it's probably option #1 above why they went belly up.

shaina
10-22-2020, 02:48 PM
Found in my inbox this morning:

Quibi, the short-form video app that probably generated more memes than paying subscribers, is shutting down. It’s an abrupt end for former eBay CEO Meg Whitman and Hollywood super-mogul Jeffery Katzenberg who, armed with $1.8 billion in funding, tried to spend their way into the streaming wars.

* Quibi dropped up to $100k/minute on original shows featuring the talents of Chrissy Teigen, Chance the Rapper, Anna Kendrick, and other stars.

Katzenberg and co. envisioned users consuming Quibi’s "quick bites" of highly produced video content while on their commute or waiting in line at Starbucks, activities that ended up being the dinosaurs to the pandemic’s asteroid.

* In an open letter Whitman and Katzenberg posted yesterday, they admitted Quibi failed “Likely for one of two reasons: because the idea itself wasn’t strong enough...or because of our timing.”

Looking ahead...you can debate whether it was the pandemic that caused Quibi to fail or its unpopular content, but either way, it’s left picking up the pieces. The company is looking to sell its content and technology assets, a potentially tempting investment for big-name tech and media firms should they want to go second-hand shopping.

I think I downloaded a grand total of *two* of their shows. Haven't watched either one of them. Honestly, that 10-minute-per-episode format never made sense to me. I don't think that "timing" had anything to do with it, so it's probably option #1 above why they went belly up.

Actually heard it on the news in the car, i never knew or heard about the streaming service??, but they also mentioned some Emmy's were won for original shows??

And i agree with you, the 10-minute shit was kind of dumb, and i never looked actually where they came from?? It is bad enough that a half-hour show on cable is really how long once you take out the multiple commercials!!..

Really what or who was there target audience anyways??

Caballero
10-22-2020, 03:10 PM
I guess their idea was to break shows down into 10-minute segments so that you could "consume" them on the subway or the bus on the way to work, or between meetings or classes.

Uhm... no.

shaina
10-22-2020, 03:25 PM
I guess their idea was to break shows down into 10-minute segments so that you could "consume" them on the subway or the bus on the way to work, or between meetings or classes.

Uhm... no.

Well thinking about it, they did mention they were targeting Cell Phone users??

Maybe data usage was an issue?? Even know pretty much every provider here in Canada now promotes unlimited data plans??

I just changed all of my families plans, all my kids now have unlimited data ,10gigs full speed, then it drops...

I guess you just have to say it was an interesting concept, that failed miserably:idunno:

IdolEyes787
10-22-2020, 03:36 PM
I wonder what good 1.8 billion dollars might have done if put to some charitable use instead of trying to further deepen the pockets of the already incredibly wealthy? I guess hungry and homeless children will never know.

anon
10-22-2020, 06:08 PM
Never heard of them.

I wonder what good 1.8 billion dollars might have done if put to some charitable use instead of trying to further deepen the pockets of the already incredibly wealthy?

We'll find out the day the US government uses 0.2% of the military budget for these purposes :dabs:

IdolEyes787
10-22-2020, 06:50 PM
The US military is the only thing preventing Mexico from taking back Texas, commie.

Drug lords aren't afraid of guns. They only respect ICBMs.

anon
10-22-2020, 07:46 PM
The US military is the only thing preventing Mexico from taking back Texas, commie.

That and Trump's wall.

IdolEyes787
10-22-2020, 11:30 PM
If Mexico pays for it, I'm pretty sure it's their wall.

megabyteme
10-23-2020, 01:53 AM

Other than for barbecue, do we really need Texas? :idunno: I'm willing to give away Ted Cruz as a free sample.

Caballero
10-23-2020, 05:24 AM
Ted was born in Canada.

Not a real Texan.

IdolEyes787
10-23-2020, 12:41 PM
Ted was born in Canada.

Not a real Texan.

Oil. Prairies. Cowboys. Cattle. Rodeos. Are we absolutely sure that Calgary isn't a part of Texas?

I mean, ignore the weather and arm every citizen over the age of four and they are literally the same place.

megabyteme
10-23-2020, 06:59 PM
While we're on the subject of right wing idiots...seems Trump's Twitter password was 'MAGA2020!' There's a perfect example of his depth of thought.

IdolEyes787
10-23-2020, 08:49 PM
You probably know but his previous one was Yourfired. True story. Might as well just use DonaldTrump at this point. Too bad he doesn't have a whole cybersecurity department that could help him out or something.

anon
10-23-2020, 10:27 PM
While we're on the subject of right wing idiots...seems Trump's Twitter password was 'MAGA2020!' There's a perfect example of his depth of thought.

Letters, numbers and a symbol, it checks out... and I would laugh so hard if it was in the Hashes.org 2019 list :glagpinch: