PDA

View Full Version : Where Can I Get Win95?

freedomseeker
02-14-2003, 02:28 AM
My hard disk is only 370 mb so i can't d/l more than that. How much does it cost to buy now? I need any kind of os that i can d/l onto this 370 hd. Is linux small?

StylinProfilin
02-14-2003, 02:34 AM
:o holy shit dude
best buy has a deal for a 120GB i think $100 installed

The Great Dude
02-14-2003, 02:44 AM
Windows 95? Are you sure you don't want to improve your computer? I don't know if there is still a Wndows 95 shared, but it's a big world.

Fusen
02-14-2003, 02:51 AM
lol why dont you just buy a $5, 5 GB hdd off the net? lol any os which will fit on 370mb which I think is none you wont have any space left over afterwards

The Great Dude
02-14-2003, 03:00 AM
I don't think Linux can fit on a 370 mb hard drive, but I never tried it before. I think that hardrive is too small, unless you really don't do much on downloading or gaming.

lilbill08
02-14-2003, 03:58 AM
what processer is that a 80 mhz??? I dont think it is the best idea to have this program with a computer like that what internet connection 14k? then you have to have at leat 32 megs of ram to make it wrok good or you will notice lots of crashes... i have doenloaded more than your whole hard disk!!! :lol:

Supernatural
02-14-2003, 04:41 AM
It's true. 370MB is pathetic and would should consider getting a bigger drive, like Fusen said.

keratosis
02-14-2003, 06:59 AM
Don't even think about 95, also with a hard drive that small your
comp is very old and out of date.You really can't upgrade it anymore.
Best bet if you have the chaching is to go out and by a new one.
They are cheep :blink:

freedomseeker
02-14-2003, 07:50 AM
I want to use the os for another computer(466 celeron, 6 gb hd).
I'm just using my 370 mg hd computer to d/l some kind of os to get my 466 operational so i can d/l win xp. i have cd's for win98se and me but i keep getting a invalid product key message when i try to install them on my 466.

gumbydancin
02-14-2003, 09:10 AM
What's wrong with keeping the old ones alive? I hae a pentium 166, 1.4 gb pc still running in my house. It's fantastic. I have cable internet and I use the little one to download everything so I don't clog up my cpu on my main computer during my daily activities. The little one downloads like lightning, sends everything to a local network folder (which is basically part of an external hard drive interfaced with my router and both pc's), and keeps my main pc free to use extensive programs without slowing down. Then when I want to access a file or move it over to my main hard drive it is at LAN (100mbps) speed. Best setup I've ever had!

YOU said though that you are just trying to help you install 98se on another computer though, right? YOu can find it (with a proper reg) on kazaa or more easily on winmx. I found 5 sources for windows 95 there too. Check it out.

freedomseeker
02-14-2003, 10:59 AM
I found a key to get my 98se working. It was a special internal select version. My small computer is a 166 too. I think i want to do a fresh install of windows95 on it. It only has 370mb hd. I could not find win95 on kazaa.
Thanks, guys:)

boogie_knights
02-16-2003, 03:23 PM
I have win95 OSR2 with product key, works fine, I have used it many times when I used to have a small pc and drive. In fact I just installed it a few days ago on my sisters' 300mhz pc, as she doesnt have much drive space either. If you contact by e-mail I can zip it up and send it by messenger if you like.

You would be best to burn it to CD I think, the OS when installed is only something like 100mb if that, i think minimal install was about 80mb maximum about 120mb

BK

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
02-16-2003, 03:30 PM
:o I would like to see what Windows 95 looks like...it has been so long. :o

boogie_knights
02-16-2003, 04:01 PM
Yes it is certainly a blast from the past, and it looks and feels its age now, although it is a nice little OS for those smaller systems that we all played around with. Ahhh those were the days. I had a system that was hard pressed to support ME, never mind 2000, and win98 was just too buggy, ahhh thank god for win95. I only ever saw win 3.1 in operation once, it was enough to make me not to want it. :D However, if you really want the win95 look and a stable OS all round, then NT4 is your thang. Yes its slow, yes it needs to be on NTFS, but its reliable.

Ahhhh, memories

BK

vivitron 15
02-16-2003, 04:41 PM
*SOB* the memories are flooding back

I only ever saw win 3.1 in operation once

I remember being over the moon when i got windows 3.11 for my 386 SX 25 PC. It was amazing, but then upgraded to a 486 DX...wow that was fast! ;)

If anyone has windows 3.1, or even earlier...(windows 1 would be good!) I'd love to see if I could make it work through a virtual machine on my P4 2GHz :rolleyes:

boogie_knights
02-16-2003, 04:59 PM
hehehe, yes memories, but my experience of these systems only goes back as far as win95, although it wont run on my athlon xp2000, it will load the files, but the boot up into win95 just presents the dreaded bluescreen. I dont think win95 likes something this fast. :huh: dont have a problem win98 onwards though. I have never seen windows prior to 3.1, although i've seen the screenshots. I wonder how they'd cope with broadband :lol:

I have win98 and xp dual booting on my system, but I also want another drive to boot into linux aswell.

BK

Benno
02-16-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN@16 February 2003 - 16:30
:o I would like to see what Windows 95 looks like...it has been so long. :o
http://galleries.vinyamar.com/ps/show.php?id=70Epu6cyc5Ceu8pjXPTYbAHj&ext=.gif

http://galleries.vinyamar.com/ps/show.php?id=gks122iSSs4bvVE5ZbhI5nIas&ext=.gif

http://galleries.vinyamar.com/ps/show.php?id=UdoU3GhseRXc3ktkau0ebdqAc&ext=.jpg

http://galleries.vinyamar.com/ps/show.php?id=oKth49M9GoNdJSERoBv4DoBo7&ext=.jpg

:D :D

4play
02-16-2003, 05:11 PM
my first sytem was a 16mhz 386 with 2 megs of ram :lol:

it was top of the range for about 6 months. all i could use on it was dos since windows 3.11 needs 4 megs to run.

now that was was the good old days when I only had dos. it never crashed at least. ;)

I still have the 7 win 3.11 disks under my bed i might whack them in a zip and put it on kazaa tonight.

oh yeah and linux will work on nearly any system. but I would not try installing gnome or kde they will be too big for 365mb. stick with a something basic and you should have no problem.

boogie_knights
02-16-2003, 05:20 PM
i like those jpgs, especially the t-shirt with bluecreen on it. Makes you wonder doesnt it what all those bluescreens meant. Damn even microsoft were sometimes at a loss to explain them. :lol: I was an regular user of win2000 pro until late last year, after various unsuccessful attempts at running XP pro, i came to the conclusion that xp was "shite". Now i have changed my views, since the release of SP1, XP just rocks, never lets me down, i have total faith in it, and I wont go back to 2000. I have run it for days without a reboot, still works beautifully. Only thing i just cant get used to is the xp look. Changed everything back to classic look, some old dogs cant learn new tricks. Not yet anyway. :lol:

BK

vivitron 15
02-16-2003, 05:24 PM
I still have the 7 win 3.11 disks under my bed i might whack them in a zip and put it on kazaa tonight.
If you do, could you PLEASE PM me the Hash?? I got rid of all my floppys ages ago. ( I don't actually have a FDD on my main PC anymore. Got rid a while back )

boogie_knights
02-16-2003, 10:17 PM
So freedomseeker, do you still want win95? I have it zipped up and ready in a 45mb zipfile, all you need do is extract it and copy onto a cd. you will of course need a copy of dos bootdisk, i can also supply this. If you do, i really hope you have a fast connection. Please let me know.

BK

J'Pol
02-16-2003, 11:19 PM
I am sadder than all of you. I remember working in dos. Still do sometimes to be perfectly honest.

I also remember using computers with one, yes one, floppy and no hard drive. The disks were indeed floppy at that time. You booted dos, then you replaced the disk with the utility. When you wanted to save files you put a third floppy in. Everything was done in active memory. Feck we had to set the date and time every time we switched them on.

I remember the first computer I used with 2 floppy disks. Known as A and B. One for program and one for data. That was a boon. It was firmly believed that no home user would ever have a need for a hard drive.

Then I remember the first time I used a computer with a hard drive. 370mb would have been enormous at that time. In fact no-one could have imagined it even existing. They still had 2 floppy disks though. The two floppies being called A and B is why the hard drive has always been known as C:

The first really useful set up was dos 6.2 with windows 3.11 as the gui. Before anyone gets smug, dos is still in everything up to and including me. It is only when the NT kernel merged with the win 9x interface that we got xp.

Cheers and thanks for the walk down memory lane.

JimF

dingoBaby
02-16-2003, 11:29 PM
I don't remember any of the specs but the first computer I ever used was some Data General PC. One of the few they ever produced. I had a DG portable as well. It was the size of a briefcase and it even had a handle.

jobes
02-16-2003, 11:32 PM
Hey, on that subject, my mouse is at the end of the mouse pad. Does anybody have a larger mouse pad that I can buy?

J'Pol
02-16-2003, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by jobes@17 February 2003 - 00:32
Hey, on that subject, my mouse is at the end of the mouse pad. Does anybody have a larger mouse pad that I can buy?
Top Post

Cheers

JimF

4play
02-17-2003, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by jimf
The first really useful set up was dos 6.2 with windows 3.11 as the gui. Before anyone gets smug, dos is still in everything up to and including me. It is only when the NT kernel merged with the win 9x interface that we got xp.

dos is still sitting under all windows os's even xp. they just do not want you to know about it. ;)
linux under windows (http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20030116.html) :lol:

I used to have just dos 6.1 that rocked i could do almost nothing with it but program. i had to steal the pascal compiler from a shop coz £89 was just way to much for me to pay at the time. :lol:

im to tired to make the zip. I will do it tomorrow evening and pm you the hash.

boogie_knights
02-17-2003, 09:31 AM
Yes I remember my first encounter with DOS, have no idea what version it was, but it was first at later years in school, around '87 to '89, and then later in college about '90 or '91. A & B drive Yes, the 3.5" floppy was in then, but at school the floppies were larger and, well of the bendy kind :lol:

I had wanted to go onto college and do IT there, it never happened though, just wondering what the hell I would have made of UNIX at that time. Mind you I dont know what to make of it now to be honest. :huh:

It's possible they had hard drives on the computers, but I just dont remember. There was certainly no mention of Windows back then.

BK

jobes
02-17-2003, 03:39 PM
You would like this web page. Notice that Strong Bad is using a 386 and he sure knows how to use it!
http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail.html

Spindulik
02-17-2003, 04:29 PM
Look in your local newspaper for the next computer show. I saw Win95 for less than $20.00 at a computer show in my town. Look on eBay, shipping must be pennies. Look in the trash dumpsters of major office buildings or schools, you'll find something.
-----

I have a low-end 486 laptop (I use it as a deluxe typewritter) with 32MBram. I put a 2.5GB hard drive in it and Windows98SE on it and an optical mouse. Works great with 56k modem. No crashes, slow-downs or any problems. Win95 worked good on it too (a bit faster too).

Spindulik
02-17-2003, 04:30 PM
Look in your local newspaper for the next computer show. I saw Win95 for less than $20.00 at a computer show in my town. Look on eBay, shipping must be pennies. Look in the trash dumpsters of major office buildings or schools, you'll find something.
-----

I have a low-end 486 laptop (I use it as a deluxe typewritter) with 32MBram. I put a 2.5GB hard drive in it and Windows98SE on it and an optical mouse. Works great with 56k modem. No crashes, slow-downs or any problems. Win95 worked good on it too (a bit faster too).

Luca_Snipes
02-17-2003, 08:46 PM
It is only when the NT kernel merged with the win 9x interface that we got xp.

Win NT4 was the merger of the NT kernal and 9x interface ;) , if you installed IE4 and Active Desktop you even got all the nice little quick launch bars & things
And don't forget NT5 (a.k.a. Win 2K) which added all the nice little things like USB

dos is still sitting under all windows os's even xp. they just do not want you to know about it.  ;) 

LOL, you'd never guess that the NT kernal was written by the VMS team (VMS was a major UNIX version in the 80's & 90's)

I still have my first PC, with the 20MB disk in it running DOS 3.3 (still works too), missed the dual floppy machines by a few years :(

Grim
02-19-2003, 08:53 PM
ANTIQUES ROADSHOW :lol: