PDA

View Full Version : Ahhh.......home Again !

peoplespark
02-13-2003, 04:31 PM
Man ! I think i've only ever posted 1 message on this board,i usually find what i need with a well aimed search or three, but after my experiences the last couple of days i think i should get more involved lest i ever think about wandering off the enlightened path again.So having said that.......Just thought i'd share a few thoughts...........

Having reformatted my Hard-Drive for a spanking new clean install of XP(with k++ 2.0.2 top of my reinstall list) I decided to venture back out into the big bad world of filesharing to see was i missing out on anything.

I dived right in at the deep end with no research apart from searching for a "gnutella" client and downloaded and installed "e-donkey"(i think the "e" must stand for evil) i open up the thing and there's all these frickin' ads blinking back at me.Oh shit,says i, and within the blink of an eye i uninstalled it and fired up regcleaner and gave it the old heave ho.None of that ad/spy/tracking bollocks for me,thank you very much !

Next up was "Shareaza" . I chose that one because of the"aza" part and coz i saw it was not bundled with spyware or ads .It was a nightmare to try and figure out the best way to configure the damn thing to maximise my download potential and as for the leafs and ultranodes and ultrapeers,you don't even wanna know mate. I tried it for an hour and managed to download two mp3s (about 3Mb's each) and just quit the damn thing and uninstalled it in frustration (i've used k++ i know that it doesn't have to be that bloody complicated) I know they use different protocols or whatever but come on ,i've better things to be doing with my time than tweaking all the shit in the hope that i'll be chosen (as an ultrapeer.....woooooooo) Oh yeah, and the forum at shareaza is a complete joke compared to the plush sorroundings i find myself in here .
So then i do a bit of research and realise "e-mule" is kinda like a "lite" version of "e-donkey so i go and download that, fire it up easy peasy,no tough firewall config to figure out or anything, just pop in a search and off i go.No ads/spyware as far as i could tell.
So i get a nice number of search results and click on the result with most hosts(40 i think) and start downloading,maxing out at about 20 kps(which aint bad but i usually get at least triple that on k++ with my cable connection) The user interface is simple enough too, but after doing a few more searches i didn't see any bonus in using that instead of k++

At this point i came to my senses, got rid of the whole lot ,fired up k++, commenced four simultaneous downloads, lit a cigarette, and sat back safe in the knowledge that i wasn't missing out on anything and all was right in the world again .

ps.......although i did do one thing that might disgust some people - i installed my old favorite "WinMX" as a back up and rare alternative to k++.
I see "WinMX" as like one of those quiet weirdo kids you used see in school who nobody wants to be around but is pretty interesting when you get to know them.Winmx is where i learned my trade and it will always have a special little place in my heart.........awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
02-13-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by peoplespark@13 February 2003 - 11:31
ps.......although i did do one thing that might disgust some people - i installed my old favorite "WinMX" as a back up and rare alternative to k++.
I see "WinMX" as like one of those quiet weirdo kids you used see in school who nobody wants to be around but is pretty interesting when you get to know them.Winmx is where i learned my trade and it will always have a special little place in my heart.........awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.
:D Hey brother...alot of us use other Peer-to-Peer programs besides Kazaa++...this is a file sharing forum if anything.And yeah WinMX is an old favorite of mine too.....I use to love it.And I still do use it every now and then...great place to pick up Country and Southern Rock if you are into that.Mainly a SoulSeek junky nowadays. :D

And welcome back to the world of file sharing...even with all the hype from the RIAA it seems to only get better every day. :D