PDA

View Full Version : Cd-rw Problem

Peerzy
12-04-2003, 10:47 PM
i have had my cd-rw drive since last christmas and the cd's im using are not the problem buti have tried 3 buirns in the last 2 days and they havent worked.

The drive will start to burn and will burn between 28- and about 57% and then it will just stop and wait forever.
im using nero 5.
my drive recently has had this thing when it will burn a bit at a time, its like it overheats or works to hard for say 20secs then has a 10seconds rest then does a hard and very loud 20secs and then rests well it does this up to about the above percentages and then just stops.

does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?
ias it a coommon problem?
and can sum1 answer a resolution 9if there is one quicky please cause i need to burn stuff for 2moro (in uk its about 10 oclock in the evening)

Thnx in advance

Virtualbody1234
12-04-2003, 10:56 PM
Sorry, I can't figure out what you're saying.

Peerzy
12-04-2003, 11:01 PM
sorry im a bad typed. :D

basicly the cd re-writer wont burn cd's any more it does 20 seconds of burning (and making loud noises) and then totaslly stops for ten, and on nero when it get to about 30-50% it just stops dead and doesnt do anything. the drive never use to do any of this before.

does that help you help me? :rolleyes:

thnx for kinda bumbing and getting pp to notice ASAP tho ;)

lynx
12-04-2003, 11:01 PM
1) Have you tried burning at a slower speed?

2) What sort of disk are you burning? If it is audio, you could have a prob with mp3 decoding. If you've got the space, try creating an image first, then burn the image to disk. If you get the same problem creating the image you know it's nothing to do with the cd-rw drive.

Bluntman22
12-04-2003, 11:03 PM
try new/different burning software

Peerzy
12-04-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by lynx@4 December 2003 - 23:01
1) Have you tried burning at a slower speed?

2) What sort of disk are you burning? If it is audio, you could have a prob with mp3 decoding. If you've got the space, try creating an image first, then burn the image to disk. If you get the same problem creating the image you know it's nothing to do with the cd-rw drive.
thats the problem i got a 10gb hard drive witgh about 30-40mb's free. i am using normal 700mb cds from ebuyer wehich i have used before and work. and i have tried burning:

CD1: game boy advance games and emultors +n64 games and emulator
CD2: Unreal Tournament 2003 cd2 cin and cue
CD3:retryed disk 1

drive never use to do nany of this use to take about 3-4mins now the last time it worked (2 days ago) was about 10mins for a 700mb game image.
i tried burning on just 40 speed.

EDIT: my version of nero is NERO5.5.9.14 i think

cwctv
12-04-2003, 11:15 PM
10gb hard drive witgh about 30-40mb's free

Is not enough space (esp' audio) for cutting try getting some free space first then have another go I take it you have more space cause windows need 250 plus to run.

Peerzy
12-04-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by cwctv@4 December 2003 - 23:15

10gb hard drive witgh about 30-40mb's free

Is not enough space (esp' audio) for cutting try getting some free space first then have another go I take it you have more space cause windows need 250 plus to run.
ok just took off max payne 2 moding tools (2gb!!!) and tried burning unreal tour 2003 dcd 2 again and still failed :angry:

any ideas. it wont be the cd's cause thats four now. im sure its something to do with my drive. any more help ASAP

and thnx to everyone who has posted :rolleyes:

cwctv
12-04-2003, 11:32 PM
Sorry pal only :-
Reboot after scandisk to make sure you have the space - defrag - use rewrite discs for now to test if non of this works I'd be looking at the drive myself,oh empty Windows\temp if any thing in there.
Turn the discs over and check for errors like bad bits around the edge of the disc i have just had a bad stock of 50 that "banged" about trying to cut when they did they didn't have all the data etc on sent them back.

The drive will start to burn and will burn between 28- and about 57% and then it will just stop and wait forever.

The only time I have had this is when I did disc to disc and the disc with the data on was badly marked so it couldn't find the data.

atiVidia
12-04-2003, 11:32 PM
burn at 1x

if it works on 1 x, increase it until it fails

Peerzy
12-04-2003, 11:36 PM
ok will try those i put in a cd-rw and went to nero to erase and it start erasing and then stopped and nero bombed out so i CTRL + ALT +DEL ed it and exited it but the prob is the cd wont come out i tried holding eject but hwen i turn my pc off and back on it will come out.

has anyone had this prob before. am i going to need a new drive?

cwctv
12-04-2003, 11:39 PM
Have you got a virtual drive have a look in Windows explorer to eject go in there right click "eject".

Peerzy
12-04-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by cwctv@4 December 2003 - 23:39
Have you got a virtual drive have a look in Windows explorer to eject go in there right click "eject".
yeah i have gone to my computer and clicked eject loads.

yeah i got 4 virtual drives (daemon tools) buty i rly need to burn stuff to cd for work and i need to free up space (with a 10gb hard dxrive i have rly keep much on there)

thnx 4 every1's help any other ideas

cwctv
12-04-2003, 11:44 PM
Not tried daemon tools yet could that stop the copying guessing here is this cutter set up for daemon tools do you see what I am trying to say. :(

Peerzy
12-04-2003, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by cwctv@4 December 2003 - 23:44
Not tried daemon tools yet could that stop the copying guessing here is this cutter set up for daemon tools do you see what I am trying to say. :(
iv had daemon tools ever since i got my pc last christmas (pathictly cheap so dont lauf at the hard drive size) so i dont think that could be stopping anything. i have no idea if this happens but is it possible for the drive to b a rly sh!t one and just like fu*ked up over time?

thnx for the help tho btw everyone :D

any more ideas :rolleyes:

cwctv
12-04-2003, 11:57 PM
Of course nothing lasts forever my brothers was only 14 months old and about 200 cuts thats all mind you I think it was a ploy just to get the money out of the wife for a faster drive.
Me cough cough must have made 500 plus by now and it 18 months old not bothered about a faster one for now and I have the same drive as he had.

Smoke dirt and all that won't help either which mine gets plenty of its now on 10 a day. :D

AndrewBarker
12-05-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by peerzyboy@4 December 2003 - 22:47
i have had my cd-rw drive since last christmas and the cd's im using are not the problem buti have tried 3 buirns in the last 2 days and they havent worked.

2 important things

burn at a couple of notches slower than your drive is capable of

don't have any programs running at the same time, including antivirus etc

accat13
12-05-2003, 01:14 AM
does your drive have updates my liteon does try checking out the manufacturers site ..if you have to buy a new one i recomend a liteon works great ,,,

Virtualbody1234
12-05-2003, 01:20 AM
Hey accat13, long time no see. Good to see you. :D

lynx
12-05-2003, 02:27 AM
Now that you've freed up some space, try creating an image.

If it screws up, you've got a software/hd problem. If not, you've got a cd-rw problem.

Peerzy
12-05-2003, 09:20 AM
sorry i didnt reply but i just woke up (uk time) and i will try all those things so thnx to everyone help and everything.
thnx

peat moss
12-06-2003, 03:47 AM
Before I burn anything I use a program called End It All . Sounds like you need to reinstalll Nero tho . And burn at a slower speed i have a 48 speed but still burn at 16

DWk
12-06-2003, 03:50 AM
Wild guess..... what computer do you have? how much ram? cuz i had this problem trying to write at a speed that my computer didnt support... buffer overrun everytime :(

peat moss
12-06-2003, 03:59 AM
Im running Nero 6 on three computers here at home and for some reason after about three months the program freezes up and i have too reinstall. All computers are different specs as well. Different burners too i might add Lite on, hp etc.