PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Spec Question

bigdawgfoxx
12-03-2003, 01:56 AM
Hey. Ok on harddrives I know 7200 RPM means repatitions per min and stuff...but what exactly does that mean? I mean what is the performance diff in 7200 and 10000. Worth that much more? I mean what does that increase performance wise that a person would see? Also the 2MB and 8MB of Cache...what does that do?

harrycary
12-03-2003, 02:33 AM
In theory, the faster a hard-drive can spin, the fewer revolutions it needs to access data on it.
Also important is access speeds, shown in milliseconds(ms). It's desired to be as little as possible.
The cache is where data goes before it is processed onto your motherboard. No moving parts here, so, movement of data is much quicker. The concept is similar to increasing your systems' memory. The larger the better.

Basically it comes down to moving data. You want any mechanical moving parts to move as fast as possible.

In the near future, you will see solid-state hardrives(no moving parts) and speed will become a non-issue.

edit: Your software, PC configuration, etc will affect the speed at which data moves throughout your system. It's hard to tell you what real-world performance you will get. Especially since PC performance has almost plateaued. I mean, until 64 bit processing and other technologies become more common, most new PCs perform plenty fast for the average user.

In my opinion, configuring your PC to run as lean as possible will give you the best performance.

I'm sure others may contribute more. But, that's the basics of it.

bigdawgfoxx
12-03-2003, 02:39 AM
Solid State harddrives?? Wont something always have to move? Also...I have a 7200 and I duno the cache size..2MB at most prob. Newayz...when you say access...WHAT do you access? Is it when you click your C: drive under My Computer? Cuz mines instant.

clocker
12-03-2003, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@2 December 2003 - 19:39
when you say access...WHAT do you access? Is it when you click your C: drive under My Computer? Cuz mines instant.
Data, Dawg, data.

Any time you ask you machine to do anything it has to hunt up the appropriate data to execute your wish. The faster the HDD spins the faster that data is found.
That is why a heavily fragmented disk is slower... the bits of data are spread all over hell and gone and it takes a while to round them up and read 'em.

_John_Lennon_
12-03-2003, 04:04 AM
Originally posted by clocker+2 December 2003 - 23:01--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 2 December 2003 - 23:01)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigdawgfoxx@2 December 2003 - 19:39
when you say access...WHAT do you access? Is it when you click your C: drive under My Computer?&nbsp; Cuz mines instant.
Data, Dawg, data.

[/b][/quote]
Indeed, it is more noticable thus on say, moving bigger applications, or something of that sort, pulling up big files etc etc etc,

Thats why they put the cheaper drives, 5400 RPM, 2MB cache in the budget computers, because the performance would be less noticable if you are using the comp for its best suited apps (simple stuff, word processing, surfing net, casual stuff.)

Twist3r
12-03-2003, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by harrycary@3 December 2003 - 03:33
In theory, the faster a hard-drive can spin, the fewer revolutions it needs to access data on it.
Also important is access speeds, shown in milliseconds(ms). It&#39;s desired to be as little as possible.
The cache is where data goes before it is processed onto your motherboard. No moving parts here, so, movement of data is much quicker. The concept is similar to increasing your systems&#39; memory. The larger the better.

Basically it comes down to moving data. You want any mechanical moving parts to move as fast as possible.

In the near future, you will see solid-state hardrives(no moving parts) and speed will become a non-issue.

edit: Your software, PC configuration, etc will affect the speed at which data moves throughout your system. It&#39;s hard to tell you what real-world performance you will get. Especially since PC performance has almost plateaued. I mean, until 64 bit processing and other technologies become more common, most new PCs perform plenty fast for the average user.

In my opinion, configuring your PC to run as lean as possible will give you the best performance.

I&#39;m sure others may contribute more. But, that&#39;s the basics of it.
daaamn thats one sexy avatar :D :D :D http://members.cox.net/tonymarchese/erotic55.jpg
http://members.cox.net/tonymarchese/erotic55.jpg

:D :lol: :D

bigdawgfoxx
12-03-2003, 04:39 AM
Oh ok. So computer performance such as opening programs and stuff heavily realise on the HD speed?

clocker
12-03-2003, 04:48 AM
No one part of your system determines it&#39;s performance.
Everything has to work together.
But, the faster the better is generally true.

harrycary
12-03-2003, 05:35 AM
Oh ok. So computer performance such as opening programs and stuff heavily realize on the HD speed?

