PDA

View Full Version : Problem With Video I Think...

99shassan
12-05-2003, 11:33 PM
I am encountering a maddening problem with my computer. The specs: generic running Windows 98 SE, 512 MB RAM, 80 G HD, CD/DVD, CD burner, GeForce FX 5600 Ultra 128 MB video card, basic floppy, Roadrunner connection (cable modem, router). Upon booting I often receive the dreaded dancing blue box indicating that there is no video, check your cables, etc. (the connections are OK). The machine won't reset but the situation is addressed by a 5 second depression of the On/Off switch. And then I start again, sometimes encountering the same problem. More frequently the machine starts up, stops and displays the following: “Msgsrv32: This program has performed an illegal function and will be shut down. If the problem persists, contact the program vendor.” Ctrl-Alt-Delete yields the following:
Details - “Msgsrv32 caused an exception 10H in module DEVCON32.DLL at (a series of numbers and letters). The words “stack dump” appear in the paragraph.
Programs - these 2 are listed: “nprotect” and “csinject”. I suspect that these are Norton programs.
I am then forced to close the aforementioned programs, shut down, and try again. On occasion this maddening sequence is repeated 5 times before the machine mysteriously comes up correctly. This problem has persisted for over 1 yr. but never to the current extent. During the course of that year I have changed the power supply, mother board, hard drive, and completed a soft re-install of Windows (not to address this problem, but for various reasons) and still the situation has remained..

(I looked at the Msgsrv32 file: it is a “Windows 32-bit VxD message server” file.)

{I}{K}{E}
12-05-2003, 11:44 PM
did you try another videocard?

harrycary
12-06-2003, 12:31 AM
It probably isn't your monitor but try connecting it to a friends PC to be sure.
If it doesn't detect a video signal it won't power up fully.

Check the data cable to your monitor. Make sure it's intact and non of the pins on the connector(s) are damaged.

Unseat and re-seat the video card on your motherboard.

As {I}{K}{E} stated, try another video card. Beg, borrow, or buy a cheap one.

These are the very things a service technician will try first.

By process of elimination you should be able to pinpoint the problem.

Hope that helps...

cwctv
12-06-2003, 01:10 AM
Have a look here I take it you have a Sound Blaster card.

http://www.geocities.com/soul_above_the_clouds/