PDA

View Full Version : Best Dialogue: Kevin Smith Vs Quentin Tarantino

Ninja Monkey
12-01-2003, 08:04 PM
Clerks vs Pulp Fiction, Mall Rats & Dogma vs Resevoir Dogs, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back & Chasing amy vs Jackie Brown.

I know these movies are completly different and its kinda weird to put them up against each other. the length of Quentin's movies does make it rather difficult to compare ONE other movie thats most likely half the length. But i kinda consider myself a movie buff and just wanted to start a board for other movie buffs to be able to discus and debate about sweet movies and brilliant directors like these!

Best Writers/Directors:

Quentin Tarantino

Kevin Smith

Coen Bros.

Guy Ritchie

Wilson Bros.

etc.

anyway, HAVE FUN!

DWk
12-01-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Ninja Monkey@1 December 2003 - 13:04
But i kinda consider myself a movie buff and just wanted to start a board for other movie buffs to be able to discus and debate about sweet movies and brilliant directors like these!
uhhhh.... theres a board called like that.....what was it..... oh yea its called MOVIEWORLD! and guess what! YOU'RE IN IT :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

this is what i like to call....

:spam: :spam: :spam: :spam:

bujub22
12-01-2003, 11:13 PM
that was funny dwk but really QT got it locked he's the man

shad0w
12-01-2003, 11:45 PM
Kevin Smith is a fat-smelly-stupid-bastard with no true intellect. To even consider him brilliant would be like eating sh!t and calling it a gourmet meal.

Memento
12-02-2003, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by shad0w@1 December 2003 - 23:45
Kevin Smith is a fat-smelly-stupid-bastard with no true intellect. To even consider him brilliant would be like eating sh!t and calling it a gourmet meal.
if any of u didnt realise shadow is not a kevin smith fan

bujub22
12-02-2003, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by shad0w@1 December 2003 - 23:45
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ninja Monkey
12-02-2003, 11:27 PM
Im guessing Shad0w's brain has not learned to process the uniqueness of Kevin Smiths work. my dear boy, Kevin Smith though you may not be able to understand his witty dialogue hidden in perverse conversation's that everyday people would have is with out a doubt the most BRILLIANT writer of our time.
now go watch some more Sponge Bob Square Pants, or whatever you are use to.

Ninja Monkey
12-02-2003, 11:29 PM
Im guessing Shad0w's brain has not learned to process the uniqueness of Kevin Smiths work. my dear boy, Kevin Smith though you may not be able to understand his witty dialogue hidden in perverse conversation's that everyday people would have is with out a doubt ONE of the most BRILLIANT writer of our time.
now go watch some more Sponge Bob Square Pants, or whatever you are use to.

Ninja Monkey
12-02-2003, 11:37 PM
DWk, i know im in MOVIEWORLD. that it why i posted this. i wanted to talk about something more intellegent then your favourite Back to the Future movie.

bujub22
12-03-2003, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Ninja Monkey@2 December 2003 - 23:37
DWk, i know im in MOVIEWORLD. that it why i posted this. i wanted to talk about something more intellegent then your favourite Back to the Future movie.
:lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :)

DWk
12-03-2003, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by Ninja Monkey@2 December 2003 - 16:37
whats something not intelligent in BTTF Trilogy!??!?!?!?! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Schmiggy_JK23
12-03-2003, 01:22 AM
Kevin smith's dialouge is top notch.

hell, hes even known in his comics for amazing writing... though sometimes overly verbose...

but its still good stuff...

kryptonian sperm blowing a hole in her uterus... priceless...

Alex H
12-03-2003, 01:31 AM
Although Tarantino has made some of the slickest scenes in modern films, I'm going to have to side with Kevin Smith. Clerks is probably the classic "early work" where he was developing his style (read good concept that didn't quite make the grade) and later on, Dogma was just brilliant and damned funny.

Guy Ritchie has somehow managed to turn 100+ minutes of music clips into a film. And done it WELL; some of the most entertaining movies in years.

ilw
12-03-2003, 03:31 PM
The script from Full metal Jacket especially near the beginning is imo the best ever, nothing I've seen comes close. I suppose its more of a monologue since the replies are generally yes sir or no sir, but its still brilliant.
If anyones curious, http://www.sawnoff.demon.co.uk/script.txt

ezyryder
12-03-2003, 03:47 PM
Yes, the start to Full Metal Jacket is brilliant, agreed.

Kevin Smith, yeah i think he has a fantastic style not that unlike Tarantino's. I do however preffer Tarantino but couldn't say who was the better.

clocker
12-03-2003, 04:01 PM
The "Which character will reach the $100 bill first?" scene from Chasing Amy is still one of the funniest bits from a recent movie.

In fact, I rate Chasing Amy as the best Kevin Smith movie of all. Jay and Silent Bob are wonderful minor characters, but I never thought they could carry a whole film.

bujub22
12-03-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by clocker@3 December 2003 - 16:01
The "Which character will reach the $100 bill first?" scene from Chasing Amy is still one of the funniest bits from a recent movie.

In fact, I rate Chasing Amy as the best Kevin Smith movie of all. Jay and Silent Bob are wonderful minor characters, but I never thought they could carry a whole film.
what :angry: jay and silent bob were good in strikes back i like that movie and dogma was better than chasing amy but that is u pick tho <_<

Gripper
12-03-2003, 05:01 PM
loved the bit in Dogma when Silent Bob chucks the angel off the train and says his first line in the film(I think)"No ticket",funniest thing I&#39;ve seen in a while,why is it that the simplest things are often the funniest?? :lol: :D :lol: :D

ahctlucabbuS
12-03-2003, 08:04 PM
I found Dogma to be pretty boring. It was pretty much mediocrity. I loved Clerks though.

zinc1
12-03-2003, 08:59 PM
I haven&#39;t seen Clerks,But the other two Dogma And Chasing Amy I did find extremely funny.
I thought that Dogma was slightly better then Chasing Amy.But that is my opinion anyway. :)

The question about who is better Tarantino or smith,I think they&#39;re both good in their own departments and are both completely different,they have their own specialities and trademarks.

Ninja Monkey
12-03-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by ilw@3 December 2003 - 15:31
The script from Full metal Jacket especially near the beginning is imo the best ever, nothing I&#39;ve seen comes close. I suppose its more of a monologue since the replies are generally yes sir or no sir, but its still brilliant.
If anyones curious, http://www.sawnoff.demon.co.uk/script.txt
Oh, yeah. I forgot to put Stanley Kubrick in my list. I have a big brother who went through USMCOCS (United States Marine Core Officer Candidate School), and thankfully graduated. And from what he said, Sgt. Hartmen&#39;s diolougue wasn&#39;t an exageration at all. Here&#39;s some of my favorite lines from HIS drill seargents:

"Boy, you about one ticktack away from down syndrome&#33;"

"Candidate [so-in-so], yo breath stinks&#33; Smells like a little man in yo mouth been tap-dancin&#39; on ya toungue with shit on his shoes&#33;"

...Gee... That&#39;s all I can remember right now. I remember there were plenty more, so next time I see him, I&#39;ll be sure to ask him.

clocker
12-03-2003, 10:33 PM
May as well toss the Coen brothers into the mix also.

Fargo is the best (if not only) example of a completely deadpan comedy that I can think of.