PDA

View Full Version : Importing Ips

abu_has_the_power
12-05-2003, 03:17 AM
is there any way of importing bad ips into ur router for it to block? or is that not necessary? i think its not necessary, but if there is a way, i'd still import ips

abu_has_the_power
12-05-2003, 03:58 AM
maybe i posted this in the wrong section? :unsure:

3RA1N1AC
12-05-2003, 04:35 AM
if your router has any sort of filter built in, it's prolly only URL-based. i.e. it can block out specific URLs, or URLs that include words you don't want (like "adserver" or "popup"). but i think for IP filtering, you need to install a software firewall on each PC you've got connected.

MadDog-2000
12-05-2003, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@5 December 2003 - 00:35
if your router has any sort of filter built in, it's prolly only URL-based. i.e. it can block out specific URLs, or URLs that include words you don't want (like "adserver" or "popup"). but i think for IP filtering, you need to install a software firewall on each PC you've got connected.
Should work with IP numbers too, since you can load a web page by entering its IP number in the browser too. If the router blocks the URL to the page but not the IP number, then that would really defeat the whole purpose of content filerting in a router! I got a Netgear router and it works with mine so...

abu_has_the_power
12-05-2003, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by MadDog&#045;2000+5 December 2003 - 00:34--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MadDog-2000 @ 5 December 2003 - 00:34)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-3RA1N1AC@5 December 2003 - 00:35
if your router has any sort of filter built in, it&#39;s prolly only URL-based.&nbsp; i.e. it can block out specific URLs, or URLs that include words you don&#39;t want (like "adserver" or "popup").&nbsp; but i think for IP filtering, you need to install a software firewall on each PC you&#39;ve got connected.
Should work with IP numbers too, since you can load a web page by entering its IP number in the browser too. If the router blocks the URL to the page but not the IP number, then that would really defeat the whole purpose of content filerting in a router&#33; I got a Netgear router and it works with mine so... [/b][/quote]
so i would have to manually enter a couple hundred ips? is there a easier way?

MadDog-2000
12-07-2003, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by abu_has_the_power+5 December 2003 - 01:52--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (abu_has_the_power @ 5 December 2003 - 01:52)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by MadDog&#045;2000@5 December 2003 - 00:34
<!--QuoteBegin-3RA1N1AC@5 December 2003 - 00:35
if your router has any sort of filter built in, it&#39;s prolly only URL-based. i.e. it can block out specific URLs, or URLs that include words you don&#39;t want (like "adserver" or "popup"). but i think for IP filtering, you need to install a software firewall on each PC you&#39;ve got connected.
Should work with IP numbers too, since you can load a web page by entering its IP number in the browser too. If the router blocks the URL to the page but not the IP number, then that would really defeat the whole purpose of content filerting in a router&#33; I got a Netgear router and it works with mine so...
so i would have to manually enter a couple hundred ips? is there a easier way? [/b][/quote]
PeerGuardian or Kazaa build-in IP blocker

abu_has_the_power
12-07-2003, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by MadDog&#045;2000+7 December 2003 - 01:16--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MadDog-2000 @ 7 December 2003 - 01:16)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@5 December 2003 - 01:52

if your router has any sort of filter built in, it&#39;s prolly only URL-based. i.e. it can block out specific URLs, or URLs that include words you don&#39;t want (like "adserver" or "popup"). but i think for IP filtering, you need to install a software firewall on each PC you&#39;ve got connected.
Should work with IP numbers too, since you can load a web page by entering its IP number in the browser too. If the router blocks the URL to the page but not the IP number, then that would really defeat the whole purpose of content filerting in a router&#33; I got a Netgear router and it works with mine so...
PeerGuardian or Kazaa build-in IP blocker [/b][/quote]
i know. i&#39;m talking about importing ips into ur hardware firewall. it&#39;s much more powerful

james_bond_rulez
12-07-2003, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by abu_has_the_power+7 December 2003 - 06:20--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (abu_has_the_power @ 7 December 2003 - 06:20)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by MadDog&#045;2000@7 December 2003 - 01:16

Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@5 December 2003 - 01:52

PeerGuardian or Kazaa build-in IP blocker
i know. i&#39;m talking about importing ips into ur hardware firewall. it&#39;s much more powerful [/b][/quote]
no there ain&#39;t

better pull that all nighter ;)

vivitron 15
12-07-2003, 11:57 PM
i was wondering about this a while back - my thought is that it would be poss, if someone with sufficient knowledge were to "spend/waste" the time creating a prog to do it.

the prob is clearly that each router would have a different configuration to it, so would require a seperate program.

if you find anything to do it let us know, and ill do the same :)

abu_has_the_power
12-08-2003, 12:01 AM
i have a us robotics broadband router. if anyone finds anything, make sure to email me

MadDog-2000
12-08-2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by vivitron 15@7 December 2003 - 19:57
i was wondering about this a while back - my thought is that it would be poss, if someone with sufficient knowledge were to "spend/waste" the time creating a prog to do it.

the prob is clearly that each router would have a different configuration to it, so would require a seperate program.

if you find anything to do it let us know, and ill do the same :)
You are talking about changing/hacking the routers internal firmware to add more features to it. It would actually not be too difficult to do something like this, since most routers these days have easy firmware update features. Programming the code to add this feature to the router would be pretty easy too.

Maybe if you send in a request to the manufacturer of that router, through their bug report service, they might even add it in a later firmware update.

vivitron 15
12-08-2003, 12:32 PM
im off to do that as we speak, but i was wondering if it would be poss to do it with the features already in the router:

it has the ability to block IPs anyway, it just takes ages to manually input each one...if it were poss to have a little prog to "type each in" and press ok, then this would eliminate the need for new f/ware. thats what i meant by a diff program for each router - a different PC based program.

MadDog-2000
12-09-2003, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by vivitron 15@8 December 2003 - 08:32
im off to do that as we speak, but i was wondering if it would be poss to do it with the features already in the router:

it has the ability to block IPs anyway, it just takes ages to manually input each one...if it were poss to have a little prog to "type each in" and press ok, then this would eliminate the need for new f/ware. thats what i meant by a diff program for each router - a different PC based program.
Yeah, you can code some kind of elaborate script that will fill all this information in but there is an easier way. Again, modifying the routers firmware might be the best idea. All you do is add some code that would allow you to upload a TXT (simple text file) into the routers flash ROM, which is can use to filter out that incoming traffic from Ips defined in that text file.