PDA

View Full Version : If I Already Have A Router

apunkrockmonk
11-30-2003, 04:53 AM
I already have a linksys etherfast cable dsl router.... I know it functions as a firewall, but would I get any added benefits by also running zone alarm pro too?

abu_has_the_power
11-30-2003, 05:07 AM
yea. run both

apunkrockmonk
11-30-2003, 05:09 AM
can anyone post a torrent link or hash or pm me a direct link?

morpheus 1.0
11-30-2003, 05:52 AM
no!
do not run a firewall while using a routor... that would be pointless!

the firewall would do nothing but use sys. resources

i'm using a routor and i found out that it was pointless

however you still need an av

muchspl2
11-30-2003, 05:56 AM
I use both

and the imported ip's on the host machines, but looking into other options

Mik3ll
11-30-2003, 07:24 AM
Im behind a Linksys router, and it has a built in firewall. And my software firewall blocked 3 portscan attacks (by the same damn person in Denver), and I think it blocked a sub-7 trojan attack. So I say stick with both.

can anyone post a torrent link or hash or pm me a direct link?

There are 3 versions of ZA, the free, plus, and pro. Download 1 of them at http://zonelabs.com, if you got the plus or pro, just get a serial, and I think it works for both.

Russo
11-30-2003, 10:39 AM
Having two firewalls is like having two umbrellas open in the rain. one firewall will catch all the rain, and the other will get hardly nothing

But i use ZA with my router just so i know what programs are trying to access the internet and spy on me

MUSLEMAN
11-30-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Russo@30 November 2003 - 06:39
Having two firewalls is like having two umbrellas open in the rain. one firewall will catch all the rain, and the other will get hardly nothing

But i use ZA with my router just so i know what programs are trying to access the internet and spy on me
that is the best post on this thread except for the fact that i would change za with sygate so you can monitor and control you programs

a router is almost like a hard firewall

Wizzandabe
11-30-2003, 11:21 AM
I am on a router, and believe that you dont need a firewall, because im behind NAT

NAT = Firewall (hardware one :P )
So I say you dont want one. You are pritty much sorted with a router.
But saying that, I have never had a firewall even when i was on a ADSL modem, or even 56k back in the days, shall we say, I am not woried about it at all. :D

ovidevideo
11-30-2003, 01:21 PM
I guess that it is a matter of opinion, but I feel much better with Sygate on my desktops behind my router.
It catches about 3 scans a month which tells me that the router does not stop everything.
And, like Musleman, I like to see what is going on.

The resources used are negligable, slows down the startup but that's about it.

I'd rather be safe than sorry.

B)

LTJBukem
11-30-2003, 04:35 PM
I don't have a router at the moment, but i'm getting one next month when we finally get adsl. My understanding, from the research i've done, is that a software firewall is neccesary to prevent any pirated software from phoning home. Also that ZoneAlarm is perfectly adequate for this task.

abu_has_the_power
11-30-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Russo@30 November 2003 - 05:39

i'd say a router is a big filter, and a software firewall is a small thinner firewall. u get both layers of protection. and u also get peace of mind from the riaa cuz u can't block specific ip adds on ur router

J'Pol
11-30-2003, 05:35 PM
As I understand it a NAT Router will stop uninvited traffick from coming into your machine. Basically if one of the PCs didn't ask for it, then it is ignored as the router has no way of knowing where to send it. Great for BOTS etc, as the machine doesn't block them, confirming it's existence, it just ignores them.

Unless you set up one machine as the DMZ (I think) then it will send anything it doesn't know about there. This is necessary for some things to work properly.

However it will not stop things being sent out, it will just get something from the PC and send it to the appropriate address.

So if you wish to control outgoing traffick you need software.

This is my understanding and it could easily be nonsense.

shn
11-30-2003, 07:15 PM
Try using your common sense. If you had a router you would not need a crappy software based firewall. And if you have a router and still think you need a peice a crap software like zone alarm to protect you then I suggest you start looking for a "good" router and stop buying that cheap hardware.

Besides if someone really wanted to get into a system they could easily bypass a software firewall because its an application. Its a lot harder to bypass a "physical" device like a router that is physically attached to the network.

LTJBukem
11-30-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by shn@30 November 2003 - 19:15
Try using your common sense. If you had a router you would not need a crappy software based firewall. And if you have a router and still think you need a peice a crap software like zone alarm to protect you then I suggest you start looking for a "good" router and stop buying that cheap hardware.

Besides if someone really wanted to get into a system they could easily bypass a software firewall because its an application. Its a lot harder to bypass a "physical" device like a router that is physically attached to the network.
What about outbound traffic; particularly pirated software phoning home?

shn
11-30-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by LTJBukem+30 November 2003 - 13:24--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LTJBukem @ 30 November 2003 - 13:24)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-shn@30 November 2003 - 19:15
Try using your common sense.&nbsp; If you had a router you would not need a crappy software based firewall.&nbsp; And if you have a router and still think you need a peice a crap software like zone alarm to protect you then I suggest you start looking for a "good" router and stop buying that cheap hardware.

What about outbound traffic; particularly pirated software phoning home? [/b][/quote]
I have a good router. It monitors all inbound and outbound traffic. And how exactly does pirated software phone home?

