PDA

View Full Version : 15º South, 15º North

Leech_Killer
02-13-2003, 10:15 AM
I don't know if this happened or if it's an urban myth, but I've come across it many times over the years, you decide.

The following is the transcript of an ACTUAL radio conversation in October 1995, between a US Navy ship off the coast of England, and the British. The transcript was released by the MoD on 10/10/95.

BRITS: Please divert your course 15 degrees to the South, to avoid a collision.

AMERICANS: Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees to the North, to avoid a collision

BRITS: Negative. You will have to divert your course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

AMERICANS: This is the Captain of a US Navy ship. I say again, divert YOUR course.

BRITS: Negative. I say again. You will have to divert your course.

AMERICANS: (shouting) THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS LINCOLN. THE SECOND LARGEST SHIP IN THE UNITED STATES' ATLANTIC FLEET. WE ARE ACCOMPANIED BY THREE DESTROYERS, THREE CRUISERS, AND NUMEROUS SUPPORT VESSELS. I DEMAND THAT YOU CHANGE YOUR COURSE 15 DEGREES NORTH. THAT'S 15 DEGREES NORTH, OR COUNTER MEASURES WILL BE UNDERTAKEN TO ENSURE THE SAFETY OF THIS SHIP.

BRITS: We are a lighthouse and we're not moving anywhere.

Zardoz
02-13-2003, 10:51 AM
Please, Please. Let it be true.

ROFL

CW64
02-14-2003, 01:52 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: That was good

TEZZ
02-14-2003, 01:54 AM
Its a myth, heard it many times.

Last time it was the Americans & Canadians.
With the Candians looking stupid.

Insert any country you like :)

dj_afro_t
02-14-2003, 02:12 AM
Um... if you think it's the Brits (Canadians, whatever) that look stupid, I don't think you get the joke.

Logan-Grimnar
02-14-2003, 02:53 AM
Yeah...it's the Americans who look stupid in this joke not the Brits...
The Brits are telling the truth, they CAN'T move cause it's a lighthouse they're in....

Shinigami_[R.I.P.]
02-14-2003, 05:12 AM
ahh, us Americans LOL... sure sounds like it! :lol: :lol: :D

share4uk
02-14-2003, 06:07 AM
Ive heard this joke a few times over the years... Its great :D

Another Cadaver
02-14-2003, 07:17 AM
Everybody has their patsy.

I read an article in some Irish newspaper that put it somehting like this:\\

Europeans make fun of the French. The French make fun of the English. The English make fun of the Welsh. The Welsh make fun of the Irish. The Irish make fun of Irish people from County Kerry....

It could be said:

The world makes fun of Americans. Americans make fun of Midwesterners. Midwesterners make fun of Oklahomans. Oklahomans make fun of people from Talequah.

ShareDaddy
02-14-2003, 02:05 PM
This is the transcript of the radio conversation of a British Naval ship and the Irish, off the coast of Kerry, Oct 95. Radio conversation released by the Chief of Naval Operations 10-10-95:

IRISH: Please divert your course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

BRITISH: Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees to the North to avoid a collision.

IRISH: Negative. You will have to divert your course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

BRITISH: This is the Captain of a British navy ship. I say again, divert YOUR course.

IRISH: Negative. I say again, YOU will have to divert your course.

BRITISH: THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER HMS BRITANNIA. THE SECOND LARGEST SHIP IN THE BRITISH ATLANTIC FLEET. WE ARE ACCOMPANIED BY THREE DESTROYERS, THREE CRUISERS, AND NUMEROUS SUPPORT VESSELS. I DEMAND THAT YOU CHANGE YOUR COURSE 15 DEGREES NORTH, I SAY AGAIN, THAT IS 15 DEGREES NORTH, OR COUNTER-MEASURES WILL BE UNDERTAKEN TO ENSURE THE SAFETY OF THIS SHIP.

IRISH: We are a lighthouse. Your call.

This is how I was told it happened :D :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

Energizer_God
02-14-2003, 06:49 PM
i heard i was a lighthouse off of newfoundland and it's was an american aircraft carrier. This seem true at the time i read it. Very believeable looked like real radio transcripts (or someone put alot of time into it). Because we all know how the U.S. military is, hence the term Big Brother. Even if it is a joke it's more believeable that way

:D :lol: :lol: :P :D :lol: B)

ABEO
02-15-2003, 04:11 AM
True or False its very funny :)

Zardoz
02-20-2003, 12:41 PM
Looks like another missundersanding over patriotism