PDA

View Full Version : It occurs to me...

j2k4
03-05-2021, 10:00 PM
...how glad I am this place is still here, however attenuated it's status. ;)

shaina
03-05-2021, 10:42 PM
...how glad I am this place is still here, however attenuated it's status. ;)

In what way??

j2k4
03-06-2021, 03:19 PM
Activity is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down from it this board's heyday.

shaina
03-06-2021, 07:30 PM
Activity is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down from it this board's heyday.

What do you think is that cause??

j2k4
03-06-2021, 08:26 PM
Social media, of course, and the influence of cell-phone behaviors.

Boards like this were sort of the last bastion of proper reflection and debate.

Barbarossa
03-08-2021, 09:59 AM

Also streaming.

People used to come here and chat while waiting for stuff to download. Now they watch stuff as it downloads...

anon
03-08-2021, 12:38 PM
Somewhere along the way, the attractive of the Internet shifted from meeting strangers from all over the world who were into the same hobbies as you to talking about work and everyday fripperies with people you already know. Facebook took over that. Reddit absorbed most of the remainder, as it's essentially a huge "forum" with subcategories for absolutely every topic imaginable, all in a single place. Telegram groups are also pretty popular, despite the fact I personally find the interface very unwieldy and impractical for any sort of communal discussion.

As for this forum in particular, it's a combination of the above plus filesharing in general being on the decline for a long time now (at least for mainstream content). The lounge remains fairly active, though, even if heavyweights from the old days have parted ways or are hibernating :)

Caballero
03-08-2021, 07:55 PM

Also streaming.

People used to come here and chat while waiting for stuff to download. Now they watch stuff as it downloads...

Ah, yes, I remember the joys of bi-directional Zmodem. That's how it all started! :)

Caballero
03-08-2021, 07:57 PM
Somewhere along the way, the attractive of the Internet shifted from meeting strangers from all over the world who were into the same hobbies as you [...]

Apropos, whatever happened to Chat Roulette? :D

j2k4
03-08-2021, 09:49 PM

Also streaming.

Zackly.

Good God, the Audiogalaxy days.

Which then begat The Drawing Room.

Heady days...:lol:

Barbs, who else here is senior to me?

There are a few, eh?

j2k4
03-08-2021, 09:52 PM
Somewhere along the way, the attractive of the Internet shifted from meeting strangers from all over the world who were into the same hobbies as you to talking about work and everyday fripperies with people you already know. Facebook took over that. Reddit absorbed most of the remainder, as it's essentially a huge "forum" with subcategories for absolutely every topic imaginable, all in a single place. Telegram groups are also pretty popular, despite the fact I personally find the interface very unwieldy and impractical for any sort of communal discussion.

As for this forum in particular, it's a combination of the above plus filesharing in general being on the decline for a long time now (at least for mainstream content). The lounge remains fairly active, though, even if heavyweights from the old days have parted ways or are hibernating :)

I know several who literally DLed their fill and stopped doing anything except surfing.

anon
03-09-2021, 02:57 AM
Apropos, whatever happened to Chat Roulette? :D

I have no idea, but this is the Internet, so I guess they transformed into Chaturbate.

anon
03-09-2021, 02:57 AM
I know several who literally DLed their fill and stopped doing anything except surfing.

Well, that can happen when you have so much stuff you don't know where and when to start watching/listening/playing... :(

Barbarossa
03-09-2021, 09:50 AM
Also streaming.

Zackly.

There are a few, eh?

I actually don't know of anyone else from 2001 or 2002 who is still here

j2k4
03-09-2021, 09:53 PM

We're pretty special, then.

We should spend as long as we can being worshipped. ;)

shaina
03-10-2021, 12:39 AM

:hug:

j2k4
03-10-2021, 01:00 AM

:hug:

Just so.

RPerry
03-11-2021, 03:21 PM
Zackly.

There are a few, eh?

I'm still here, every once in awhile :whistling

Something Else
03-11-2021, 08:40 PM

Also streaming.

Sad times indeed. I still wait and post pish myself. It's so much more satisfying than the instant gratification route.

j2k4
03-11-2021, 10:06 PM
I'm still here, every once in awhile :whistling

Ah, so you are.

That makes three of us - we should hire a lobbyist. :D

Also streaming.

Sad times indeed. I still wait and post pish myself. It's so much more satisfying than the instant gratification route.

We'll all be archived and ignored.

Something Else
03-18-2021, 05:23 PM
Like so many good collections of everything. It's the way of the future, but also the passed.

j2k4
03-18-2021, 08:30 PM
Evidence of our presence here will be used to crucify us posthumously...I predict.

Something Else
03-20-2021, 01:45 AM
Jesus Fucking Christ. Harsh times ahead then, butt also behind.

RPerry
03-22-2021, 02:44 PM
Ah, so you are.

That makes three of us - we should hire a lobbyist. :D

I nominate Funky Capricorn, good luck finding him

j2k4
03-22-2021, 08:11 PM
Now, there's an idea...

RPerry
03-23-2021, 05:18 PM
Now, there's an idea...

It wasn't a random choice, It was based on what happened when TRX tried to take over the board, demoted everyone from admin/mod and then somehow had the great idea to make him mod. In the background, it was the funniest shit ever because he was doing everything he could to undermine them. not bad for a " Soulseek" guy

j2k4
03-23-2021, 08:29 PM
Always liked him.

I like the idea as well.

Pondering commences...

IdolEyes787
03-23-2021, 08:44 PM
I've been here for over 13 years and yet I don't have the foggiest clue what the fuck you are talking about. Next time someone accuses me of living in the past I'm going to point them at this thread and try and confuse them with some false equivalency bullshit.

j2k4
03-23-2021, 08:57 PM
Memories are dimming, but Funky was pretty entertaining.

He capitalized some of the letters in in his board name - can't search properly without the details...:huh:

IdolEyes787
03-23-2021, 09:04 PM
Also, I've been here 13 years and this is a totally true story, I can't remember the name of a single person who hasn't posted here within the last six months. So basically j2k4 and that's it.

j2k4
03-23-2021, 10:39 PM
And not barbie??!?!!

IdolEyes787
03-23-2021, 11:19 PM
Is that the guy from the X-files? Because I vaguely remember him being funny for a midget.

Barbarossa
03-24-2021, 08:53 AM
:ermm:

There was a time when Mulder was treating the lounge like his own personal blog, I quite enjoyed that. It's been a while since he posted though.

Something Else
03-24-2021, 11:20 AM
Mulder's blog is the only one I have ever enjoyed. I miss him.

IdolEyes787
03-24-2021, 09:42 PM
I remember another person who use to post on the board -Rart. But then he was Asian so it's probably more likely he was murdered than technically left.

shaina
03-24-2021, 09:48 PM
I remember another person who use to post on the board -Rart. But then he was Asian so it's probably more likely he was murdered than technically left.

Is this your new kick??

Always remember there is a Billion more, and i can guarantee, will never be a minority;)

IdolEyes787
03-24-2021, 09:54 PM
My limited intelligence only lets me fixate on one thing at a time.

shaina
03-24-2021, 10:04 PM
My limited intelligence only lets me fixate on one thing at a time.

Yup that makes sense ;):hug:

anon
03-28-2021, 10:28 AM

He capitalized some of the letters in in his board name - can't search properly without the details...:huh:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=FuNkY+CaPrIcOrN&defid=1151114 :unsure:

anon
03-28-2021, 10:29 AM
Also, I've been here 13 years and this is a totally true story, I can't remember the name of a single person who hasn't posted here within the last six months. So basically j2k4 and that's it.

Oh be nice, I'm fairly sure I posted in the New Year thread. :rolleyes:

j2k4
03-28-2021, 02:02 PM

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=FuNkY+CaPrIcOrN&defid=1151114 :unsure:

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=FuNkY%20CaPrIcOrN)

Yeah, that's our boy. :D

Thanks, anon.

Where he at?

And where is Lamsey?

anon
04-02-2021, 05:37 PM
Where he at?

And where is Lamsey?

