PDA

View Full Version : Psu Mod V2.0

clocker
11-30-2003, 06:15 AM
Someone please tell me if this is beginning to bore ya'll...

I simply couldn't resist...
Once the idea entered my head I couldn't shake it, and, like most of these ideas, only a real life test would confirm/disprove it's worth.
Last week, after I first modded my PSU and installed a 120mm intake fan on the bottom, it seemed to me that I was unfairly burdening my PSU by in effect using it to hoover hot air off the heatsink. So I wondered what might happen if I just flipped it over and expelled it's waste air into a vent in the roof. The 80mm fan on the back of the unit was flipped also, so it now functions as an intake along with the grillwork on the inside front.
I was fortunate in that this Xaser case has a subplate on the back which the PSU bolts to. Simply flipping it upside over and placing it outside the case made it possible for all the screwholes (save one) to line right up. I figured that 7 out of 8 screws was enough to safely mount the PSU, especially as it rests full length on rails.
An added bonus was that in it's new position, the wiring fell on the side of the case where most of the optical drive plug ins were. Of course another round of cable modification was in order, but I'm getting pretty good at that.
Here is how the new setup looks...
http://server4.uploadit.org/files/301103-mini-PSU%20Mod1.JPG
As long as I had to strip out the case to cut one vent, I figured what the hell and redid the original blowhole fan also. From the factory the original fan has only a few holes in the roof to blow through, a problem made even worse by the decorative grill that covers that up. So I cut out the entire area and made a subplate (I even managed to recycle one of the aluminum front panel deco plates for this :) ) which now carries two 80mm exhaust fans. And just for good measure I added my two fan control switches also. These switches allow me to shut off two sets of fans (case back and case roof) or switch between 5v and 12v. Here is how the case roof turned out...
http://server4.uploadit.org/files/301103-mini-New%20roof.JPG
I've also been thinking of mounting my receiver for my wireless/optical mouse up here too, but it slipped my mind, so that will happen another day. :rolleyes:

Of course this wasn't enough to keep me occupied, so I moved the HDD back onto the motherboard wall with it's dedicated fan- a configuration which made it very happy temp-wise.
I also decided that this was the perfect time to practise my heatsink lapping, so I lapped the Zalman ( starting with 400 and ending up with 1500 grit wet/dry paper) and then ultrasonically cleaned it up and installed it.
Then I installed the two rear case fans, set up to intake air, with the Thermaltake ducts, so the HSF had fresh outside air to work with. Like so...
http://server4.uploadit.org/files/301103-mini-HSF%20Mod4.JPG
This arrangement makes for one happy camper, folks. Results prove it.
http://server4.uploadit.org/files/301103-burn7.jpg
Those with eagle eyes and an elephant's memory (VB1234?) will notice that the temps climbed a bit more than is usual for me during the test. This is caused by the way I have SpeedFan set up. Max fan speed is only 70% ( almost inaudible) and minimum speed is 50% with a desired target temp of 38 degC. Soon after the test finished the CPU temp fell back to 37C where it sits now. Ambient case temp is 24.5, HDD temp is 26, PSU temp is 26 and video card is 27C. All in all, I think my best allround configuration so far.

Will this ever end?

No. :P

raiserblade2003
11-30-2003, 06:28 AM
From now on, should I post something like "Well, I think I'm done" or, "This is the final version..." will someone please step up and bitchslap me?

*bitchslap*

clocker
11-30-2003, 06:33 AM
But Ididn't say this was final.... :blink:

kazaaliterock
11-30-2003, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by clocker@30 November 2003 - 07:33
But Ididn't say this was final.... :blink:
oh well, i still like to bitchslap you. :D

balamm
11-30-2003, 07:09 AM
http://server4.uploadit.org/files/301103-burn7.jpg

Is this a bug in the monotor program or are your sensors crossed?

SciManAl
11-30-2003, 07:10 AM
QUOTE (clocker @ 30 November 2003 - 07:33)
But Ididn't say this was final.... 

oh well, i still like to bitchslap you. 
some one has issues...

looks good clocker... reall good...

clocker
11-30-2003, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by balamm@30 November 2003 - 00:09

Is this a bug in the monotor program or are your sensors crossed?
It's the program, Balamm.
I don't know why it reverses board and chip temps or how to straighten it out.

sage0112
11-30-2003, 08:23 AM
thats got a shitload of fans in it. Its like the fans need their own cpu.

Kunal
11-30-2003, 11:38 AM
brilliant work once again agian (i wish i had the time and money to do something like this....)

@ sage0112, wtf!?

RGX
11-30-2003, 02:04 PM
I have been enjoying watching your project clocker, given me some intresting ideas, keep it up :)

clocker
11-30-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by sage0112@30 November 2003 - 01:23
thats got a shitload of fans in it. Its like the fans need their own cpu.
Well, the case came with seven fans!
Now I'm down to five.

It's an addiction.

Edit:
If you have followed my series of threads about my new case, it might appear that I am just addicted to tinkering with it. This is true to a certain extent, but there is also a method to my madness.
From the beginning I was fairly certain that water cooling, or a combo of Peltier/water cooling was where I would end up.
First though, I thought it made sense to explore, as completely as possible, the limits of air cooling.

