PDA

View Full Version : What Are Supernodes?

Grover
02-12-2003, 10:53 PM
What is a supernode?
How it can help me download my files faster? or better?

WHAT IS IT :huh:

TenBrightSPikes
02-12-2003, 11:38 PM
Supernodes are an essential part of the network. When being a Supernode, other users in your neighbourhood will automatically upload to your machine a small list of files they are sharing, whenever possible using the same Internet Service Provider or located in the same region as you. When they search they send the search request to you as a Supernode. This request will also be forwarded to other supernodes. The results are then send back to the user. The actual download will be directly from the computer who is sharing the file, not from you. The download goes from them to the person who wants it, peer-to-peer.
Any computer using KaZaA (Lite) can become a Supernode if they have a modern computer and are accessing the Internet with a broadband connection. Being a Supernode does not affect your performance noticeably.

Now, with that being said......

Is it harmfull for my computer to be a Supernode?

No. Being a Supernode helps other users. Other computers connect to you, and your computer does the searching for them. Your Supernode communicates with other Supernodes worldwide to help other members search the network. The amount of CPU resources that can be used by a Supernode is limited to 10% of the total CPU power available - you will in general not even notice if your computer is functioning as a Supernode!

DataMore
02-12-2003, 11:39 PM
Please read the FAQ.
It's all there and even more. B)

TenBrightSPikes
02-12-2003, 11:39 PM
Supernodes are an essential part of the network. When being a Supernode, other users in your neighbourhood will automatically upload to your machine a small list of files they are sharing, whenever possible using the same Internet Service Provider or located in the same region as you. When they search they send the search request to you as a Supernode. This request will also be forwarded to other supernodes. The results are then send back to the user. The actual download will be directly from the computer who is sharing the file, not from you. The download goes from them to the person who wants it, peer-to-peer.
Any computer using KaZaA (Lite) can become a Supernode if they have a modern computer and are accessing the Internet with a broadband connection. Being a Supernode does not affect your performance noticeably.

Now, with that being said......

Is it harmfull for my computer to be a Supernode?

No. Being a Supernode helps other users. Other computers connect to you, and your computer does the searching for them. Your Supernode communicates with other Supernodes worldwide to help other members search the network. The amount of CPU resources that can be used by a Supernode is limited to 10% of the total CPU power available - you will in general not even notice if your computer is functioning as a Supernode!

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
02-12-2003, 11:49 PM
<_< I still don&#39;t know how a SuperNode works.....and you know what....I don&#39;t care. :P

All I do know is this it has something to do with a certain area.....which makes no sence to me....why can&#39;t we search all 4 milliom people for what we want.....I tell you why.....because Kazaa sucks. :P

Grover
02-12-2003, 11:54 PM
THX for INFo :)
NEXT TIME I WILL READ FAQ first :)

Grover
02-13-2003, 12:03 AM
So another question: :)
Where can I choose SN, is there some kind of a program? :)

DataMore
02-13-2003, 12:23 AM
Try KaZuperNodes (http://www.fasttrackhelp.com/downloadcenter.php).

Grover
02-13-2003, 07:26 AM
THX again :)