PDA

View Full Version : Twenty very difficult months

megabyteme
05-27-2022, 02:58 PM
I made my step-dad a promise that he would never go back to a nursing facility again. I kept that promise. It was an awful 20 months that caused severe stress and tension on my family and myself. Instead of appreciating that he had a kind family willing to take care of him, we got a mix of bitterness, manipulation, drug addiction and withdrawal, subversion, and that doesn't even begin to include the physical work it takes to care for someone with advanced Parkinson's disease.

My lack of presence and humor we among many costs of the past (almost) two years.

His sister requested that I send her half of his ashes so that she could spread them in his hometown. I struggled with how I would eventually deal with the awful ways he treated my mother during her last few years and his desire to be scattered with her. I have decided that the half in my possession are all of the good things he used to be: a provider for my mother for over 30 years, a hard worker, a generous and caring man, and the man who got me out of a bad childhood twice when he had no obligation to do so at all.

The good parts of him will rest at Lake Crescent on the Washington coast with my mother. Chances are good our Postal Service will lose/scatter the rest of him on the way to Oregon.

Stehle
05-27-2022, 03:43 PM
You and your family should be commended for all that patience. A noble act of kindness well done.

(Went though something similar many years ago with an Alzheimer’s afflicted family member... I joined FST soon after.)

megabyteme
05-27-2022, 04:00 PM
Thank you. Both Parkinson's and Alzheimer's are horrible. Very sorry for you and your loved one.

I've done my best to make amends for the turmoil my family were brought into without really being allowed to choose. Apologies and money only make up for so much.

Definitely a lot of healing to do ahead of us. Heck, even the house looks like a tornado tore through the interior.

Caballero
05-27-2022, 04:10 PM
You are a saint. It did not rise to the same level, but I can definitely see parallels to the later years of my grandmothers before they passed.

Hope you and yours have some time to focus on yourselves and your own needs going forward.

megabyteme
05-27-2022, 04:38 PM
Ngl Saint Meg has a nice ring to it :D

Truth is that he passed on May 2 and I am just now coming out of a dark shell. There was no emotion that fit with the experience. Nothing feels right about it.

In my mind I pictured somehow making him happy. That's not always possible, it seems. And constantly trying to do so and failing takes a HUGE toll.

I have a few legal things to take care of then we're all headed to stay in the West Wing of Idol's mansion.

IdolEyes787
05-27-2022, 04:42 PM
I made my step-dad a promise that he would never go back to a nursing facility again. I kept that promise. It was an awful 20 months that caused severe stress and tension on my family and myself. Instead of appreciating that he had a kind family willing to take care of him, we got a mix of bitterness, manipulation, drug addiction and withdrawal, subversion, and that doesn't even begin to include the physical work it takes to care for someone with advanced Parkinson's disease.

My lack of presence and humor we among many costs of the past (almost) two years.

His sister requested that I send her half of his ashes so that she could spread them in his hometown. I struggled with how I would eventually deal with the awful ways he treated my mother during her last few years and his desire to be scattered with her. I have decided that the half in my possession are all of the good things he used to be: a provider for my mother for over 30 years, a hard worker, a generous and caring man, and the man who got me out of a bad childhood twice when he had no obligation to do so at all.

The good parts of him will rest at Lake Crescent on the Washington coast with my mother. Chances are good our Postal Service will lose/scatter the rest of him on the way to Oregon.

Your stepfather was a nurse in Lake Crescent?
PS Reading comprehension isn't really my thing.
PPS There goes my theory that this was some sort of leftist plot to have shay replace you.

megabyteme
05-27-2022, 04:50 PM
Your reading comprehension isn't inherently bad, you have simply developed a condition known as Shaylexia.

Janearyngorr
05-27-2022, 06:12 PM
It also told you that all relatives are close to hott to look after him, both you and your sister in the same manner, otherwise it happens that often this responsibility goes to one person

IdolEyes787
05-27-2022, 07:40 PM
In my experience, except for baby polar bears, the world is a pretty bleak place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqMMHAb_sr8

Of course mature polar bears will happily disembowel you but that's a story for another day.

megabyteme
05-27-2022, 08:12 PM
Interesting...I never realized that I sit up just like a baby polar bear.

IdolEyes787
05-27-2022, 10:59 PM
Maybe you're actually a bear. You do shit in the woods afterall.

j2k4
05-27-2022, 11:02 PM
Meg, I have the deepest empathy for you.

