PDA

View Full Version : K-lite Shut Down

sharedholder
12-06-2003, 09:41 AM
Kazaa Lite Shut Down

posted by nf1n1te on December 05, 2003 @ 07:54pm

Speaking with RatFaced, one of the Kazaa Lite forum moderators today and our contact at K-Lite, I have uncovered news that the Kazaa Lite K++ project has been shut down by Sharman Networks on grounds of copyright infringement.

The project, which had been set up to block spy and ad ware within the Kazaa Media Desktop Program has achieved notoriety within the P2p world through its simplistic approach and success in reverse engineering the Kazaa application.

However, the program infringed on the copyright of Sharman Networks, the company that now own and program the Kazaa Media Desktop application, after the purchase of the code and copyright in 2002. The FastTrack (Kazaa) network is financed through advertising systems, which Kazaa Lite K++ does not include, and so was seen as a threat by the owners.

Sharman have threatened legal action, and ordered that the offending content be removed from the official Kazaa Lite sites, including http://www.kazaalite.tk/ which now contains no reference to the existance of the application.

RatFaced said that the decision was “Ironic, that Kazaa is complaining about copyright issues, especially as K-Lite ++ stands for everything that Kazaa CLAIMS to stand for... but fails to deliver.”

We will perhaps never see Kazaa Lite again, but we can hope that users will remain aware of the spyware that is hidden inside the Kazaa application, which is used to finance the creation of the software.

eMule and WinMX offer spyware-free alternatives to Kazaa.

SOURCE (http://www.peerguardian.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2311)

asmithz
12-06-2003, 09:46 AM
Cool now we now. Do you mind if i put this on my download pagge?

sharedholder
12-06-2003, 09:48 AM
No , is not my article, be free to do what you want. :)

asmithz
12-06-2003, 09:49 AM
Just thoght it makes sence. :)

Rip The Jacker
12-06-2003, 09:52 AM
Damn, all this happened so fast! Where the hell was I? One day K-Lite is alive and strong, the next day it's shut down. :(

Well, as long as people share the latest version...

Long live P2P...

Dale
12-06-2003, 09:56 AM
there will be a way around it..
i hope :blink:

asmithz
12-06-2003, 09:58 AM
Paul hasent said anything. I hope he is ok.

Dale
12-06-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Agent Smith@6 December 2003 - 09:58
Paul hasent said anything. I hope he is ok.
i agree. i've been downloading his software for quite somet time..

he does make some of the most usefull software..

like the codec packs for example.. quicktime alt/real..

now would be a time i would donate money to him. but i'm only a minor. so i do not have a credit card.. :unsure:

Kunal
12-06-2003, 10:06 AM
die sharmen, die! :)

MUSLEMAN
12-06-2003, 10:21 AM
so how about it paul, how about you tell us what is going and what we can do to help

Kunal
12-06-2003, 11:04 AM
ive noticed that you cannot even download test builds of codec packs atm :(

MagicNakor
12-06-2003, 11:15 AM
They can't shut down KL. They can try to purge it from the well-known sites. The way the Fasttrack network designed makes it certain that they can't detect whether or not anyone is running Kazaa or KL. ;)

:ninja:

N£MO
12-06-2003, 11:23 AM
I was just reading this on Zeropaid.Bad shit.

There is no way that k-lite ++ will die.

thewizeard
12-06-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Dale@6 December 2003 - 09:56
there will be a way around it..
i hope :blink:
Well to begin with, everyone should put K++ program in their, "my shared folder,"

N£MO
12-06-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Kunal@6 December 2003 - 11:04
ive noticed that you cannot even download test builds of codec packs atm :(
Just managed to download k-lite codec pack full.

RealitY
12-06-2003, 02:01 PM
What will Muscleman do now...
:huh: :huh: :P :P

MUSLEMAN
12-06-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by REALITY@6 December 2003 - 10:01
:huh: :huh: :P :P
http://www.the-web-matrix.de/images/smilies/105.gifhttp://members.shaw.ca/wenpigsfly/smileys/wtf.gifhttp://members.shaw.ca/wenpigsfly/smileys/nospam.gifhttp://www.blackmaxpc.com/avatarsmiles/smiles/bsflag.gifhttp://www.klboard.ath.cx/html/emoticons/spamfrown.gifhttp://www.mcbriens.net/liam/img/smilies/lock.gif

RealitY
12-06-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by MUSLEMAN+6 December 2003 - 06:11--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MUSLEMAN @ 6 December 2003 - 06:11)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-REALITY@6 December 2003 - 10:01
:huh:&nbsp; :huh:&nbsp; :P&nbsp; :P
http://www.the-web-matrix.de/images/smilies/105.gifhttp://members.shaw.ca/wenpigsfly/smileys/wtf.gifhttp://members.shaw.ca/wenpigsfly/smileys/nospam.gifhttp://www.blackmaxpc.com/avatarsmiles/smiles/bsflag.gifhttp://www.klboard.ath.cx/html/emoticons/spamfrown.gifhttp://www.mcbriens.net/liam/img/smilies/lock.gif [/b][/quote]
LOL...

robnyt
12-06-2003, 04:28 PM
Does this mean that my existing K-Lite software and program no longer work? Will I still be able to d&#39;load movies and audio files?

vivitron 15
12-06-2003, 04:34 PM
just means noone new can dl the program...your copy will still work

Sparkle1984
12-06-2003, 05:31 PM
I think this is really sad, as it will be harder to get new users. :angry: :cry1: :sadwalk:

~FunK_mOb~
12-06-2003, 05:59 PM
I think this is really sad, as it will be harder to get new users.&nbsp; &nbsp;
you can always put it on a disc and pass it on to your friends,who will pass it on to their friends and they pass it on to their friends,etc.........you know what i mean.
anyway,there will always be a way to get k-lite to new users.

Sparkle1984
12-06-2003, 06:12 PM
How about making a pinned topic in this forum of all the new hosts? Then people will still be able to get it fairly easily. ;)

N£MO
12-06-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Sparkle1984@6 December 2003 - 18:12
How about making a pinned topic in this forum of all the new hosts? Then people will still be able to get it fairly easily. ;)
Thats a good idea. :) Guess it is upto Paul at the end of the day. :unsure:

I hope we here from him soon. :huh:

Johnny_B
12-06-2003, 06:25 PM
I don&#39;t get it.
Why the hell does &#036;harman want to shut down the program that makes Kazaa and the FastTrack network more popular?

If it weren&#39;t for Kazaa Lite, the FastTrack network would be dead by now. If K-Lite goes down, the FastTrack network goes down with it.

Doesn&#39;t &#036;harman realize that all other P2P networks are way better than FastTrack? :blink:
If people still share quality files on this network it&#39;s mainly because of K-Lite and its features; not because of Krappy Media Desktop. <_<

Supernatural
12-06-2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Johnny_B@6 December 2003 - 13:25
I don&#39;t get it.
Why the hell does &#036;harman want to shut down the program that makes Kazaa and the FastTrack network more popular?

If it weren&#39;t for Kazaa Lite, the FastTrack network would be dead by now. If K-Lite goes down, the FastTrack network goes down with it.

Doesn&#39;t &#036;harman realize that all other P2P networks are way better than FastTrack? :blink:
If people still share quality files on this network it&#39;s mainly because of K-Lite and its features; not because of Krappy Media Desktop. <_<
I agree 100%.

It&#39;s also ironic they doin the same &#036;h&#33;+ to K-Lite that the RIAA tried to do to them.

nanotek
12-06-2003, 07:18 PM
capitalism rears its ugly head but in the end they will defeat themselves as the ppl turn to other p2p networks :ph34r:

cosmic doobie
12-06-2003, 08:48 PM
:angry:
What goes around comes around, K-Lite users will continue to the bitter end&#33;&#33;

ck-uk
12-06-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by N£MO@6 December 2003 - 17:15
Yeah mate

I hope the forum & servers running stable too mate when you hit that "add reply" button :lol:

racer II
12-06-2003, 11:46 PM
:mellow: :huh: :blink: :eek: :( :&#39;( :sadwalk:

Noooo&#33; :angry:

james_bond_rulez
12-06-2003, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by N£MO+6 December 2003 - 18:15--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (N£MO @ 6 December 2003 - 18:15)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Sparkle1984@6 December 2003 - 18:12
How about making a pinned topic in this forum of all the new hosts? Then people will still be able to get it fairly easily.&nbsp; ;)

I hope we here from him soon. :huh: [/b][/quote]
That&#39;s NOT a good idea. you&#39;d be putting the forum at risk of being shut down for linking to illegal host sites. <_<

asmithz
12-06-2003, 11:51 PM
Its about 12 in the netherlands, so most likly paul is asleep. :P

Sparkle1984
12-07-2003, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by james_bond_rulez+6 December 2003 - 22:49--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (james_bond_rulez @ 6 December 2003 - 22:49)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by N£MO@6 December 2003 - 18:15
<!--QuoteBegin-Sparkle1984@6 December 2003 - 18:12

That&#39;s NOT a good idea. you&#39;d be putting the forum at risk of being shut down for linking to illegal host sites. <_< [/b][/quote]
But how can this forum be shut down? I thought it was hosted on a private server.

junkyardking
12-07-2003, 12:30 AM
Yep kazaa lites gone from http://doa2.host.sk/ and the edskes mirror.

It&#39;s already been said with randomnut no longer supporting k+++ that there would be little development, Although there might be a cleaned up version of kmd but thats about it.
I dont see sharmans trying to develop better fasttrack clients as they have clearly stated there focus is on there "legal" DRM(digital rights management) altnet.

I belive somtime in the future sharman network will attempt to shutdown the fasttrack network with an automatic update to there clients there by removing the majority of clients off the network.

I would recommend putting shareaza on the front page the gnutella2 network is far better for speed than slow emule. :D

Schmiggy_JK23
12-07-2003, 12:34 AM
Well, I would definately like paul to come in and let us know his take on this, many of us have been around here for ages, testing builds, and helping this place out.

For instance, whats this mean for future development, is paul, and RN stopping it?

Will they give out their source code for k++ or what have you, so that others may risk the wrath of developing new versions?

Are they continuing developing, and just not advertising, or putting out well known download locations?

Also, how much longer will 2.4.3 work, would a mere update by Sharman block out klite users, and if dev is continued, would the klite app be screwed after such update?

answers anyone?

Belinus
12-07-2003, 04:38 AM
The situation is a double edged sword though. Sharmen must die obviously, but right now only the RIAA and MPAA are in a position to do so...

Of course all 3 need to die.

4play
12-07-2003, 05:15 AM
does anyone else think paul is being very hush hush about this. im thinking he has been told not to mention any details to people by sharman. :angry:

i would give it a while wait for the it to become clear what really happened then we can move on and come up with a few other ways of how to get k++ out there.

untill then i thinks its time for everyone to put it in there shared folders and maybe suprnova if anyone wants to.

God Hack
12-07-2003, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by junkyardking@7 December 2003 - 00:30
I would recommend putting shareaza on the front page the gnutella2 network is far better for speed than slow emule. :D
Not to mention shareaza also includes Bittorrent and the Gnutella1 newtwork...hey even slow Emule/Edonkey is included...Im with you on that man B)

:angry: But this whole thing about K-Lite gettin shut down is BS, who does sharman networks expect to download that crappy spyware infested media desktop crap? How I see it, the only reason the Fasttrack network was surving this long against the RIAA was because of K-Lite users.

I say Screw the fasttrack network, since sharman newtork&#39;s wanna act like this. Nikki Hemming can rot in hell, Kazaa Is finished and it wasn&#39;t the RIAA that destroyed them, they destoryed themselves

Keikan
12-07-2003, 05:40 AM
who does sharman networks expect to download that crappy spyware infested media desktop crap?

Teenie Boppers

2Pac_4_Life
12-07-2003, 09:43 AM
I was reading an article in the zeropaid site that said that sharman was gonna shutdown this website.

You can go read the article your self if you want

http://www.zeropaid.com/news/articles/auto/12052003h.php

imnotanaddict
12-07-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by 2Pac_4_Life@7 December 2003 - 09:43
I was reading an article in the zeropaid site that said that sharman was gonna shutdown this website.

You can go read the article your self if you want

http://www.zeropaid.com/news/articles/auto/12052003h.php
Heres one of the more informative topics on this in this forum. Theres more in "About our website and this Forum".

http://klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=86228

S7a5
12-08-2003, 04:59 AM
Thanks to the developers for the great mods and i hope there will be a way out :huh:

Kane55686
12-08-2003, 05:15 AM
I will definetly upload a copy on a server out of the US, and send to people. I&#39;ll also put it in My Shared Folder... ^_^

Johnny Stecchino
12-08-2003, 06:01 AM
Gents,

What ever happens, don&#39;t panic. That&#39;s exactly what Sharman hopes will happen. The smart thing to do is to continue, but be smart about it.

Random_Nut, do not give up. Know that K-lite is the best p2p software I have ever used, an opinion shared by many. The doa site has also taught me a lot about computer security, like the hosts file, spybot, etc... And for this, I am grateful.

I have donated in past. If you re-start, know that I will support with &#036;&#036;. Know that its a big world, and no one can stop a good thing whose time has come, and especially when people like me are willing to support with &#036;. Know that K-lite is a far, far better PRODUCT than the poor excuses masquarading as "products" that Sharman offers. Your time is here and now - do not sucumb.

What ever happens, DO NOT THROW IN THE TOWEL. Many countries, like China, Russia, etc... to name a few, can easily provide servers out of reach to the legal leeches. Use them. Just don&#39;t quit.

Johnny.

KdOdom7
12-08-2003, 06:07 AM
I have been off the net for a month and a half and I get back on and come to the kazza lite board and theres talk of K-lite being shut down or something&#33; What happened...I can&#39;t read any of the links in the post because they won&#39;t load&#33;
Then I try to search for news and then I search for the Kazza lite site and now theres a Kazza-legal site where you have to pay a one time membership and all this jazz&#33; What happened....did the RIAA get to Kazza And Kazza Lite?
Why did Sharmen do this? Like I asked before what the hell is going on? :angry:

RealitY
12-08-2003, 06:18 AM
http://klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=86228

KdOdom7
12-08-2003, 06:24 AM
Thanx&#33; But the program still works...so does this mean it will get slower and then die out? Is this news as bad as it seems because the program still works&#33;?

RealitY
12-08-2003, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by KdOdom7@7 December 2003 - 22:24
Thanx&#33; But the program still works...so does this mean it will get slower and then die out? Is this news as bad as it seems because the program still works&#33;?
Ehhhhhhhh...

Cyril
12-08-2003, 06:36 AM
So long as those who have used it keep using then should be business as normal. Problem will be people that want to hook up will have trouble finding the KLite program so it needs to be shared by other means, either through other P2P apps, or on peoples websites.

james_bond_rulez
12-08-2003, 06:39 AM
eh?

Schmiggy_JK23
12-08-2003, 09:32 AM
Gentlemen, ladies, we have a problem.

read this, posted here (http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8636)

Can Sharman Networks force Kazaa Lite K++ into extinction?
Posted by Dan Bell on 08 December 2003 - 04:55 - Source: P2pnet

There is an interview over at P2p.net with Slyck News Tom Mennecke, that gives us some more information on the recent Sharman and Kazaa Lite K++ conflict. He says that Sharman can and will systematically terminate Kazaa Lite K++. December 6th Slyck was reporting that almost every mirror for Kazaa Lite K++ had been eliminated. They say Sharman went to each ISP of every website that hosted Kazaa Lite K++ and ordered its removal via the DMCA. Kazaa Lite K++ has been replaced with links to eMule, BitTorrent and SoulSeek. We knew that but here is a further development. It would seem that even if the software is removed, since it uses a decentralised network it would still function. Mr. Mennecke has some troubling thoughts about that.

"This is a gradual process," Slyck&#39;s Tom Mennecke told p2pnet. "It&#39;ll be at least a few weeks before the breakdown is complete."

Back to the Slyck report, "A representative of Sharman Networks spoke to us on the condition of anonymity regarding their current campaign to vanquish Kazaa Lite K++," it says. "Not only has Sharman Networks succeeded in eliminating nearly every major resource of Kazaa Lite K++, they are systematically forcing it off the network. How you ask?

"Recent upgrades to Kazaa clients (2.5 and higher) make them less tolerant with outdated or non official clients such as Kazaa Lite K++. Kazaa Lite is based on a version prior to 2.5, therefore a current supernode will not accept its shares. Although this will cause network headaches in terms of traffic, the client will not be able to participate or download off the main FastTrack network. This will effectively cluster and isolate all modified Kazaa clients from FastTrack.

"Well, won&#39;t Kazaa Lite clients simply form their own sub-FastTrack network?

"Sounds nice, but no. Unfortunately, the developers of Kazaa Lite helped Sharman out tremendously by disabling the supernode function. Very few users who run this client are acting as supernodes. A decentralized P2P network with all clients and no supernodes cannot exist. The effects of this extermination is already taking place, as search times and connection times are deteriorating compared to K+ (the legitimate spyware/adware free version of Kazaa.)

"As time progresses, the Kazaa Lite K++ client will become so unusable that its populace will be driven off the network. This latest act from Sharman punctuates a long history of hypocrisy that involves the protection of their own intellectual property rights, yet blatantly ignoring the copyrights of others."

I used the excellent Kazaa Lite for a very long time and enjoyed the lack of spyware and such...until the RIAA came along. Even though I don&#39;t use it anymore, I have never uninstalled it and it still sets on my Quick Launch Bar, can&#39;t bring myself to remove it. Now there is a battle on two fronts and it saddens me.

I wouldn&#39;t think due to the RIAA, that there would be too many folks out there acting as supernodes anyway. They have been publicly targeted for months as candidates for subpoenas. So maybe Sharman can make Kazaa Lite K++ unusable, I don&#39;t know, hope not.

Special thanks to P2P.net for bringing this to our attention and also Slyck News for the inside information. Feel free to discuss this issue in our Music Downloads, P2P and Legal Issues Forum.

You can see clearly what we need to do. Eventually the k++ client will be on its own, forced off the 2.5 clients part of the network.

The k++ users have to start acting as supernodes, apparently, in order for the k++ app to continue being functional.

quite the conundrum.

ninjamonkey
12-08-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by N£MO+6 December 2003 - 18:15--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (N£MO &#064; 6 December 2003 - 18:15)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Sparkle1984@6 December 2003 - 18:12

I hope we here from him soon. :huh: [/b][/quote]
wouldnt he get in trouble for that?
he would be linking to places where they are hosting klite and then thos epeopel and him would get in trouble.