PDA

View Full Version : Lcd Monitor

raiserblade2003
12-04-2003, 05:18 AM
well now for the final phase of my comp building project. i have just order a lcd monitor w/ a max res of 1024x768....now i know that even if you guys say "lcd suck for gaming", im still stuck w/ it cuz i cant cancel it now, but is it really that bad for gaming?

and btw, whats up w/ the board this past weeks. a lot of non sense topic and spam every where

camille
12-04-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by raiserblade2003@4 December 2003 - 13:18

and btw, whats up w/ the board this past weeks. a lot of non sense topic and spam every where
How can you be so sure? Are you active for that past weeks?

Evil Gemini
12-04-2003, 09:31 AM
Nah they arent that bad for gaming. You just have to look after them.

The thing i dont like about some LCD's is if you are moving around fast, you get a blur.

backlash
12-04-2003, 02:05 PM
I have an 18.1 LCD that I got from Gateway. I play unreal tournament and unreal tournament 2003 and they play beautifully on it. Can't say I see a difference other than no glare! w00t.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your lcd. As long as it's a good monitor you shouldn't have any problems.

raiserblade2003
12-04-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by camille+4 December 2003 - 08:23--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (camille &#064; 4 December 2003 - 08:23)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-raiserblade2003@4 December 2003 - 13:18

How can you be so sure? Are you active for that past weeks? [/b][/quote]
uhhhh ya, but if you notice i started posting in gameworlds cuz of the boad slump in the past week. im always on this board 2-3 x a day so i woiuld know ..... maybe your the one that hasnt been here

ty for your reply. so then y does ppl keep saying lcd are bad for gaming? shouldn it look better because its an lcd? like a flatscreen tv compare to a regular one. shouldnt the flatscreen look better?

backlash
12-04-2003, 04:41 PM
I think some ppl just like what they like. I think it has to do with the refresh rate. it&#39;s the DIE HARDS that feel this way. But, like i said, I&#39;ve had no problems...I actually prefer the lcds b/c, well, they just look so damn seksi :-D

raiserblade2003
12-04-2003, 10:55 PM
what about dead pixel? what exactly is it? and can it be fix?

backlash
12-05-2003, 01:09 AM
dead pixels, eh? Alrighty. That is an annoying problem with lcds. you always run the risk of getting a dead pixel (off) or an always on pixel (always on). :|

Which sucks, to say the least. Many manufacturers will replace the monitor if a certain amount of these pixels exist, or if they exist too close together. you&#39;d have to read up on their policy for dead pixels.

I, myself, have 2 lcds and the larger has one dead pixel. Actually, I think it&#39;s an always on pixel. I only notice it on certain wallpapers (black ones) and I never see it otherwise...also, the average person would never notice it, however I inspected the monitor thoroughly.

So, there you have it. check their policy on pixels. they say that gently massaging might help, but it didn&#39;t. gotsta cross ur fingers on that one.

bigdawgfoxx
12-05-2003, 01:24 AM
Yeah my friend has like a 19 inch gateway LCD ( :blink: gorgeous lol) and he has like an always on pixel..i think. It is like always white and it kinda buggs me lol.

harrycary
12-05-2003, 01:24 AM
LCD simply don&#39;t have the reaction speed that a CRT has. The pixels are on/off(like a window shutter). It&#39;s this on/off that is slow. I mean, the response time of pixels is slow compared to what a CRT can do. It&#39;s a given fact that CRTs are better over all. I mean this objectively. If you own an LCD, and are happy with it, fine. Everyones&#39; perception is different. I&#39;m merely speaking from a technical perspective. LCDs are passive. They don&#39;t produce light and are backlit by a florescent light source. Whereas CRT monitors are "active" and actually produce colored light(red/blue/green).

As far as dead pixels go. This is a pixel that doesn&#39;t work(stuck in the "off" position). Most LCD manufacturers have an allowance of dead pixels before considering the monitor defective. For example, your new monitor may have 3 dead pixels but the manufacturer says we won&#39;t repair/replace it unless it has more then 3 pixels dead. Kinda sucks but there ain&#39;t shit anyone can do about it.

You can&#39;t fix a dead pixel. The LCD panel within the monitor must be replaced as a whole.

There&#39;s more to it but that&#39;s the basics of it. Check howstuffworks.com (http://www.howstuffworks.com) for more info..

raiserblade2003
12-05-2003, 03:17 AM
so if its stuck in the off position. then it really should be notice right? i mean at 1024x768 thats a whole lot of pixel to notice one dead pixel

abu_has_the_power
12-05-2003, 03:53 AM
@raiserblade: wat pc r u building. wanna give us a heads up on specs? and r u still buying my card? :huh: