PDA

View Full Version : Magnet, Subwoffer, Pc

bob_the_alien
12-04-2003, 10:20 AM
Ok, I've got a large Subwoofer box that is made for a car, but It has allot of room in the back, I was thinking about trying a project and making this into a pc.

Also, but then I began to think about it, and Magnets do not go so well with any type of magnetic storage. And a Subwoofer has a huge magnet on the back of it.

So what do you guys think, do you think it would hurt the PC.
It's not like it's going to be touching it, but it will have a small magnetic field coming off.
I may end up trying it anyway, I have many old parts, that I really wouldn't care if they get trashed or not.

It would just be cool, have the pc hooked into the sub, and maybe add tweeters with a zip pull wires, so they stay attached.
The sub box isn't just a black box like many others. It's a silver felt box, with plexi glass and mirrors surrounding the front, Great place for lights. And it’s a ported sub, so already have two air vents on the top.
I just think it could make a great looking PC case. :D

camille
12-04-2003, 10:33 AM
Of course, especially the hard drive. Make sure it's also away from TV. You can attach some audio devices i.e. RCA plug and cable going to your PC. Just don't bring the woofer near to appliances that will be hurt.

Lamsey
12-04-2003, 11:28 AM
I also wouldn't be happy about the large amounts of vibration coming from the subwoofer - that would screw with your components.

Nice idea, but impractical :(

Evil Gemini
12-04-2003, 12:55 PM
Actually, sub woofers are ok just as long as they are magnetically sheilded or not to close to your hardware.

I built a sub woofer a while ago with two 10" 250 WATT subs in it and i got to tell ya, it rocked the house :D

I swear, it was so damn bassy and powerfull that when turned just a quarter up, it made you feel like your chest was caving in on itself.

So like i said. Put it in a good spot and get some magnetically shielding material and you should be ok.

(Incase your wondering what the box is like for my sub, this is basically it but it also has port holes in the middle board and the back too.)

http://server4.uploadit.org/files/041203-my%20sub%20design.JPG

camille
12-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Sub-woofer enhances the quality of sound system but it's irritating to your chest/lungs and of course to your neighbors.

Pitbul
12-04-2003, 02:08 PM
kinda like Tweeters. i used to have a full system in an old truck and when u'd crank it up it'd vibrate your whole chest and could sometimes feel heavy to breath

lynx
12-04-2003, 02:32 PM
Part of the way a sub-woofer works is the airbox. Filling up the space with sharp-edged computer hardware is probably going to screw up your sound.

clocker
12-04-2003, 02:34 PM
Is the concept here that both the PC and the subwoofer would be functional?
Or is this a PC disguised as a speaker enclosure?

camille
12-04-2003, 02:46 PM
There's an advantage, it could help your earwax to fall down. Joke only lol...lol...

AndrewBarker
12-04-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by bob_the_alien@4 December 2003 - 10:20
Also, but then I began to think about it, and Magnets do not go so well with any type of magnetic storage. And a Subwoofer has a huge magnet on the back of it.

how you going to get your floppy disk near without it being erased

atiVidia
12-04-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by AndrewBarker+4 December 2003 - 13:33--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (AndrewBarker @ 4 December 2003 - 13:33)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bob_the_alien@4 December 2003 - 10:20
Also, but then I began to think about it, and Magnets do not go so well with any type of magnetic storage.&nbsp; And a Subwoofer has a huge magnet on the back of it.

how you going to get your floppy disk near without it being erased [/b][/quote]
while were at it, how is ur PC going to work with that huge magnet right next to it?

i mean, a magnet doesnt just ruin magnetic storage u kno?

it can disrupt currents too&#33;

it can corrupt ur data in the ram for example

Virtualbody1234
12-04-2003, 09:34 PM
Don&#39;t build a PC anywhere near an unshielded subwoofer.

I have had a problem with the magnet from the subwoofer in my car. I have discovered that if I put a computer on the back seat or in the trunk of my car then I loose data from it (2 big magnets right behind the seatback).

If I want to bring a PC with me I now have to put it in the front seat to avoid problems.

camille
12-04-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@5 December 2003 - 05:34

I have had a problem with the magnet from the subwoofer in my car. I have discovered that if I put a computer on the back seat or in the trunk of my car then I loose data from it (2 big magnets right behind the seatback).

The same thing happened to me a year ago.

Cygnuz-Y
12-04-2003, 10:41 PM
Post PICTURES Of the thing...

harrycary
12-05-2003, 01:32 AM
It stands to reason why you shouldn&#39;t put an unshielded subwoofer near a PC, monitor or TV. The magnetic interference can and will do irreparable damage.
(don&#39;t know about the affects of vibrations though)

That being said, just put it somewhere else in the room away from your system. Low frequencies are non-directional & it typically won&#39;t matter. Your midrange and higher frequencies are directional and more critical to stereo separation.

camille
12-05-2003, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by harrycary@5 December 2003 - 08:32

Low frequencies are non-directional & it typically won&#39;t matter.
My subwoofer is unidirectional and totally shielded. But I isolate the unit away from appliances.

harrycary
12-05-2003, 04:55 AM
My subwoofer is unidirectional and totally shielded. But I isolate the unit away from appliances.

Unidirectional would mean that the sound from your subwoofer would only go in one direction.

Low frequencies, no matter the source(speakers, cars, etc), go in all directions.

Walk behind a speaker playing loud music. The audio you miss most
will be the higher frequencies(reflected sound not withstanding). The low frequencies will be relatively louder.

peace

bob_the_alien
12-05-2003, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by clocker@4 December 2003 - 08:34
Is the concept here that both the PC and the subwoofer would be functional?
Or is this a PC disguised as a speaker enclosure?
Well, I idea to start was to make both be functional, but now after hearing everyone&#39;s comments on the matter.
I&#39;ve had to rethink the idea. So now just to disguise the pc as the sub.

So I think what I&#39;ll end up doing is removing the sub completely and just using the box. Only problem I have now is after I remove the sub, how am I going to get the hole filled with something else, other than a sub, which still looks like a sub.
Ahh, well, it shouldn&#39;t be too hard, I guess I could just take the sub apart.
It&#39;s not a great sub anyway, only 200watts, that’s why it&#39;s just setting around, I put a 400 watt in my car and removed this one. I bought a trunk mounting system that matched my trunk interior, so I now have no need for this box or the sub.

I still think this will make a kick ass pc, and this way no one will no it&#39;s a pc either.

You know though, something just occurred to me, I could buy LCD, and install it behind the plexi glass in the front of the box, and have the pc in the back, that way I could use the system as like a LAN party machine.
Although, I would probably need to cut the plexi-glass and make it so I could open it while playing, and have it closed when it&#39;s not in use. (Just as a way to keep the LCD safe.)

Hmmm, the more I think, the more intriguing this project becomes, and the more interested in it I become. :lol:

clocker
12-05-2003, 07:06 AM
Keep us posted.

Pictures would be nice.

bob_the_alien
12-05-2003, 07:21 AM
I keep everyone posted, you guys will have to wait till my Digital camera gets back from the shop though for the pictures, I dropped it the other day, and now it doesn&#39;t work; the shutter and flash are no longer clicking at the same time.

Olympus said it will be 10 to 15 days before they send it back, which is way to damn long, but at least it will be back by Christmas.