PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Newbie Gets The Runaround

Lamsey
12-08-2003, 12:39 AM
OK - it's another "screwed via eBay" story....

I recently bought an Acer Travelmate 223X laptop from eBay - it had a dodgy screen and a missing hard drive, which I have replaced, all well and good. In total it cost me £350 (so far).

Specs:

Intel Celeron-M 1.13GHz
256MB PC133 SDRAM
Integrated Intel graphics
Integrated sound
4GB hard drive ( :( )
24x CDROM drive
14.1" TFT
Integrated LAN, USB, etc
Windows XP Pro license

Not a bad deal for £350 - the HD could be bigger but it suffices for what I'm using it for (uni work and a second home PC); I can always upgrade the HD later if necessary.

Here comes the but.

The battery doesn't work. Running on AC power, it runs like a dream - but will that battery work? Nope. And can I get anything done about it by the seller? Nope - we made a deal over the screen replacement and the matter is now concluded.

So basically I am left with a laptop that only works if I can get access to a plug socket, which is OK for most uses but does rather limit its usefulness for university work - I can't use it in lectures, etc.

I'd like to get it fixed but the problem is I don't know whether it is the battery or the battery interface that is dead. If it's the battery then that's fine - I can get a new one. Expensive, but probably worth it. If it's the interface then there's no way it can be repaired.

When I plug the battery into the laptop along with the AC adapter, the "battery charging" LED lights up but no charge seems to be transferred to the battery. Windows detects no battery, and the machine won't boot without the AC supply. The battery isn't visibly damaged; nor is the interface.

Does anyone know of any way that I can tell where the problem lies?

Virtualbody1234
12-08-2003, 01:05 AM
If you leave it charging overnight does it even take a little charge? Maybe just a few seconds worth?

Lamsey
12-08-2003, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@8 December 2003 - 00:05
If you leave it charging overnight does it even take a little charge? Maybe just a few seconds worth?
No - tried that, but it doesn't make any difference. :(

james_bond_rulez
12-08-2003, 01:21 AM
you could try the new battery at the store.... :unsure:

Evil Gemini
12-08-2003, 01:25 AM
Yeah good idea, you should take it down to a store that has the batteries and just ask if you can try it a new battery.

3RA1N1AC
12-08-2003, 01:26 AM
major electronic items...

... one of the few things that i absolutely refuse to buy through ebay, 'cause they're the ones most likely to have problems (or turn out to be a "grab the money & disappear" scam). i've been shopping on ebay for years, but still wouldn't buy electronics there. :unsure:

Lamsey
12-08-2003, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@8 December 2003 - 00:26
major electronic items...

... one of the few things that i absolutely refuse to buy through ebay, 'cause they're the ones most likely to have problems (or turn out to be a "grab the money & disappear" scam). i've been shopping on ebay for years, but still wouldn't buy electronics there. :unsure:
I know that now :(

In response to the idea about trying the batteries out at the shop: would be ideal, but I don't know of anywhere that sells these batteries ove rthe counter - it seems to be a specific type I need which I can only get by mail order.

The code on the battery is BTP-43D1.

james_bond_rulez
12-08-2003, 01:46 AM
ahh i just thought about this: even if they carry it in shops it wouldn't be charged. so .. heh

u r in no luck....

but if windows can detect it while charging then there might be hope for ur laptop...

Virtualbody1234
12-08-2003, 02:32 AM
Maybe you could connect some very thin wires to the battery terminals and close the cover. You could then test to see it there was any voltage present when it says 'charging'. Just an idea...

callum
12-08-2003, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@8 December 2003 - 02:32
Maybe you could connect some very thin wires to the battery terminals and close the cover. You could then test to see it there was any voltage present when it says 'charging'. Just an idea...
I thinking about a similar idea, but i think the battery has several terminals.
Might not be to easy to work out which ones, I'm only going by a picture i saw.

Virtualbody1234
12-08-2003, 02:56 AM
Ok, time to close this thread. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lamsey
12-08-2003, 10:11 AM
Yeah - there are about six pins. It would also be difficult to test the battery interface, because it's right inside the laptop - although I guess I could try opening it up.

Illuminati
12-08-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Lamsey@8 December 2003 - 02:32
In response to the idea about trying the batteries out at the shop: would be ideal, but I don't know of anywhere that sells these batteries ove rthe counter - it seems to be a specific type I need which I can only get by mail order.

