PDA

View Full Version : Editing Mp3's, How To?

Jay K
02-13-2003, 09:30 PM
Can anybody point me in the right direction with this one?
When I have downloaded, say a complete album which is only one track long, how do I change it back so it has the gaps in-between songs? Somebody said it's possible with Nero....is this right? If so I have Nero so any advice would be greatley received.

P.S. I hope this question is in the right place and is applicable.

Thanks a lot

Jay K

Zedax
02-13-2003, 10:23 PM
Get an audio editor like "cool edit"
open the mp3,
find where each song ends,
grab section,cut, paste and save
until youve seperated tutti
& in the meantime youll learn to edit audio.
2 in 1
enjoy

http://bestanimations.com/Music/Stereos/Equaliser-02.gifhttp://bestanimations.com/Music/Stereos/Equaliser-01.gif

Spindulik
02-13-2003, 10:28 PM
You need a program called "Cool Edit Pro 2.0".

Keep in mind, MP3s are not meant to be edited. MP3s are compressed audio, which means they lose a portion of DATA, for the convience of the small file size.

When creating a first generation MP3, the loss in audio is not significant to notice, practically impossible to tell the difference from the original, however, if you edit the MP3, and copy it and re-compress several times, the loss in audio quality is significant enough to notice. Kind of like XEROX copying a copy of a copy. The last copy is never as sharp as the original.

Here's what to do:
I suggest that you use Cool Edit Pro for MP3 editing. Convert the MP3 to an uncompressed WAV file, using the highest possible settings in stereo (such as Windows PCM). Edit the WAV file to your liking. When it is completely finished, you can save it as an MP3, with the same exact settings as the original or save it using the highest quality possible, which is 320kps 4410HZ, STEREO [CBR or Constant Bitrate].

The end result is a high quality mp3 that is 99.9% as good as the original.

-Hope this helps you! :)

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
02-13-2003, 10:30 PM
:D I suggest you use SoulSeek. :D

Spindulik
02-13-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN@13 February 2003 - 23:30
Hey Funky,
What is SOULSEEK? Compare it to Cool Edit for me. I may download it, based on your review.

P.S. What's with the camcorder pic?
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005MOSX.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
02-13-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Spindulik+13 February 2003 - 17:36--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Spindulik @ 13 February 2003 - 17:36)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--FuNkY CaPrIcOrN@13 February 2003 - 23:30
Hey Funky,
What is SOULSEEK? Compare it to Cool Edit for me. I may download it, based on your review.

P.S. What&#39;s with the camcorder pic?
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005MOSX.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg [/b][/quote]
:D CD of the day...read the words below and above it. :D

Benno
02-13-2003, 11:11 PM
FC the problem is that this CD doesn&#39;t have a single word written on it. :blink:

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
02-13-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Benno@13 February 2003 - 18:11
FC the problem is that this CD doesn&#39;t have a single word written on it. :blink:
:P Below the picture&#33;&#33;&#33;Below the picture&#33;&#33;&#33; :P

Jay K
02-13-2003, 11:22 PM
Thanks a lot for the replies people, still a bit wet behind the ears with all this - but i&#39;m a quick learner. I will let you know how I get on.......

Cheers

Jay K

Jay K
02-14-2003, 05:20 PM
More help needed for the clueless arse-wipe I&#39;m afraid......

I got Cool Edit Pro like you all suggested, had a good read of the tutorial and managed to do the first song, get in I think, I&#39;m away I think, so I start showing off to the girlfriend only for me to get it all muddled up and wrong, nobhead she thinks(didn&#39;y say it but I knew she was) So, could anybody with an i.q. above 2.5 and a quarter please do me a fools guide, you know, like bullet points and wot-not......?

All&#39;s I want to do is save each track as a single mp3 when the original is part of a whole album mp3...

What&#39;s the quickest/best way of doing this? Once I&#39;ve done it all once I&#39;ll be off and running, untill then I&#39;ll be wandering round the program like a lost sheep, mesmerised by all the squiggeley lines :huh:

Thanks a lot

Jay K

Zedax
02-14-2003, 06:37 PM
Cool Edit is way above your head
i would sincerly suggest getting Ulead Media Pro pack and in there is Audio Editor which is super simple.

I just spent 15mins writtng a walkthru for CoolPro especially for you, got cut off and lost the entire goddam text :angry:

so if you want me to write it again - your going to have to ask real polite.

unless you know how to find that text once history is deleted. :blink:

Jay K
02-14-2003, 10:32 PM
Zedax, pretty pretty please with cherries and all the trimmings on top :D

You are the shepherd and I be the sheep so lead me to the promised land if you will. Also, if it&#39;s any consolation/help/use you can download anything you like from my machine(mostly music, but a few good dvd&#39;s aswell). Don&#39;t take this as boasting :huh: but I&#39;m a broadband user, which helps(so I&#39;ve heard&#33;)

Give a man a fish and you feed him for day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime, so to speak ;)

Yours Thankfully....

Jay K

Just noticed this when i read my post, why does it show that I haven&#39;t posted any messages......strange.....must mean decent ones :lol: :lol:

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
02-14-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Jay K@14 February 2003 - 17:32
Zedax, pretty pretty please with cherries and all the trimmings on top :D

You are the shepherd and I be the sheep so lead me to the promised land if you will. Also, if it&#39;s any consolation/help/use you can download anything you like from my machine(mostly music, but a few good dvd&#39;s aswell). Don&#39;t take this as boasting :huh: but I&#39;m a broadband user, which helps(so I&#39;ve heard&#33;)

Give a man a fish and you feed him for day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime, so to speak ;)

Yours Thankfully....

Jay K
:lol: Kiss that ass NOOB&#33;&#33;&#33;:lol:

Jay K
02-14-2003, 10:45 PM
FuNkY, my good fellow, the thing that annoys you most about NOOB&#39;s*
Is even you was one once, softlad ;)

Jay K

* new word aquired

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
02-14-2003, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Jay K@14 February 2003 - 17:45
FuNkY, my good fellow, the thing that annoys you most about NOOB&#39;s*
Is even you was one once, softlad ;)

Jay K

* new word aquired
:D Just breaking you in buddy...we all went and go through it...take it like a man. :D

Jay K
02-14-2003, 11:03 PM
I see the picture FC, break away.......

<----- Still no posts <_<

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
02-14-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Jay K@14 February 2003 - 18:03
I see the picture FC, break away.......

<----- Still no posts <_<
:D Post in the lounge and Funny stuff do not count,they are Off-topic. :D

Jay K
02-15-2003, 03:43 AM
OK FuNkY CaPrIcOrN you sneaky little blighter you, consider this as lesson number one learnt for the NOOB:D Should have listened to you when you suggested Seeking my Soul, but no I go off at a tangent spending ages trying all styles of jiggery-pokerey with Cool Edit Pro getting nowhere......I see your game sunshine, with your under-hand, under-eleborate style :D but like I said I&#39;m a quick learner and the watery residue behind my auditory receiving devices is evaporating fast, real fast.....
Anyways thanks for the short but sweet advice.

Off to bed methinks......one too many jaimacan woodbines......i kid you not&#33;

Jay K

Spindulik
02-15-2003, 04:30 AM
HERE"S WHAT YOU NEED TO DO&#33;

Use the Cool Edit program.

Load the entire file into it.

Use the mouse to SELECT the area of the song (the WAVE PATTERN) that you want to be used as TRACK 1.

Click the FILE option and select the "Save Selection AS". Save it as TRACK01.mp3

Now DELETE that selected area in your project.

Repeat the steps above, but save the next track as TRACK02.mp3

Keep doing this until the entire file is chopped up into the seperate peices that you need.

BURN IT&#33;