PDA

View Full Version : Compression Question

sharedholder
11-29-2003, 08:22 PM
From a forum:

1700 Adobe Type Plugins
http://www.1700Plugins.ace
File size is 2mb compressed. 101 mb uncompressed

How is that posibille? I have that plugin pack and is real.

Kunal
11-29-2003, 08:38 PM
sh all i can say is that those plugins compress very very very very well (sorry about the excessive use the the word very, but the is the truth!)

ive got those plugins (thanks to you :P )

i compressed them using the 7z format, using the ultra compression type and they compressed to a measly 718kb! :o :o :o

Edit: there actually 103 MB (108,169,400 bytes) uncompressed!

balamm
11-29-2003, 08:39 PM
This is a small section of one of those filters. The blank spaces might explain it, compress all that and you'd gain quite a bit.

Sharedholder, look at the red text ;)

t o r y . 8 B F    @   P r o d u c t N a m e    A d o b e  P h o t o s h o p  .   P r o d u c t V e r s i o n  3 . 0 0    D   V a r F i l e I n f o    $   T r a n s l a t i o n      ä        MIB8dnik      MFB8MIB8eman    $  Add Four Ways...                  MIB8gtac    $  Andrew's Filters 26                MIB8srev         MIB8ytrp          MIB8edom        MIB8tsoh      MIB8MIB868xw        ENTRYPOINT1 MIB8icif         

h            Ü  Ï  ž  ˆ                                          Andrew's Filters 26                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Add Four Ways...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Freeware ©1994 Adobe Systems, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.                                                                                                                                                                                                      AB                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Map 0:                                                                                                                          D:                                                                                                                              Map 1:                                                                                                                          D:                                                                                                                              Map 2:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Map 3:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Factor 1 :                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Factor 2 :                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Factor 3 :                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Factor

asmithz
11-29-2003, 08:43 PM
What is it compressed with Balamm?

balamm
11-29-2003, 08:47 PM
It was just done with winrace originally. I repacked it with winrar to make it work with my host. Ace files display as text when you try to download from this server.

asmithz
11-29-2003, 08:57 PM
Thanks Balamm for the info. :beerchug:

VB
11-30-2003, 01:30 AM
They also compress very well because all those files contain parts that are the same.

If you take a textfile and fill it with just the letter 'a' until it is 1 GB and then compress it, then it will only be a couple of bytes.