I have to manually configure and enable a pass-through to let actual applications send outbound traffic. And at least when I do that I dont get an annoying message telling me its trying to access the internet like software based firewalls do..

LTJBukem
11-30-2003, 08:07 PM
Most software tries to send registration details over the internet, which, as a matter of course, i block with my software firewall. These are the same annoying messages you mention, i just turn off these program alerts and check the log from time to time.

But you&#39;re telling me routers can block such outbound traffic? Is this typical of routers, or is it another part of your supercomputer? :P Myself and the original poster, i guess, are asking the same question. If you could provide us with some more info i&#39;d be grateful.

:)

shn
11-30-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by LTJBukem@30 November 2003 - 14:07
Most software tries to send registration details over the internet, which, as a matter of course, i block with my software firewall. These are the same annoying messages you mention, i just turn off these program alerts and check the log from time to time.

But you&#39;re telling me routers can block such outbound traffic? Is this typical of routers, or is it another part of your supercomputer? :P Myself and the original poster, i guess, are asking the same question. If you could provide us with some more info i&#39;d be grateful.

:)
Honestly it depends on what type of router you have. If you go out and buy a cheap one that tells you that you need to install software to run it or whatever then its not a good router, just one that will suffice your basic needs. But even then you still should not need firewall software alongside of it.

I run linux a lot so technically if I wanted to I could use one of my linux boxes on my network to serve as a gateway or kind of like a router, in such a way that I would not need a physical device. But since I have other boxes running xp and stuff then I just connect them all through the router and use the router as a gateway.

Good routers are like computers. As they should be, most of them come with manuals and even when you buy one, a good one at least, it will post the specs just like when you buy a computer.

Ever seen a computer for sale at a store and you know its a pretty basic one that may lack a lot of features. Well, the manufactures know that too so thats why they dont post "all" of the hardware specs on it, you have to ask someone in the store or wait until you actually buy the pc to get the full technical specs on it. Then you see it wasnt worth buying because it doesnt have much to offer.

Routers are the same way, a crappy one will just give you a few general specs and tell you its easy to hook up or whatever. A good one will have the full specs listed on the box so you know what you get before you buy.

And actually I was a student in cisco netcad for 2 semesters and I got a great deal on a Cisco 830 Series router that they were offering students at a very competitive price. Something like that for me was worth it because that is a very good router. But I also understand that a lot of people may not need all that and may opt for a more simple solution.

Did you know that you dont need a router or software firewall to stop outgoing traffic. Some people think the built in firewal (icf)l with xp is crap, but I learned its only crap if you dont know about networking. If you have a general knowledge of tcp/ip you can filter and block just about any tcp or udp traffic, in or out just by using the advanced tab in the icf (internet connection firewall) section.

mulch
11-30-2003, 10:09 PM
I use a Cisco 801. Yah I know the little one. The IOS I&#39;m running is real cool. A little packet sniffer built right in. DSL ready is what cisco put out. Well it supported PPPOE no prob. I downloaded the IP Ranged that needs blocking in a text file and just pasted it into my config file.

I also run Sniffer Pro just to see whats going and coming. I was suprised to say the least.

Global Media Trader
11-30-2003, 10:18 PM
You will have to open ports manually in your router to be able to play some multi player games or FTP transfers. but that is real easy, at least on a D-Link anyway

Global Media Trader
11-30-2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by abu_has_the_power+30 November 2003 - 17:33--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (abu_has_the_power @ 30 November 2003 - 17:33)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Russo@30 November 2003 - 05:39

i&#39;d say a router is a big filter, and a software firewall is a small thinner firewall. u get both layers of protection. and u also get peace of mind from the riaa cuz u can&#39;t block specific ip adds on ur router [/b][/quote]
Right ,a router is better than a software firewall , so my hacker friends say. but having two software firewalls is kind of pointless. like the rain analogy

apunkrockmonk
11-30-2003, 11:38 PM
i thought the linksys routers were pretty good, are they not?

Global Media Trader
12-01-2003, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by apunkrockmonk@30 November 2003 - 23:38
Yes they are , i have friends with them. you dont need to spend anymore than &#036;50 for a 4 port router

MUSLEMAN
12-01-2003, 02:08 AM
linksis is good but i hear cisco is the shit

shn
12-01-2003, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by Global Media Trader+30 November 2003 - 18:25--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Global Media Trader @ 30 November 2003 - 18:25)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-apunkrockmonk@30 November 2003 - 23:38
Yes they are , i have friends with them. you dont need to spend anymore than &#036;50 for a 4 port router [/b][/quote]
Lynksys are ok but their wireless access point routers suck because they all have a default uname and password of admin:admin and its real easy for someone to use a program lto scan the wireless access points in the area for that default configuration.

Other than that their regualr routers are ok for basic use but nothing close to a cisco router.

Livy
12-01-2003, 03:17 AM
arent linksys and cisco the same company?

shn
12-01-2003, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by Livy@30 November 2003 - 21:17
arent linksys and cisco the same company?
Something like that. Some kind of merger or cisco bought their shares or something. I dont know Im not a stockbroker or market analyst, just a computer chic.

;)