I'll recount things a bit later, but suffice it to say - as you know - everything is just below the surface, and the feelings have a tendency to overwhelm.

I'm with you, brother. ;)

megabyteme
05-28-2022, 06:16 AM

I'll have you know I'm a civilized bear. I shit on the sidewalk. :snooty:

megabyteme
05-28-2022, 07:07 AM
Meg, I have the deepest empathy for you.

I'll recount things a bit later, but suffice it to say - as you know - everything is just below the surface, and the feelings have a tendency to overwhelm.

I'm with you, brother. ;)

I really appreciate your kind words of support. It has taken me nearly a month to get this far. Looking back, trying to see if I could have handled things any better. Did my actions lead to any/all of what occurred? Wondering how I managed nearly 20 months of 24/7 care. Looking at myself trying to remember who I was that far back. I used to joke (poorly) and laugh frequently. My own family has *missed* me even though I was constantly in the house.

While I'm still short on answers and sense of it all...I can't imagine not taking him in, nor sending him off even a day sooner. The time he was out of my care was less than 24 hours-- we had paramedics come at 4am, he was in the hospital for a few hours, then passed away during the night at hospice. Every damn doctor, nurse, nurse's aid, social worker I encountered fought with me to put him in a 'skilled' nursing facility. "Nope." "No." "Not going to happen." "I'm coming to pick him up." "That's...just...like your opinion, man." "That's neither his nor my wishes." I met a doctor head-on with that last one who tried to make me meet him at his office to corner me into sending him to a facility. There were even times my wife got pissed enough to tell me he had to go. And there were times I didn't think I could continue.

The guiding light that I followed: I would want someone to fight for me if I were in his position. That's it. That's *all* I had left at times.

j2k4
05-28-2022, 03:16 PM
It's incredibly difficult to sum things up effectively.

I moved my late-eighties folks to the UP from suburban/rural Georgia over the summer of 2018 - selling two houses, buying one and moving two houses, then physically retrieving them and bringing them here.

Three days after we arrived, my Dad entered the hospital with a variety of difficulties and didn't come out for several months - when he passed in September of 2020, he'd been in a nursing facility for 8 months (actually we were supremely fortunate the place was staffed primarily with family and close friends).

My Mom had a fatal heart attack the previous January.

The short version is, when you put yourself in a position where a person inclined to shoulder all burdens - I'm the same way - attempts to do so, what follows isn't always disaster, but it is without fail chaotic.

I have always been a good man in a storm, and everybody knew it.

I didn't have a fucking clue, I really didn't.

You're trying to put yourself back together now, and it's not at all easy.

j2k4
05-28-2022, 03:18 PM

I'll have you know I'm a civilized bear. I shit on the sidewalk. :snooty:

Not to detract from the gravity of events, but I hope this ^^ doesn't mean you've become homeless as well? :unsure:

megabyteme
05-28-2022, 03:49 PM
I read and reread that-- there's so much packed into that small space of your post and that short amount of time. The common details our stories share leaves my (still very much raw) heart aching. A storm hit you and just didn't let up. I don't remember which of the Rocky movies it was in, but I remember Stallone saying something along the lines of, "It doesn't matter how hard you hit, but how many hits you can take and keep moving forward." That was most definitely you.

I was just trying to be playful mixed in with all the weight in this thread. Financially I have never been better, tbh. My heart just hasn't been in it to act on any of it.

IdolEyes787
05-28-2022, 05:01 PM
All this confirms my suspicions that there are no ice flows in the lower 48.

megabyteme
05-28-2022, 05:11 PM
Only in Republican hearts... ��

IdolEyes787
05-28-2022, 06:13 PM
Ted Cruz says that if loving guns is wrong then he don't want to be right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvJj7SN9EWI

j2k4
05-28-2022, 06:20 PM
I read and reread that-- there's so much packed into that small space of your post and that short amount of time. The common details our stories share leaves my (still very much raw) heart aching. A storm hit you and just didn't let up. I don't remember which of the Rocky movies it was in, but I remember Stallone saying something along the lines of, "It doesn't matter how hard you hit, but how many hits you can take and keep moving forward." That was most definitely you.

I was just trying to be playful mixed in with all the weight in this thread. Financially I have never been better, tbh. My heart just hasn't been in it to act on any of it.

You definitely get my point, then.

The immersion (for lack of a better term) is over, the crisis is resolved, and you have to raise your sights to your own future again.

You're way out of practice, like I am, but you'll make it.

As with you, I'm financially secure at the moment - don't owe anyone anything at all.