Efficient air cooled solutions, which are also acceptably quiet, are very difficult to achieve, I've found.
The common ( and intuitively reasonable) configuration- fans in the front blowing air in, and fans in the back expelling the hot waste air- just doesn't work as advertised.
Although this arrangement might work if I had been willing to really cut up the case and mount 120mm fans instead of the typical 80mm units, I didn't want to commit to such a permanent alteration.
If you were certain that air cooling was your method of choice, I would recommend that you skip the foreplay and move directly to 120mm fans. They can move alot of air at acceptable noise limits.
If your case is small enough ( mid-tower or smaller) you may actually even realize a perceptable air current as shown in many diagrams.
With a larger case and 80mm fans, unless you are willing to run them at 12v ( fast & noisy), I think you are wasting your time.

I have achieved the best results by arranging the fans, through placement and ducting, to be site/task specific. One fan, placed under the HDD and drawing air from the case exterior ( that's what the grill visible in the lower front of the side panel in the roof pic is for) which is dedicated to the HDD only, makes for nice, low and consistent HDD temps. I don't care if this fan has any effect on other components as they are dealt with separately. Two fans in the back which serve to supply the CPU HS with fresh, cool air. Again, they don't have to be concerned with anything else, just their main function.

Roof vents with fans are very effective as they utilize the natural tendency of heated air to rise. In fact, just the vents themselves are almost as good, the fans help alittle, but you may not need them at all.

Mainly though, my most valuable lesson learned has been "Assume nothing, don't take anything at face value". Every mod that I've made seemed like a great idea, some worked, some didn't, and some were inconclusive, but at least I now know, one way or the other.

It may seem tedious, I realize that not everyone enjoys disassembling/ reassembling their PC every day as I do, but your end result will be worth the effort. ;) .

clocker
11-30-2003, 11:40 PM
Small change...excellent results.

Moved the fans from one end of the duct to the other. They now draw air and blow right on the HS instead of pushing air through the duct...
http://server4.uploadit.org/files/301103-fan%20rev2.JPG
The small change does not seem like it would matter too much, but..
http://server4.uploadit.org/files/301103-burnin%208(5v).jpg.jpg
This is with the fans on 5v. Bump them up to 12v and...
http://server4.uploadit.org/files/301103-burnin9(12v).jpg
Hark! Not too shabby at all.
Unfortunately, a bit too noisy.
Maybe try 7v and see what happens...

Even so, this revision stays.

Duffman
12-01-2003, 12:17 AM
one day im gonna post a pic of the inside of my computer, clocker you;ll have a heart attack, wires everywhere like 2 fans total, its crazy andi don't know if its even making a difference, i wish i had a camera

clocker
12-01-2003, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Duffman3@30 November 2003 - 17:17
its crazy andi don't know if its even making a difference, i wish i had a camera
Making a difference in what?

Maybe you could draw us a picture of you PC.

Duffman
12-01-2003, 01:49 AM
ok i drew the picture now i need a host for my picture

clocker
12-01-2003, 01:55 AM
Free host. (http://www.uploadit.org/)

Virtualbody1234
12-01-2003, 01:57 AM
You moved the HD back I see.

clocker
12-01-2003, 02:03 AM
Yes I did, VB.

The temps and the aesthetics pleased me ( and the HDD, too).

Also I wanted to free up the area in the front of the case for a foam baffled air intake/manifold that I am working on.

Duffman
12-01-2003, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by clocker+1 December 2003 - 00:24--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker &#064; 1 December 2003 - 00:24)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Duffman3@30 November 2003 - 17:17
its crazy andi don&#39;t know if its even making a difference, i wish i had a camera
Making a difference in what?

Maybe you could draw us a picture of you PC.[/b][/quote]
http://server4.uploadit.org/files/011203-picture.bmp
i drew this B)

SciManAl
12-01-2003, 02:32 AM
yes YOU did... :P

Duffman
12-01-2003, 02:36 AM
lol im so good using paint, but it does look similar, notice the bundle of wires

SciManAl
12-01-2003, 02:42 AM
:D :lol: :P :D :lol: :D :P

lynx
12-01-2003, 03:10 AM
Duffman3: neat. :blink:

clocker: cool&#33; B)

clocker
12-01-2003, 03:14 AM
Duffman,
Your honesty is refreshing.

That is actually what my PC looks like too.
All of my pics are heavily Photoshopped.... :P

Virtualbody1234
12-01-2003, 03:25 AM
All of my pics are heavily Photoshopped....
@Clocker. HaHa, now we find out the truth. :angry:

Hey Duffman3, next time when in paint use: file>save as and select .jpg at the bottom. Your pictures will be much fewer bytes than that one. That&#39;s 431 KBs. :o

Even better would be to use Photoshop to reduce the filesize:

http://server4.uploadit.org/files/011203-011203-picture.gif

This one here for example is only 11 KBs.

clocker
12-01-2003, 03:28 AM
That may be true, VB, but your version lacks the immediacy and vibrant impact of the original...

Duffman
12-01-2003, 03:29 AM
lol, it was a joke a quick 30 second picture not 5 minutes of wasted human time i could have spent wasting my life in some other way

Virtualbody1234
12-01-2003, 03:33 AM
Oh, I didn&#39;t know it took some people 5 minutes to &#39;save as&#39; a .jpg. My mistake.

Duffman
12-01-2003, 03:53 AM
hey lets not be a smartass, i didn&#39;t want to save-as again and use photoshop

Virtualbody1234
12-01-2003, 04:45 AM
Sorry, I did say "My mistake." :P