PDA

View Full Version : Got My New Video Card

Duffman
12-02-2003, 01:58 AM
Well guys, went shopping a wee bit today got myself an ATI RAEDON ALL-IN-WONDER 9000 PRO, and i gotta tell you i like it, i can record tv like tivo, definitly putting a dvd-r and hard drive on the x-mas list its great, but heres my question.
I know its a video editing sort car but it does have 64 mb, and my current nvidia had only 32mb is the new one def. better?

clocker
12-02-2003, 02:01 AM
Duffman, that is a silly question.
What do you think?

You have seen and used both cards, why don't you tell us what your opinion is based on real life experience?
Numbers lie.
Your eyes don't.

Duffman
12-02-2003, 02:03 AM
Well i would assume but i hear certain cards perform better and i haven't tested it very well yet, actually i got restart try the video editing software and then im playing simpsons hit 'n run and well see if it performs better

edit - its got a nifty remote :lol:

clocker
12-02-2003, 02:06 AM
Isn't it a liitle late in the day to be worrying about stuff that you have heard?

After all, you already went out and bought the damn card!

What would you do if I told you it was crap?

Duffman
12-02-2003, 02:13 AM
good point, um toss it out the window as if it were some type of frisbee or flying disk, diskette, saucer or cd

TheFilePirater
12-02-2003, 02:15 AM
i wanted the all-in-wonder, then i figured out the small memory and i am starting to be a hardcore gamer :P ....it looks good tho, remote, tv-out/in...ect. but its what you like, no1 can give u the "perfect card"...its like ur not gonan want a 3gig $999,999.999 card if ur just gonna play pong

EDIT:TO CLOCKER "Oh, so the computer's stupid, not you?!?" - Nick Burns (Jimmy F.) SNL

Duffman
12-02-2003, 02:56 AM
well it was 1804 but with circuit citys price match i think its gonna go onsale and ill get some money back but its better that the card i have now so its win win win win win

clocker
12-02-2003, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by Duffman3@1 December 2003 - 19:56
its better that the card i have now so its win win win win win
Can you really ask for more?

Duffman
12-02-2003, 03:23 AM
no honestly no, but i ran 3dmarks2001 and scored a benchmark of 5041 but hwat does that mean?

what was you sig?

clocker
12-02-2003, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by Duffman3@1 December 2003 - 20:23
no honestly no, but i ran 3dmarks2001 and scored a benchmark of 5041 but hwat does that mean?

In and of itself it doesn't mean much, really.
http://server4.uploadit.org/files/021203-3d%20mark2.jpg
We can play "My dick is bigger than yours" if you'd like...

Your test score will be very useful as you begin to tweak your settings however.
Make a change, rerun the test.
See if it gets better.
Repeat again.
And again.
Until you run of things to change or your scores start goingdown.

Duffman
12-02-2003, 03:45 AM
change things like what, and a few more questions about overclocking, what is it, how do i do it, is it good?

raiserblade2003
12-02-2003, 03:54 AM
your vid card option. like aa and stuff like htat. and ocing your card will make your scores go up.

Edit: fine ill unabrieviating lol

vid card - video cad

aa- if you dont what that is then you prob havent set it, so dont need to worry about that.

ocing- overclock

Duffman
12-02-2003, 03:55 AM
im a lil new here less abrieviating more attempted spelling

raiserblade2003
12-02-2003, 03:56 AM
yea, hwat was your sig?

oh and duff, have you try plying games w/ that card? how does it run?

Duffman
12-02-2003, 03:58 AM
im playing hit n run and the sound kinda stopped working with the nvidia now its working great with the ati nothing to complain about yet

clocker
12-02-2003, 04:02 AM
Not asking for much, are we?

First install Omega drivers. (http://www.omegacorner.com/index_ati.html).
Installation of these drivers will also give you a tweaking program which you can access through Control Panel>Display>Settings>Advanced. There you will find a tab called "clock rate". It will be set at your BIOS default... in my case that is 274.5MHz.
You can raise these ( I keep the two settings, memory and core, synced) and run the test. Mine are currently at 310.5MHz. Keep going until the test crashes and then back down to your last good setting.
DO NOT just jump up to my setting.
Take it slow and see how your set up responds.
Run 3D Mark after every change. Seriously.
This will take a lot of time, but it is the only way.

In your BIOS you may have a AGP aperture setting. This is how much of your system memory you are willing to allocate to the video card. If possible make changes here and see if that helps.

You will get deathly sick of watching Neo in the lobby, but ultimately it will be time well spent.

Let us know how it goes.

Duffman
12-02-2003, 04:06 AM
well i got a new toy and i like it now i wanna make it better, i got the dog now i wanna pet it and give it a bone and feed and walk and tahnks for the info clocky :dog:

clocker
12-02-2003, 04:09 AM
You're welcome.

My video card responds well to a little scratch on the belly.

bob_the_alien
12-02-2003, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by clocker@1 December 2003 - 22:09
You're welcome.

My video card responds well to a little scratch on the belly.
:lol: :P :lol:

Duffman
12-02-2003, 05:22 AM
how high can i go im up to 305 but im only up to a lil over 7k

clocker
12-02-2003, 05:43 AM
Do you know how to reset your CMOS?

Before you go any further, now is the time to learn, because the only way to tell just how far you can go is to go TOO far.
Your machine will crash and will refuse to boot until you clear the CMOS back to default and reset everything.
That means that you have to reset your BIOS back to the way you want it, too.

TheFilePirater
12-02-2003, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by clocker@2 December 2003 - 03:43
We can play "My dick is bigger than yours" if you'd like...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Duffman
12-02-2003, 09:08 PM
well teach, teach

Kunal
12-02-2003, 09:22 PM
there will be kind of a switch near yourr cmos battery, you press that in (i think)

clocker
12-03-2003, 12:02 AM
Typically the CMOS is a three pin header and a jumper connects two of the pins. With the pc turned off, you remove the jumper and connect the other pin momentarily and then put it back as it was. Like so...
http://www.cpubuilders.com/support/cbbb02/faq/002a.jpg
You MUST know the specifics of your board, this pic is only a reference.
My arrangement is exactly the opposite of this pic, for instance.

Once you clear the CMOS, you are back to ground zero BIOS-wise.
You will have to go into BIOS and reset everything, from the system clock to your boot preferences to your FSB freq...everything. If you have never done this it can appear daunting ( and indeed, a screwup in the BIOS can be a pain to track down), but after some practise it is quite simple. I can go thru mine in under a minute now.
Before you try anything, maybe you could go into BIOS and make a note of all the settings you currently have so you can duplicate them when necessary.