Remember to breathe, buddy. ;)

megabyteme
05-28-2022, 08:16 PM
We can actually pull together a pretty nice summer after clearing a couple more hurdles. Timing is right.

Let's see if I can correctly pick the location and time for the next big outbreak of vaccine-immune covid!

anon
05-29-2022, 01:18 PM
My own father gradually became the angry, toxic cunt he is today, so I find your plight personally relatable to an extent. I like to think he at least helped in his own way, by providing many bad examples for me to learn from. In any case, after a situation like this the only thing you can do is, as you succinctly put it...

Looking back, trying to see if I could have handled things any better

...and if fulfilling your promise and continuing to do so as the stress grew and the temptation to quit became stronger isn't the best possible output from your side, I have absolutely no idea what is.

As for getting your life back on track, it's best to focus on one problem at at time. May I advice starting by cleaning up after that tornado :happy:

megabyteme
05-29-2022, 05:49 PM
My actual father was exactly that-- such a bad example that I used him as a blueprint for what NOT to be. So sorry to hear you got a bad one, too. If he's everything you aren't, that's certainly someone who deserves no respect whatsoever.

As always, you have just the right words. Thank you, my friend!

Funkin'
06-06-2022, 11:33 PM
Coincidence. I just had and mri and a DAT scan for parkinsons. God am I lucky that I don't have it. But they just can't pinpoint why I'm getting these trermors.

I hope you're doing well, Meg.

j2k4
06-06-2022, 11:51 PM
Coincidence. I just had and mri and a DAT scan for parkinsons. God am I lucky that I don't have it. But they just can't pinpoint why I'm getting these trermors.

Hope you're okay, but I have heard such symptoms are among those experienced by some who suffer Long-Covid, insofar as it is still a somewhat amorphous term.

I had a bit of that my last go-'round - had tremors the first time, not the last.

IdolEyes787
06-07-2022, 12:13 AM
But they just can't pinpoint why I'm getting these trermors.

Have the doctors checked for giant subterranean worms?

megabyteme
06-10-2022, 03:44 PM

Man, so sorry to hear you are going through that. Hope they find something easy to solve soon.

This also brings up the problem with a fair and just God. Why would a good man like you suffer health problems when someone like Idol would go without severe damnation? "What about his rotting genitals and leaking anal cavity?", you ask. Those are simply consequences from years of depravity and man whoring, not the empty darkness of his soul.

IdolEyes787
06-10-2022, 04:31 PM
Laugh and the world laughs with you; whine and you whine alone, whiner.

IdolEyes787
06-10-2022, 04:32 PM
Speaking of God's chosen people, I wonder where shay is?

IdolEyes787
06-10-2022, 04:35 PM
Chosin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Chosin_Reservoir

Instead of movies about this, Hollywood liberals give me Ms Marvel.

IdolEyes787
06-10-2022, 04:43 PM
I knew there must be some legitimate reason not to put the gheys in charge of stuff.

megabyteme
06-10-2022, 05:20 PM
Mmmmm....Korea. Land of uber violent revenge films and bulgogi. :wub:

IdolEyes787
06-10-2022, 08:59 PM
Chick Corea. Neither a chick nor Korean.:no:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_ZwNQvTYGI

IdolEyes787
06-11-2022, 12:00 PM
Meg, is it true that your State is best known for large trees and serial killers? If so which category do you fall under?

megabyteme
06-11-2022, 12:55 PM
I was going to mock the title of Chick Corea's album, but about 4 seconds into the music, I was enjoying it.

megabyteme
06-11-2022, 12:57 PM
Serial killers are good for the environment. :shifty:

megabyteme
06-11-2022, 01:03 PM

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe he's playing Bingo and engaging in elderly sex parties in Florida. Something about 18 holes a day...

j2k4
06-11-2022, 02:50 PM

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe he's playing Bingo and engaging in elderly sex parties in Florida. Something about 18 holes a day...

Shay, they sure do miss you when you're gone.;)

IdolEyes787
06-11-2022, 04:17 PM
Meg says that the universe demands there be a yin to his yang.

Notwithstanding that shay thinks that yin and yang are the first two people who came down with COVID.

IdolEyes787
06-11-2022, 05:38 PM
Shay, they sure do miss you when you're gone.;) As a dog misses fleas.

IdolEyes787
06-11-2022, 05:41 PM
So Faux News went commercial free during the hearings to avoid viewers changing the channel and inadvertently be subjected to facts. Cool.

IdolEyes787
06-11-2022, 05:45 PM
Serial killers are good for the environment. :shifty: If a serial killer plants a victim in the forest does he make a sound?

IdolEyes787
06-11-2022, 05:48 PM
Related note. Why seemingly aren't there any American serial killers anymore? Improved interagency communication or that the killers have gotten smarter?

megabyteme
06-11-2022, 10:37 PM
Serial killers are good for the environment. :shifty: If a serial killer plants a victim in the forest does he make a sound?

*shush* *scoop* *crying and pleading for their life* blah blah blah [repeat for like 45 minutes]

Sometimes it's barely worth making them dig their own shallow grave .

To answer your question, far too much sound :dry:

megabyteme
06-11-2022, 10:43 PM
Related note. Why seemingly aren't there any American serial killers anymore? Improved interagency communication or that the killers have gotten smarter?

My honest guess is that law enforcement and politicians do everything they can to NOT identify someone as a serial killer. It gives the entire area a bad image and we can't actually expect LE to make the effort to actually solve a difficult case.

Plus minorities are less likely to become serial killers and who wants to go around arresting whites??

IdolEyes787
06-12-2022, 12:08 AM
Luckily the Beltway Sniper killings took place a long time ago so Fox News didn't have to decide whether they should blame the Blacks, the Muslims or the gheys.

https://inews.co.uk/culture/television/washington-sniper-attacks-2022-who-killers-how-many-died-channel-4-documentary-1419981

Btw The Atlanta Child Murderer was also black and ghey so that may be a pattern the FBI should look into.

megabyteme
06-12-2022, 12:54 AM
Btw The Atlanta Child Murderer was also black and ghey so that may be a pattern the FBI should look into.

I've always been a bit suspicious about Lil Nas.

anon
06-14-2022, 05:42 PM

But everyone here expects you to die in an orgy with four Eastern European prostitutes, one of which is actually a cyborg packed with cocaine... you won't let us down, will you?

anon
06-14-2022, 05:42 PM

He found an even more reliable source of information: Pro Trump News.

anon
06-27-2022, 06:20 AM
For megabyteme and company.

Funkin'
06-27-2022, 01:43 PM
I'm sorry for what you went through meg. That's really rough. I hope you're coping somewhat ok with what happened.

I had a similar situation with my mom just two years ago. I'll be going to Hawaii soon and that's where her ashes will be laid. The only reason I was able to deal with all of that, and still able to deal with it mentally, is a HUGE thanks to big pharma.

anon
06-27-2022, 09:43 PM
The only reason I was able to deal with all of that, and still able to deal with it mentally, is a HUGE thanks to big pharma.

Shill.

megabyteme
06-27-2022, 11:29 PM
*record screech...* "You are probably wondering why these two large Italian men are throwing me in the trunk of this car... To get to this point we have to go back to last week when an internet friend suggested I ease my life problems with BIG Pharma..."

IdolEyes787
06-28-2022, 07:57 PM
If nothing else the drugs have allowed Funkin' to get rid of that stubborn sense of humour. So at least there's that.

Thanks, Pfizer.

anon
06-29-2022, 08:33 AM
Please, like mixing cider with wine and Fanta wouldn't have accomplished the same thing.

IdolEyes787
06-29-2022, 11:43 AM
I'm thinking something that random you could only speak of from personal experience.

anon
06-29-2022, 08:55 PM
Not personal personal experience, but personal experience indeed.

j2k4
07-05-2022, 08:25 PM
I was "locked" in the trunk of my Grandfather's '63 Biscayne with his neighbor's 15-year-old daughter for a few hours, long ago.

She had a year on me, so I let her take a few liberties, with none of the normally-attendant guilt.

After a few rounds, I let us out after I "figured out" how to remove the rear seat cushion.

megabyteme
07-05-2022, 11:40 PM
I forgot that I had said something about the trunk of a car and thought you had told us this teenager sex story completely at random. :lol:

IdolEyes787
07-06-2022, 01:04 AM
I was looking up Biscayne and there was a remarkable amount of variation over the years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-WBZMRFFkU

anon
07-06-2022, 01:37 AM
I was "locked" in the trunk of my Grandfather's '63 Biscayne with his neighbor's 15-year-old daughter for a few hours, long ago.

She had a year on me, so I let her take a few liberties, with none of the normally-attendant guilt.

After a few rounds, I let us out after I "figured out" how to remove the rear seat cushion.

Ah, the 60s version of Fake Taxi.