Yep. The fewer programs you&#39;ve got running, the more the hardrive will work at running what programs/operations that are active. That&#39;s why I mentioned running a "lean" machine. Like driving a car without running the A/C, you&#39;ll get better performance. (but these days new PCs will perform quite well when multitasking)

If you&#39;ve got Win2000/NT/Xp/XpPro, then defragging isn&#39;t as necessary. The New Type File System(NTFS) is better at organizing and manipulating data. As opposed to other Windows&#39; versions using File Allocation Tables(FAT) in which data fragments more easily and requires defragging much more regularly.

Btw, a solid state harddrive is just like a flash/jump/USB drive or your PCs memory. They can store and access data much the same way a harddrive can. They are available but still quite expensive and not large enough. But, no moving parts, no wear and tear&#33; And, speed far beyond what a mechanical harddrive can ever deliver. What a beautiful thing that would be.

peace

quiksilver_aus
12-03-2003, 05:38 AM
rpm = revolutions per minute, not repetitions.

i just have a question
is the cache made of flash memory or is it something else?

whatever computer you&#39;re using, no matter how big the hd, you should defrag at least once every 2 weeks. when its been as long as 2 months, you can actually see your computer getting slower and a 40 gig HD can take up to an hour to completely defrag.

btw,
i have a 256mb (flash memory) mp3 player which i can store any type of file on it. maybe its just the USB cable that takes so long, but its really slow. to transfer a full 256 mb takes up to 6 min.

harrycary
12-03-2003, 06:18 AM
i just have a question

I&#39;m not sure. They use either RAM or ROM chips. Maybe the mfg site can better answer that. Tomshardware.com (http://www.tomshardware.com) may also be of some help. I would guess that it is RAM chips though.

whatever computer you&#39;re using, no matter how big the hd, you should defrag at least once every 2 weeks. when its been as long as 2 months, you can actually see your computer getting slower and a 40 gig HD can take up to an hour to completely defrag

The savvy user will partition a harddrive so the O/S and data are separated. This way defragmenting goes real quick and your data is protected if your O/S crashes.

btw,
i have a 256mb (flash memory) mp3 player which i can store any type of file on it. maybe its just the USB cable that takes so long, but its really slow. to transfer a full 256 mb takes up to 6 min.

The throughput speed of a USB port isn&#39;t as good as the bus speed on your motherboard(and that will change in the future). It&#39;s an inherent problem with USB drives. Manufacturers tried solving this with USB 2.0 which is faster.

peace

lynx
12-03-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by quiksilver_aus@3 December 2003 - 04:38
No, it is just standard memory.

Flash memory keeps it&#39;s contents when power is removed, but is relatively slow and expensive.

There&#39;s no need to keep anything in cache when power is removed since it is permanently stored on the disk, so standard (possibly ddr) memory is used.

bigdawgfoxx
12-04-2003, 04:16 AM
Thanks for all the input&#33; Does anyone have a link to one of these "Solid State" harddrives..Id kinda like to see them.

Evil Gemini
12-04-2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@4 December 2003 - 05:16
Thanks for all the input&#33; Does anyone have a link to one of these "Solid State" harddrives..Id kinda like to see them.
So with a solid state, the speed would be deteremnd by the clock speeds of the memory used like ram ???

lynx
12-04-2003, 02:27 PM
They&#39;ve just started advertising solid state drives on TV in the UK. Also called memory sticks. The are pretty small and quite expensive at the moment, but I suppose that will change. Biggest I&#39;ve seen is 1GB.

At the moment, transfer is via USB 2.0, but I don&#39;t know whether that is the limiting factor on speed, or the speed of the memory inside.

I suppose that if it had a fast bus speed, the clock speed of the memory used would determine it&#39;s transfer rate just the same as standard memory.