The code on the battery is BTP-43D1.
Well Lamsey, allow me to suggest the miracle that is Google :rolleyes:

This is a known fact - Type in any unique ID code and you're likely to find it (unless two seperate items have exactly the same code :unsure:). The reason for this is that there are 101 different ID coding formats all over the place so the numbers of unique codes are endless ;)

i.e. Type in "BTP-43D1" and you're likely to get solely information on that part. Maybe even where to get it

I'm at college right now so I'm not sure whether it will or not, but it's worth a try ;)

BawA
12-08-2003, 12:53 PM
i think the £350 for that crap is becuz of licensed windows if not then i get 10 time better pc with it.

lynx
12-08-2003, 12:59 PM
Just so you're aware, there's also a BTP-48D1 available which is NiMh rather than Li-ion. It's obviously a lot heavier, but it's also a lot cheaper.

Lamsey
12-08-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Illuminati@8 December 2003 - 11:44
Wow... I never thought of that.

[/sarcasm]

@Lynx: I saw that one, but wouldn't it have a much shorter life because it uses NiMh?

@bawa: If you can find me a working laptop with better specs for less than £400 then I'll be very impressed. I'd also like to see a PC that is ten times better than this one.

RGX
12-08-2003, 08:31 PM
I'd just like to stick up for some Ebay electronics traders, my brother is one and is extremley good and fair at what he does, he is a power seller ;)

It's sad that you got screwed Lamsey, wherever there is a system, there is someone who will attempt to abuse it, or screw people over through it :(

Illuminati
12-08-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Lamsey+8 December 2003 - 19:55--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lamsey @ 8 December 2003 - 19:55)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Illuminati@8 December 2003 - 11:44
Wow... I never thought of that.

[/sarcasm] [/b][/quote]
Well you can&#39;t have looked far, because there&#39;s plenty of retailers when you search for the battery&#39;s code :P

Google Search for "BTP-43D1" (http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=BTP-43D1&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&meta=)

Oops - Saw that you were looking for a retailer rather than mail order :"> But it was still a valid point ;)

Cheapest I&#39;ve found it is £116.33 (£99 + VAT) here (http://www.laptopbits.co.uk/products/BTP-43D1-728.htm).

lynx
12-08-2003, 11:53 PM
BTP-43D1 - 4000mAh.
BTP-48D1 - 4500mAh.

I&#39;m pretty sure they have to make them approximately the same rating because of the charger characteristics.

Doesn&#39;t help in finding out whether it&#39;s the battery unfortunately.

You could try calling Acer on 0870 9002237 to find a local reseller. Then call in and explain the problem, they may have a used one in stock to try to diagnose the problem. If it&#39;s the battery, you can always look horrified when you find out the price (and you probably will be when you find out the reseller price).

Or try Comcal (Scotland) Ltd on 0141 332 5147 or Home Page (http://www.comcal.net)

BawA
12-09-2003, 06:57 AM
@Lamsey
u live in UK mybe there 2nd hand computer r expensive but here in UAE u get a pIII 1.0for 80&#036; with good Hardware Spec.

3RA1N1AC
12-09-2003, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by RGX@8 December 2003 - 12:31
I&#39;d just like to stick up for some Ebay electronics traders, my brother is one and is extremley good and fair at what he does, he is a power seller ;)
a good feedback list does count for something. i&#39;d be a lot more confident in sending a few hundred dollars to a guy with several hundred positives and only five or ten negatives, than to somebody who&#39;s completed fewer than twenty sales.

Lamsey
12-09-2003, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by bawa@Klite_user@9 December 2003 - 05:57
@Lamsey
u live in UK mybe there 2nd hand computer r expensive but here in UAE u get a pIII 1.0for 80&#036; with good Hardware Spec.
You can get a laptop (not a desktop) with a PIII 1.0 and matching specs for &#036;80? http://www.mcbriens.net/liam/img/smilies/raisebrow.gif

edit: yeah, the guy did have good feedback :(

BawA
12-09-2003, 09:21 AM
No :blink:
Laptop is way expensive even 2nd hand, mybe ma mistake i didnt know ur talking about laptop :unsure:

Lamsey
12-09-2003, 09:26 AM
Thought so; otherwise I was planning a trip to Dubai&#33; :lol:

BawA
12-09-2003, 09:30 AM
if ur coming to dubai u can buy some thing for me in uk and bring it with u cuz i can get it here and in return i can give u tour in dubai :D

uNz[i]
12-09-2003, 10:26 AM
umm... don&#39;t know if this service is available in the UK, but around my area there are shops that speciallize in replacing the worn out innards of old rechargeable batteries used in mobile phones, power tools and yes, laptops. The service is called "repacking"

Repacking is cheaper than buying a new battery and the environmentalists like it too.

Hope that helps. :)

Livy
12-09-2003, 02:15 PM
there used to me a desktop notebook on ebuyer a wee while ago, it had a 1ghz cpu and bout 256mb ram i think for about 350 new, it didnt come with a battery coz i was aiming at the desktop market, but with laptop size, you can buy the battery seperate for 60, http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/in...&subcat_uid=486 (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd3N1YmNhdGVnb3J5X3BhZ2U=&subcat_uid=486)

but they dont seem to have it any more.

Lamsey
12-09-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by uNz[i]@9 December 2003 - 09:26
umm... don&#39;t know if this service is available in the UK, but around my area there are shops that speciallize in replacing the worn out innards of old rechargeable batteries used in mobile phones, power tools and yes, laptops. The service is called "repacking"

Repacking is cheaper than buying a new battery and the environmentalists like it too.

Hope that helps. :)
Haven&#39;t managed to find anyone in the UK doing it... although it seems to be very popular is Australia :blink:

Livy
12-09-2003, 04:40 PM
or, if you find out what the pins are for, and rig up a car battery to use on your laptop? as it will probably last alot longer. :D

Lamsey
12-09-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Livy@9 December 2003 - 15:40
or, if you find out what the pins are for, and rig up a car battery to use on your laptop? as it will probably last alot longer. :D
http://www.mcbriens.net/liam/img/smilies/lol.gif

That would be fun, trying to cycle with that on my back :blink:

Livy
12-09-2003, 05:01 PM
you may want to invest in one of these then

http://www.hudsonwright.net/images/products/605/605021.jpg

http://www.hudsonwright.net/product.asp?cat=605E&pid=605021

Lamsey
12-09-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Livy@9 December 2003 - 16:01

:rolleyes: That would cost considerably more than a new laptop battery ;)

Livy
12-09-2003, 05:04 PM
going a little back on topic.

what your house insurance like for covering of damaged items.

i mean, what if it acidentaly fell of your desk. and "Broke"

and then the battery didnt work. and what even else broke when it "fell"

Livy
12-09-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Lamsey+9 December 2003 - 17:04--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lamsey @ 9 December 2003 - 17:04)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Livy@9 December 2003 - 16:01

:rolleyes: That would cost considerably more than a new laptop battery ;) [/b][/quote]
but you would get more life out of the car battery, and you can probably fit a few in there so you could run it off the batteries for about a week,

Lamsey
12-09-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Livy@9 December 2003 - 16:04

I&#39;m not that bothered about the battery that I&#39;d try that - probably wouldn&#39;t anyway - not keen on insurance scams.

I&#39;m reasonably happy with the laptop as it is but I would like to get this seen to if possible - I just need some way of diagnosing the problem :unsure:

Livy
12-09-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Lamsey+9 December 2003 - 17:11--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lamsey @ 9 December 2003 - 17:11)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Livy@9 December 2003 - 16:04

I&#39;m not that bothered about the battery that I&#39;d try that - probably wouldn&#39;t anyway - not keen on insurance scams.

I&#39;m reasonably happy with the laptop as it is but I would like to get this seen to if possible - I just need some way of diagnosing the problem :unsure: [/b][/quote]
if you could find the pin outs, you could either try charging the battery with a charger, see if that works, or try runnning something else of the battery? or try running the laptop of a car battery, if possible, at least then by seeing if it charges, then theres something wrong with the charging side, and if it doesnt charge, prob battery. or if it is charged and oes run something else, you know it the getting the power to the laptop. and so on.

Lamsey
12-10-2003, 12:51 AM
OK, new development. I had always assumed that the &#39;battery&#39; reported under Windows (in the Power Management Properties) was the AC power supply, but I&#39;ve just found out that it is actually the battery.

Assumptions will be the death of me.

It comes up as online, Li-ion and 97% charged. When I take out the battery, it disappears. When I reinsert it, it reappears.

However if I take out the AC adaptor then no power comes out of the battery at all. Anyone got any ideas? I think it must be a problem somewhere in the power connection - the charging connection must be ok :unsure:

Illuminati
12-10-2003, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by Livy@9 December 2003 - 18:04

:o That seems so dodgy, so deceitful, so underhanded...

Have you been taking notes behind my back again? :D

Livy
12-10-2003, 03:19 AM
to confirm that the battery is charged, try running something of it. and also phsically look at the pins on the battery and the port to see if there all ok, and also open it up and look at it inside if you can, and do a visual check on it.

Lamsey
12-10-2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Livy@10 December 2003 - 02:19
to confirm that the battery is charged, try running something of it. and also phsically look at the pins on the battery and the port to see if there all ok, and also open it up and look at it inside if you can, and do a visual check on it.
Will try something in uni if I get a chance - have to try and lay my hands on a multimeter or something though :huh: