PDA

View Full Version : Working

mikenmike0001
11-30-2003, 02:00 AM
hey, i'm looking for a job right now and i've been looking for a LONG TIME and they keep fucking giving me bullshit about how they already have enough workers and how they're on a freeze, but then a few weeks later, i end up seeing some new people that i've never seen before, so i think they're hating on me cuz i don't have any experience or something...how or when do you guys usually apply for jobs for like the winter or summer breaks? is it too late? and when it comes to interviews, how do you dress and how do you know how to answer those fuckin questions so that it looks good on ya......any experienced people , can you guys fill me in on this......cuz i'm still looking but i'm not getting any calls and it's pissin me off seeing everyone else get a job except for me.....i've been going around malls and drug stores applying......no calls though....since summer......and like, i don't wanna work at fast food cuz it sucks.......and it makes you look bad.....

Aaron_T
11-30-2003, 02:14 AM
which type of job do you want?

john_malkie2010
11-30-2003, 02:38 AM
im the master...ive been offered jobs at the interviews 3times now outta the last 4.....always wear ashirt and tie...u might think u look like a knob but if ur the only one then u leave an impression....make sure u say a few things such as "im a good communicator", "hard working" and "i use my own initiative"...things like that

Spider_dude
11-30-2003, 03:02 AM
my only downfall is i am a perfectionist is a good one.

4play
11-30-2003, 03:04 AM
i went to a job interview once where they asked me
"if you found out senior members of the company where stealing would you report it"

I said "yes".

I didnt get the job :lol:

TheDave
11-30-2003, 03:05 AM
the problem this time of year is everyones working for christmas

TheDave
11-30-2003, 03:16 AM
if you apply for a job at mickyDs. make sure you answer every question "tell the shift manager". even your name is tell the shift manager. youre garunteed the job.

i didnt get a job their once. in the interview the dude said to me "so what research have you done into mcdonalds" i frowned then looked down at the table. he then said "if im gonna hire people i want to know what effort theyve put into getting the job" another 20 seconds went by, i looked up and said "i dunno, its just fuckin mcdonalds innit"

he sent me down the road to glasshaughton, i did shit loads of research but that interview went pretty much like this:
dude: hello
me: hello
(handshake)
dude: im some guy, who are you?
me: im dave
dude: what would you say if i offered you the job?
me: i'd say thanks
dude: youve got the job
me: thanks

i was so pissed off i wasted all that time researching for no reason.
i quit 3 weeks later :P

mikenmike0001
11-30-2003, 04:40 AM
well....the thing is that i'm willing to work ANYWHERE EXCEPT for fast food restaurants.....last summer, i got 3 interviews and 2 phone call rejections and a rejection letter from a security place i tried to get into.. :( but yeah, they all seemed to ask the same type of questions... 1) why do you want to work here, why here? 2) what good do you think you'd bring to our sompany 3) if you were in "so and so" situation, how would you handle it? and i always blank out and get stumped by these questions.......like for the first question, can i simply say, that "i need a job so that i can pay off my school bills", i mean, is that exceptable..? actually the thing is that getting an interview is an achievement, but before that, just going from filling out an application and turning one in to get an interview, is that just out of luck, or is there some method of getting into it?

MUSLEMAN 1.0
11-30-2003, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by mikenmike0001@30 November 2003 - 04:40
well....the thing is that i'm willing to work ANYWHERE EXCEPT for fast food restaurants.....last summer, i got 3 interviews and 2 phone call rejections and a rejection letter from a security place i tried to get into.. :(  but yeah, they all seemed to ask the same type of questions... 1) why do you want to work here, why here?  2) what good do you think you'd bring to our sompany 3) if you were in "so and so" situation, how would you handle it?  and i always blank out and get stumped by these questions.......like for the first question, can i simply say, that "i need a job so that i can pay off my school bills", i mean, is that exceptable..?  actually the thing is that getting an interview is an achievement, but before that, just going from filling out an application and turning one in to get an interview, is that just out of luck, or is there some method of getting into it?
you have a car???

TheDave
11-30-2003, 02:39 PM
i know catering the shittest jobs in the world. thats why we have to do it. and dont be nervous, just tell the shift manager ;)

Sparkle1984
11-30-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by mikenmike0001@30 November 2003 - 03:40
well....the thing is that i'm willing to work ANYWHERE EXCEPT for fast food restaurants.....last summer, i got 3 interviews and 2 phone call rejections and a rejection letter from a security place i tried to get into.. :( but yeah, they all seemed to ask the same type of questions... 1) why do you want to work here, why here? 2) what good do you think you'd bring to our sompany 3) if you were in "so and so" situation, how would you handle it? and i always blank out and get stumped by these questions.......like for the first question, can i simply say, that "i need a job so that i can pay off my school bills", i mean, is that exceptable..? actually the thing is that getting an interview is an achievement, but before that, just going from filling out an application and turning one in to get an interview, is that just out of luck, or is there some method of getting into it?
I wouldn't think it's a good idea to say you want the job just so you can pay off your school bills; you will need to say how you can benefit the company by working there, not just how working there will benefit yourself.

bigboab
11-30-2003, 02:58 PM
Try security. If you get nightshift you can study while working.

mikenmike0001
11-30-2003, 04:25 PM
okay, so what can i say to talk about benifiting the company, i don't have much of any skills, and yeah, i can drive, but i normally take the bus cuz i dont' know roads that well....but yeah.....getting an interview, how can i increase my chances of that if there's like 100 people turning an app in ? is it all luck?

MUSLEMAN 1.0
11-30-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by mikenmike0001@30 November 2003 - 16:25
okay, so what can i say to talk about benifiting the company, i don't have much of any skills, and yeah, i can drive, but i normally take the bus cuz i dont' know roads that well....but yeah.....getting an interview, how can i increase my chances of that if there's like 100 people turning an app in ? is it all luck?
go and become a courier, doing deliveries, they are always taking in contractors(drivers), if you are sharp you can make 2000$ a month driving, it takes 10 minutes to learn how to read a map, after that be sharp and you will be good to go within a month or so

Cheese
11-30-2003, 04:48 PM
Whenever I've found myself unemployed I've done voluntary work. You only have to do maybe a couple of hours week but to a prospective employer you will look like someone who wants to workand isn't just motivated by money.

Mr. Mulder
11-30-2003, 04:49 PM
I had a job last year working at Index (the catalog shop). At the interview they asked me dumb questions like "When was the last time you contributed to a team effort" and so on. I just gave them a load of bullshit, told them what they wanted to hear. I also lied about my qualifications, they never checked them.

Instead of trying to think of answers involving you're past experiances, just make stuff up instead ;)

mikenmike0001
11-30-2003, 05:03 PM
do you guys have an examples of what to say? with these job openings, do you guys to go all over the place and apply, or do you do the online thing now? cuz i don't know any "courier" places around here, .actually, there's probably a lot of places that have jobs that i don't know about because i don't even know that they exist, is there a way to search for all this shit online?

Mr. Mulder
11-30-2003, 05:07 PM
Do you have a local newspaper? that's probably the best place to look.

Edit: also, try going into places and actually asking if they're hiring and if you can have an aplication form. It shows good initiative.

k-liteuserintheworld
11-30-2003, 05:17 PM
just say your an honest hard worker, with the skills to drive the company further, just bullshit a bit

mikenmike0001
11-30-2003, 05:18 PM
newspaper,.....no i don't get it.....what section would that be under anyways? classified? anyways, yeah..like yesterday, i went to a local mall and turn in like 15 applications.......they always say that they'll call back in two weeks or whatever, but i never get any calls......oh yeah, like, if you have an answer machine, and they call in and you don't pick up......do they usually leave a message about that shit, or do they just end up skipping you and calling someone else for the job? i don't want to havE to wait around my phone 24-7 all the time........

Spider_dude
11-30-2003, 05:30 PM
you did put the correct phone number on your application forms?

pol
11-30-2003, 05:33 PM
and sentences, paragraphs etc?

Snee
11-30-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Spider_dude@30 November 2003 - 04:02
my only downfall is i am a perfectionist is a good one.
Yep, I especially like your perfect grammar! :P

mikenmike0001
11-30-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Spider_dude@30 November 2003 - 10:30
you did put the correct phone number on your application forms?
yeah.......HELL YEAH.....i made sure of that.......

Snee
11-30-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by pol@30 November 2003 - 18:33
...previous sentances, criminal tendencies. :D

MediaSlayer
11-30-2003, 05:57 PM
be a repo man.

sometimes desperate women, wanting to keep their car, diamond rings, ect....... will offer you something you can't pass up in exchange for letting them keep their valuables. problem is, it could turn into an explosive situation when, after getting some nookie a few times, you turn around and take the car anyway :lol:

mikenmike0001
11-30-2003, 06:45 PM
these jobs that you guys are saying..like repo and courier, do they require special licenses or can a guy with no work experience like me qualify for it?

Spider_dude
11-30-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by SnnY+30 November 2003 - 17:52--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SnnY @ 30 November 2003 - 17:52)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-pol@30 November 2003 - 18:33
...previous sentances, criminal tendencies. :D [/b][/quote]
erm i love your spelling.

MediaSlayer
11-30-2003, 06:49 PM
here in the usa i think all you need is some muscles to be a repo man. it&#39;s dangerous work

Snee
11-30-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Spider_dude+30 November 2003 - 19:47--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Spider_dude &#064; 30 November 2003 - 19:47)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by SnnY@30 November 2003 - 17:52
<!--QuoteBegin-pol@30 November 2003 - 18:33
...previous sentances, criminal tendencies. :D
erm i love your spelling.[/b][/quote]
It&#39;s an, erm, colloquialism :-" :"> :lol:

Spider_dude
11-30-2003, 06:58 PM
are you from the same part of england as jonno perchance?

Snee
11-30-2003, 07:00 PM
Not quite, though I feel his style is contagious :lol:

mikenmike0001
11-30-2003, 08:55 PM
okay, well, this is getting off topic, but thanks people..

mikenmike0001
12-02-2003, 01:32 PM
any more tips? i know there&#39;s like 10000 people who visit here who must have worked before....share share..... ;)

hooked
12-02-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by mikenmike0001@2 December 2003 - 13:32
any more tips? i know there&#39;s like 10000 people who visit here who must have worked before....share share..... ;)
be original &#33;&#33;

don&#39;t say you&#39;re a perfectionist when they ask you if you have a bad sight of yrself.

be honest &#33;&#33;

don&#39;t go for the obvious things > make a joke, try to let them remember you.

Don&#39;t make an application like anybody else is doing, write something new in it.

again: BE ORIGINAL

would you hire somebody who answers exactly the same as all the others . . . . .

mikenmike0001
12-03-2003, 04:16 AM
yeah i know i should be original and try to be myself, the reason why i probably have been rejected from previous interviews is that i blank out and get stumped at the questions that they ask me.......they always ask the same questions..1) what can you give to our company 2) why should we hire you and not anyone else 3) tell me about your past experience working at (so and so job, whatever that you previously worked at)..and for some reason, i always end up answer like a 3rd grader....nothing fancy , just plain, and that pisses me off...... that&#39;s why i&#39;m asking people here for tips to help me start off the conversation....

hooked
12-03-2003, 12:31 PM
1 - i can give yr company new spirit by adding lots of humor . . coz i think its important to work in a happy environment, i&#39;m quick, polite on the phone etc etc..

2 - i certainly cannot answer this question coz i don&#39;t know the other ppl . . . :P

3 - just tell&#39;m what you did . .(imo the easiest question)

good luck

mikenmike0001
12-04-2003, 04:52 AM
HM.....IF I try to make things funny with them, will that be a bad thing? or should you be all serious and striaght forward with your responses?

runswithscissors
12-04-2003, 08:59 AM
How old r u.

mikenmike0001
12-05-2003, 12:52 AM
20..yeah i know, that&#39;s bad that i haven&#39;t worked much.....and i&#39;m that old...but, i&#39;ve had a tough time getting a job for some reason.....

runswithscissors
12-05-2003, 10:25 AM
You allready have gotten allot of good advice. I have allways gone the honest route and have gotten the job. Make a resume. I doesn&#39;t have to be anything too fancy. Just a little about yourself and what you did in school. ect.... :)

mrlessk
12-05-2003, 10:44 AM
Hi mikenmike0001,
20 years old eh? Perfect&#33;
Ok, if you got the balls for it...I have the job for you. Might be the best thing you ever do in your situation. Sign up for the Signal Corps School of Photography....will keep you out of Infantry and lessen your chances of ending up in Baghdad or worse. You&#39;ll be a U.S. Army Photographer for a few years and have a career when you get out.

Check it out here (http://www.goarmy.com/index11.htm)

Your choice but, whatever you decide to do.....best of luck in your search. :tank:

MUSLEMAN 1.0
12-05-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by mikenmike0001@30 November 2003 - 17:03
do you guys have an examples of what to say? with these job openings, do you guys to go all over the place and apply, or do you do the online thing now? cuz i don&#39;t know any "courier" places around here, .actually, there&#39;s probably a lot of places that have jobs that i don&#39;t know about because i don&#39;t even know that they exist, is there a way to search for all this shit online?
open the phone book and look under courier companies

mikenmike0001
12-05-2003, 03:02 PM
alright, thanks people....man, that army site got me freaked out...haha......the last thing that i want to do is to join something military related......i&#39;m scared of dying man.......making a resume........do you guys just use the microsoft word setup for it, or is there a way to figure out your own professional thing? and with resumes, do you guys usually give them with the small stores, like mall stores and drug stores, or are they meant to only be used when you try out those "big" companies (cingular, hp, ...you know......"big" companies)....? yeah, and the honest route thing, i try to do that, but it doesn&#39;t seem to work , cuz i get stomped a lot and most of the time the other guys interviewed who bullshit their ass off end up getting a better review from the manager.........