Well, I don't have a PhD in FSTology like some of you :D But I have spent quite some time browsing old threads here, and the same question could be asked of many other formerly active members... to this day, I find it weird how someone can make thousands of posts and many friends, then one day drop out completely and never return. But interests change, life keeps throwing responsibilities at you, and "saying hi on his forum where I used to post 'x' years ago and may not even be remembered anymore" tends to rank not too high in a priority list. Sad, but understandable.

IdolEyes787
04-02-2021, 06:17 PM
No one needs a excuse when they've done something praiseworthy. Just saying.

ex·cuse
verb
/ikˈskyo͞oz/
attempt to lessen the blame attaching to (a fault or offense); seek to defend or justify.

j2k4
04-02-2021, 08:00 PM
Where he at?

And where is Lamsey?

Well, I don't have a PhD in FSTology like some of you :D But I have spent quite some time browsing old threads here, and the same question could be asked of many other formerly active members... to this day, I find it weird how someone can make thousands of posts and many friends, then one day drop out completely and never return. But interests change, life keeps throwing responsibilities at you, and "saying hi on his forum where I used to post 'x' years ago and may not even be remembered anymore" tends to rank not too high in a priority list. Sad, but understandable.

Came a point for me where I didn't feel I was able to hold up my end.

FST brought me here, and the Lounge and Drawing Room held me.

There was a place to hold forth on important stuff - or just socialize - on an International Forum filled with small-time cyber-thieves. :D

Time begins to win more often than you'd like, and something has to give.

No one needs a excuse when they've done something praiseworthy. Just saying.

ex·cuse
verb
/ikˈskyo͞oz/
attempt to lessen the blame attaching to (a fault or offense); seek to defend or justify.

Meg can make his own.

anon
04-02-2021, 08:28 PM

The lounge is the only section that manages to stay fresh no matter how long you've been here :happy:

j2k4
04-02-2021, 09:07 PM

The lounge is the only section that manages to stay fresh no matter how long you've been here :happy:

Agreed.

Too many other places to dump your ideological load these days; but nowhere else I've found to argue with Danes and Brits...

Something Else
04-02-2021, 11:53 PM
By Danes, I assume you are referring to her maj's vag.

j2k4
04-03-2021, 03:43 PM
Damn, now I'm thinking again - girl who had a baby in what, '04-5?

Her BF was a member, too.

And speaking of Canucks, where's Nikkid?

And Jonno?

j2k4
04-03-2021, 03:44 PM
By Danes, I assume you are referring to her maj's vag.

Sure, that too.

It's a wide net we're casting...

Something Else
04-05-2021, 07:32 PM
A very wide, very old and possibly haunted net.

^^^ Lil Bo & Proper Miss. or Cheesegurl and Crab :unsure:

j2k4
04-05-2021, 10:50 PM
A very wide, very old and possibly haunted net.

^^^ Lil Bo & Proper Miss. or Cheesegurl and Crab :unsure:

And Lamsey, lilmiss, and Skweeky, who had the baby.

She sent me a pic, it's around here somewhere...

We were all gonna have a pow-wow somewhere in Ontario, which was originally intended to be a pub in the UK somewhere, but I believe fisticuffs were threatened, and the Canadian venue was suggested as the alternative.

I think we were all about half-serious.

All the remembering goes uncomfortably with a like amount of forgetting.

Melancholy R me. :sad:

RPerry
04-07-2021, 02:44 PM
Damn, now I'm thinking again - girl who had a baby in what, '04-5?

Her BF was a member, too.

And speaking of Canucks, where's Nikkid?

And Jonno?

http://northernexpressions.blogspot.com/

Nikki

**Edit: I just realized she hasn't updated her blog in quite some time, but she does update her facebook page.

j2k4
04-07-2021, 08:00 PM
I thank you for that, sir.

I'll commence thinking of her loudly and ponder how else she might be coaxed to appear.

Why are people so reticent to intrude these days?

Especially me, ffs.

IdolEyes787
04-07-2021, 08:58 PM

I'll commence thinking of her loudly and ponder how else she might be coaxed to appear.

You could try pointing at some needles. She seems to be big into that.

j2k4
04-07-2021, 09:34 PM

You could try pointing at some needles. She seems to be big into that.

ironic another-'nother female board pal - automotive specie - is off into that sort of thing; has a business and all.